Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Apparently the game is already out in Australia and a youtuber I watch is playing it right now and I don't know whether to watch it and spoil myself or not.

e: I'm weak and oh my god KIRBY HAS AN ANIME OPENING WITH LYRICS. e2: er, "anime" in that it's a theme song and some cute scenes, not like actual drawn images, I should clarify

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Twelve by Pies posted:

Apparently the game is already out in Australia and a youtuber I watch is playing it right now and I don't know whether to watch it and spoil myself or not.

I spoiled myself and trust me, you’re gonna want to play it for yourself. I wish I could un-know that optimus prime shows up to help you kill shadow the hedgehog

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So after watching this for a while one thing I will say is a little disappointing (and the streamer has brought this up too) is the audio mixing is very weird and unbalanced in this game. Kirby and the Waddle Dee's voices are barely audible above the music, and the battle sound effects are perfectly fine so it's not a matter of the sound effects as a whole being too quiet, it's just the voices.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I think I'm going to buy Kirby today.
I know I'll probably blitz through it and it'll be too easy and I should be finishing other games I'm already playing but the idea of chill adventure fun times with my good friend Kirby sounds really nice right now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There's also a bit of aim assist with enemies when spitting out objects (And some enemies and obstacles can be flagged to have it or not.) Said aim assist is less generous in Wild Mode. 20 degrees compared to Spring Breeze's detection of 40 degrees.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So if anyone’s played the demo then 2 questions:

1: Does anything carry over to the full game progress wise (like star coins for example)?

2: What do the two passwords you get for beating the demo unlock?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Larryb posted:

So if anyone’s played the demo then 2 questions:

1: Does anything carry over to the full game progress wise (like star coins for example)?

1: No. The demo was just a level selection demo, it won't carry over anything.

No idea what the passwords unlock, as I gotta put the rest of the game off for tomorrow.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFQBiKwlEk

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Been playing Kirby and its good. Something just feels nice about Kirby running about in 3D.

Wish they just revealed all the bonus objectives when you complete a level the first time though. I've had to replay a couple of stages like 3 times because I kept missing stuff.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Been playing Kirby and its good. Something just feels nice about Kirby running about in 3D.

Wish they just revealed all the bonus objectives when you complete a level the first time though. I've had to replay a couple of stages like 3 times because I kept missing stuff.

Yeah that replay level thing is what is killing Epic Yarn on the 3DS for me. Not only is it too easy, even for a Kirby game, but I just can't find the interest in trying get more things. I don't care about the interior design stuff. I find it coasts way too hard on its aesthetic without being fun.

Plus there's like no copy abilities and the ones that are there aren't even that good. I think I'll still try to beat it but I'll probably stop at that point. I just finished the ice world, so I presume I don't have far to go.

---

That said, maybe it's not so bad in Forgotten Land? I really enjoyed the demo. I trying to be good and not buying games I can't play immediately, so I won't get it right now, but it's interested me far more than Star Allies ever did when I saw the first trailers. I would eventually get that, and it was fun, especially as a Kirby fan, but I don't know why Forgotten Land just looks so much more interesting.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I love Kirby games. I played so much Nightmare on Dreamland on GBA I started making challenge speed runs for myself before I knew what they were. I’ve been a bit dissapointed with the last several but I hope the switch one is well received and good

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Larryb posted:

You can't use the passwords until you rescue 50 Waddle Dees.

CLEARDEMO gets you 300 star coins.

NEWADVENTURE gets you 300 star coins and 1 rare stone.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Araxxor posted:

You can't use the passwords until you rescue 50 Waddle Dees.

CLEARDEMO gets you 300 star coins.

NEWADVENTURE gets you 300 star coins and 1 rare stone.

Thanks, what do rare stones do?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Larryb posted:

Thanks, what do rare stones do?

They're the secondary currency needed to upgrade copy abilities. You get them from mini challenge levels hidden on the world map.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I'm about to leave work and pick up Kirby and the Forgotten Land and I highly suggest all of you do the same, save for those lucky few who have done so already.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

So the first thing the Dees rebuild is their movie theater. If you talk to the Dee behind the counter he roughly says “movies are important, wanna fight about it?”

