Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Holy poo poo that’s awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Next order of business should be to put a gun rack in the rear window and get yourself a MAS 36 for it. :getin:

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 25, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gently caress yes get the hood ornament.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Have you driven cross-country before? I've done it a few times, and it really, REALLY highlights every tiny thing you dislike or find uncomfortable about your car. For example, having good seats and good ergos is non-negotiable. I also highly recommend having someone with you. It's doable solo, but having a second person to trade off with or even just talk to helps a LOT. I imagine it would also make repairs easier in your case. Also I assume you're a fellow old fart like me? The last time I hosed around with cross-country driving I was in my early 30s, and my take then was "holy gently caress this was easier in my 20s." No loving way my 40-something rear end is doing that any more.

I'd really, really recommend just hiring a hauler to get it where it needs to get.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

the out of context subtitles are pretty great

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Looks like in one of the screen caps there is a website, which looks... exactly how you'd imagine the owner of this car's website to look like

https://msdr21.skyrock.com/

Wow you weren’t kidding.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Have you considered doing EFI and ignition? Not suggesting that you should do it, but I've seen people with old cars do it to make their lives easier as a daily.

I haven't owned a carbed car myself, but my dad did, and it was often a challenge if it was too hot, or too cold, or the gas was slightly different, or the planets didn't align quite right.

Oh that's really cool! I'm curious if things are just different in the Congo or it's just 15 years later. But I was in The Gambia in November and all the major roads are paved and in decent condition, so you'd have to go out of your way to find yourself on roads like this.

I've got a friend who did six months of archival research in Kinshasa and another couple up the river in the interior (some old colonial records repository) and he said it was pretty rough even by central African standards. Now, this was ~2012 so maybe it's improved drastically in the last decade, but back then it was notably under developed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ooh la la

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'd be tempted to just to troll a modern citroen dealership by calling them for parts referencing that serial number and engine number, like the helpful tag tells me to.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

assuming you're in NA: what modern citroen dealership?

I thought they came back to the US market in really small numbers ten years ago? Limited markets etc. Or did that never happen/close down?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

They came to the US in small numbers in the 60s and 70s. They left the market in 1973.

Could have sworn I remembered something around 2012-ish (it's linked with the campaign for Obama's second term in my head for some reason) about them coming back to the US. Guess it never happened or fizzled, my bad.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

My suggestion would be to budget an extra two days or so for bullshit, be it breakdowns or bad weather or just wanting to spend more time somewhere. Getting to your destination a little early isn’t a big deal, but is sucks explaining to your boss/wife/etc why you’re standing in a gas station in Santa Fe rather than working/helping kids unpack/etx.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hadlock posted:

The movers took my jack stands with me so I'll have to grab another pair on my way out of town at harbor freight

I'd avoid HF jack stands. They had two recalls for them involving them buckling under weight. I forget if they managed to kill someone, but the damning part was that you had the original recall, then another recall for the replacement jacks that were doing the same thing.

I buy as much cheap HF crap as the next guy, but if I'm trusting my life to something holding weight I'm not going to HF.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So what are you planning to do with it?

Also have to admit I'm kinda cringing at pulling the original engine in a 80 year old car to drop something else in it. Glad you got a cheap engine, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

joat mon posted:

You, of all people... He's going to stretch the nose of the TA a couple feet, drop in the 8, and create the Traction Avant 'Cyrano.'

lmao.

:love: