Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

Valve timing is really the first thing you should do for a tune-up. They tighten up with use, and this can cause them to open early & the engine isn't smooth (I'm facing this same issue with the I6 in my Econoline - even though it has hydraulic lifters, the valves are adjustable, and I think they're tight - it runs in an oddly rough way).

After valve adjustment is the ignition timing. Only after these two are done should the idle mixture be adjusted.

drat that is the most goddamned photogenic car.

Just caught up and ya, my brain has been shouting “IGNITION” at me for three pages. Check the heat range on the plugs, gap them to spec, check the timing, and then check the spark advance. In that order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU