Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zoran posted:

If you only ever play Conquest, or if you play Birthright but don’t marry any of your Hoshidan siblings, then I’m pretty sure you never find out they’re not actually related to you.

Yup. You only discover you're not actually related after you decide to S-rank one in Birthright, or if you play Revelation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Which is to say, after you have decided "Okay, I really need to get in on this incest-action."

It'd be nice if a bit of the dialogue had been changed to make Nohr less obviously evil, for example Azura saying that while the queen treats her like her own child, most of the people of Hoshido still consider her a Nohrian and that she would like to see her siblings again. There's definitely room for her to resent being kidnapped here.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The good guy Garon mod, where azura still goes "gently caress no, I don't want to move back. That Garon guy is evil as poo poo."

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Azura is well aware of the evil dragon possession. She doesn't know how much it has progressed, but assuming Garon is gone and only Anankos remains is safe even if in "G"GG there's still a lot of resistance.

In Birthright explaining the possession would be mostly pointless. I mean, what is Hoshido supposed to do about it, fight Garon? They're already on it princess.

In Conquest she actually tells. Eventually. I don't really remember when, but I do remember the script massively faceplanting on this.

In Revelations everyone is on the same page, all the royals on both sides are smoking the peace pipe while singing kumbaya, while possibly doing some inter-kingdom diplomacy in private if you know what I mean.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 3, 2022

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Omobono posted:

In Revelations everyone is on the same page, all the royals on both sides are smoking the peace pipe while singing kumbaya, while possibly doing some inter-kingdom diplomacy in private if you know what I mean.

In Revelations the entire cast jumps off a cliff because Corrin asks nicely.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

wereboat posted:

My favorite part about this statement is that it's completely literal.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

wereboat posted:

I love/hate this stupid game so much sometimes.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Hey everyone, I know a lot of us know the story, but I'm still going to insist on spoiler tags for stuff that we haven't covered yet. (Talking about things in Birthright or Revelation that don't occur or aren't revealed in Conquest is fine, but if it touches on or hints at the events in Conquest, best to tag it.)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puXcDRgDHpg

The final chapter before we begin Conquest proper. Our family reunion is spoiled.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i've been watching you on youtube for a while and didn't think to check this subforum because your production quality is so high that it couldn't possibly be an LP! :v:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Thanks! I just try to make videos I can be proud of. :)

The funny thing is that I was far more nervous about posting an LP here than I ever was about just putting one out into the vast YouTube wilderness.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 5, 2022

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Man, this LP is so...calculated. I suppose it has to be if you're attempting the mammoth task of training everyone, but...every move, every level, accounted for.

I love it. :getin:

I wonder if this would be doable on Birthright without using any optional maps? You get less of the gently caress-you enemy skillsets that lategame Lunatic Conquest throws at you, but after my last playthrough and midnight lasagna's excellent Royalty-Free Birthright Lunatic LP, it really does seem that the base route just has less experience available overall. Maybe my impression is off, I dunno - I've never even thought of attempting this kind of challenge.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

theshim posted:

Man, this LP is so...calculated. I suppose it has to be if you're attempting the mammoth task of training everyone, but...every move, every level, accounted for.

I love it. :getin:

Same, that's the best part of watching this (and his older Fates videos, which I've been poring through) imo, it really changes how I look at the game. I've always been a think on my feet, beat my head against the wall over and over until I figure it out kinda FE player. This kind of long term strategic planning around stats is really cool to watch.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

theshim posted:

I wonder if this would be doable on Birthright without using any optional maps? You get less of the gently caress-you enemy skillsets that lategame Lunatic Conquest throws at you, but after my last playthrough and midnight lasagna's excellent Royalty-Free Birthright Lunatic LP, it really does seem that the base route just has less experience available overall. Maybe my impression is off, I dunno - I've never even thought of attempting this kind of challenge.

It kinda depends how much you’re willing to abuse the infinite experience in Birthright chapter 20. But for me, the thing that makes this less fun for Birthright (overall game design preferences aside) is that Birthright gives you a ton of characters immediately, so you have a roster full of underleveled units who can’t all get adequate EXP for a long time.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
I'll be honest, I was really hoping for a Kaze bosskill considering how great his stregnth was here. No idea if that's even possible without extreme levels of cheese though! I also only just realised after watching this video that the boss here doesn't use Swordmaster animations, I think they've got the Merc/Hero animations instead despite that not being their class.

I wish you could have your servant in this map event if it doesn't really make story sense. Felicia and Jakob would have much more fun here than they do in Chapter 3.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm surprised you didn't have Azura take that last swing instead of Rinkah. If Sakura was standing next to her, she would've only injured rather than killed and Kaze still could've taken the kill.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Keldulas posted:

I'm surprised you didn't have Azura take that last swing instead of Rinkah. If Sakura was standing next to her, she would've only injured rather than killed and Kaze still could've taken the kill.

Azura gets a little bit more experience from singing on her player phases than from attacking (unless she kills). The extra weapon experience is nice, but not very important, since we already got more than enough.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think I appreciate the design of this map. Great way to teach that just because an unit has a giant pile of stats, it doesn't mean it is invincible and does not need proper support. It also forces a reset if it goes too badly because it's the Lord, so no getting screwed by classic mode early on.

Still, we're at the first major problem with Conquest's writing: why exactly would Corrin side with Nohr after this mission?

She just went in a berserker dragon rage because her mother was killed in front of her and anyone with enough brain cells to be able to speak would realize Garon was responsible*.

*as far as Rube Goldberg plans go, I've seen more convoluted.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I think my favorite part of the rube Goldberg plan is Hans repeatedly and actively trying to kill Corrin. Its just completely in opposition to the corrin guided bomb plan

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Or the magic sword bomb itself pulling Corrin down a cliff because they're too stupid to let go.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

I think my favorite part of the rube Goldberg plan is Hans repeatedly and actively trying to kill Corrin. Its just completely in opposition to the corrin guided bomb plan

I think the idea behind this is that Anankos is just trying to acquire the sword so he can kill Mikoto and accelerate the war, and the fastest way to get it is to have someone bring it to the Bottomless Cannon; it doesn’t have to be Corrin who carries it all the way to Hoshido. Also, I don’t think (evil) Anankos is aware that Corrin is his child? So as far as he knows, Corrin is just a captive Hoshidan princess being raised as a ward of Garon, and that makes her disposable.

I’m speculating here because the game doesn’t elaborate on the reasoning for Garon's plan or the origins of Ganglari. I don’t know whether the rewrite addresses those things more fully later on or not.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2P5IWWogTw

We remake our avatar and choose our path.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Video shows as private. Though given that I apparently found this 3 minutes after you put it up, maybe it's just a transitional thing.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm psyched for this Let's Play! I already loved your other Conquest videos, and it'll be interesting to see your take on the game (and this mod) in full.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

"Yeah I know Nohr is in the wrong but nonetheless"
:allears: we're off to a good start. I probably better get my enjoyment while I can before needing to scream at Xander and others in the cast again.
Did the original script have Ryoma call out the bomb sword?

Bonus:
Triple lol at the Revelations decision being "I cannot choose". Harem anime tier.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Hmm, I wonder who Corrin's going to marry? Given past videos I feel like I probably know the answer, but the talent you picked wasn't the one I was expecting...

I had no idea your servant couldn't work in buildings while they're being your assistant. I always thought it was a bit unfair that Jakob is one of the best cooks in the game while Felicia is one of the worst, but then again I also don't bother with the Mess Hall until it's fully upgraded and by then I'd have both of them anyway.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah I'm not sure who he's gonna have Corrin marry based on the Dark Mage class selection. My best guess is Elise but she's really frail and has kinda poo poo accuracy without a lot of support. Also I'm not really sure why you'd want someone other than Ophelia to do that job anyways?

Whatever it ends up being is gonna get used really interestingly regardless, probably.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh it's actually not exciting at all, just a weird quirk of how class inheritance works.

