Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

JustJeff88 posted:

Sorry, Purple, I didn't realise that that was a book reference. I just thought that you were being cheeky.

I'm glad that this game goes back to a more traditional use of Spell Points. I've never been fans of games where spells use health/stamina as it just feels like punishing the player for using its skills. Resource management is always a factor, but it shouldn't hamper the player in other areas. On another note, it looks this game is going to be another revolving door of party members. I'm probably in the minority here, but I get frustrated when a character leaves after joining. I'm boring like that.

There's some party swapping, but its way more chronotrigger than chronocross if that makes sense. There's only a very few more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
Man, this inspired me to boot this game up. Pro tip to anyone else having trouble, I had to disable Nvidia's game overlay for the game to launch, but otherwise it has been working fine so far. And I forgot how much I like this game. The random encounters are interesting, sometimes crazy overpowered with no real way to win aside from reloading over and over, sometimes pathetically easy. The magic items refuse to really tell you what they do, which can be obnoxious. You really can only judge them based on the price and vague description. The graphics are ugly and blocky. And yet it is all so charming in an odd way. It just feels like there is so much to find and explore, and the combat feels more interesting to me compared to BaK.

Just for reference, this game came out November 1998. Might and Magic 6 came out April 1998, with the other might and magic games coming out in '99 and '00. The other Sierra game to come out around this game was Quest for Glory 5, which came out December 1998. The game doesn't look great, but I am not sure it was all that bad for the time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Roxors posted:

Just for reference, this game came out November 1998. Might and Magic 6 came out April 1998, with the other might and magic games coming out in '99 and '00. The other Sierra game to come out around this game was Quest for Glory 5, which came out December 1998. The game doesn't look great, but I am not sure it was all that bad for the time.

In my opinion, RtK and QfG5 were normal for their time, it was more that MM6-8 were using a super outdated engine, presentation and, frankly, gameplay concept.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm already really enjoying your paraphrased summaries of things.

I'm also amused that you're encouraged to spend an hour or so loving around murdering random citizens for loot, that's so completely not fitting for the setting or the characters that it's funny.

And compared to similar 90s games the voice acting is actually pretty amazing, I've definitely heard far, far worse.

The one thing I am not enjoying is that font, jesus gently caress that is almost unreadable.

Also Jimmy and William have very similar headshots, one of them needs to change shirt or something if they're going to insist on almost identical hairstyles. Especially since canonically William is half-totally-not-Japanese and really shouldn't look like a white Midwest high school jock.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Guildenstern Mother posted:

There's some party swapping, but its way more chronotrigger than chronocross if that makes sense. There's only a very few more.

I will probably be burned as an apostate here, but I've never played either of those games.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

JustJeff88 posted:

I will probably be burned as an apostate here, but I've never played either of those games.

Why would you get burned for not having played either a 2009 DS game or one that releases next month?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

To clarify the reference:

Both games have a max party size of three characters at any time. In Chrono Trigger, the silent protagonist only has 6 allies to choose from. So even though the game forces switches every now and then, the cast is still small enough that everybody gets plenty of time to shine, they have clearly defined uses in the party, and actual personalities. It never feels bad when you lose a character, because the next one is just as developed and entertaining.

In Chrono Cross, the silent protagonist has over 40 (!) allies who can support your main character, so everybody feels generic as hell and nobody really fits into the story. In fact, the characters don't even have truly unique lines, there's an "accent generator" where they pre-define a verbal tic for each character, then the accent generator can take a generic text string ("yes, let's fight this monster!") and generate text for the 40 different characters automatically. It's a pretty incredible achievement for a 1999 PSX game but also pretty telling as to how bland the characters are.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Also whoever fit Poshul into the accent generator deserves to be shot. Motherfucker.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Hel posted:

Why would you get burned for not having played either a 2009 DS game or one that releases next month?

Unless I am woefully mistaken, Chrono Trigger was on the SNES and Cross on the PS1. They are both regarded widely as classics, but I have never played either.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Unless I am woefully mistaken, Chrono Trigger was on the SNES and Cross on the PS1. They are both regarded widely as classics, but I have never played either.

Chrono Cross is a classic videogame in the same sense that the Battles of the Isonzo are historical battles, that is to say people largely know about it because of what an absurd failure it was on every level.

It did let you recruit a clown skeleton, though, which ruled. The one good thing about that game.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

JustJeff88 posted:

It's a joke about how both of them originally only released in Japan and the US, and for most of the world the first release of Trigger was on the DS and the upcoming release of Cross is really the first real way to play it.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Black Robe posted:

Also Jimmy and William have very similar headshots, one of them needs to change shirt or something if they're going to insist on almost identical hairstyles. Especially since canonically William is half-totally-not-Japanese and really shouldn't look like a white Midwest high school jock.

William's actually not half-Tsurani - he's half-Thuril (who, incidentally, barely ever show up besides Katala, except for, I believe, one of the Mara novels where she goes off to hunt for a Cho-ja hive that isn't subject to the Empire, and thus is free to have mages).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

For the next update I hope you guys watch the videos, there's some janky animation at points.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
After playing for a while, I did discover that the game tells you when you can change camera angles. The little box to the right of the Krondor at the lower left corner of the screen will have an eyeball in it. This will be very important in some rooms where the camera angle is your greatest enemy.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

If you can figure out how to change the default font, not only will it preserve your own sanity, but also my poor old man eyes.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
I figured I'd try to play along with the LP, but I'm using PCem emulating a Voodoo2 and the font looks far better. Assuming the LP is using the GOG release, there might be global graphics settings, like sharpening or anti-aliasing, that is interfering with the font rendering.

raifield fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 28, 2022

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I actually went ahead and used the Steam release instead, because without flicking around some compatability settings, the GOG release turns into crusty glitch art, with a lot of menu borders and such turning into white-purple-cyan poo poo reminiscent of a Cruelty Squad texture.

On the bright side, there's comparatively little text that actually needs to be, or can be, read, since it's all voiced without subtitles, those loving hacks, and as aforementioned there are practically no item descriptions that are worth reading or which actually tell you a drat about what precisely an item does.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

Chrono Cross is a classic videogame in the same sense that the Battles of the Isonzo are historical battles, that is to say people largely know about it because of what an absurd failure it was on every level.

It did let you recruit a clown skeleton, though, which ruled. The one good thing about that game.

Hey I'll have you know that the final battle of Soča was a marvelous display of extremely effective combined arms tactics and also featured Erwin Rommel. As for the rest, well, uh. When the Italians arrived at Krn/Kobarid there were literally no defenders further north basically all the way to the modern Austrian border. So they decided it's a trap and waited until the Austro-Hungarian army arrived, baffled, to defend the now-frontline. This later proved as one of the better strategic decisions of the Italian army leadership :D

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Also Chrono Cross' soundtrack is amazing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Update 3: A Yellow Streak

Since we're resuming, I want to point out something confusing about the main menu. Rather than having a "load game" option, each "profile" you make is one of these background books, which then contain their own sub-section of saves. The first time I resumed here I was a bit confused until I figured it out, pondering for a couple of seconds where the hell the option to load a game was.

-why would a beggar even be carrying something like that?
Right? This is the sort of thing you find half of in a codeworded chest in the bottom of a cave full of ghosts.
Gentlemen?
Oh, right. Ahem, James! Jazhara! We have to hurry and catch the bastards who hurt Talia!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXfZOCU7SY0

As soon as we leave the Rainbow Parrot inn, we get a brief explosion animation and then we run right into some guards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFkF_0qd5kc

Short version:

What happened here?
:hist101: Some rear end in a top hat hit the jail with naphtha and then charged in hacking everyone up!
Who breaks into a jail?
I should probably be excited about dead cops, but since I work for the Prince now it seems gauche.
:hist101: Thank you for the consideration. rear end. Now, how about you solve this problem?
Oh, sure, we'll just charge in through the shower of arrows and cut them down, right?
:hist101: ...

