Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

azzurro posted:

- check the needle valve, maybe some crud or wear stopping it sealing properly

do those have a rubber tip on the needle? is it original? if so, it could have been eaten by modern gas

if not, could still be crud in there from other fuel system rubber, if those haven't been updated as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BalloonFish posted:

Think about what the auto advance systems on a normal car's distributor do - you have the centrifugal weights which advance the timing as engine speed rises, and the vacuum advance which advances it further as engine load increases. So you generally want to keep the advance as retarded as possible that's consistent with smooth running and good power delivery, and then advance it a little at higher speeds, and be prepared to wind it further advanced if the engine stumbles when you accelerate hard.

one minor correction - vacuum advance advances the timing further under light load. as engine load increases, e.g. when transitioning from cruising to passing or going up a hill, the timing is pulled back to prevent preignition. it's for fuel economy, not power.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
driving across continents is like this car's whole thing though

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd avoid HF jack stands. They had two recalls for them involving them buckling under weight. I forget if they managed to kill someone, but the damning part was that you had the original recall, then another recall for the replacement jacks that were doing the same thing.

I buy as much cheap HF crap as the next guy, but if I'm trusting my life to something holding weight I'm not going to HF.

the re-re-redesign is quite nice, imo. the daytona ones. they seem to lock into place firmly, and they also have a safety pin that seems pretty beefy. they don't seem flimsy at all, and the pawl engagement seems good to me. i have two sets each of the 3T and 6T ones.

i was suspicious of them just like you, but they seem to have over-built these to make up for the previous failures. they might start cheaping out on them, or the molds/forms/dies might start wearing out over time, but for now they seem like a decent buy to me

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I asked about the HF ones in another thread and the universal answer was a deafening "they're fine"

Also they're rated 3 tons each and I think with four passengers and a full tank of gas it's barely 2600lbs, not going to be anywhere near their design limit

well, one thing to keep in mind is that the rating printed on the stand is for the pair. so, one stand would be rated for 1.5 tons, or 3000lb, unless you're talking about the 6-ton rated pair. but you're also not putting the whole car's weight on one point, anyway.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hadlock posted:

True Citroen spirit would be to attach it to a transaxle and stick it in the trunk, ala 2CV Safari style :colbert:

if it's connected to a rear transaxle, but sticks forward through the entire passenger compartment and into the hood area, maybe it will stop before it gets to the grille?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
that's the first time i have heard of an inline engine with cylinder #1 at the firewall end. what would definitely trip me up, because i wouldn't even think to look it up first.