Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Found this tonight. I guess it's about an hour, walks through the back half of a circumnavigation of the earth in two traction Avant for... Probably a magazine called "VCB" out of Paris, looks like very late 80s very very early 90s I spot an electric canon typewriter + some JCV VHS tapes

Some notable points, near the beginning getting towed out of a marshy swampy area with an elephant in what I'm guessing is Thailand, and I guess they run into some guy in what looks like Nigeria or Morocco with an impressive antique Mercedes collection near the 40 minutes mark. Also at some point they pick through a Traction Avant junk yard in Chile. I don't speak a lick of French but still a good video. They do race a train and swerve out of the way of an elephant at the last second too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAIigBRcG_I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Found this tonight. I guess it's about an hour, walks through the back half of a circumnavigation of the earth in two traction Avant for... Probably a magazine called "VCB" out of Paris, looks like very late 80s very very early 90s I spot an electric canon typewriter + some JCV VHS tapes

Some notable points, near the beginning getting towed out of a marshy swampy area with an elephant in what I'm guessing is Thailand, and I guess they run into some guy in what looks like Nigeria or Morocco with an impressive antique Mercedes collection near the 40 minutes mark. Also at some point they pick through a Traction Avant junk yard in Chile. I don't speak a lick of French but still a good video. They do race a train and swerve out of the way of an elephant at the last second too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAIigBRcG_I

Item #52 on the list:

Mark the location of all elephants along your route.

On a more serious note, find out if there are any blackholes in cellphone service along the way. Despite having the AAA 200 mile tow service and calling it it, they dropped the first callout because they could not reach us again via cell to confirm location with the tow driver. This in a fairly well trafficked national forest, not even 30min away from the nearest town. What should have taken 2 hours took 4, and only that little time because of some good Samaritans willing to drive up and down the road to find signal.

e: come to think of it, have dedicated check-in call times before and after long stretches. It couldn't hurt. Communication is key.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 19, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm not sure what route you'll be taking through Austin (I'm guessing significantly south of me), but if you need a place to wrench, I have a garage in the northwestern suburbs. It's a 1 car apartment garage, but it looks like the dimensions aren't far off from my current car.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

My suggestion would be to budget an extra two days or so for bullshit, be it breakdowns or bad weather or just wanting to spend more time somewhere. Getting to your destination a little early isn’t a big deal, but is sucks explaining to your boss/wife/etc why you’re standing in a gas station in Santa Fe rather than working/helping kids unpack/etx.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

STR posted:

I'm not sure what route you'll be taking through Austin (I'm guessing significantly south of me), but if you need a place to wrench, I have a garage in the northwestern suburbs. It's a 1 car apartment garage, but it looks like the dimensions aren't far off from my current car.

I also have a place next to my broken down junk and a garage full of tools you're welcome to in south Austin. Also a bed if needed.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
You should bring a couple Mennonites, just in case.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

joat mon posted:

You should bring a couple Mennonites, just in case.

Furthering my father's idea that since you can't throw a stone in any direction in this world without hitting a German, you may as well bring a German with you on any long trip. Just in case.

Which idea is kinda-sorta why I exist at all.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the current plan is to limp into ATL/Nola/ATX, fly home, park it for a few weeks until parts come in, pick a favorable weather window fly out install parts, keep going. Presumably (?!?!!) whatever is going to break before I get to San Francisco is going to break before Austin, short of putting a rod through the side of the of the block.

I have two IRL distant ex coworkers in Atlanta, one person in NOLA, a handful of people near Alexandria, LA and then in Houston, Shiner, San Antonio, Fredericksburg a bunch of friends extended family etc. Things get very sparse west of Fredericksburg to about Los Angeles, but that's a future Hadlock problem. I think I know one person in Odessa and one person in Tucson. I super appreciate the offers, I may take one or more of you up on some offers yet.

Once I get to ATX I'll fly back until I have a new window of 3-4 days to make further progress

I'll fully admit I've had nothing to do* for the last week waiting for the movers to arrive except sit at home and binge watch Vice Grip Garage's "sat for 20 years will it run and drive home 800 miles?!" videos pretty much non-stop which is instilling me with an absurd amount of false confidence

*Yes I fully realize I could have been driving the car this last week, but wife said "do not drive the car to California until at we're done moving" and don't want to ruffle any feathers ahead of what's obviously gonna be a very stressful move

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 21, 2023

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Are you parking it at friends’ houses or at airports?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I doubt it but if you're anywhere near southern Ohio I've got a garage and a spare room.

