Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The most frustrating part of this map when you haven't nuked it to all hell like we just watched is that the dried ground is sunk beneath the regular terrain. I think it's gotten me at least once a run where I've missed a dude partially concealed by a wall and then they jump out onto the dock and shank one of my guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1H8tW1SOA

In this bonus video, I talk about how I develop strategies for this challenge, using the example of Chapter 19—the chapter I'm currently planning.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Shout out to Benny. One of the few times a true All Defense No Speed knight works in these games.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I only learned how you can cheese that map with Wyvern Xander relatively recently, so I'm excited to see how you're actually supposed to handle the Kitsune chapter. Outside of juggernauting, I've only ever bumblefucked my way through that map on my Lunatic playthroughs.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I don't play Lunatic, but you can have base level Benny eat a bunch of tonics and carry Corrin through the entire map. It's going to take you a few hours though.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf07cw3MnQE

We land on Notre Sagesse and climb a mountain to reach the lair of the fabled Rainbow Sage. Other heroes have already sought his power. Will he bless us too?

C Supports

B Supports

A Supports

S Supports

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
Setsuna (and also Rinkah) get to have the special enemy only 1-2 range weapons because they don't move on easier difficulties. I never even noticed that Setsuna had a bow and not a yumi though, weird.

I see they changed Azama's generic boss quote ever so slightly so he doesn't call you out for resorting to violence when that's what Hoshido is also doing... But I feel like it's perfectly in character for Azama to be a hypocrite. He's probably just winding you up knowing pefectly well that they started it by kidnapping the Rainbow Sage.

I'm looking forward to Chapter 12! It might be my favourite map in all of Conquest but I always end up finishing it by the skin of my teeth, so seeing it (presumably) get fully routed will be fun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Can confirm, my first try at this mission I got sucker punched by Azama's room. One of the more subtle dirty tricks Conquest pulls, in my opinion. It's not obvious what's going on unless you look at every unit in that room and piece together what the plan is.

Also Beruka's voice being so soft and high-pitched will never not weird me out.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Just wanted to say I've been really enjoying these videos. I even subscribed to your channel and watched several others, and I don't typically watch YouTube.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gKFKlco8Os

On our journey back to the capital, Elise comes down with a mysterious illness. We seek medicine for her at Palace Macarath in the heartlands of Nohr—where, astonishingly, Prince Ryoma has already arrived. How has his army penetrated so deep into our country already? There must be treason afoot...

C Supports

B Supports

A Supports

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Good lord, an honest-to-God Big Rock Candy Mountain reference. I love it.

Also fun fact: not to detract from the extreme amounts of care and planning that went into this map, but did you notice that you did not miss a single time all map long? Despite facing a fair amount of hitrates in the 80s and even 70s.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

theshim posted:

Also fun fact: not to detract from the extreme amounts of care and planning that went into this map, but did you notice that you did not miss a single time all map long? Despite facing a fair amount of hitrates in the 80s and even 70s.

I certainly noticed! This recording took a lot more attempts than usual. I did know a few backups for several situations where I might have missed, and I was prepared to use the ones I mentioned if necessary, but I took a lot of resets for others. Some of those were just crucial to the clear, but in most cases, the main reason to reset was that I really don’t like presenting situations where I’m just waiting around for something to work.

For example, suppose Mozu had missed any of the three Ninjas on turn 3. That wouldn’t be the end of the world. However, the support requirements are so stringent that I can’t just improvise, and I also know that Mozu probably needs to gain a certain amount of levels to have good chances of reaching her benchmarks for later chapters. So the likely result of a miss there would be me just waiting until everything goes right, with 90% of the team standing there doing nothing. I think that’s boring to watch, and more importantly to me, it sucks to write commentary for. I really make these videos for myself, not for anyone else.

Also, I’ve sort of decided that I’m going to design and execute my strategies on the expectation that I will try my best to make all my attacks hit. There are a lot of cases where I could benefit from missing, including some really degenerate ones where I could grind support points by missing on purpose. I don’t want to tempt myself with any of that, so generally if something doesn’t work in the first several turns of a map, I’m resetting no matter what. If I’m trying to do something that’s super unreliable, well, now I have a very strong incentive to make a better strategy.

It’s annoying to redo the recording, but the truth is that the big time-sinks for this run are the planning and the writing, not the production.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 22, 2022

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i did notice that your strategies overwhelming rely on hitrates of at least 80%, typically higher, and that the most RNG-heavy stuff usually only happens on the first turn. it strikes me as a somewhat skewed but fairly realistic way that the game can and typically is played, even if the part where we only see the successful end result might be slightly misleading

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Yeah, that is one thing I've noticed too, all those 80+%s that have to land that do end up landing. Pondering how many late resets happened because of things like that. Or unexpected crits.

