Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The0ldFish
Jul 28, 2022
Thanks so much guys :) I appreciate all the help and explanations!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?
I love this idea. There are a lot of characters in Conquest I enjoy (in spite of or perhaps because of how dumb a lot of them are) and it's great to see them all getting some screentime.

The0ldFish
Jul 28, 2022
That's exactly what I was thinking Luni! It's really awesome that everyone is going to get some time in the spotlight in this run :) I know if my own runs of the couple FE games I've played... even if I initially wanna start off with training everyone, I inevitably end up with a couple powerhouses that just start to sweep things up .-.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UjI3EnLEBw

Garon commands us to put down rebels in Nohr's southernmost territory, Cheve.

C Supports

B Supports

A Supports

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I like how the justification for attacking corrin completely ignored Hans murking gunter.

And poor Charlotte. Such a fun unit to use, but those stats as a backpack...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
We stan Benny. For all of its faults, Fate's representation of a slow unbreakable knight in Benny is one of the best in Fire Emblem. He does exactly what you want.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Benny's a good character for all that he struggles as a unit.

Charlotte is the most mechanically overrated character in Fates, in my experience, and a godawful embarrassment as a character. Dorothea in Three Houses pulled off a similar idea but was far less cringeworthy.

The0ldFish
Jul 28, 2022
I thought Benny was going to be this mean, rude, awful criminal guy when I was quickly browsing through the conquest characters before playing... I am so so glad I was wrong!

I'm on chapter 24 and while he isn't really that great, I love Benny so much. He reminds me a lot of what they did with Dedue, being this imposing but very kind and gentle person. He's become one of my all time favorites for how gentle he is and his supports are really funny.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

I like how the justification for attacking corrin completely ignored Hans murking gunter.

And poor Charlotte. Such a fun unit to use, but those stats as a backpack...

The way Gunter just disappears from the plot is kind of egregious. Corrin mentions it to NO ONE.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Keldulas posted:

The way Gunter just disappears from the plot is kind of egregious. Corrin mentions it to NO ONE.

If a mod that's advertising itself to directly address these issues didn't mention it, then it's safe to say either there's no explanation they could come up with for it, or the modder forgot themselves.

It's kinda illustrating the issue with this mod: the best rationalizations that fan forums come up with can't escape how the subject is a fundamentally broken abomination. It'd be more productive to just throw the whole thing out.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm gonna paste a youtube comment from this update really quick:

quote:

I love that the little Reina “puzzle” rewards you for doing math and making seemingly counter-intuitive strategies. I would have never once thought to put my best flier and effective Jagen in her range until the math was done

because yeah that was crazy to me. It goes every instinct in my FE brain to plan around my flier facetanking a pre-promote archer, but seeing it makes a lot of sense.

I'm excited to see where this goes from here. The level 2 stores start my favorite part of the game, because you can start going hog wild with reclassing and intricate builds, and it's super rewarding.

Especially with some of these A+ ranks I never explore. Peri/Felicia? That seems terrible for both parties but hey, maybe Great Knight Felicia gives an S-rank partner some perfect bonuses or something.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BprJ6qZdOx8

At our reunion with King Garon in the neutral territory of Nestra, we aim to confront him about the atrocities perpetrated in his name at Cheve.

C Supports

B Supports

A Supports

Zoran fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 8, 2022

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
I agree that Leo doesn't really feel like a little brother, and it's probably for the same reason you said.... Although I kind of get the same with Takumi. Maybe Corrin's naivety and lack of knowledge about everything makes them feel like a younger sibling? That and them starting at level 1.

It there's so many FE screenshot LPs I want to keep up with but I don't really have the energy right now to read anything substantial :(. These videos are getting super long but they're also very relaxing, having everything explained to me out loud makes me not need to use my brain even if it's very complicated.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I am delighted to report that Chapter 15, at least, will have less than 30 minutes of actual gameplay.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Selena/Peri support links to Camilla/Silas by the way.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Keldulas posted:

Selena/Peri support links to Camilla/Silas by the way.

Fixed! Thanks.

The0ldFish
Jul 28, 2022
I love these videos and it's always amazing to me to hear you explain all these complex maneuvers and strats to maximize gains while balancing so many insane support objectives!