You can't be serious.
:hist101: You should probably leave the lady here, she seems like a fragile thing.
I can handle myself, thank you.
:hist101: Suit yourself.
Alright, let's go, this'll be easy.

Now, you might also be noticing that for some reason William here is wearing the fabled Piss Mail. I have no idea why they decided that the Viox Chain Mail should be this bright lemon/urine colour rather than the pale white colour it has in his inventory. But it's funny and at least it makes him easy to spot in screenshots. :v:

Anyway, let's mosey. Note the overturned cart the guards are using as cover from the arrows. We could run past that and eat a bunch of arrows to the face, like morons. We could also keep going down the road.

Where we come to the hole in the back of the jail that our large, unseen antagonist created.

See, I told you, you just have to be smarter than a cop.

In the game, the jail is four rooms and some cells, in the book it's a somewhat bigger deal since it's a major guard HQ and Bear blew two holes in it. One to blow up all the guards on downtime in the mess, and then another charge set to blow up all the ones running to the explosion, leaving an at least double-digit body count and shaking up the city's guard complement for a while.

I'm also a bit glad that Anita and Arutha are left to do their in-book stuff in between the cutscenes, because while Feist isn't exactly a legendary feminist author, his presentation of Princess Anita in these three books is as a really kind of vapid generic woman. Like all she cares about is CLOTHES and SHOPPING and PLANTS and FASHION. James rolls his eyes several times while going "gosh women going SHOPPING is so WEIRD and SILLY" and "wow Princess Anita keeps changing the guard uniforms because FASHION. lol."

Bonk.

Clonk.

Rah Tilt!

Turns out Firelance does pretty solid damage when you want something to be dead real fast! As far as I can tell the only types of damage beyond "physical bonkery" are "fire" and "lightning," but through the entire game I can think of all of two situations where there might be elemental resistances in play.

Flames conveniently sprout up to prevent our escape as we finish the enemies off.

I'm clearing out the ground floor first and leaving the first floor for last.

Two-handed enemy weapons(staves excepted) are generally the most threatening things you can come up with, outside of random encounters where someone just happens to be hauling around a rune-covered artifact bullshit weapon, and thus always useful to prioritize.

Scoring a Flurry on the first round lets William drop two enemies and I start feeling like hot business. Then the fat rear end in a top hat in the background gets to act.

...is that a molotov cocktail?
You're not going to throw that at me.
:yarr: I be.

Jesus! Enemies tossing fire oil can be really loving dangerous. Jazhara ends up picking like 20 of them off enemies' corpses during this update, and I resolve to make more use of them in the future, because I am very bad with hoarding consumables, but I know perfectly well I can't be relied upon to do that and will forget to do so.

Between William's sword and Jazhara casting Mindblade, which I assume implodes some important part of the target's brain, he gets his just desserts.

I kind of miss enemies in the Betrayals retreating when they got their asses beat. It made them feel a bit more believable as opponents that they didn't want any more of our bullshit after we skewered five of their buddies and set their face on fire.

:hist101: Thank you, Squire, you've cleared out most of the jail.
...and now you're not going to help us clear out the rest of it.
:hist101: I knew you Squires were clever! We'll be sitting here until you've done all the work.

I guess we'll sort out the top floor next. :v:

Oh, someone who isn't trying to kill us right away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlTP-71Mfnw

Short version:

What happened here?
:eng101: I don't know anything! I'm very innocent!
Right, and...?
:eng101: I'm going to sit in the corner until you make all the bad men go away!

We won't get anything out of this guy until we kill another couple of mercenaries in the adjoining room.

Nothing exciting about it, now let's shake him down for information again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJGaR1yHhBQ

Now will you talk? What do you even do here?
:eng101: I'm the pillar of intellect that makes the jail work at all, yet also just a mere clerk, please don't pay attention to me.
All we want to know is who's responsible.
:eng101: I think one of the men you hacked in half is a bosun for the pirate Sullen Michael. You should go attack him without warning or mercy!