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Elfilin: Let's power up your copy abilities by spending star coins!

Me: Hmm, yes, we should do that. *spends all my star coins on gacha*

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I'll do gacha when there's an option to do them in bulk. One by one takes too long.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
“What do we do when Kirby goes in the water?”
“He gets a floatie”
“Okay, what about bombs from his bomb ability?”
“They too get floaties”

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'll do gacha when there's an option to do them in bulk. One by one takes too long.

I think it might just be better to save those for whenever levels stop giving you capsules of a specific volume. I might've gotten lucky, but the ones from levels gave me a new one from volume 1 every time until I ran out of the non-set prizes.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TtRoxasMdQ

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So considering there are no lives in this game what happens if you run out of health (I assume you either restart the stage or get booted back to the map screen)?

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
You go to the last checkpoint you've passed and lose 100 coins.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BrokenLink posted:

You go to the last checkpoint you've passed and lose 100 coins.

Makes sense, I assume if you die to a boss their health bar will be fully refilled?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Played a bit last night, and this might be controversial, but this is a good game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The time requirements for some of these Treasure Roads are tough, especially the Staircase Mouth one. I got all the ones in area 1 and a couple in area 2. So far it seems like all they give you is 50 star coins, but I'm worried some of them might give you blueprints, also I'm sure you need to get all the time requirements for 100%.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I haven't gotten any additional reward other than the 50 star coins.

Also I'm pretty sure there's no "platinum" or anything for the Treasure Roads, as I completed some in pretty much the minimal time possible, so it seems like it's just the times listed that you have to aim to beat.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Picked up the new game at my nearest Target today, which also had these. It was a good choice because they happened to have a single biggish plush of my spirit Kirby left

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Thought Kirby’s hands were his feet at first.

Horrified at what Kirby’s feet would look like.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Palmtree Panic posted:

Thought Kirby’s hands were his feet at first.

Horrified at what Kirby’s feet would look like.

For all we know the red things under his body literally ARE his feet and not shoes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I did real bad at the flying section because the controls aren't inverted, and there's no option to change it. :negative:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I did real bad at the flying section because the controls aren't inverted, and there's no option to change it. :negative:

I’m not there yet but I know you can change your controls normally in the pause menu, does that not apply in that section?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

There's only two control settings, choosing between Type A and B (B has the actions on the correct buttons while A does not) and whether auto swallow for enemies with copy abilities is on or off. There is no option to invert controls for the flying section (I assume because if there were it would also invert them during the normal 3D sections which nobody wants).

e: Though I don't know if the option pops up while you're flying, as I didn't think to check. I'm sure there will be other flying sections and I'll check then, but I assume there won't be an option.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The L/R button changes inversion while flying.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dehry posted:

The L/R button changes inversion while flying.

Oh poo poo, thanks! I must have missed that.

I unlocked Wise Waddle Dee and apparently this game is popular. So far over 22 million Waddles Dees have been rescued, and over 1.5 billion star coins have been collected worldwide.

Also apparently the record for beating the second boss is 12 seconds. Curious how that works. Someone also managed to serve 44 Waddle Dees on the Frenzy Gig which seems impossible.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also apparently the record for beating the second boss is 12 seconds. Curious how that works. Someone also managed to serve 44 Waddle Dees on the Frenzy Gig which seems impossible.

There's a store that sells power up items that increases attack power. I assume that had to have been used.

Not sure about the cafe thing though.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

forgotten land is basically exactly what i wanted out of a 3d kirby game so far

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Araxxor posted:

There's a store that sells power up items that increases attack power. I assume that had to have been used.

Not the case because the 12 second record was set with the Normal ability which means no copy ability used.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I only had the demo, are the rest of the moves an upgrade thing? I didn't know if I could do the stab or slice with the sword and cutter, the ice power didn't that that big AOE ice move when you run or the air spin attack. There were no controls for me to check how anything worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There's a couple of additional moves you can pull off for each ability, but unfortunately they did cut down the movelists for this game. And the ability roster for that matter.

Also there aren't movelists in the game for some reason.