Also, your Elise is build like a tank and I am so jealous .-. She's my favorite character and I love how much defense she's getting in your run lol

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's kind of fascinating seeing you measure just how much you can kneecap your team to sandbag and add extra combats in while still allowing yourself enough power to actually finish the maps.

The0ldFish
Jul 28, 2022
Also these levin sword shenanigans remind me so much of FE 3 Houses sandbagging to build weapon and class exp lol

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Been listening to this in the background during my workday (along with the FE3H Golden Deer Maddening playthrough you did), it's super great hearing your thought processes and the number crunching and all those real nitty-gritty deep things. In comparison, I started a replay of Awakening with the gay patch on Hard/Classic and keep getting my teeth kicked in...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Keaton's one of the better characters from Fates in my opinion, and it helps that his child tends to be a powerhouse no matter who you pair him with.

I paired him with Azura in my first [and so far only] run of Conquest, and the results were not only hilarious for their supports, the results kinda broke the game in half.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

midnight lasagna posted:

It there's so many FE screenshot LPs I want to keep up with but I don't really have the energy right now to read anything substantial :(. These videos are getting super long but they're also very relaxing, having everything explained to me out loud makes me not need to use my brain even if it's very complicated.
Personally, I find the opposite holds true for me at least. I can read no problem but rarely sit through long videos...but I can with this since it's so engaging.

Kumagera is a fun guy to use, with solid enough stats, Countermagic+Counter shenanigans, and decent growths that Rinkah could've stood to learn a thing or two from. Shame that due to the challenge restrictions, there won't be time to make use of him..

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVhq35vWLRc

Looking for answers, we follow Azura out of town... and pursue her to a forbidden realm.

C Supports

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
hey, they even rewrote the contrived orb of plot convenience to be merely plot convenient instead of utterly contrived! very nice.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Another great episode. Really enjoyed hearing your thoughts on how heart seal allocation is decided.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's amusing to me that this run is min-maxed so hard that you had Jakob in the prologue for the maximum support building with Gunter.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Huh, I'm surprised the Curse of Valla was kept in the script, considering how much flak people tend to give that. That aside, I am liking the rewrites in this chapter.

Pretty straightforward chapter gameplay wise, with a lot of talk about future plans. Interested in seeing how that strange Heart Seal use you mentioned is justified. Already saw it coming from the class analysis video you did with LagSpike, and well, if it's next chapter there's only one person it can really be.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The Curse of Valla by itself is not great as a plot contrivance, but the real issue it presents in the original story is that Corrin and Azura pick up the idiot ball and run with it from this point onward, with the curse being used as a paper thin justification for why. Changing the plan from 'reveal Garon is evil by doing what he wants (evil)' to 'try and cure Garon's evil by doing what he wants (evil)' does a lot to resolve that.

The secondary problem that arises is that Azura knows too much to not say anything, and there's only so much that you can write up to 'she isn't emotionally able or willing to explain' when the fate of the world is at stake. This rewrite actually does a great job by having Azura readily explain the important big-picture stuff as soon as she can, accidentally reveal too much, then immediately avoid explaining the things that affect her personally.

The remaining problem is explaining why Corrin doesn't bring their siblings in on the plan, and this rewrite does the smart move of not trying to justify it except on an emotional level. In the same way that you can 'solve' the plot of Three Houses by simply making the main characters less traumatised and therefore willing to trust in each other, this version of Conquest is contingent on Corrin being emotionally invested in saving their father and willing to pay a very high price for it - because if they weren't, you'd be playing a different route, wouldn't you?

(this is also probably why Gunter somewhat abruptly explains Camilla's backstory at this point. it's important context for said emotional decision-making to know that Camilla has severe trauma related to family betrayal and that the Nohrian siblings are all dedicated to protecting each other and Corrin.)

e: all this on top of trying to keep the script relatively similar to the original for the purposes of not becoming totally disconnected from the gameplay, naturally. we'll see some of this in the next chapter because the modder didn't touch basically any of the non-main-plot stuff, so a certain absurd element of Fates' storytelling is going to rear its ugly head.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 25, 2022

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Just compare their stats to Camilla's bases. That one made me laugh. Never mind that she's still leveling faster...