Also randomly, I kind of want to see this challenge done on Birthright too. Not for Birthright itself because its design is so much worse than Conquest, but strictly to see how you'd beat Chapter 12 Garon under the conditions of no grinding

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

SirSystemError posted:

Yeah, that is one thing I've noticed too, all those 80+%s that have to land that do end up landing. Pondering how many late resets happened because of things like that. Or unexpected crits.

Also randomly, I kind of want to see this challenge done on Birthright too. Not for Birthright itself because its design is so much worse than Conquest, but strictly to see how you'd beat Chapter 12 Garon under the conditions of no grinding

I've been able to rout that map on Lunatic (including Xander) by loading Saizo up with tonics and defensive auras and sticking him on a 1 tile chokepoint, but it took a huge amount of turns and resulted in almost all the EXP going towards one unit (who got like 1 EXP per kill towards the end) so I don't imagine it would be a very good solution for this sort of challenge.

This is my favourite map of Conquest but I've never actually used the dragon vein on Lunatic because the prospect of dealing with all those enemies at once is too scary. I always just snake around the outside and barely manage to kill the boss or escape with a turn or 2 to spare. Maybe I should try this strat the next time I play...

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yeah, I've never had the nerve to just go straight up the middle but I also usually play without Royals to make it that much harder. If you're not training everyone then I imagine Bow Knight Selena would probably be better here for the possibility of doubling.

The0ldFish
Jul 28, 2022
Hi, I was super interested in this challenge and you actually inspired me to play fates for the first time! I had only played 3 houses, and then Echoes... so this one came at me swinging.... I also was trying to follow along with what you were doing, but even just trying to mimic your motions in the maps proved difficult... I lowered myself down to hard after the branch of fate (I at least made it that far on lunatic... haha) and I just cleared the rainbow sage map. I have an entirely new appreciation for the amount of planning and the beauty of your strategies now.. it's absolutely insane what you're able to pull off, seemingly with ease. Thanks for inspiring me to try this game out!

All hail wyvern rider Elise!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Wyvern Elise is so fun, and I'm glad the squares lost out in the end on that one.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

The0ldFish posted:

Thanks for inspiring me to try this game out!

You’re very welcome, and I’m glad to hear you're having a good time!

I would definitely not recommend trying to follow this playthrough turn-by-turn. The challenge is very difficult, and it forces me to play in a way that's entirely different from what I would actually want to do if I were just trying to beat the game.

The0ldFish
Jul 28, 2022
I'm new to this site, I actually bought an account specifically to read more about this challenge, so idk how to really do the whole specific responses thing..

I found you first with your golden deer playthrough since I was *just* looking into maddening mode and the way you introduced your style really spoke to me, since I really love developing all of my units... but boy howdy does this game have a LOT of them! I've started to use your vids as a general strategy guide to see what is the most important stuff to aim for, as well as general ideas for characters and stuff!

I was a little apprehensive to get into the Fates set of games since everyone I've talked to has told me to avoid them since they have bad plot and are 'weird'. You swooped in yet again with the GGG mod! I had no idea modding 3ds games was even a thing, so I went and grabbed a lot of the stuff off of your list. It's made the experience quite a bit better, and I like the changes so far from what I've seen in the script. I'm about to delve into the chapter with all of those pots, and I'm really intimidated by it tbh.. then after it I would be sailing into uncharted waters which is spooky as well!

On a side note, I have some dlc items like dread fighter scrolls and stuff, and a witch seal.. Does anyone have any recommendations for who those would be nice on? :)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The DLC classes are essentially promoted classes that you can slot into any time. So any girl can become a Witch, but only Elise or Nyx would really get the most out of it. Dread Fighter is perfect if you don't want to try to train Mozu, but any physical character will work well with it. But you're really breaking the game with them unless you use them in place of Master Seals.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Nyx, Elise, Felicia do best as Witches. As for Dread Fighters, I usually just throw it on a kid that’s inherited as many +damage abilities as possible as the premiere player phase killer.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I forgot about Felicia. And Ophelia as well.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I mean, you might want to class Felicia into Strategist first to get Inspiration on her with the aim of making her a really good mobile aura granter. Remember that Witch loses staves though, and self-Warp is deep on her skill list, so it is a trade off!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

You also have to remember that Felicia and Jakob are treated as being promoted at level 20. Using a DLC class scroll on them adds 20 levels to them and the stat gains do not make up for it. Also I think their experience gains are adjusted accordingly.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Walla posted:

You also have to remember that Felicia and Jakob are treated as being promoted at level 20. Using a DLC class scroll on them adds 20 levels to them and the stat gains do not make up for it. Also I think their experience gains are adjusted accordingly.