This clerk is, of course, absolutely pulling our leg. I could swear there was a way to stab him right away and rummage through his desk to accelerate the next section of game, and the strategy guide even says there is, but I just found him to be in a conversation loop, myself. So we're doing this the long way.

Off to the basement, next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gqIc49lyXI

Short version:

Stay calm! Stay calm! STAY CALM I TOLD YOU! AAAAAA!
Sounds like there's a calm fellow to interrogate down here.

Did you see what happened?
See it? I was close enough to get soaked like the front row at a Gallagher show!
Please, sir, the fourth wall.
Oh, right. Well the guy in the cell over there was Knute. A pirate. He was bragging about how he was safe, untouchable by law or violence... and then the jail got attacked.

...I feel like he was wrong about being untouchable.
Just a tad. This big fella comes down the stairs, insist Knute tell him where "It" is, and then when Knute didn't own up, he started stabbing him like a madman!
I'll say, either Knute got picked up on a streaking charge or "the big guy" practically stabbed him naked.

I'm seriously baffled by the art chosen for Knute's corpse, yeah, it looks... dead, but it looks either like a flayed animal or like someone who died naked and has been dead for weeks. :v:

Aside from the size of the damage and the amount of fighting, this sequence is much like it was in the book, with the exception that in the book, James knew the poor fella in the cell here and sets him free so he doesn't have to sit next to a rotting corpse for the next few hours while the surviving guards clean up.

We're not likely to learn anything from him any longer.
I guess we're off to have words with Sullen Michael next, though something about it feels off... oh and I suppose we should let the guards know we did their job for them.

:hist101: Thanks for the help! I don't suppose you'll stick around to clean up the debris, too?
I'm here exactly as long as it takes to set the flag and then we're off.
:hist101: Did you hear that? Around the back!
There's our cue.

We get just a brief glimpse of a big, bald guy who looks suspiciously like one of the men from the intro as the screen fades in, but by the time it's fully loaded, he's practically off the side of it already. Let's give chase!

The pursuit takes us out of the Rainbow Parrot district, where the jail is, and into the North Gate district.

Don't tell us we missed him!
:hist101: Big bastard and his mercenaries hacked their way past us! We've got almost a dozen men wounded!
Only wounded? You're better off than the ones at the jail, what happened?
:hist101: Well, Squire, I hate to tell you, but he distracted us by setting fire to the orphanage!
:hist101: You know, the Shield of Dala orphanage? The one that all the homeless kids get sent to?
Um.
:hist101: Where they're told they'll be perfectly safe, and fed, and warm?
Oh for Pete's sake.

I told you the orphan thing would be funny. :v: For a given value of funny. I'm laughing, anyway, and that's what counts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH1HmwkDIs4

Short version:

I'm too big to fit in there.
I'm too slow to save all the kids.
And I'm too flammable.
Oh, I can solve that, I'll make you (mostly) resistant to fire.
...did she just mumble "mostly"?
Must be your imagination, Squire.

This bit has a soft time limit, as James explores the building, more and more flames pop up, and while the ambient heat doesn't hurt him, touching the actual fire will. You can still use healing potions, though, and likely have a decent stock of them at this point.

The main challenge is that the kids aren't perfectly outlined and also that you can't interact with them until you're practically standing on top of them and also in the perfect position.

...something's not right about that one.

The flames don't do massive damage but only need a pixel of contact to do it, and that's still about 1/8th of James' health bar per touch. It largely goes swimmingly, until I get to the last kid(of seven).

I could not for the life of me manage to interact with him, I thought the game was bugged for a while, until I found that in addition to needing to be close and in the right position, there was barely a pixel of the kid that was actually an interactible object.

What sort of absolute rear end in a top hat sets fire to an orphanage as a distraction?
Our only lead so far is this Sullen Michael, thankfully there's a designated villain's tavern in Krondor where all the real pieces of work end up.

Along the way I knock over a few more beggars and pick this little unusual number off their bodies.

When read, it gives a +5 to a random spell path, which ended up giving Jazhara a free +5 to Storms. I suppose the pro move would be to hoard any of these you find until she's at the 75 mark where upgrades start getting really expensive, for each path, and then blow through them all.

We're off to Ye Bitten Dog. One thing that's interesting about this quarter is that it appears to loop infinitely through any number of back alleys full of doors if you just want to do a lot of grinding rapidly. It's not particularly necessary since most quarters(Wealthy, Sea Gate and Palace excepted) have plenty of doors to poke at and changing camera angle a few times seems to reroll any rooms you've already been in.

One of the unmarked doors here also contains a store and I loving hate the stores in Return.

Firstly, equipped gear is in the general "you can sell this"-pile with everything else, with no marker or warning if you're about to accidentally sell the shirts off your characters' backs, and they're two or three times as expensive buying them back, which might thus not always be viable.

Secondly, having so many more low-value items makes the dragging and dumping so much more time-consuming and increases the chance of getting into a rhythm where you sell an artifact sword by accident.

Lastly, the stores just... don't really sell anything worthwhile. You get better stuff by murdering homeless people for the most part, in terms of buying things, so really their only use is stocking you up on healing potions and spell point potions, but I think just from all the corpse-looting I've done so far, I probably won't ever need to buy any healing potions.

As we step up to Ye Bitten Dog, a trio of Bear's mercs show up to get themselves killed.

It features the first time I have a spell fail during this playthrough. It's not an exciting experience, you just waste the spell points and Jazhara accidentally drops her spell on the ground.

Nice job, William, they saw us coming because of your Urine Armor.
You gave me this!
Sure, but you accepted it.

Welcome to the Bitten Dog. The two fancy lads near the door are extremely obviously Nighthawks, because of course we've got Nighthawks, but we can't point out their super-obvious jewelry and murder them. Instead, we'll go talk to the pirates at the middle table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR7Y7h-uxyQ

Short version:

Are you the villain?
:yarr: Pay me and I'll tell you.

I seem to remember attacking Sullen Michael in my previous playthroughs, but that's dumb and also mean, and requires us to murder basically everyone but the barman. And we've killed enough hobos for today. So instead let's play the completely unspecified amount.

Yes, we're paying an unspecified amount, and we can't at the same time see how much money we have. Game design!

There's [an amount] of money. Now, should we kill you?
:yarr: No, ye jackass, that scribe poured poo poo in your ear. Go beat him up.
A pirate wouldn't lie to us, would he?

You're really believing him?
Do you think someone would do that, Jazhara? Just take our money and then lie?
Weren't you a thief once, James?
Yes? And?
Never mind, let's trust the pirate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMuarDYs1CU

Short version:

Alright, William, intimidate him, soften him up.

The old "phase through the suspect"-move? That's a classic, establish that your molecular tangibility is superior to his.
:eng101: What's this about? Did you talk to Sullen Michael? Gut him like a fish?
We talked to Sullen Michael alright! We paid him to tell us you were lying to us!

:eng101: Please! I'm an innocent victim! I was forced! At swordpoint! Bear has my family hostage!

:eng101: Spaaare meeeeee!
Moving on quickly after Talia, William.
:eng101: ...
Too soon?
Ha ha, no. I was just surprised you had a sense of humour.

I don't think there's any real difference between killing and sparing him, except for your conscience, he ends up on the ground either way.

...what now?
Oh, right, we need some evidence. Let's root through his desk, the forcefield protecting it should be gone now.

We couldn't loot it, much less interact with it, before the clerk got dunked on.

Oh gently caress this guy's from Antara. He has an annotated list of his loving crimes. :psyduck: Someone get Arutha to swap out those lead water pipes.

Anyway, it turns out we're going back to the Bitten Dog again. :v:

The horrible goblin-looking barman is hiding out in the back here.

Also what are those things on the table on the right there? Does this place serve pizzas? Strange yellow gruel? Nacho platters?

Anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxV5DJphxRY

Short version:

:pervert: Get out of here losers.
And if we've got money to spend?
:pervert: Stay in here, losers!
Let's get this over with: we need to get into Knute's room.
:pervert: I couldn't just let you root through his stuff!
He's extremely dead.
:pervert: Ah, well, then, what's the harm. Also I'm going to sexually harass you.
Gross, just give us the key.

Despite all the rooms up here, we can only break into one of them, which makes me sad because one of my favourite things about RPG's is breaking into stuff. Like... there's just a fundamental joy in breaking into people's homes/businesses/fortress and stealing all their poo poo, especially if it requires creative skipping past/distracting their security. I've found that I extremely tend to favour games that let me do that, it was most of my fun with the original Divine Divinity, much more so than the supposedly-central Diablo-esque gameplay.

Uh, but we were about to break into Knute's room.

How did these people get in here? The door was locked! There's no window!

Maybe Lucky Pete let them in just before we arrived and then locked the door...

That would be an absurd coincidence.
Give it up, Jazhara, next you'll start wondering why every second door we open has a homeless person that attacks us, or why Moredhel ambushes on the road never sleep or move, or how the Kingdom economy supports suddenly being flooded with a large amount of looted gems and high-quality swords and armor.

Seriously, in the book there's at least an open window that a guy snuck in through or something, but this is just stupid! It's like those loving wall natives in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull or whatever it's called. God.

For other reasons, this fight loving sucks. The angles in here are loving awful.

I have Jazhara cast Lightning Blade, expecting it to give her a cool lightning laser sword to whack people with. Instead it gives her an orb. The orb just lets her make a lightning attack every turn, so if it's a fight where you don't want her going through tons of mana, but also not just sitting on the back lines or rushing into melee, it's actually not a bad cast.

I did want the laser sword, though...

Now the other reason this fight loving sucks is that the geometry is wonky, James and Jazhara, even with her ranged lightning attack, can't attack this guy, despite nothing being in the way. Only William can whack him.

Eventually the three idiots go down, and we get a short cutscene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmZYpTGu8Oc

Short version:

A key! And it's Lukas' key!
That must have been what they were looking for.
Usually you're not the one to make seemingly random conclusions, how do you figure? I mean, you're right, but how do you figure?
It's the only thing in here it's possible to interact with or pick up.

Yeah, we can't loot a loving thing in here except for the corpses, boo. :v: What's even the point of breaking into a dead man's room if we can't strip it bare?

So where does this key lead?
The sewers.
...they couldn't just lift up a manhole?
I could lift up a manhole.
Look, let's go use the door, then you'll understand.

I will admit, this is more impressive than a manhole.
See? Now you get it.

Next update: The sewer level.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Return to Deus Ex posted:

Nice job, William, they saw us coming because of your Urine Armor.
I wanted mithril! It gave me lemon-lime!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Hey, don't put down the fine tradition of having a mycrimes.txt laying about, Ross Ulbricht has shown us all the magic of that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I wish William's portrait used the MtDew GuardFuel (tm) Armor because at least then he'd be distinct from James at a glance, as opposed to having to check who has the world's largest shoulders

of course that means staring at neon yellowgreen armor for the rest of the LP but hey

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Dear God I forgot about the difficulty spikes this game has.

I was breezing through most fights, and then a wrong dialogue choice dropped me into a battle I smashed my head against for a literal two hours because I didn't have a save immediately prior to it, before finally breaking through.

Psion posted:

I wish William's portrait used the MtDew GuardFuel (tm) Armor because at least then he'd be distinct from James at a glance, as opposed to having to check who has the world's largest shoulders

of course that means staring at neon yellowgreen armor for the rest of the LP but hey

I hear your complaint, and from the next update onwards, rectification will occur!

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 29, 2022

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Psion posted:

I propose the alternative of just having one looking to the right and the other facing left, with backgrounds of different colors, which would work just as well.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Dear God I forgot about the difficulty spikes this game has.

I was breezing through most fights, and then a wrong dialogue choice dropped me into a battle I smashed my head against for a literal two hours because I didn't have a save immediately prior to it, before finally breaking through.