This one was honestly one of my favourite Conquest maps for just how weird it is. It was a really nice change of pace for the campaign overall, and the feel of playing it being so different was appreciated to me.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

This is a side project, but you guys might be interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHUotwWDPEU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hey, that looks pretty cool.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
The relay seems really cool, will you be posting the next part here, or should I start subbing to everyone else involved to get my fix?

Also, picked up Fates in part due to this thread and cleared Conquest the same night as the last proper update. This series really goaded me to keep going, even when Normal Mode was smashing my face in, and I learned how to better play the game thanks to some of the tech you show off in these videos.

Also, gotta say, really like the rewrite in the last video. Would've been more elegant if they could squeeze the stuff about the concubine war elsewhere, but a necessary evil to handle one of the dumber parts of the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

So are you watching the other player's videos or are you going into your leg blind in order to maximize your confusion at everyone else's decisions?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Sinner Sandwich posted:

The relay seems really cool, will you be posting the next part here, or should I start subbing to everyone else involved to get my fix?

You'll have to subscribe to them! :)

FoolyCharged posted:

So are you watching the other player's videos or are you going into your leg blind in order to maximize your confusion at everyone else's decisions?

I intend to stay blind as best I can. I didn't see what anyone else did before I recorded my next leg.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_xUMjZeH7Y

Arthur goes to visit his son but ends up on another misadventure. He's been mistaken for some bandit called... Gazak?

C Supports

B Supports

A Supports

S Supports

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

ungulateman posted:

e: all this on top of trying to keep the script relatively similar to the original for the purposes of not becoming totally disconnected from the gameplay, naturally. we'll see some of this in the next chapter because the modder didn't touch basically any of the non-main-plot stuff, so a certain absurd element of Fates' storytelling is going to rear its ugly head.

requoting myself because boy oh boy! the deeprealms are dumb

the 'solution' (if you want to call it that) is to hew closer to what Awakening did, and have the children characters be from alternate universes slightly more advanced in time, trying to save at least one 'version' of their parents. an issue, however, is that awakening's time travel conceit is loose enough that it's not immediately clear that the future children can't save their 'real' parents, while here it would be obvious on its face and cause at least some narrative discontent. it would still be better than *gestures at fates* this, though.

percy is kind of insane relative to the rest of the child characters. he just gets handed wyvern rider on top of his father's fighter and his mother's class, his father joins as early as possible (outside of jakob for female corrin), and his paralogue is worth doing in its own right, three huge advantages over a bunch of the other children. he probably isn't the best kid in the game, since he's almost always 'just' a really good unit that can go do really good unit things, but he's absolutely up there.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Excited to watch this, this map consistently destroys me; flight and lunge chains are too much for my pea brain.

ungulateman posted:

percy is kind of insane relative to the rest of the child characters. he just gets handed wyvern rider on top of his father's fighter and his mother's class, his father joins as early as possible (outside of jakob for female corrin), and his paralogue is worth doing in its own right, three huge advantages over a bunch of the other children. he probably isn't the best kid in the game, since he's almost always 'just' a really good unit that can go do really good unit things, but he's absolutely up there.

Hey, don't forget he also can be an amazing Rally bot with Azura or Beruka marriage! The kid can work with almost any team, it's nuts.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm happy with myself if I get 5 or 6k on this map. Seeing a five-digit number is actually filthy.

I think one thing this relatively recent rash of Fates LPs has taught me is just how darn effective Friendship Sealing is. Not only for how nice it is on Corrin's side, but like you state in the video, how fluid it makes skill inheritance for children. I've gotten Move+1 on Percy through Nyx parentage before, but doing so through Arthur's side is way more efficient, and the same goes for Mozu being a vehicle for Quick Draw across the entire army.

Good stuff all around!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I think the funniest thing about this lp is watching kills get thrown to max that exp gain from enemies. For example:

We finally picked up the bolt axe! Elise has become death, destroyer of worlds*

*worlds limited to a single pack of enemies at mission start, then back to throwing axes to deal trivial chip damage to 16 billion enemies rather than kill 3 or 4 of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

ungulateman posted:

Jakob also only joins earlier on a technicality, given that it's the difference of joining earlier on the same Conquest map. Same point as far as support point building is concerned. Yes, you can have him in the prologue, but that only lets him marry F!Corrin faster, no one else.