If Corrin or Kana marries someone who already has his talent, the spouse get the other game's equivalent of the class, which in this case is Diviner. So it's for Ophelia, while also giving Corrin access to Dark Knight later via heart seal instead of needing A support with Odin or Leo.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 10, 2022

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFmF1gyZgSQ

King Garon suspects our motives for coming back. As a test of loyalty, he commands us to suppress a rebellion from the Ice Tribe; to get there, we have to navigate the Woods of the Forlorn alone.

Going forward, I will post an image like the one below with each update. It presents all of the support points gained by each unit; our expenditures in terms of both Dragon Vein Points and gold; our earnings, including items, gold, and gold bars; and any class changes we have done (with the columns at the far right tracking how many of each class-changing seal we have left).

B Supports

C Supports

Zoran fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 17, 2022

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you had access to the free DLCs (gift from Anna 1/2), how would you use them? I believe the freebies are a Boots, Paragon scroll, and your choice of Ballistician or Witch promotion items.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I think I’d probably give Boots to Corrin, Paragon to Elise, and Witch to Felicia (who could get Warp almost immediately).

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

I really like this chapter, I think it's a great introduction to how Conquest works. Having all the enemies have the same stats but different skills is a good way to ease the player into paying attention to checking enemy skills, and the chokepoints are set up so it's very easy to perform dual strikes. Having you start alone in a swamp surrounded by enemies also sets the tone of Conquest pretty well, especially in contrast to Birthright...

Are you going to keep who's marrying who a surprise until it actually happens? I have some guesses but I might keep them to myself or put them behind spoiler tags.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Once we actually start having to make decisions on who to deploy, I’ll be trying to explain my reasoning, and the marriage plans will be a big part of that.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The support system is one of those things which seems kind of unnecessarily complex, even if I can see where they’re going with it. It at least remains more intuitive than the utter mess of the GBA supports though.

I suppose that since supports give actual mechanical effects, it makes sense to limit how much you can get at a time.

I forgot to mention it when it was relevant, but I actually do adore how they changed up the promotion leveling and such. Now, early promotion actually gives you the stat boost without utterly ruining the units ability to get experience. It also means earlier access to promoted skills, which is another calculable benefit.

The only hiccup is that I wish they actually told you what level the prepromotes promoted at. Though at least in Jakob and Felicia’s case, their experience curve is glaringly obvious even if you don’t know the specifics. In fact I sort of adore how those two function as units. It’s a great way to mix it up.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Appendix A: The Support System

Fire Emblem Fates tracks support progress on two different levels. Between battles, it records the amount of progress that two characters have made toward their next support rank as an integer between 0 and 5. Usually, the requirements for unlocking each support rank are as follows:

C: 3 points
B: 4 points
A: 4 points
S: 5 points

There is no overflow from one rank to the next. Even if you collect what should have been 5 support points before viewing the C support, you won't get any credit toward B support; you'll start again at 0. And you can only gain up to 3 points in a single battle, so normally it takes at least 7 maps to go from no support to S rank: one battle for C and then two each for the next three levels.

Some pairings, typically between family members or among royals and their retainers, are "fast supports." These have lower requirements for the first two support ranks:

C: 2 points
B: 3 points
A: 4 points
S: 5 points

It's possible to max out a fast support in just six maps because the B support only requires one battle, not two.

The Seed of Trust item and the various events in the castle that can generate support points work by adding directly to these support counts.

During battle, the game tracks support gains much more granularly, assigning different values to different actions:
  • 6 points when two units battle together in either stance (as long as the lead attempts an attack)
  • 2 points when a tag team partner attempts a dual strike (so it doesn't count if the lead unit kills the enemy before the dual striker can act)
  • 2 points when a pair-up partner negates an attack with a dual guard (either by expending the guard gauge or automatically blocking enemy dual strikes)
  • 4 points when a unit battles while adjacent to another, but not as tag team partners
  • 4 points for using a staff on an ally
  • 4 points for singing to an ally
          All of these values are multiples of 2. Internally, the game's values might be half of these, but these are the numbers I've learned and they're how I track things myself.

