Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

what is cycling culture exactly and how is it cancer??

There are three central pillars (E: of commuter cycling in London)

Gotta go fast all the time and gently caress those pedestrians crossing/red lights/giant blind spot truck that they're undertaking at a junction

Don't know or care that they're dangerous to everyone around them because 1) cars bad, 2) so I can do whatever I like

Spend sickening amounts of money on carbon fibre racing bullshit that they use to commute 10km twice a week through heavy traffic, because why not turn every hobby into consumer capitalism

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 24, 2022

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

nice fucken bike, sir

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Strategic Tea posted:

Don't know or care that they're dangerous to everyone around them because 1) cars bad, 2) so I can do whatever I like

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
changing my stem from 100 to 90mm for a better cockpit :hai:

also new gold KMC chain comin.

i got a GRAN FONDO to ride a week from sunday.

:haibrow:

Strategic Tea posted:

:yeah:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

was carrying my bike down the escalator to the train the other day and a guy said hey nice bike and we had a nice conversation about bikes

edit: gently caress cagers

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
One time a Jimmy Johns cyclist shouted me down and called me a pussy for having a front brake on my bike. I saw him blow thru a four way against the light without brakes or a helmet and into traffic on a one way street like a week later. It made me so hard.

Also my city has this legend we call Bumper Bike Guy. He straps the front bumper of a car to the front of his bike and is a hilarious menace on the road. He rolled up to me at a red on this loving thing once. He’s like “Hey, I’m Bumper Bike Guy!” Like yeah bro no poo poo I love you keep being real.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
maybe my fav cycling video ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbCzWRnKCaI

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i ridded the bike now ima drinked the beer

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://i.imgur.com/9fRpOMG.mp4

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

I like the Mexico City one he filmed. The videos are kind of hypnotic to watch, but man is some of the behavior pretty antisocial. One vid had him following someone diving between two lanes of moving perpendicular traffic and it's just scary to watch.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm riding 50 miles this weekend for the ADA Tour De Cure. I need help on food to bring.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

So expensive, but very nice

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

No. 6 posted:

I'm riding 50 miles this weekend for the ADA Tour De Cure. I need help on food to bring.

Nuts, granola bars, and a snickers.
A drink bottle with some gatorade mix does wonders too.

Remember to use sunscreen.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

interwhat posted:

The fact that $3-4000 is what you'll shell out for a "lovely" road bike or mountain bike is insanely depressing.

Funny though, I was given a 15 years old specialized hard tail and hit the Alum Creek black diamond trail in Ohio and had the most fun I've had in over a decade since riding the mean streets of Philly.

The electronic suspensions and e mountain bikes are really fuckin cool, but at the same time like let's just take all the fun out of the sport. Like yea I'm gonna go real hard on this sick rear end trail and totally risk sending my $15,000 setup into a tree.

Still have my 56cm Fuji track comp with gold velocity deep v's(discontinued) if anyone wants to make me an offer!

$100

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Lt. Cock posted:

One time a Jimmy Johns cyclist shouted me down and called me a pussy for having a front brake on my bike. I saw him blow thru a four way against the light without brakes or a helmet and into traffic on a one way street like a week later. It made me so hard.

Also my city has this legend we call Bumper Bike Guy. He straps the front bumper of a car to the front of his bike and is a hilarious menace on the road. He rolled up to me at a red on this loving thing once. He’s like “Hey, I’m Bumper Bike Guy!” Like yeah bro no poo poo I love you keep being real.

I'm assuming you're from PGH because there's a Bumper Bike Guy who is a legend around here. I'd always see him riding slowly up and down Ellsworth with a trail of angry cars behind him. I think he ended up getting arrested for robbery, hopefully he springs the joint soon.

I love biking here and ride the streets a lot but there's a lot of angry drivers who get mad and yell at me to ride on the sidewalk (especially when I'm riding down steep hills and the sidewalk is often a staircase). Keeps me fit as a fiddle though and biking to work is a blast, as is blowing past MAMIL trail riding spandex sausages on my big heavy steel commuter bike.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Yep.

I’m pretty sure Bumper Bike Guy has been in and out of jail a few times. He’s disappeared and reappeared repeatedly as long as I’ve lived here. The bike and the bumper aren’t always the same either, so he’s got a method down for putting that idiot thing together.

As hilly and windy as this city is, I can’t imagine trying to ride that thing around like he does.

Also, say what you will about Peduto, but bike infrastructure has gotten a lot better since 2010 when I showed up. I’ve got routes most places nowadays with pretty safe bike lane.

Lt. Cock fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 25, 2022

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

No. 6 posted:

So expensive, but very nice
when i was racing and had a great shop hookup i built a race bike for about $5k cad that got wrecked when i got hit by a car but it got appraised for $12k cad for the replacement price and i went insane and built a dream bike and spared no expense.

unfortunately ICBC, the only loving car insurance company in my province, has been dragging their rear end on the whole thing despite having a lawyer so i basically ended up buying it out of pocket and putting it on a line of credit lol, but this year im hoping to finally get a cheque for the bike and for my injury

wouldnt ever build that kind of bike again unless i won the lottery, but i make sure to ride it lots

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
always makes me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsk3zAZyLaQ

