Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

The Mario characters cameo in Kirby Superstar. Specifically the King Dedede boss fight at the end of the Spring Breeze section. They're spectators watching the fight between Kirby and Dedede.

Ah right, I guess they count on a technicality then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
They also guest star in one of the best Kirby spin-offs, Super Smash Bros.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, the last True Arena fight…:stare:. Thank goodness they just let you buy retries.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SkeletonHero posted:

They also guest star in one of the best Kirby spin-offs, Super Smash Bros.

My first time playing Super Star was the DS remake which came out right after Brawl, and I remember seeing Wham Bam Rock and it was like a lightbulb went off in my head.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Its Kirby time again

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1519708903352815619

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I've been listening to the KatFL soundtrack as work music for the past month and only just realized the spooky dark level music is a spooky version of the first level's theme :doh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zuzie posted:

The Mario characters cameo in Kirby Superstar. Specifically the King Dedede boss fight at the end of the Spring Breeze section. They're spectators watching the fight between Kirby and Dedede.

But is there Samus and ROB from DL3?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1524917570649956352

Kirby 64 is coming to NSO expansion pass May 20th

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of K64 I wish they’d bring ability mixing back in a future game someday. The closest thing we’ve had since then was in Squeak Squad and Star Allies where doing so would let you add elemental properties to certain weapons (Fire + Sword, Spark + Bomb, etc.)

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1525606764682457088?s=20&t=MFrsQxyRFJI4zFQdwj9AWQ

I would like some more please.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a revisit to ability combos since we only got spiritual successors and not a true revisit. Granted that would have to come with massive moveset simplifications and a huge ability roster culling for that to be logistically possible. 64 only has 7 basic abilities with 49 additional combo abilities after all.

That being said if they go back to the puzzle focused design for that game, I would hope the puzzle design is more refined like in later titles. While the Dark Matter trilogy is fine to play through normally, 100%ing those games are some real loving bullshit and it got worse with each game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kirby 64 was able to have so many abilities because they were all simple one-button deals. Newer Kirby games have iterated on Super Star’s more fleshed out movesets for each ability so having so many combos would be difficult.

Technically, Star Allies after DLC has more “copy abilities” than 64 but that’s because they were able to port over a lot of the moves from the prior 3 games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Quite a few of the Kirby 64 abilities were basically incorporated into later movesets, like Ice+Cutter's ice skates becoming the standard for Ice's moveset, and the first upgrade for Needle being basically Needle+Needle. And Fridge showing up in Adeline's moveset. (Her and Ribbon basically being a lot of Kirby 64 references)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think I hit my first challenge that’s going to be tough. Beating two ice Walruses without getting hit in the last stage of the Ice World.

Does that mean I can’t get touched or take damage?

Maybe I’ll go in and turtle with ice… I dodge ok, but if I dodge one and try a counterattack I just get bodied.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I see speed runners use crash via mixing (swallowing two powers at once)

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think I hit my first challenge that’s going to be tough. Beating two ice Walruses without getting hit in the last stage of the Ice World.

You can't take damage, so perfect guards like Ice or Wild Sword should work fine. Personally, though, I used Meta Knight Sword- the swords beam are super OP and let you effectively camp outside their range, while also helping you breeze through all the bosses building up to them.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Augus posted:

Kirby 64 was able to have so many abilities because they were all simple one-button deals. Newer Kirby games have iterated on Super Star’s more fleshed out movesets for each ability so having so many combos would be difficult.

Technically, Star Allies after DLC has more “copy abilities” than 64 but that’s because they were able to port over a lot of the moves from the prior 3 games.

I feel like you could do this in a post Forgotten Land world, since we only had 10 nominal copy abilities and most had one or two inputs tops.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Maybe I’ll go in and turtle with ice… I dodge ok, but if I dodge one and try a counterattack I just get bodied.

"Easiest" way to do it is to take Time Crash from the shop, then run it all the way to the end by spitting it out and using stars to defeat the other bosses then swallowing it again before it despawns. Time crash should last long enough for you to beat both Frostys at the end. Much less stress than trying to avoid damage with a real fight.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Frosties have a grab attack where they swallow you up, and a body slam that creates damaging terrain where they land. Both of these can hit through Ice's perfect guard. It helps, but there's no real way to (defensively) cheese that fight; you gotta go with your best offense.

I got that one through sheer luck, by swallowing a couple enemies right before the fight and getting Time Crash from the roulette.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I got through it with Drill's earthquake attack, if that helps.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Managed it by turtling with ice and running when appropriate. Am now at the desert zone.

Thank you all and Thank you Kirby.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think I used Meta Knight Sword for most of the no damage stuff, the shockwave move is quick, safe, and pretty long range.

That said, the dual Mr Frosties took a few tries…

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Holy poo poo, nobody told me the 2nd upgrade to Ice did THAT and looked like THAT.

It's amazing and cute as all get out.

I've been upgrading hats on a Treasure Road need basis, is that a good way of going about it or should I save for something special?

Also also, Tilt and Tumble is HARD, I hope this isn't necessary for 100%, those hard modes are not easy to beat.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
You do need to beat the three regular Tilt and Tumble boards because there's a figure behind it. You don't need to beat the Hard Mode versions though, that just gets you three rare stones.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

You do need to beat the three regular Tilt and Tumble boards because there's a figure behind it. You don't need to beat the Hard Mode versions though, that just gets you three rare stones.

Oh wait so you do. I mean of course I want rare stones.

I wish kirby fished fish and not Kirby Fish. I got the gold and felt a bit sad at that being it.

They could've just thrown in the Stardew Valley fishing mini-game and I would've been set.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently they released a new present code for Forgotten Land (“BIRTHDAY”), using it will get you a free Rare Stone

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 25, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So, I'm at 96%. I know I'm missing all the bottlecap collections and the coliseum. I'm fairly certain I didn't get the rare stone in the Forgo Desert area, but I don't think that counts to completion.

I've got 12 Rare stones and I don't know what I want to use them on, now that everything's full evolved.

Heck I don't even know if I want to do the Coliseum. I'm not a huge fan of boss rushes and I don't chase 100% completion. The combat in the game is quite good all things considered. Dodging has a nice feel to it, and though you don't often have the time to attack as I would like, it's still rather satisfying. If I were to try it, what's some good advice before taking it on?

I got to go back now and read all the spoilered stuff too, see if I can make any heads or tails of it.

Also need to wrap Dreamland 3 on the SNES App, it's SUPER cute, but I see why it's a lesser game. I do love the variety the buddies give you. It's not as tight as the GB's Dreamland 2 though, interestingly enough. The heart gimmick is cute, but it's a gimmick and I think I'd be pissed having to replay levels to figure it out if I couldn't just rewind and try something else. Kid me would've dealt, but it's somewhat obtuse all told.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 13, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
This is probably the easiest Colosseum to complete in the series, it’s worth doing

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So, I'm at 96%. I know I'm missing all the bottlecap collections and the coliseum. I'm fairly certain I didn't get the rare stone in the Forgo Desert area, but I don't think that counts to completion.

I've got 12 Rare stones and I don't know what I want to use them on, now that everything's full evolved.

Heck I don't even know if I want to do the Coliseum. I'm not a huge fan of boss rushes and I don't chase 100% completion. The combat in the game is quite good all things considered. Dodging has a nice feel to it, and though you don't often have the time to attack as I would like, it's still rather satisfying. If I were to try it, what's some good advice before taking it on?

Load up on buff items, you can only have one in your inventory but you can consume up to five to extend the duration by buying one, using it, and buying another. Also use Space Ranger and start blasting. Ideally upgrade it at least once. And yeah, it’s easily the easiest arena in a while because if you die you can just resurrect, and also you can just Dark Souls-style dodge into attacks in a 3D plane.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Load up on buff items, you can only have one in your inventory but you can consume up to five to extend the duration by buying one, using it, and buying another. Also use Space Ranger and start blasting. Ideally upgrade it at least once. And yeah, it’s easily the easiest arena in a while because if you die you can just resurrect, and also you can just Dark Souls-style dodge into attacks in a 3D plane.

Oh wait, you don't have to do it all in one go?

I'm ok with that then. That's the part of Rushes that I dislike the most. It's more tedious than anything else.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You pay a fee that doubles on each subsequent loss, so you don’t get infinite tries, but it’s still enough for when you probably wipe at least once to the final arena boss.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
If you have upgraded sleep you can also use that a couple times in the shop to buff up for free, and even heal + buff between fights in the arena if it shows up as the free power.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

If you have upgraded sleep you can also use that a couple times in the shop to buff up for free, and even heal + buff between fights in the arena if it shows up as the free power.

Wait, the Sleep buff stacks? How many times can you abuse this before it stops having an effect?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. If you stack 5 Speeds and Attacks, then buy 1 HP upgrade and bring a second into the arena with you, you have like 16 minutes worth of boosted stats and about 4 health bars the bosses will need to chew through. You can also put Rare Stones into upgrading abilities to make them even more destructive. This is on top of having health upgrades through every battle of the arena.

