Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I'm mostly amused that my car doesn't have leather interior, but part of my suspension is made from leather

I am reminded of the AI poster with a little old Nissan who found out the body mounts for his car were made partly of horse hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Found this tonight. I guess it's about an hour, walks through the back half of a circumnavigation of the earth in two traction Avant for... Probably a magazine called "VCB" out of Paris, looks like very late 80s very very early 90s I spot an electric canon typewriter + some JCV VHS tapes

Some notable points, near the beginning getting towed out of a marshy swampy area with an elephant in what I'm guessing is Thailand, and I guess they run into some guy in what looks like Nigeria or Morocco with an impressive antique Mercedes collection near the 40 minutes mark. Also at some point they pick through a Traction Avant junk yard in Chile. I don't speak a lick of French but still a good video. They do race a train and swerve out of the way of an elephant at the last second too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAIigBRcG_I

Item #52 on the list:

Mark the location of all elephants along your route.

On a more serious note, find out if there are any blackholes in cellphone service along the way. Despite having the AAA 200 mile tow service and calling it it, they dropped the first callout because they could not reach us again via cell to confirm location with the tow driver. This in a fairly well trafficked national forest, not even 30min away from the nearest town. What should have taken 2 hours took 4, and only that little time because of some good Samaritans willing to drive up and down the road to find signal.

e: come to think of it, have dedicated check-in call times before and after long stretches. It couldn't hurt. Communication is key.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 19, 2023

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

joat mon posted:

You should bring a couple Mennonites, just in case.

Furthering my father's idea that since you can't throw a stone in any direction in this world without hitting a German, you may as well bring a German with you on any long trip. Just in case.

Which idea is kinda-sorta why I exist at all.