Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also sometimes especially in older games but also newer ones there's a whole bunch of Kirbys around and sometimes there's just the one.

Also kinda funny that everyone thought Elfillin was gonna be the new Marx/Magalor and turn into some terrifying abomination and they were half-right, but he's actually the new Gooey but with an actual arc this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As I’ve mentioned before, Meta Knight is also a member of Kirby’s species (though it’s unknown if he has the same suction/copy ability since he seems to prefer the way of the sword)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Unlucky7 posted:

So I love Kirby but does anyone else find the constant ”Hey errybudy did you know that Kirby is actually hosed UP?!” takes to be kind of tiresome?

EDIT: Mostly in the sense that stuff that is mostly series tradition is being branded like some sort of forbidden knowledge, if that makes sense.

I really appreciate those takes when they go the extra step of pointing out that Kirby is clearly some kind of ancient cosmic horror, I mean look at him, but he's also a friend who likes naps and kisses and overthrowing tyrants both eldritch and mundane.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
beat forgotten world’s endboss

at last, Kirby has become all four types of friend

https://youtu.be/mnhZaOVxKLE

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I think Meta Knight and Kirby are merely similar-shaped because Meta Knight has thumbs and wings and Kirby does not. Kirby is just his own thing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m always confused as to whether he actually has wings or if it’s just a magic cape…

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I’m always confused as to whether he actually has wings or if it’s just a magic cape…

I think it’s a cape that turns into a pair of wings when he flies but I’m not 100% sure on that

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Mega knight is the moody big sibling to Kirby, who is a very strong and confident baby

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I like to think Meta Knight only wears his mask because it looks cool (and/or he’s actually kind of shy since he immediately warps away whenever it comes off), alternatively he’s just embarrassed about his resemblance to Kirby and wears it to maintain his image

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 23, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t think it’ll ever happen but it would be sick to have a Meta Knight fight where the helmet falls off halfway through and he just uses it as a shield/discus for round 2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I don’t think it’ll ever happen but it would be sick to have a Meta Knight fight where the helmet falls off halfway through and he just uses it as a shield/discus for round 2.

That would be a fun little twist actually. You fight him normally, the mask comes off, and instead of teleporting away Meta Knight just gets back up and his health refills for a second round (maybe he’s a bit more aggressive and/or has some new attacks without the mask as well)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Larryb posted:

That would be a fun little twist actually. You fight him normally, the mask comes off, and instead of teleporting away Meta Knight just gets back up and his health refills for a second round (maybe he’s a bit more aggressive and/or has some new attacks without the mask as well)

This kind of happens in Kirby Fighters 2, where King Dedede throws him a new mask and they fight together as Waning Meta Knight and Waxing Dedede

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Kirby is shaped like a friend, a friend who occasionally has to fight a greedy penguin, world ender's and Sephiroth

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Larryb posted:

I like to think Meta Knight only wears his mask because it looks cool (and/or he’s actually kind of shy since he immediately warps away whenever it comes off), alternatively he’s just embarrassed about his resemblance to Kirby and wears it to maintain his image

Pretty sure it's because he desperately wants to look cool and no one takes him seriously when he's an adorable puffball

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Meta Knight is vain and tryhard as hell. That's basically the entire reason he wears the mask and hauls rear end when he loses it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yay! I got Kirby for my birthday and this lovely card to boot. My fiance's been laughing all week since I told her what it is Kirby says.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Unlucky7 posted:

So I love Kirby but does anyone else find the constant ”Hey errybudy did you know that Kirby is actually hosed UP?!” takes to be kind of tiresome?

EDIT: Mostly in the sense that stuff that is mostly series tradition is being branded like some sort of forbidden knowledge, if that makes sense.

the series is primarily marketed towards kids and kids get super excited about that kind of stuff
also it seems like a lot of people are playing Forgotten Land as their first real Kirby game and don’t know what to expect from Kirby final bosses

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sure am glad that forgotten land gives you so many free powerups because i was an embarrassment during the final arena fight

in particular i tanked every single one of its rushing fireball attacks because i didn't get that you had to hop on the rock pillars to dodge

waddler
Jan 3, 2008

Last day for the Tetris 99 theme featuring Kirby + Forgotten Land.

Using the OP with vocals as the starting theme is ... a choice.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I really appreciate those takes when they go the extra step of pointing out that Kirby is clearly some kind of ancient cosmic horror, I mean look at him, but he's also a friend who likes naps and kisses and overthrowing tyrants both eldritch and mundane.

The thing about Kirby is he never fully understands what's going on, but always tries to do right by his friends. His instincts are pure and good. (Also nobody he fights or even inhales seems to really *die*- barring a few final bosses, they always pop up later, so it's more like he beats them soundly and leaves them to think about how they got in this position.)