I hear your complaint, and from the next update onwards, rectification will occur!

Yeah, I already had a random encounter where I had to reload over and over to beat. I don't remember this chapter being too bad, William is amazingly useful as a tank, and by now I had started buffing James' defense to the point where he was pretty beefy too. I think the next chapter was where I started hitting some difficulty walls. It does suck when the opponents decide to murder your wizard on their first turn, she usually goes down on the first full attack she takes

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The LP is popping by at a good rate but man I am starting to remember how this game slogs along. It's a... 24 year old? RPG with more than its share of fiddly bits, that Purple is (thankfully) glossing right over. Expected grinding, looting enemies, the occasional brick wall, selling off vendor trash, stuff like that. Plus every chest has that trap-disarming minigame. And now we're to the sewers, which I don't recall outright hating but definitely have Sewer Level Problems.

At least William is gratifyingly meaty, he swats enemies and they tend to just go down. Plus I started to abuse the hell out of flaming oil as well myself once I took a few flasks of it to Jazhara's face. I seem to recall it staying decently useful for a surprisingly long time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

disposablewords posted:

And now we're to the sewers, which I don't recall outright hating but definitely have Sewer Level Problems.

Oh we'll be talking about the loving sewers.

But, yes, everything is super fiddly with regards to looting, ID'ing stuff, selling things, etc. and it doesn't help that half the time it takes some sort of psychic power to deduce whether a given item is an upgrade, a downgrade or a useless fluff item.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

SIGSEGV posted:

I propose the alternative of just having one looking to the right and the other facing left, with backgrounds of different colors, which would work just as well.

No

William must wear the Mountain Dew Armour of Shame

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

:hfive:

thank you, I think it'll really help

and also be hilarious

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

William! We've got a problem.

Whatever it is, we're not solving it by killing more homeless people.

People say they can't tell us apart.

Maybe if I turned around... 90 degrees...

Is it working?

Get down from there.

Maybe we just need some different colours.

I'm vetoing this one. Why do I have to change? Why can't you change?

You're right, I should show that I'm the mature one and the capable, self-sacrificing leader.

Now look what you did, William.

I'm so dreadfully sorry.

I'm not! With this new look, we're perfectly distinct and I look cooler than ever.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

I enjoy William's hi-vis chainmail, it'll come in handy if the party has to do any night cycling. Safety first!

PurpleXVI posted:

The old "phase through the suspect"-move? That's a classic, establish that your molecular tangibility is superior to his.
lol

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
This is the second LP in like a week that has referenced The Slayers.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

ZCKaiser posted:

This is the second LP in like a week that has referenced The Slayers.

I mean, I'm watching through Slayers NEXT with some friends right now, so it was very much on my mind.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Fire oil is amazing, it helped once I started thinking of it as a mana-free sunray casts that always hits and never fails.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm not! With this new look, we're perfectly distinct and I look cooler than ever.

Perfect. You're going above and beyond here! :laugh:

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Yes, more fire oil. Its quite nice. And yes James, keep the sunglasses, it helps a lot.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I wonder if the urine armor might be a graphical glitch - like it isn't loading the texture properly or something. I've known other games to go, e.g., bright pink for such a reason.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
Star Wars: Rebellion has a bug that causes all the ship's 3D models to flash like purple disco balls unless you drop a few 90's-era DLL files in the game's directory and the less said about Morrowind, the better.

But the urine armor looks intentional. I'll have to try and catch up with this LP and get my own urine armor. Purple makes playing this game look easy, but drat the late 90's had no respect for UX at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

raifield posted:

Purple makes playing this game look easy, but drat the late 90's had no respect for UX at all.

What's that? Baby wants camera angles that actually show what's going on? Perhaps ones where all the enemies on the battlefield can be seen at once? lmao check out this nerd who actually wants enemies to be easily targetable

Sounds like someone needs to git gud. :smug:

No for real gently caress the camera angles in this game, both in and out of combat, I wasted half a loving hour because a camera angle obscured a chest with a key item. We'll get to that.

Oh we'll loving get to that.