They are treated as being not promoted at all, and when you give them a DLC scroll, even though their displayed level goes up by 20, they still gain experience at the same rate as before.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Does that mean that Dread Fighter Jakob would potentially hit level 60 or something due to their weird mechanics?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

One of the coolest things this LP is showing me is not only how inefficient I've been at spreading support points, but also how useful and fun Friendship Seals can be. Usually, whenever I've played CQ, I've just let the Friendship Seals pile up while I focus on marrying units off and making kids, but I've recently done stuff like Wyvern!Seline in my most recent run, and it's tons of fun.

I think it's definitely a waste of resources, but I went Outlaw!Nyx into friendshipping her with Mozu for the Archer route, and using Nyx as a Shining Bow Kinshi Knight with Movement+1 is one of the most fun units I've had in this game. I never would've tried that out before this LP.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The0ldFish posted:

I'm new to this site, I actually bought an account specifically to read more about this challenge, so idk how to really do the whole specific responses

Hit quote in the poster u wanna quotes posting box

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Keldulas posted:

Does that mean that Dread Fighter Jakob would potentially hit level 60 or something due to their weird mechanics?

No, their level cap is still 40. The only real use is picking up some late game skills really early, like if you want Warp and Inspiration on Felicia or something.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Walla posted:

No, their level cap is still 40. The only real use is picking up some late game skills really early, like if you want Warp and Inspiration on Felicia or something.

Felicia/Jacob can actually hit 60 in that case. Their normal level cap is boosted by 20.

Gunter seems to get 10 so you could get him to be a level 50 dread fighter if you were a cool cat.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Wait? Why would Gunter need a boosted cap? Who is leveling him?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'm guessing it's the same system that gives them all reduced exp penalties, so its less for the cap and more to make him get a bit more exp.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Walla posted:

Wait? Why would Gunter need a boosted cap? Who is leveling him?

Gunther is fantastic. As a supporter for Corrin.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

When heroes came out I made an entire team of +10 Jagens because it was funny.

Also Gunter is the best Jagen because he randomly turns into an endgame boss on one route and that was hilarious.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Personally I prefer to think of Gunter as the Arena guy. Because of how enemy stats are calculated based off level and him having a lower internal level than normal, a base Conquest Gunter can almost always destroy anything the Arena throws at him.

The0ldFish
Jul 28, 2022
I followed what Zoran did with a magic Corrin, with the mage talent. I really love mages in FE games (Lysithea and Delthia my beloved) and I paired Odin and Elise together.. I was thinking of marrying Ophelia to create a super magic pair, but I am not sure if that is 'good'. I imagine it would make corrins kid pretty dang magical though, but I feel like I kinda shot myself in the foot since both corn and ophelia will give mage to kana, right? It's not a major thing to me, I don't really know what I want anyone to be just yet. I still have corrin as his starting class since I'm not sure to promote him to the higher tier of that, or make him a dark knight .-. This game is pretty crazy system wise, coming from 3 houses and echoes as my only other games played.. so much stuff passed down and all that, it's really cool though!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

If two of the same class would get passed down, it shifts to the parents second option, so I believe that ophelia/kana would pick up samurai. The game is pretty good about not letting you screw yourself over like that

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

FoolyCharged is right: that Kana will get Samurai as a third class, in addition to Nohr Princess and Dark Mage.

One little quirk is that the class inheritance for children always goes [child's default class], then [father's class], and then [mother's class], and that means that even if both Corrins have the Mage talent, Odin!Kana and Ophelia!Kana are different. Odin!Kana gets Nohr Prince and Dark Mage, and then because he already has both of his mom's classes, he gets the opposite-country version of Corrin's talent class, which is Diviner. In the case of Ophelia!Kana, she also gets Dark Mage from her dad and she also cannot get her mom's primary Dark Mage class, but this time the mom is Ophelia and not Corrin. As a result, she inherits Ophelia's secondary class, Samurai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

And that's why Jakob and Azura makes Wyvern Shigure and Pegasus Dwyer. You can also get Diviner on Nina with Nyx as her mom but she sucks as a mage. Also Beruka and Arthur give Pegasus to Percy.

I'm not aware of any other weird pairings. And I don't think there are any such pairings in Birthright?