Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hadlock posted:

My schedule is all hosed up because of a project, and I live near a beach, please enjoy:

:swoon:

If you’re anywhere near as accomplished a mechanic that you clearly are as a photographer, this will be nothing but a joy.

Also: jelly that you have a lift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Thank you I enjoy that a lot.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

First daycare pickup was a success. Toddler's first time with the wind blowing in her face but she adjusted pretty quickly.

Coming up on the 1000 mile mark, making preparations for Operation Nipple Clamp

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 21, 2022

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Thank you for posting your car in the "Post your Ride" thread and linking your thread, that car is amazing

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hadlock posted:

First daycare pickup was a success. Toddler's first time with the wind blowing in her face but she adjusted pretty quickly.

Coming up on the 1000 mile mark, making preparations for Operation Nipple Clamp

gotta add the ironic “Student Driver” tag for maximum car douchebag points

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ok Comboomer posted:

do the french conduite accompagnee sticker

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have at least one Learner's "L" on a blue field somewhere. Maybe more than one...a sticker & a magnet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

I have at least one Learner's "L" on a blue field somewhere. Maybe more than one...a sticker & a magnet.

It's France, the equivalent is a red A on a white background.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The french give learner drivers a literal scarlet letter?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's France, the equivalent is a red A on a white background.

Maybe now it is. When I lived there, it was a white "L" on a blue field.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Boring work log incomming:

Giant box of parts arrived. Mostly lightbulbs, festoon bulbs etc.

Pulled apart all the lights. They are just plastic shells held on by a single screw in the center, and some kind of rubber "gasket" to keep the worst of the wet out. Extremely simple. Turns out (pun not intended) most of the bulbs were festoons with corrosion problems with the contact areas. Rotating them slightly brought them back to life. So now I have running lights and brake lights again! Hooray!

Replaced the headlights. This one was out, probably new old stock, but perilously close to the original build date. Oddly, made by Mazda? I guess a lot of these cars came with a Zenith made solex carb. The other one was a Philips. The replacement bulbs are also yellow, but they're a different less intense yellow, more white. So sadly I swapped out the functioning bulb so I'd have two mostly matching bulbs. New bulbs are also 40/45w instead of 36/45. The other was a philips bulb with a sept '59 date stamp and really elaborate glasswork. Note glass is truly yellow, not tinted after the fact; headlight bulbs (not blinker bulbs) like these haven't been manufactured since the mid-1990s and hyper rare, even the tinted ones avalible today aren't as amber, and cost $45 each. But at least they're period correct :science:

Position light wasn't lighting up for some reason. These are itty bitty little red lumps of translucent plastic about the size of a dice, with a giant festoon bulb behind it. The festoon bulb shines upwards through a 1/4" hole in a copper clip, and also shines forward through a small slit in the forward reflector. I guess these are supposed to be your parking lights, or whatever. You would have trouble seeing these from more than about 30 feet away, especially at anything over 15mph. I think lighting was pretty grim up until the late 90s/early 2000s when LED finally became usable so safety lighting was mostly an afterthought as incandecent bulbs are pretty thirsty.

Was being perilously held in by a loose copper clip. Re-bent the copper clip and seems to be holding fine. I think it's missing a gasket, I might try and print one in black TPU? Holding the copper clip in place was a very ancient piece of duct tape that had more in common with paper than tape at this point.

The blinkers use a different style of bulb mount. Looks like the collar of the bulb connects to the chassis (ground) and the screw + spring connects to the pin... but also connects to the chassis? On closer inspection, looks like there might be a piece of wool acting as an insulator, with that square.... rivet head thing, passing the connection through. This is the first design choice I've run across that seems ill advised, I'll have to find a diagram and figure out what the hell is going on here, on the front fender blinkers at least, that square rivet is threaded on the other side that connects to a power cable. For the rear blinkers, that piece is probably hidden behind some upholstery at eye level when you're sitting down. The interior upholstery has all been replaced pretty recently so I'm loathe to start taking that apart if I can avoid it.