I generally use the term "support points" for both these in-battle values and the out-of-battle ones, but for the sake of this explanation, I'll refer to the in-battle values as tracker points.

In a single battle, a unit can progress one relationship by up to 3 support points, another by up to 2, and potentially a third by just 1. If a unit earns tracker points with more than 3 others, the top three are sorted into these tiers, while anyone who finishes 4th or lower in the count gets no credit.

For each tier, there is a minimum number of tracker points to qualify:
  • 3-Point Tier: 30 tracker points
  • 2-Point Tier: 18 tracker points
  • 1-Point Tier: 8 tracker points
Tracker points do not get counted at all between units who do not actually support each other. Replicas and guest units (like Einherjar) do not support anyone.

Note that just finishing first doesn't guarantee you'll end up in the 3-point tier: if unit A generates 22 tracker points with unit X, 20 with unit Y, and 10 with unit Z, then the A-X and A-Y relationships will both grow by two points, while the A-Z support count will increase by one.

Conversely, if unit A got 42 tracker points with X and 40 with Y, then Y would get stuck in the 2-point tier: even though Y had enough tracker points to get to the highest tier, they didn't finish in first place.

In the event of a tie, the order is decided by an internal list. That list can be seen in-game: it correspond to the ordering of the characters' support lists when they're completely empty.

Where this gets really complicated is when you consider how placements in the support "race" might differ depending on which perspective you're using. Unit Z might be #3 in Unit A's count of tracker points, but it's perfectly possible for A to be #4 in Z's list. In that case, there will be no progress on the A-Z support. Moreover, there are no "promotions" or substitutions in these cases: if unit W had finished 4th on A's list, and they had enough tracker points to reach the 1-point tier if it hadn't been for Z finishing 3rd (from A's perspective), W doesn't get to take Z's place; there's no progress on the A-W support either.

This table shows the actual count of tracker points between all six units we used in chapter 7:

The table below identifies who finished first, second, and third for the character in each column, and it highlights those units according to the number of support points that should ultimately be earned: blue for 3 points, green for 2, and yellow for 1. In this case, there is a disagreement between the columns: Elise sees Effie as her #1 with 40 points, but Effie actually got even more tracker points with Arthur, so Effie and Elise only received two support points together, not three. Luckily, since Effie and Elise have a fast support, that's enough to unlock C rank anyway.

Felicia only earned two support points with Corrin, but she and Corrin had already gotten one point of progress toward B support from the Private Quarters, and they also have fast support progression with each other. Therefore, the two points here were enough for them to unlock B rank.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 17, 2022

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Idiot question from a fool: with the resource boost mod, how do I install it to Citra? Do I download all four files and slap them into the exefs file?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Bogart posted:

Idiot question from a fool: with the resource boost mod, how do I install it to Citra? Do I download all four files and slap them into the exefs file?

On that github page, go to the folder matching your version of the game: 179800 = USA Special Edition; 179600 = USA Conquest; 12DE00 = JP Special Edition (I think). Download the code.ips file there.

In Citra, right-click on Fire Emblem Fates and select "Open Mods Location." Create a folder named "exefs" here if there isn't one already. Place the downloaded code.ips file in that exefs folder.

If you have multiple code.ips patches and you want to use them simultaneously, you'll want to merge them. I think this site can do the job: https://zaksabeast.github.io/ipspatcher.js/build/

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ah, I didn't think to try and match the version file. That was what I was missing. Thanks!

e: while I'm derailing, god, there are like 4 separate Gay Fates patches and it is Not Immediately Clear which one is the most compatible and/or newest. On one hand, definitely speaks to the idea that Tharja 2, Japanese and Niles, Sex Pest were not good enough. On the other, drat folks. Join up and share the task.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 18, 2022

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5mo8SUBaE4

Through a stroke of good luck and the generosity of a stranger, we find our way into the Ice Tribe's village. A certain character's tactlessness causes trouble.

Odin and Elise are off to a really good start!

C Supports

Zoran fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It amuses me that there's two separate Conquest LPs, and they both take the Troubadour with 5% strength growth and turn her into a Wyvern Rider.

And that it's not actually a joke option.