Finished the main story, yeah, this is a strong contender for Game of the Year. I was worried in the big fight because I was very short on coins (I'm not sure what happens if you get KO'd with 0 or less than 100), but managed to pull through. Really solid "ending" though there's clearly more to do.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
After going very hard on this for a couple of weeks and finally hitting the end of the main story, I was really surprised to see I only had 50-ish percent completion. I dove into the postgame stuff where (a boss) Clawroline opens a portal to the invertophantomzone or whatever and suddenly I'm back playing Elden Ring and having brutal battles what the gently caress

this puffy pink ball was supposed to be my chillax game but i'm sitting here weighing the pros and cons of being a big fire-breathing ball or a huge hammer-wielding puff with serious consideration

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You can go back to chill fun times, just hit up your local Waddle Dee shop for steroids!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s a Kirby tradition dating all the way back to the Game Boy original to have a postgame where Kirby learns Violence

Forgotten is probably one of the gentlest because of all the power ups it lets you take in

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

it’s a Kirby tradition dating all the way back to the Game Boy original to have a postgame where Kirby learns Violence

Forgotten is probably one of the gentlest because of all the power ups it lets you take in

Yeah, Extra Mode in the original Kirby’s Dream Land is still kind of brutal even today. As you said the postgame is where most Kirby titles start showing their fangs

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If you go in without powerups I think Forgotten Lands true arena is harder than most because I don't think there's a copy ability that easily allows you to outrange most bosses and attack from a safe distance like Plasma or Archer or Psi (Ranger comes close but I didn't find the sniping super useful for endgame bosses).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
space ranger rips everything apart if you make use of its perfect dodge follow-up. that plus it’s charged shot burns down everything almost as fast as masked hammer and with far more safety

only the very last arena bosses pose an issue because they have so much health and the last one especially hits extremely hard, you’re liable to die a couple times figuring out its patterns without power ups

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Morpho Sword is a decent option as well due to its high damage, increased dodge range, and slight healing abilities

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah Space Ranger is super strong but it's not because of out ranging things with the big snipe. It gets its damage from being in the thick of things and dodging about!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dragon Fire is kinda ridiculous for bosses since you can just set them on fire and spend the rest of the time dodging, and the air flying move is good for getting out of the way fast.

Fully upgraded Ice even has a dedicated slow and freeze mechanic for bosses and minibosses, though I find it a bit tricky since it throws off your muscle memory bad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, can any attack in the game break through Ice’s guard?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dragon Fire is kinda ridiculous for bosses since you can just set them on fire and spend the rest of the time dodging, and the air flying move is good for getting out of the way fast.

Fully upgraded Ice even has a dedicated slow and freeze mechanic for bosses and minibosses, though I find it a bit tricky since it throws off your muscle memory bad.

That's actually all Ice abilities. Though Blizzard Ice does it the fastest.

That being said I'm not sure how it really works. For all I know it's based on damage dealt and that could change if the abilities are powered up, and Ice actually has the best frostbite damage at full power. But that won't make a difference if it's still the slowest at inducing it.

Also certain battles are outright immune to it until a certain point? Like you can't freeze Fleurina in her first phase, you have to wait till the 2nd phase to be able to do that, which matters for that one objective in world 2 where you have to do that.

Incidentally you can actually perfect dodge with Ice, though the mechanics are different for it. While using the shield, let go of the shield and move right before an attack hits. That triggers the slowdown. Note that this won't work with Gigant Sword, that's the only ability in the game that cannot dodge.

Larryb posted:

I forget, can any attack in the game break through Ice’s guard?

Terrain damage (lava, fire tornados but not regular tornados, etc.) will break through perfect guards.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 26, 2022

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://twitter.com/Suyasuyabi427/status/1518968155364012033

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Wow, that mist have taken forever

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
At least 30 years, I'm guessing :v:

But seriously, looking at it makes me realize that character design in the Kirby series does not get close to enough credit.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Very important for Lore-heads: Brobo is there and in full color!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

Very important for Lore-heads: Brobo is there and in full color!

Tiff and Tuff from the anime were included as well

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I've been playing Star Allies some more lately since I mostly just did the main game and didn't touch the postgame stuff when I initially played it. There's some fun little scenes with the characters on the menu screen, like in one of them Suzie and Adeleine are chatting and Taranza walks up, jumps back in shock and turns around to slick back his hair, then turns back and casually strolls up only to find the ladies have walked away while he was trying to make himself look cool.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The thing about Kirby is he never fully understands what's going on, but always tries to do right by his friends. His instincts are pure and good.

Eh, not completely. Squeak Squad does have him storming into Castle Dedede and beating up the king for no reason. Like yeah Kirby suspected D3 stole his cake but Kirby could have asked rather than just breaking and entering and beating D3 up. So Kirby definitely has his selfish and mean streaks.

Last Celebration posted:

That's because the games are inconsistent on which it is. Sometimes he actually has wings, sometimes it's just his cape, the games change it depending on how the director feels that day I guess.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Larryb posted:

Tiff and Tuff from the anime were included as well

So are Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Boxboy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

So are Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Boxboy.

Wario, Escargoon, and Birdo are there too (not entirely sure why they included some Mario characters in this collage though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Larryb posted:

Wario, Escargoon, and Birdo are there too (not entirely sure why they included some Mario characters in this collage though)

The Mario characters cameo in Kirby Superstar. Specifically the King Dedede boss fight at the end of the Spring Breeze section. They're spectators watching the fight between Kirby and Dedede.