Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
You gotta get “BONJOUR” on the front and “AU REVOIR” or “A BIEN TOT” on the back, IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
J’AIMEDESSLUTS

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Turns out I took almost exactly 30 minutes of video, here is a link to the youtube (which is probably DRM/DMCA's to the moon with all the music in the background). It's 99% just driving through country roads, so if you have half an hour to kill this week maybe watch this, or something. Other than the first 15 seconds there's no narration. Buyer beware. Fake edit: ok, Sort of looks like youtube let me upload the video and forced me to auto-swap one song. Youtube has gotten really advanced. Looks like it might actually upload minus the one song. Made a lovely youtube card for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HWmUriO3LY

Here is a link to the video privately hosted, with tunes and no DCMA fuckery. I think you have to download it, otherwise chrome just treats it as an audio file:

https://hadlocks-bucket.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/citroen_traction_avant_dc_to_nc.mp4

Also I realized my trip was roughly the same plot as the lyrics to Wagon Wheel

Top moments:
4:05 summer time song, pretty much encapsulates the whole drive, if you watch nothing else this is the part to watch
17:45 long shot out the back window
20:44 interior shots of the dash, seats etc
21:41 wagon wheel

First 6 min involves cruising through some twisty stuff in SW maryland down 301

Real quick I think my route is

Alexandria VA
Waldorf MD
Port Royal VA
Tappahannock
Newport News
Suffolk VA
Winton NC
Greenville NC
Further south

At one point I ended up on "shortcut road" for what seemed like 30 miles. In retrospect that was super dangerous because a) my taillights predate modern retroreflector standards and even if they didn't, are tiny tiny dots b) there's no shoulder to pull off on to, it just dumps directly into swamp and c) no gas or services of any kind

there’s probably no song that I find more viscerally repellent than Wagon Wheel, might actually rather listen to nails on a chalkboard or the most alienating noise music than that song

anyway that’s a kick-rear end video, well done

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

First daycare pickup was a success. Toddler's first time with the wind blowing in her face but she adjusted pretty quickly.

Coming up on the 1000 mile mark, making preparations for Operation Nipple Clamp

gotta add the ironic “Student Driver” tag for maximum car douchebag points

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Also apparently the 3 gallons of gas I put in a month ago was not enough, ran out of fuel driving home but managed to coast into the only ethanol free gas station in town, had to push it the last six feet or so

sounds like a French car

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Wife wanted sushi, drove the family downtown

Been driving the car about twice a week, this week drove the kiddo to daycare and back three times. The car feels like it really wants to GO but it's being held back. A carb rebuild kit and bottle of carb cleaner might be in my future? Dunno last time I owned a carbureted car was an f-350 and I was 16 and my dad did all the maintenance on it

that plate really should say « ZUT ALORS »

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

How's the timing? if it's retarded, it'll feel that way.

Sometimes, running it a little advanced (no knock) helps zip it up some, too.

I’ll have you know, I love my retarded French car and I think it’s perfect just the way it is

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Just to clarify, that's a car seat in the rear window, is a "functional" baby on board sign, as that's pretty much the only thing this car is used for

yeah I know I’m sorry, I must’ve been extra weed + distracted because I can’t remember posting that and I don’t rly like it in hindsight. Kind of a lovely comment, IDK why.

anyway how does the hadspawn like the ancient car? does the baby appreciably notice the difference between it and anything newer or contemporary?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

(i.e. fully retarded).

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Worked ok in North Carolina all last summer. The car is equipped with a very adequate ventilation system. No cars from that era even had an option for AC back then. You crack the windshield open (it tilts forward where it meets the hood) half an inch (it goes to like, 4" but that's like driving with no windshield, a quarter to three quarter inch is plenty) and there's a smaller, retractable hood scoop that opens and pushes/circulates air around your legs. Both are pretty effective above 12mph it turns out. Probably still gonna duck into a Waffle House for a very long lunch from 2-4pm if it goes above 95F though.

Hadlock posted:

So apparently I have to fly out to NC towards the end of the month, might do the NC -> ATL -> NOLA leg then. If it's 4th of July weekend I might even shoot for driving to Houston or Austin

Here's a random photo of someone else's car in Morocco in April of this year

The last two were taken at 1800m (5900ft) apparently

Edit: 2650m (8900ft)

More edit: just stunning photos

you gonna let the morocco car show you up?

gotta take your citroen to burning man or death valley, methinks

just drive at night, it's fine. I believe in you