Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Grease-gun grease & engine oil dripped through tiny caps?

Ayuh, that 1930s tech for you.

If you don't already have one, invest in a pump-style oil can. A lot less messy & better control when topping up your cups.

It looks to be in great shape! I vote drive it home from DC.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hadlock posted:

Car delivery guy called. He will be ready for drop off in DC 9am Sunday, approximately 8 days early

1) it's about an 8 hour drive home from DC to my house at Citroen speeds, assuming absolutely 0 issues on an unproven, 70 year old car
2) wife scheduled her international business trip to leave our home town about noon on Sunday, around the delivery of car happening next weekend or later
3) I'm responsible for our toddler who requires a car seat while she's out of town
4) even if I were to hop on a plane with the toddler and car seat, I don't have the aftermarket seat belt to install
5) driver requires cash on delivery

Going to see if I can fly to DC with the toddler, park it in my buddy's garage for a week, then fly back same day, then fly back the following Saturday and drive it home? Maybe?

First thing you should do is get back to the shipper and explain that you can't be there until (at least) your wife gets back from her business trip to watch your kid.

U-haul pickup + U-hail car trailer? Try to keep the kid entertained for sixteen hours?...uh...how about a babysitter...?

Where was he going to drop it in DC? Usually, it's some type of enclosed (fenced) shipping facility. I doubt he can just keep it on the truck, these guys make no money just sitting.

Do you have to be there to pay? Usually they want you to inspect & then sign off on it. If it doesn't have to be you...could your DC friend pick it up & sign off on it, then put it in his garage? That way you just need to send him the $$...assuming he can drive a manual

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 3, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ja platinum AAA is the poo poo.

drat that TA looks extremely solid and very clean. Congratulations on a pro score!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Go go go, baby! And take lots of photos/video!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

:krakentoot:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What great pictures.

She looks amazing, too.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Y E S!

OK, the headlight & taillight being out may be some mild corrosion at the plug contacts. A few light strokes with steel wool & some alcohol should help the contacts on the headlight & the body of the bulb. You can use electronics contact cleaner & then some contact paste to promote contact & prevent corrosion.

A rear bulb out can drop voltage enough so that the blinker relay can't >blink< so try that first.

Did it consume a quart on the trip home, or was it a bit low at the start?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What a beautiful suite of photos! Looks like a goddamn calendar for May.

Say what you will about French automakers, but drat if they didn't produce some gorgeous designs and, hands down, the most comfortable seats in any car.

The only concern I have about overfilling the crankcase oil is that the crank counterweights will thrash the oil into a foam, and if that gets sucked into the oil pump, unwelcome excitement follows.

A moot point since you made it home.

If it doesn't have one, may I suggest installation of an electronic oil pressure gauge. Every car I owned got coolant & oil pressure gauges if they weren't already so equipped.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hadlock posted:

My schedule is all hosed up because of a project, and I live near a beach, please enjoy:

:swoon:

If you’re anywhere near as accomplished a mechanic that you clearly are as a photographer, this will be nothing but a joy.

Also: jelly that you have a lift

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have at least one Learner's "L" on a blue field somewhere. Maybe more than one...a sticker & a magnet.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's France, the equivalent is a red A on a white background.

Maybe now it is. When I lived there, it was a white "L" on a blue field.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hadlock posted:

Boring work log incoming:

Giant box of parts arrived. Mostly lightbulbs, festoon bulbs etc.

Pulled apart all the lights. They are just plastic shells held on by a single screw in the center, and some kind of rubber "gasket" to keep the worst of the wet out. Extremely simple. Turns out (pun not intended) most of the bulbs were festoons with corrosion problems with the contact areas. Rotating them slightly brought them back to life. So now I have running lights and brake lights again! Hooray!

Replaced the headlights. ...
You may want to clean all of those contacts with a small wire brush or file, then swab on some die-electric / anti-corrosion grease for long-term corrosion protection.

Mazda is a brand & type, made & sold in the US as well, up into the 1920s. Other brands you may see are Osram and Philips.

Hadlock posted:

Position light wasn't lighting up for some reason. These are itty bitty little red lumps of translucent plastic about the size of a dice, with a giant festoon bulb behind it. The festoon bulb shines upwards through a 1/4" hole in a copper clip, and also shines forward through a small slit in the forward reflector. I guess these are supposed to be your parking lights, or whatever. You would have trouble seeing these from more than about 30 feet away, especially at anything over 15mph.
The world was a much darker place in the 1930s, especially in Europe (politics notwithstanding).

Hadlock posted:

I think lighting was pretty grim up until the late 90s/early 2000s when LED finally became usable so safety lighting was mostly an afterthought as incandecent bulbs are pretty thirsty.

As an old fart, I take offense. :v: Lighting was just fine, the factory lighting in my '65 Ford & '66 Pontiac are more than adequate; but what you say is true, up into the early 1960s, and especially in Europe, which did not have much in the way of high-speed roads. The Eisenhower Transportation System development of the interstates in the US propelled US carmakers to incorporate advancements in lighting, horsepower, and braking, as cars were previously built to handle poorly-graded & lit local roads with limited straightaways & questionable grading/paving.

And yeah, you may need to build or acquire a gasket/gasketing material for those position lamps on top of your headlight buckets.

Hadlock posted:

The blinkers use a different style of bulb mount. Looks like the collar of the bulb connects to the chassis (ground) and the screw + spring connects to the pin... but also connects to the chassis? On closer inspection, looks like there might be a piece of wool acting as an insulator, with that square.... rivet head thing, passing the connection through. This is the first design choice I've run across that seems ill advised, I'll have to find a diagram and figure out what the hell is going on here, on the front fender blinkers at least, that square rivet is threaded on the other side that connects to a power cable. For the rear blinkers, that piece is probably hidden behind some upholstery at eye level when you're sitting down. The interior upholstery has all been replaced pretty recently so I'm loathe to start taking that apart if I can avoid it.
If it's working, I wouldn't mess with it.

Hadlock posted:

The exhaust manifold has a white, powdery finish to it? Not sure if this is... ash? From the Exhaust? or what.
Appears to be high-temp exhaust manifold paint. It won't have a significant ablative effect; a wrap would work better, should vapor lock continue to be an issue. Beefing up the heat shield with an insulating material may help.

Hadlock posted:

Also of note is the mystery inspection port in the bottom left, it has an odd shape to it, curious what's in there.
Guessing that the top of the transmission is under there

Hadlock posted:

Engine and chassis tags. On the left of the engine tag is a patented engine mount that andre citroen bought a licence to from.... plymouth? it I think is called an "engine isolator" and does a fantastic job of preventing engine vibration from entering the cabin. When people talk about this being the birth of the modern family car they're not joking, riding in this vs a model A is night and day, which is amazing considering they were only designed about five years apart.
The 'floating power' system was a Chrysler innovation, and Citroen did use the system for these cars under license.

Hadlock posted:

Oh yeah this was interesting. Mine are badly UV-degraded, I guess they're also position lights. Apparently the positive end of the bulb is a screw, and it just has spring clips that double as negative ground :shrug: The old bulbs use a ~M5 or M6 bolt, and my replacement bulbs use a blade, so uh, not sure what to do here. What's left of the (probably original) wiring loom doesn't have enough cable left to splice on a blade clip, so either I bolt a blade clip to the existing cable, or.... solder a (the?) bolt to the blade.
If there is absolutely no way to get to the end of the wire to cut it & install a flag connector: I would take a lug, a female flag connector, a short run of wire, & a large piece of shrink-type insulation tube & make an adapter; use the shortest fastener that you can find (nut, bolt, lockwasher) and connect the two lugs together, slather them with anti-corrosion jelly, and shrink-wrap the whole thing, leaving an extension with the female flag exposed for the new fixture.

Hadlock posted:

Very interesting light patterns O.o && -- . _

https://i.imgur.com/sBBfCW2.mp4

Near the end you can see me pointing out the tiny tiny tiny red position indicators at the top of the light ...pods. The headlights are roughly in line with the wall, no idea why they look so different. Going to pretend I didn't see that and lalala I can't hear you
Your headlights are out of adjustment. There have to be at least two screws, oriented 90-degrees for each other around the perimeter of the headlamp, that control up/down and left/right. Lower the garage door & use it as a reference. Take your newest car, park it as far away as you can from the garage door, and mark off on the garage door with painter's tape, where low and high beams are centered (they should be different). Tape or mark the driveway, pull the Citroen up, and adjust them to the marks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

How's the timing? if it's retarded, it'll feel that way.

Sometimes, running it a little advanced (no knock) helps zip it up some, too.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fifthing. You can always change it back.

It’d be great to get a spare, preferably a cheap knockoff, drill down at the eyes, and install red filament LEDs.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 16, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sorry if I missed the reason earlier, but why are you using 5w-30? It probably used a straight-weight oil (30?) when new; Consider using that, or 10w-30.

Also, check your oil pressure & see if it’s within spec

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Blow-by will show up at wherever the oil breather is, and/or at the oil fill cap. It's how I knew my 389 had to be rebuilt.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Looks fabulous in the long light. How's she running?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hadlock posted:

:doh:
Found out that by joining the UK traction avant club I get access to like 40 years of club magazines and their tech forums which ought to be useful...

Single greatest resource out there for us old-car guys are forums. Just a wellfont of great data.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I would work on the fuel-rich issue first (starting with the carb, float setting, and jets) before you do anything else; it makes it far easier to track down an issue by knocking them off one at a time.

If you must, clean the plugs but do not yet replace them, as the heat range may be an issue as well.

