Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Catching up on this since I missed back when it started. The sewer level is funny for a bunch of reasons, namely that the floor is the exact opposite of how they're actually set up: everyone's walking along the ledges at the side or through the flow down the middle since the way the sewer is laid out in this game would be an inefficient and messy hell. The idea that any mockers would start poo poo with Jimmy is funny on multiple levels. Tl;dr: unless the order came from the Upright Man himself, any Mocker who decides to go after Jimmy on their own accord is a dead man and the only question is how they're going to die.

Also as bad as Jimmy and his ilk can be at times, I think a later series character is ultimately worse. Sure, you get plenty of details as to why this character ends up as good as he is in the end he's quite literally the best swordsman in the world, suggested to be a better archer and hunter than Martin, has the same 'bump of trouble' sixth sense as Jimmy, is a world-class chef...etc. I'm not going to give their name but anyone who read the series probably knows who I'm talking about even without looking at the spoiler text.

I think the biggest crime of the Krondor games is the lack of a game based on the main character in the Serpentwar books, who is actually interesting compared to most others, though the start of the game would be very on rails I guess.

PurpleXVI posted:

The way magic works and the ubiquity of magic feels hilariously inconsistent from each piece of Midkemia media to the next. In the first few, minor mages seem to be everywhere, but unappreciated and unrespected, and outside of a very few no appreciable talents at all outside of cursing someone's cheese.

I think Stardock's existence and the fact that the Kingdom's popular not-insane war hero king and extremely popular war hero prince both support magic users and Pug being a Riftwar hero and magic user is a big part of shifting the general populace from "magic users is evil" to "well they can't all be bad I guess" or liking them due to personally benefiting from the actions of people like Pug. Then all the stuff with discrimination at Stardock happens.

Torrannor posted:

There's the Banath priest healing Erik, the Hantukama priest healing first Keyoke and then later Mara, the Novindus priests trying to help Kaspar with his curse, etc. It's never as flashy as what the mages do, but there are presumably a few more priests than mages. Also, there's tons of mages PoV characters, while priests are nearly always side characters at best.

I think the most noticeable magic healing in the series is in Serpentwar where Sho Pi talks about using reshi(?) to heal injuries and how it's a process that takes awhile for priests learn, only for Nakor to be Nakor and you end up with the Krondorian Dirty Dozen now having a lay of hands-type ability that they use repeatedly on their missions.

JustJeff88 posted:

The most famous is probably where Father Nathan puts down Murmandamus's servant. One dark elf puts him in bed for weeks.

That's because Father Nathan is actively fighting against Murmadamus's significant magic powers, not some random dark elf, and the only reason he 'won' is because he destroyed the Black Slayer's body which causes the invading force (either Murmandamus's own magic or The Darkness) to disperse. Considering what the latter actually is, being in bed for weeks is getting off lightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
That you find a piece of Valheru armor on a random mook outside of Krondor is really funny, as is the idea the party could beat someone using Valheru artifacts considering their power as the Riftwar books made abundantly clear.

PurpleXVI posted:

Unironically everything I hear about the later Midkemia books gives me the same reactions that I have to Brian Herbert's final Dune books finishing off his dad's series, which is that it sounds like a fanfiction parody of itself.

The series is fine up until Shards of a Broken Crown and even then, that book is alright until the very end at which point it goes completely off the rails. The character I'm referring to starts off interesting too. After that it's definitely more bad than good with lots of clear attempts at interesting stuff that just doesn't pan out at all or is very badly done. There's a reveal at the end of the final book that I'll just say is mindbogglingly stupid even without its implications on the rest of the series.

...ok I guess there's actually several endgame reveals that are kinda dumb but this one in particular is especially bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I wish seemingly out of place undead was the worst thing in the later Riftwar books. :v:

The Black Slayers at least make a particular kind of sense, given their special nature.

PurpleXVI posted:

Just about every time THE WITCH gets brought up, Jazhara replies with how there's no such thing as witches, just either natural mages who happen to be female or old women who know how to work with herbs. It's one of the things that feels slightly out of place in the book and in the game. In part because Midkemia's never really had the proscription against female spellcasters that Tsuranuanni had(though of course every Midkemian mage other than Jazhara is male, because being a spellcaster would mean having agency and Feist isn't going to give any of that to a woman without a fight),

I think the number of women with any sort of agency in the series is... 4? Maybe 5? And that's being very generous. I can only imagine his initial thoughts about Mara of the Acoma when Wurst wrote her books.

e: From what I've seen of his new series (Firemane) he's gotten a bit better in that regard.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 19, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I don't recall Tear of the Gods being a particularly good book but drat the writing in this game is noticeably worse than BaK's was.

sb hermit posted:

:colbert: I like Return better than Antara

A bar so low you need a shovel to find it.

(shovel is only available in one shop, 3 chapters earlier)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Seriously, they're ghouls with paralyzing claws, that's completely and utterly a D&D thing. I really do wonder if this was originally a D&D licensed game that they repurposed as a Midkemia game.

This... actually would make a lot of sense. The gear system is very in line with (bad) D&D-themed computer games of the time. The spell names aren't Midkemia-based either unlike BaK, which draws on the actual Riftwar books for their inspiration in most cases and iirc a couple of spells in BaK exist in the other books. Sunray in particular is works the same way in this game as the Sunbolt spell in D&D, with Sunray being the AOE equivalent and which this game also has.

So far I'd rate this game 3 D&D Heroes out of 5 Temples of Elemental Evil. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Riftwar Chess, where you play as Arutha or Abdur Kazara-Khan and each move you take you make a smart rear end quip about the other's country/spying efforts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

quote:

Ooooh, what a sequel hook! The book kinda does this too, except William flings the whole amulet into the surf, and in the "post-credits," Sidi's wading into the water to try and find it, when he's visited by the Witch's ghost, because it turns out the Witch was actually a secret god who's occasionally trying to convince Sidi not to help end the world.

Sorta? She's (spoiler for later in the series, i think very late?) a god's dream. Specifically, she, iirc, is Lims Kragma's dream of Arch-Indar. If that or its implications don't make any sense then congratulations for (probably) not reading the end of Shards of a Broken Crown! Might I suggest you continue to not do so because holy poo poo how did Feist keep writing this series after how stupid of an ending that book had? Other parts of the series were bad, but only one thing comes to mind that was worst writing-wise and that has to do with something revealed in the last chapter (or 2nd to last) of Magician's End since it really drove home that Feist sucks at cosmic and theological stuff when going beyond surface level.

As bad as this game/story is, a fair amount of stuff from it gets mentioned in later books, some minor and others very much not. I wish this game had been as good as BaK though but at least it's not Antara? BaK absolutely and unquestionably looks and plays better than RtK though. Give me more goofy low budget office cosplay outfits over bad generic paperdolls and 3D models any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

The only information I've been able to find on this was that it was supposed to be about dealing with a Keshian cult that had some sort of magical tome.

Sounds like a rough draft for what became Jimmy and the Crawler.