You could probably plan a goon route and sleep for free the whole way.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Going to Ohio would involve climbing the Appalachians, though that would set me up for touring Montana and Yellowstone which would be cool. Not a lot of scenic mountains on my current trip (by design)

Car has been pickled in a storage unit and prepaid for three months, hopefully I get some change back. Still need to go by there and drop off a jack, jack stands and my spare set of metric wrenches but then that project is done

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mom can we get a Traction Avant?
We already have a Traction Avant at home

The Traction Avant at home

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I mean they're not technically wrong...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ah the art deco future that could have been...

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ah the art deco future that could have been...

Awwww this makes me sad it didn’t come to be

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Car is officially officially pickled now

Found some random stuff in the glove box. I'd known it was in here but never looked very closely. Looks like some spare bulbs and a handful of carbon brushes for the starter? I'm not sure how they wear but look pretty new to me. Car cranks right up so I'm guessing he put new brushes in the starter when he had the engine out in '19

Threw 5 quarts of heavy weight oil, half a gallon of antifreeze,a jack in the trunk along with what looks like three screwdrivers and a ~50pc set of bit drivers in the trunk. The movers took my jack stands with me so I'll have to grab another pair on my way out of town at harbor freight

Edit: also have two boxes of random spare parts I ordered including the carb rebuild kit, hood ornament and probably close to an entire set of 6v bulbs for the car. Ran out of time to order a complete set of continent crossing spares so I'll do that after I get settled at the new house and closer to go time

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 26, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hadlock posted:

The movers took my jack stands with me so I'll have to grab another pair on my way out of town at harbor freight

I'd avoid HF jack stands. They had two recalls for them involving them buckling under weight. I forget if they managed to kill someone, but the damning part was that you had the original recall, then another recall for the replacement jacks that were doing the same thing.

I buy as much cheap HF crap as the next guy, but if I'm trusting my life to something holding weight I'm not going to HF.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd avoid HF jack stands. They had two recalls for them involving them buckling under weight. I forget if they managed to kill someone, but the damning part was that you had the original recall, then another recall for the replacement jacks that were doing the same thing.

I buy as much cheap HF crap as the next guy, but if I'm trusting my life to something holding weight I'm not going to HF.

the re-re-redesign is quite nice, imo. the daytona ones. they seem to lock into place firmly, and they also have a safety pin that seems pretty beefy. they don't seem flimsy at all, and the pawl engagement seems good to me. i have two sets each of the 3T and 6T ones.

i was suspicious of them just like you, but they seem to have over-built these to make up for the previous failures. they might start cheaping out on them, or the molds/forms/dies might start wearing out over time, but for now they seem like a decent buy to me

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I asked about the HF ones in another thread and the universal answer was a deafening "they're fine"

Also they're rated 3 tons each and I think with four passengers and a full tank of gas it's barely 2600lbs, not going to be anywhere near their design limit

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I asked about the HF ones in another thread and the universal answer was a deafening "they're fine"

Also they're rated 3 tons each and I think with four passengers and a full tank of gas it's barely 2600lbs, not going to be anywhere near their design limit

well, one thing to keep in mind is that the rating printed on the stand is for the pair. so, one stand would be rated for 1.5 tons, or 3000lb, unless you're talking about the 6-ton rated pair. but you're also not putting the whole car's weight on one point, anyway.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not my car specifically, but some powerful photos of Traction Avant being used during WWII

And here's a color example to... Add some color to the photos above

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So apparently I have to fly out to NC towards the end of the month, might do the NC -> ATL -> NOLA leg then. If it's 4th of July weekend I might even shoot for driving to Houston or Austin

Here's a random photo of someone else's car in Morocco in April of this year

The last two were taken at 1800m (5900ft) apparently

Edit: 2650m (8900ft)

More edit: just stunning photos

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 7, 2023

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!
If you get bored of having a French car that looks French you can, alternatively, make it into a French car that looks American:

(1948 coachbuilt one, apparently)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Weirdly I ran across a bunch of these recently. I guess it is peak car show season right now

End of July trip got cancelled to go pick up the car but rescheduling

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I forgot to post this one I saw at a car show back in April.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

How's the car? Still in NC?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Car is presumably good. I actually got an email from the storage place yesterday. Apparently it's a really slimy company, 30 days after I was there they added a $10/mo mandatory insurance fee, and just yesterday they increased my rent by $10/mo to $140 so that's a total increase of 15% in three (?) months. Wild.