I assume that this has manual valve lifters; if so, add valve adjustment to your list, after carb and plugs; rockers tend to tighten over the years, and this can really restrict engine performance.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The below is copied verbatim from post at a Model A forum on the AACA website (https://forums.aaca.org/topic/189100-spark-advance/)
(italics mine):

Posted March 4, 2012

"If the car is timed right, when the engine is warm, it should idle with the spark lever all the way to the top or just below (i.e. fully retarded). Driving around town and at slow speeds probably 1/2 way down. All the way down should be for "pedal to the metal" driving! Basically, the faster then engine runs, the more spark advance you need. However, every car has had its timing set differently so you can't necessarily go by this. Basically, you need to drive the car and play with the timing and you'll find out the "spots" of advance where your car runs best under different circumstances. You may also want to play around with re-setting the timing if you do not feel you are getting the most out of your spark advance. A good rule of thumb is you should be able to smoothly increase the acceleration of the engine just by pulling down the spark lever (without increasing the gas at the same time). Hard to explain in words, but if you play with it enough, you'll figure it out!"

The only thing I would add is that at full advance, under hard acceleration, you should hear no pinging (valve tap - sounds like castanets). If you do, you will have to retard the timing at the distributor until it stops under those conditions.

On older cars, I would set it to spec, then advance the distributor timing until the valves start to tap, and then back it off a little. My first car - a '71 Toyota Corona MkII with the 8-RC engine - never ran right at spec, it had to be advanced 7-10-degrees.

Also: when starting: if it's giving difficulty catching at a retarded setting, the spark should be advanced & then pulled back once it starts.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 14, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hadlock posted:

As mentioned in my post, zero plans on driving this thing on the interstate, taking 45-55mph county/state roads, sorry if "no highways or tolls" was not clear. That was how I did the 420 mile trip from DC. Stayed far, far away from I-95, had no issues

I've done, not really counting, at least 5 2000+ mile trips, but yes it's been a while. Citroen was pretty comfortable doing 400 miles in a day earlier this year, which is (very roughly) the plan

Have you ever read Blue Highways by William Least-Heat Moon?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You can and should lube the parking brake cable at all friction/rub points. Use excess from your nippleganza lubin'

To remove those two screws on the carb throttle plate: if you do not have a blade screwdriver that fits snugly all the way to the base of the screw slot, get one. Then unscrew them with deliberate diligence, purpose, and care.

If possible, keep them for the next guy and replace them with hex cap screws. This will guarantee that you will nevr, ever, have to mess with it again.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Good goddamn, what excellent photos!

That last one is :perfect: and you should post it in the Cute thread

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That horn sounds exactly as French as I remember. My Mom's Renault 6TL horn sounded the same.

It does sound like a fuel delivery issue.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hadlock posted:

Also ran the compression, cyl 1-2-3-4 all measuring ~65psi which is... low, according to this guy he had 1 @ 65psi and 3 @ 90psi. He was able to resolve with a valve adjustment. Apparently valve adjustment also solves oil consumption on this head. So I guess I have that in my future too.

That may be low - but what is more important, is that they are withing 10-15% of each other. It's fine, so I wouldn't be overly concerned if your other methods don't raise it.

Hadlock posted:

The... Uh, ball joint... Seal, bag thing on the driver's side (bottom, and top, but mostly bottom) looks a little rough, especially compared to the passenger side. Inflated it about half full with grease. I've read some "internet wisdom" that you can blow out some seals if you overdo it.

The bag split. They tend to do that. The only permanent solution is to replace the ball joint, but in the meantime. lube it often to push accumulated dirt out. The ball joints on my '66 Pontiac do not have sealed bags, so grease itself acts as a seal - the lube interval is shorter to push in new grease to keep it clean.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 23, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You're right - it's not split. It may work like my Pontiac's though; you can try to clean the excess grease off of the joints using orange grease remover and a (softer, maybe brass) wire brush & once they're clean you can see where the grease is coming from.

On the driveshaft zerk: are you sure that it was actually taking grease?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Less power, sure, but you're not beating the crap out of the rotating assemblies. Having one or more cylinders way off from each other means a rebuild is imminent.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Valve timing is really the first thing you should do for a tune-up. They tighten up with use, and this can cause them to open early & the engine isn't smooth (I'm facing this same issue with the I6 in my Econoline - even though it has hydraulic lifters, the valves are adjustable, and I think they're tight - it runs in an oddly rough way).

After valve adjustment is the ignition timing. Only after these two are done should the idle mixture be adjusted.

drat that is the most goddamned photogenic car.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 8, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

OOOO! A Spring Special Econoline!

I want to know where they sourced that tonneau cover.

Took me a minute to notice the pickup next to THAT GORGEOUS CAR

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Consider ordering a magnetic red blinking light. Usually used for flat-towing cars, or for some trailers; but in a pinch, it should provide a measure of safety if the lighting, especially rear, goes weird.

A set of flares.

A couple cans of tire goop in pressurized cans. Tire shop folks will hate you, but they are a life-saver

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Oh poo poo! Is she moored in any potential path?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nah, you're good.

Nice mill, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The smaller-diameter valves are the exhaust valves. They're white due to their inherent higher temps at operation. The intake valves are larger, and are darker due to the cooling effect of the air/gas mixture coming through.

Number one cylinder is always at the front/pulley end of the block.

A decent thread:P https://forums.aaca.org/topic/390819-what-do-you-know-about-rebuilding-a-chrysler-flathead-straight-8/

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 4, 2024