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

thats when the new eTap came out. i had a chance to borrow a friends bike that was equipped with it and its got shifting lag and im sure all sorts of other issues. its brutal. and too bad because mechanical sram red was ehhhh well i liked it. as long as you had a chain catch on the front. the rear mech was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E4vRtC7IcY

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Chinatown posted:

changing my stem from 100 to 90mm for a better cockpit :hai:

also new gold KMC chain comin.

i got a GRAN FONDO to ride a week from sunday.
its all about dialing the setup, funny how much 10 mm can make

the gold chain rules, if you know you know

for the gran fondo just make sure to fuel properly and you will be fine, like you can go hard and gas yourself and recover as long as you eat, i usually eat at 30-45 minute intervals like half a granola bar or some Sport Candy, oatmeal and an egg for breakfast is a good one

take a bunch of pics and enjoy that post fondo beer, its the best there are!!!! last year i had my moto to distract me and went hiking a bunch so this summer im really gonna try and get back on the bike

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Im a cyclist

Only because I hate driving, my partner and I own a car, but litteraly everything we need is a short distance away from home

Both our works are < 5 minutes cycle

The local shops are a 10 minutes ride away and we get our groceries delivered so it's odds and ends like milk ,proteins or dried goods which I can easily carry on my ad-hoc cargo bike

And the city is a 20 minute cycle, which is a bit annoying but it's still better than the 13 minutes car ride and 10 minute drive around to find a spot and then walk from

I even bolted a car battery , some headlights and a car horn to my cargo bike
Being able to honk at people is Grand

I love cycling life

My end goal is a

speedy recumbent ,for fun
A cargo bakfiet ,for moving things
And a Brompton style folder for everything in-between

Ad-hoc cargo runner

Has a surprising amount of carrying capacity and a modular system for carrying awkward loads

My commutor roadie

And old steel road bike from '85 got it for 25 dollars and gave it a paint job and some new hardware, mudguards and 32c wheels for commuting on uneven surfaces and a parcel rack with a compatible modular system to my cargo bike should I need to mix and match

Jestery fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 26, 2022

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

its all about dialing the setup, funny how much 10 mm can make

the gold chain rules, if you know you know

for the gran fondo just make sure to fuel properly and you will be fine, like you can go hard and gas yourself and recover as long as you eat, i usually eat at 30-45 minute intervals like half a granola bar or some Sport Candy, oatmeal and an egg for breakfast is a good one

take a bunch of pics and enjoy that post fondo beer, its the best there are!!!! last year i had my moto to distract me and went hiking a bunch so this summer im really gonna try and get back on the bike

Thanks bruv.

Went to my LBS yesterday and they hooked me up with a BMC stem for 50% off from a bike they sold and modified for a customer. Feels way better.

Looking forward to the ride. Leanin' towards Cacio e Pepe for my last supper.

Italian bike demands a gold chain. Gonna go on dis bad boy:

:italy:

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I ride a fixie and I have very big quads.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Kaewan posted:

how long can u skid bruh

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Nuts, granola bars, and a snickers.
A drink bottle with some gatorade mix does wonders too.

Remember to use sunscreen.

I was gonna bring a couple PBJ on multigrain bread, a Kind bar, and might look into a sport drink powder.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I hate any bike which cannot freewheel. Single speeds are fine, but there is no advantage to fixed bicycles.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I totally get the fixed gear no brakes on a closed track , the feeling of connectedness and sleep and direct connection

On the streets, its just irresponsible

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
sometimes i like to bike upstream on one way roads downtown dont @ me

:blastu:

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Jestery posted:

I totally get the fixed gear no brakes on a closed track , the feeling of connectedness and sleep and direct connection

On the streets, its just irresponsible

I have a front brake, I don’t feel the need to change my back tire every other week.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Kaewan posted:

fixies are the worst dude. get some real brakes

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

:aaaaa:
I was certain while watching this that it was going to end with the guy crashing into something/someone. I love cycling but I keep to paved trails as much as possible and even then try to avoid high-use times.

I'm glad I live in the burbs though because city cycling, even responsibly, seems crazy dangerous.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

AuroMarshmallow posted:

I'm glad I live in the burbs though because city cycling, even responsibly, seems crazy dangerous.

I ride in urban city streets alot, albeit not as insane as this guy, but you do develop a sense of "flow" and how traffic and light patterns work. Its pretty fun.

the drivers are way worse and hate cyclist much more in the suburbs too.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 27, 2022

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

If I can get bigger quads faster with any other style bike lemme know.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

brakes are death

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Kaewan posted:

I have a front brake, I don’t feel the need to change my back tire every other week.

Then I have no issue with your setup

The no brakes dudes just infuriate me

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Jestery posted:

The no brakes dudes just infuriate me

:qq:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

:negcycle:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
mods and cops are scum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj6YXF5qh7w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Finished my 50 mile charity ride with an average pace of 17.5. Not bad considering I was mostly solo for the ride.

PBJ and Kind bars worked again. I might invest in gels in the future for anything over 30 miles. It's tough to force eat.

Got my first puncture! Years of riding and managed to escape unscathed until today. An industrial staple poked right through the rear tire and pierced the tube.

I fortunately bought 'peel and stick' patches yesterday. I also brought a pump! Sadly the pump was not up to snuff but a helpful rider let me use one of his CO2 carts which I'll certainly carry from now on. Instant filled tire is a joy, just be sure to fit the wheel on the bike first. Almost couldn't get the filled 700x28s past the calipers.