Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I like to think Gorimondo is such an easy boss because he doesn't actually want to hurt anyone and isn't eager to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Squeak Squad I wouldn't say is bad, but I beat the entire thing in basically a day. (and then sustained a minor head injury, so my memory may be vague)

Mass Attack actually is the closest thing to a direct followup, since you have the Squeak Squad as support characters who give you outright lore on the setting.

Speaking of lore, it has been a theme that stuff established in Kirby games tends to have its context filled in later on. The whole Halcandria thing in Return to Dream Land gets given more context in Robobot iirc, where it's mentioned they also built Nova and its like, and that in turn sets up Star Allies' establishing they had a schism of technology vs mysticism. And the spinoffs also contribute crucial info! Team Kirby Clash apparently heavily implies that Galacta Knight was once known as the Aeon Hero, and was one of four heroes who had originally sealed away the Jamba Heart with those spears in ancient times... also, Galacta Knight's appearances in general are their own mystery, as he sometimes appears in games getting beaten/sealed away in the manner he was released from in the previous game, and supposedly he isn't necessarily following a linear timeline. The popular fanon is that he was sealed away outside of time.

...point is, the context for the Forgotten Land might be made clearer in a future game. There's already theories going around about its connection to Shiver Star, and both worlds have implicit connections to Haltmann Works. (The figure for the Lightron Works Company billboard mentions that the megacorp was divided into various splinter companies, covering its various specialties... and other figures cover each of the companies it was split into, except for the 'Works' department...)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 19, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sillydillo isn't exactly hard once you figure out what you're supposed to do, but I do find it interesting how he's basically a 'do you know how to dodge yet?' exam, he's definitely where it finally clicked for me. For a lot of younger players I imagine he's going to be a skill wall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I remember people used to theorize Meta Knight was being mind-controlled in Revenge of Meta Knight. Now it's pretty much unanimously agreed that no, he just decided that was the perfect time to attempt to reveal his cool battleship. Maybe he was gonna attempt a coup on Dedede.

The idea of Meta Knight attempting a coup on Dedede is very funny if you consider what happens if he succeeds.

Speaking of, the reveal at the end that Meta Knight has been in the arena this whole time because he's been playing defense and watching over the Waddle Dee town actually seems like some character growth. He's implicitly trusting Kirby to go out and save the world, while making sure to protect those he rescues! At the end you've got him standing vigil by the arena with Dedede relaxing nearby, and there's a real sense that these folks have gone from antagonism to being part of a community together.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, Kirby's literally gone on a full blown unstoppable rampage because someone stole his cake. One of the things that makes Dedede a fun rival to Kirby is that they frankly have a lot in common; like the whole point of the Great Gourmet Race is that they're literally having a contest of gluttony. (Not to mention Dedede also has Kirby's signature inhale and floating abilities!) The anime has a lot of fun with that too, with Dedede specifically having a rivalry with Kirby and often ending up in the same boat as a result. Makes it all the funnier that Kirby's best friend is also Dedede's right hand Dee. (He's probably over lunch 'Oh, the boss is going to try to get revenge on you again next Monday. See you at six?')

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also sometimes especially in older games but also newer ones there's a whole bunch of Kirbys around and sometimes there's just the one.

Also kinda funny that everyone thought Elfillin was gonna be the new Marx/Magalor and turn into some terrifying abomination and they were half-right, but he's actually the new Gooey but with an actual arc this time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Larryb posted:

I like to think Meta Knight only wears his mask because it looks cool (and/or he’s actually kind of shy since he immediately warps away whenever it comes off), alternatively he’s just embarrassed about his resemblance to Kirby and wears it to maintain his image

Pretty sure it's because he desperately wants to look cool and no one takes him seriously when he's an adorable puffball

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dragon Fire is kinda ridiculous for bosses since you can just set them on fire and spend the rest of the time dodging, and the air flying move is good for getting out of the way fast.

Fully upgraded Ice even has a dedicated slow and freeze mechanic for bosses and minibosses, though I find it a bit tricky since it throws off your muscle memory bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zuzie posted:

The Mario characters cameo in Kirby Superstar. Specifically the King Dedede boss fight at the end of the Spring Breeze section. They're spectators watching the fight between Kirby and Dedede.

But is there Samus and ROB from DL3?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Quite a few of the Kirby 64 abilities were basically incorporated into later movesets, like Ice+Cutter's ice skates becoming the standard for Ice's moveset, and the first upgrade for Needle being basically Needle+Needle. And Fridge showing up in Adeline's moveset. (Her and Ribbon basically being a lot of Kirby 64 references)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's pretty much standard Kirby boss design, though it's always been a bit different depending on whether you're using an ability or not. Nintendo in general is pretty 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' when it comes to boss fights in their various genres, which at least is better than half the industry having completely forgotten about them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My first thought was 'Kirby version of Mario Party', probably not helped by one classic Mario Party board being a literal cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fall Guys but with Kirby seems really oddly fitting. Then again, Fall Guys is basically massively multiplayer Mario Party.