The exhaust manifold has a white, powdery finish to it? Not sure if this is... ash? From the Exhaust? or what. I know a lot of owners get their exhaust stuff ceramic coated to cut down on engine bay heat (note the heat shield attempting to protect the carb). Brilliantly the intake manifold is bolted to the exhaust manifold. You can see some white stuff flaking off in the bottom right off the exhaust pipe, but doesn't look... ceramic-y. Also of note is the mystery inspection port in the bottom left, it has an odd shape to it, curious what's in there. On either side of the engine are two giant uh, pyramidal box sections that support the front wheels/most of the engine/all of the transmission so I think these are empty. I thought maybe it was an access port for more grease nipples, but nope they're all way forward of this :iiam:

Engine and chassis tags. On the left of the engine tag is a patented engine mount that andre citroen bought a licence to from.... plymouth? it I think is called an "engine isolator" and does a fantastic job of preventing engine vibration from entering the cabin. When people talk about this being the birth of the modern family car they're not joking, riding in this vs a model A is night and day, which is amazing considering they were only designed about five years apart.

I think this may be contributing to the heat build up, slightly? The "heating system" in this car is a plate that blocks off the radiator, and a literal funnel that also literally pipes a meager amount of forced air into the cabin. The car apparently originally came with a plate that ran across the entire bottom of the back of the radiator and covered the bottom third, to help improve airflow into the funnel. I live in a hot humid area, and this appears to be removable with two bolts, so good chance this is coming off soon, and staying off through October. Full size index finger for scale. Second shot of said heat pipe. Note bottom center, the engine compartment has a dedicated spot with spring-mounted clip to hold a permanent ~1 liter oil can, next to the oil dip stick and fuel pump. The gas evaporates out of the carb overnight so to save the starter (and embarrassment with guests) it's just easier to pop the hood, give it about 10 good pulls of the manual pump, double-check the oil while you're in there why not.

The number on that belt (for me reference) sayd SICA No 183 21

Oh yeah this was interesting. Mine are badly UV-degraded, I guess they're also position lights. Apparently the positive end of the bulb is a screw, and it just has spring clips that double as negative ground :shrug: The old bulbs use a ~M5 or M6 bolt, and my replacement bulbs use a blade, so uh, not sure what to do here. What's left of the (probably original) wiring loom doesn't have enough cable left to splice on a blade clip, so either I bolt a blade clip to the existing cable, or.... solder a (the?) bolt to the blade. The blade is just small enough that I can't safely drill out that tiny existing hole, although, thinking about it, I could get a tiny ~M2.5 bolt and just bulk up on washers? I really want to fix this as it's highly visibile and and at eye level, and clearly in need or replacement. Also unfortunately, the replacement is also plastic, the shiny metal is just cheap reflective paint, not chromed brass or whatever. Also they have weird poorly sealed rubber uh, I hesitate to call them gaskets, washers, that are intended to minimize water inflow. This is directly below the drip-gutter thing so not a huge problem, but also a noted source of corrossion. Not that I plan on driving this in the pouring rain all that often. Maybe there's some kind of "make your own compound-curve gasket" silicone kit on the internet. Because I destroyed at least one rubber washer getting this bulb out. And the other one isn't far behind.

Very interesting light patterns O.o && -- . _

https://i.imgur.com/sBBfCW2.mp4

Near the end you can see me pointing out the tiny tiny tiny red position indicators at the top of the light ...pods. The headlights are roughly in line with the wall, no idea why they look so different. Going to pretend I didn't see that and lalala I can't hear you

Finally, the car came with a sort of dust cover, I noticed that the engine bay was starting to get dusty and decided to try it out, please enjoy my car's halloween ghost costume, 4 months early:

:ghost::hf::choco:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Mazda bulbs were probably the (more) original bulbs. Mazda was a french manufacturer of radio tubes and light bulbs.
The reverse (Adzam) too.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hadlock posted:

Boring work log incoming:

Giant box of parts arrived. Mostly lightbulbs, festoon bulbs etc.