I personally went with the Swords for my Colosseum runs. You get Meta Knight sword for the babby version of the Colosseum that has only the first half of the game's bosses in it, and its version of the uppercut combo gives you frankly insane numbers of hits that practically stunlock bosses for you. If you use the HP boost, you also keep sword beams until your bonus health bar is depleted. Morpho Knight Sword lacks the stunlock utility, but keeps the sword beams and gives you maybe the game's only source of in battle healing.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Larryb posted:

Wait, the Sleep buff stacks? How many times can you abuse this before it stops having an effect?

Sleep will randomly give one type of buff with 200 seconds of duration. Since the buff timers are paused in town you can keep using it until you’ve gotten them all.

I want to say you can’t stack the same buff this way to extend the duration (so no matter how much you’ll sleep you’ll only get 200 seconds of buff time from it), but I’m not 100% sure on that or how it compares to the purchasable buffs.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Attack up is a 50% damage boost, so it can chew through bosses. Speed up is a 30% speed boost. This doesn't change if you got the buffs from Deep Sleep or the shop.

However Deep Sleep can only give you 1 instance of each buff. If you want to stack beyond 200 seconds, you need to buy more at the item shop. No need for the health extension, obviously. All getting more buffs does is extend the duration. (It's not like Guest Star mode from Star Allies where the effects get stronger the more you have)

Deep Sleep also isn't a straight 1 in 3 chance of giving you each buff.

Attack: 40%
Speed: 40%
Health: 20%

It's more biased at giving you attack and speed, and isn't shy about giving out "repeats", aka no additional effect.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If I were to try it, what's some good advice before taking it on?

For bossing, you'll also want to come in with a max upgraded ability, as the damage boost from power ups are very significant! This applies to any ability, even the lovely tier 1s you ditched for the shiny evolved versions. In some cases they're actually the best ability DPS wise. (i.e Fire destroys bosses so much faster than its evolved versions. Not Sword though. Base Sword is just loving poo poo.)

Toy Hammer is the best DPS ability in the game, but you need to know the best opportunities to deal damage with it to clear bosses fast.

Snake Maze posted:

Neither form of Sleep can show up in the True Arena because of the heal, even with regular Sleep. They just dropped the pretense and just made it so only 1 ability can spawn.

Incidentally this game does have a form of ability safety, as if you've lost your ability somehow in the fight, the game gives it back to you immediately in the next rest area.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks.

I chewed through the 2nd Coliseum with the final sword upgrade and ok. I need to try the 3rd now. It's not all that hard. I should get the health boosts I guess, since that's what usually does me in is an extra hit or two. I get the impression there's another arena after that?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ok the final sword upgrade is pretty broken. The final coliseum was relatively breezy though I did have to use the medicine I bought to heal up at one point during the final boss (first or second phase) and the 3rd phase did get me to less than half my last bar of health. I came in with the trio of sleep upgrades otherwise. That was neat. I think I'll spend the few Stones I have to upgrade Hammer and Ranger. Then I'd probably go with Tornado, Ice, or Fire, if I ever feel like grinding for those. Those are my 3 favorite other skills. I'm still missing 2% which I figure come from the minis. I may have to sit down and click those out.

Good game. The combat needs some fine-tuning. I think Kirby moves great, it's the bosses that are very much dependent on a set of repetitive actions and more or less bigger or smaller windows where they can be hit. It becomes a game of dodge dodge dodge (or shield if your ice) and hit when you can. I guess I expected something like Furi or even Dark Souls, when it's obviously not quite that, but it's rather something how the elements are all there. The enemy ai just has to be a bit sharper.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's pretty much standard Kirby boss design, though it's always been a bit different depending on whether you're using an ability or not. Nintendo in general is pretty 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' when it comes to boss fights in their various genres, which at least is better than half the industry having completely forgotten about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Araxxor posted:

once those developer insights came out and Robobot had some unclear and muddled important details as to what was going on with the Haltmanns that pretty much needed to be elaborated upon ("Why didn't Haltmann recognize Susie? Is Susie a clone?" etc.).

Turns out this was actually the result of a localization gaffe. The bit about Haltmann losing his memories (and emotions) over time from grief was in one of the pause screen description in the Japanese version, but ended up being cut out of the English version. Whoops. Robobot's localization is actually really solid, but it ended up making this one mistake that left the English side of the playerbase with an incomplete puzzle on that front. Which is a shame cause most people pieced together the backstory back in the day, but that part caused some needless confusion.