Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
Bikes do rule. I was a bike mechanic for about 10 years and I used to really like mountain biking and used to have a ton of knowledge about that part of the hobby and had some really nice bikes I built up. Recently I tried getting rad while clipped in and going really fast and broke my spine and my neck and a bunch of ribs, lol. I still like to ride, but find I am pretty timid now, and also the recovery has made me chunky and slower than I used to be. My current MTB is a low specced 27.5+ hardtail, but it still rules to go out and ride on it.

I get the appeal of road biking but I like being in nature and off paved paths, so I picked up a gravel bike this this year and am excited for the snow to clear off the trails so I can get out there. I've also discovered how fun winter mountain biking is, but it's very condition dependent and this year either the trail conditions sucked or it was -30 outside. I can't stand anything colder than -20, so I missed most of the season.

A cool thing about cycling is that you can go an ride by yourself and have a ton of fun, or you can go roll with people who you enjoy the sport with. If you find you're outpaced by your peers and aren't having fun, you can go by yourself and train and make steady improvements while still have a blast. I've met lots of cool people through this hobby (and lots of really lame people) and am happy to see it steadily becoming more inclusive and popular over the past decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Zeluth posted:

Walk into traffic, bike with traffic can sometimes be a load of horse poo poo depending on where you live. The out door style is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6t5eDe5gUE

My city has pretty good bicycle infrastructure through a large part of it, and a massive network of river valley trails so I am lucky there.

The man in that video has both insane bicycle skills and trust in his own abilities.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Juando290 posted:

Bikes are great…but wear a helmet. I learned that one the hard way back in 2016 when a lady hit me head on with her Civic. Concussion, TBI, exposed skull (I am still shocked at how the plastic surgeon made me look….passably normal)

Took me three years to get back on a bike after that. Good news though, I just took delivery yesterday of a new bike trailer for my soon to be one year old daughter, so I am getting back out there and I want her to enjoy it too.

Glad to hear you're recovery is going well :)

Also, yes to helmets. When I had my big crash I was out cold for about 15 seconds. The first thing I saw when I came to was the remains of my expensive new helmet on the ground next to me. It looked like someone had taken a sledgehammer to it. As far as my injuries went, I somehow escaped without a concussion or any other brain injuries. Without the helmet, I would have died instantly.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Nooner posted:

Lmbo ya thats cool, i was a skateboard mechanic for a while myself :jerkbag:

Lol what the gently caress is this reply even trying to say. I'm sorry for sharing my love of and involvement in this hobby?