Pulled apart all the lights. They are just plastic shells held on by a single screw in the center, and some kind of rubber "gasket" to keep the worst of the wet out. Extremely simple. Turns out (pun not intended) most of the bulbs were festoons with corrosion problems with the contact areas. Rotating them slightly brought them back to life. So now I have running lights and brake lights again! Hooray!

Replaced the headlights. ...
You may want to clean all of those contacts with a small wire brush or file, then swab on some die-electric / anti-corrosion grease for long-term corrosion protection.

Mazda is a brand & type, made & sold in the US as well, up into the 1920s. Other brands you may see are Osram and Philips.

Hadlock posted:

Position light wasn't lighting up for some reason. These are itty bitty little red lumps of translucent plastic about the size of a dice, with a giant festoon bulb behind it. The festoon bulb shines upwards through a 1/4" hole in a copper clip, and also shines forward through a small slit in the forward reflector. I guess these are supposed to be your parking lights, or whatever. You would have trouble seeing these from more than about 30 feet away, especially at anything over 15mph.
The world was a much darker place in the 1930s, especially in Europe (politics notwithstanding).

Hadlock posted:

I think lighting was pretty grim up until the late 90s/early 2000s when LED finally became usable so safety lighting was mostly an afterthought as incandecent bulbs are pretty thirsty.

As an old fart, I take offense. :v: Lighting was just fine, the factory lighting in my '65 Ford & '66 Pontiac are more than adequate; but what you say is true, up into the early 1960s, and especially in Europe, which did not have much in the way of high-speed roads. The Eisenhower Transportation System development of the interstates in the US propelled US carmakers to incorporate advancements in lighting, horsepower, and braking, as cars were previously built to handle poorly-graded & lit local roads with limited straightaways & questionable grading/paving.

And yeah, you may need to build or acquire a gasket/gasketing material for those position lamps on top of your headlight buckets.

Hadlock posted:

The blinkers use a different style of bulb mount. Looks like the collar of the bulb connects to the chassis (ground) and the screw + spring connects to the pin... but also connects to the chassis? On closer inspection, looks like there might be a piece of wool acting as an insulator, with that square.... rivet head thing, passing the connection through. This is the first design choice I've run across that seems ill advised, I'll have to find a diagram and figure out what the hell is going on here, on the front fender blinkers at least, that square rivet is threaded on the other side that connects to a power cable. For the rear blinkers, that piece is probably hidden behind some upholstery at eye level when you're sitting down. The interior upholstery has all been replaced pretty recently so I'm loathe to start taking that apart if I can avoid it.
If it's working, I wouldn't mess with it.

Hadlock posted:

The exhaust manifold has a white, powdery finish to it? Not sure if this is... ash? From the Exhaust? or what.
Appears to be high-temp exhaust manifold paint. It won't have a significant ablative effect; a wrap would work better, should vapor lock continue to be an issue. Beefing up the heat shield with an insulating material may help.

Hadlock posted:

Also of note is the mystery inspection port in the bottom left, it has an odd shape to it, curious what's in there.
Guessing that the top of the transmission is under there

Hadlock posted:

Engine and chassis tags. On the left of the engine tag is a patented engine mount that andre citroen bought a licence to from.... plymouth? it I think is called an "engine isolator" and does a fantastic job of preventing engine vibration from entering the cabin. When people talk about this being the birth of the modern family car they're not joking, riding in this vs a model A is night and day, which is amazing considering they were only designed about five years apart.
The 'floating power' system was a Chrysler innovation, and Citroen did use the system for these cars under license.