We got moved into the new place here in California and there's actually room in the garage now to park a car. I just got off the phone with my buddy he is interested in going at least to Houston with me in it. Wife has a trip out there end of August and again middle of September so good chance I'll tag along and do it then. Moving cross country has been exhausting, especially with a house full of stuff and toddler and all that. Moving to California the first time as a single person with a quarter as much furniture is a completely different experience.

Garage parking space currently has most of a rolling cyclekart chassis where the Citroen will live. I haven't unpacked the 7/16 drill bit needed for my rivnut stuff I'm using to attach the body to the chassis, which apparently went in a different box from all my other stuff edit: found it

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 1, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Driving to Houston in a car with no AC in august or september sounds like a swell idea

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Worked ok in North Carolina all last summer. The car is equipped with a very adequate ventilation system. No cars from that era even had an option for AC back then. You crack the windshield open (it tilts forward where it meets the hood) half an inch (it goes to like, 4" but that's like driving with no windshield, a quarter to three quarter inch is plenty) and there's a smaller, retractable hood scoop that opens and pushes/circulates air around your legs. Both are pretty effective above 12mph it turns out. Probably still gonna duck into a Waffle House for a very long lunch from 2-4pm if it goes above 95F though.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Old cars had all sorts of vents on them, I remember a scoop right in front of the windshield on my dad's f600. Cars had crank outs and under dash vents but none of that helps after a certain temp.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hadlock posted:

Worked ok in North Carolina all last summer. The car is equipped with a very adequate ventilation system. No cars from that era even had an option for AC back then. You crack the windshield open (it tilts forward where it meets the hood) half an inch (it goes to like, 4" but that's like driving with no windshield, a quarter to three quarter inch is plenty) and there's a smaller, retractable hood scoop that opens and pushes/circulates air around your legs. Both are pretty effective above 12mph it turns out. Probably still gonna duck into a Waffle House for a very long lunch from 2-4pm if it goes above 95F though.

Hadlock posted:

So apparently I have to fly out to NC towards the end of the month, might do the NC -> ATL -> NOLA leg then. If it's 4th of July weekend I might even shoot for driving to Houston or Austin

The last two were taken at 1800m (5900ft) apparently

Edit: 2650m (8900ft)

you gonna let the morocco car show you up?

gotta take your citroen to burning man or death valley, methinks

just drive at night, it's fine. I believe in you

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

brb, starting a Go Fund Me for €620 so I can put a 1956 Type R badge on my 1955 car :circlefap:

https://www.monacotimbres.com/en/medals-of-monaco/3718-monaco-1956-plaque-xxvie-rallye-monte-carlo.html

Ok Comboomer posted:

you gonna let the morocco car show you up?

gotta take your citroen to burning man or death valley, methinks

ok, fine

Ok Comboomer posted:

just drive at night, it's fine. I believe in you

the last quarter of my drive from DC was after dark with one taillight and one headlight and I didn't die, checks out :hmmyes:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 2, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The thing is, in addition to being hot as balls and humid as balls, Houston has the additional disadvantage of being Houston.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hey :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

He's not wrong. :colbert:

Hadlock posted:

Probably still gonna duck into a Waffle House for a very long lunch from 2-4pm if it goes above 95F though.

It hasn't been getting below 95 until 10pm or later, hits it around noon. At least in Austin. Houston has the extra humidity to make it extra sweaty. Won't really be much cooler by then.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Got a notification from the storage place that they'll be closed for the duration of the hurricane. Which... yay?

Should probably go pick the car up soon

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Oh poo poo! Is she moored in any potential path?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it's in the general path of the storm but the hurricane needs to travel overland through like three states before it gets to my car it'll probably be fine. Wind speed drops significantly as it goes over land. Also the storage unit is near the interstate, which in this case the interstate runs along a ridge that generally doesn't flood and even then it's got 9-10 inches of ground clearance

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So sometime last week I extended my car storage contact through November. Been busy here at the house and my wife's work schedule is only going to accelerate through early December. There's an extremely narrow chance in October but unlikely

Hadlock posted:

Apparently they've released the first two (of 4) episodes of their trip on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3M7pXhgIGo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It might be cheaper to just ship the car at this point, honestly.