Hadlock posted:

Oh yeah this was interesting. Mine are badly UV-degraded, I guess they're also position lights. Apparently the positive end of the bulb is a screw, and it just has spring clips that double as negative ground :shrug: The old bulbs use a ~M5 or M6 bolt, and my replacement bulbs use a blade, so uh, not sure what to do here. What's left of the (probably original) wiring loom doesn't have enough cable left to splice on a blade clip, so either I bolt a blade clip to the existing cable, or.... solder a (the?) bolt to the blade.
If there is absolutely no way to get to the end of the wire to cut it & install a flag connector: I would take a lug, a female flag connector, a short run of wire, & a large piece of shrink-type insulation tube & make an adapter; use the shortest fastener that you can find (nut, bolt, lockwasher) and connect the two lugs together, slather them with anti-corrosion jelly, and shrink-wrap the whole thing, leaving an extension with the female flag exposed for the new fixture.

Hadlock posted:

Very interesting light patterns O.o && -- . _

https://i.imgur.com/sBBfCW2.mp4

Near the end you can see me pointing out the tiny tiny tiny red position indicators at the top of the light ...pods. The headlights are roughly in line with the wall, no idea why they look so different. Going to pretend I didn't see that and lalala I can't hear you
Your headlights are out of adjustment. There have to be at least two screws, oriented 90-degrees for each other around the perimeter of the headlamp, that control up/down and left/right. Lower the garage door & use it as a reference. Take your newest car, park it as far away as you can from the garage door, and mark off on the garage door with painter's tape, where low and high beams are centered (they should be different). Tape or mark the driveway, pull the Citroen up, and adjust them to the marks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

HELP: my exotic french car is covered in nipples,

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

builds character fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 7, 2022

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Superbe! Formidable! Splendide! Bravo! Magnifique!

casque
Mar 17, 2009

joat mon posted:

Superbe! Formidable! Splendide! Bravo! Magnifique!

Hypercool! Chouette!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's super humid coming back from the beach, this was the least amount of smeary I was able to get the lens, but I think it worked out ok

Also apparently the 3 gallons of gas I put in a month ago was not enough, ran out of fuel driving home but managed to coast into the only ethanol free gas station in town, had to push it the last six feet or so

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Also apparently the 3 gallons of gas I put in a month ago was not enough, ran out of fuel driving home but managed to coast into the only ethanol free gas station in town, had to push it the last six feet or so

sounds like a French car

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hadlock posted:

It's super humid coming back from the beach, this was the least amount of smeary I was able to get the lens, but I think it worked out ok

This car is just so classy. It's interesting considering that it wasn't an expensive car at the time. It just looks so nice like a well made suit from a department store.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it's like those Marvel "What if?" comic books

What if Ford introduced the Taurus in the late 80s, but instead they used the BMW E38 as their design brief?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wife wanted sushi, drove the family downtown

Been driving the car about twice a week, this week drove the kiddo to daycare and back three times. The car feels like it really wants to GO but it's being held back. A carb rebuild kit and bottle of carb cleaner might be in my future? Dunno last time I owned a carbureted car was an f-350 and I was 16 and my dad did all the maintenance on it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Wife wanted sushi, drove the family downtown

Been driving the car about twice a week, this week drove the kiddo to daycare and back three times. The car feels like it really wants to GO but it's being held back. A carb rebuild kit and bottle of carb cleaner might be in my future? Dunno last time I owned a carbureted car was an f-350 and I was 16 and my dad did all the maintenance on it

that plate really should say « ZUT ALORS »

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

How's the timing? if it's retarded, it'll feel that way.

Sometimes, running it a little advanced (no knock) helps zip it up some, too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

How's the timing? if it's retarded, it'll feel that way.

Sometimes, running it a little advanced (no knock) helps zip it up some, too.

I’ll have you know, I love my retarded French car and I think it’s perfect just the way it is

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's actually a knob to adjust the timing in the cab. Makes cold starts a breeze

That's not to say the 84yo guy who restored it did an adequate job on the timing before he sold it to me. I should probably check that out

Still having some issues with vacuum lock. I looked into it, ethanol free gas boils at 94° and it's been in the low 90s here so even a few degrees above ambient under the hood seems liable to trigger it. Especially since the fuel pump is on one side and the fuel line runs over the front/top of the engine to the other side, where the carb is shielded from the exhaust manifold by 2 inches and a thin piece of sheet metal

Getting better at managing vacuum lock though, haven't stalled out in weeks, can navigate traffic fine, but start to get antsy at especially long lights

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Just to clarify, that's a car seat in the rear window, is a "functional" baby on board sign, as that's pretty much the only thing this car is used for

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Just to clarify, that's a car seat in the rear window, is a "functional" baby on board sign, as that's pretty much the only thing this car is used for

yeah I know I’m sorry, I must’ve been extra weed + distracted because I can’t remember posting that and I don’t rly like it in hindsight. Kind of a lovely comment, IDK why.

anyway how does the hadspawn like the ancient car? does the baby appreciably notice the difference between it and anything newer or contemporary?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah she definitely identifies it as "car" but beyond saying "hot" a lot (no A/C) doesn't yet distinguish it well from any other car yet. All the ladies at daycare know who I am now, though

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 5, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Had a weird day. Got the house and yard pest sprayed, wife took the car into the office today, took my cat with me to avoid inhaling a bunch of poison. Also the neighborhood was having an extended power outage. As I was pulling the car out of the garage, my neighbor who has been wanting a ride for a long time pops his head over the fence. His power is out too so me, my cat and my neighbor take a trip down to harbor freight to get some parts for a go kart build I'm almost ready to build

It's hard to understate the number of honks, smiles and thumbs ups I get. "What kind of car is that?" rapidly followed by a frown and "what's a citrus?" I should just start telling people it's a baby rolls Royce or a Bentley or something that's what they want to hear

Anyways park way far away from everyone. As we come out of harbor freight, this guy runs across six lanes of traffic and starts live streaming an interview with me on social media about me and my cat car. Another couple came over to check it out as well, one car car-show

Guy live streaming was just on top of the world, seeing my car just made his whole day, was beaming and handshakes all around

Stopped dropped off neighbor, and stopped for a late lunch

On the way back, while driving down the road some teenager rolled down the window in their dad's Honda, leans out the passenger side to give me a big thumbs up and a "legit cool car, old dude" grin. If teenagers think it's cool, it must be a cool car. Teenagers don't think hardly anything old dudes do is cool

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 25, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Washed and waxed for the first time since spring. Mostly the same

Engine bay got a very light wash down to knock any grime loose

Temps are starting to come down, car idles great when it's not 88-95F outside, vapor lock problems have disappeared as we move away from warm weather. Considering the boiling point of gas is ~93F, no surprise I was having issues

The carb secondary still seems to be sticking, occasionally I'll feel the car jump forward as the throttle finally opens up. Car does fine without further tuning, probably a next year problem. Gives me plenty of time to find a rebuild kit. It's a solex style carb, so I don't think they're exceptionally hard to find.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Period-correct and model/manufacturer-correct hood ornaments are on sale this weekend, should I splurge? Or is it just going to get stolen by some teenagers

Current status:

Proposed upgrade:

This is called "motive virgin" I'll have to consult my traction avant book to find out the whole backstory but it's different from the one you're probably thinking of, "spirit of ecstasy" which is, Rolls-Royce, I think

Edit: examples

The last one is from the larger 15cv which is very slightly different grill but not significant enough to matter

Double edit: one more, it's important to note that my car does not have the chrome headlamps, just regular black

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 16, 2022

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yes, I vote you put a chrome virgin on the hood.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mustache Ride posted:

Yes, I vote you put a chrome virgin on the hood.

after all, it is a car owned by a goon

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Tout à fait!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I think you need that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

gently caress yes get the hood ornament.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just keep it away from '55 Cadillacs.