Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
Man, this inspired me to boot this game up. Pro tip to anyone else having trouble, I had to disable Nvidia's game overlay for the game to launch, but otherwise it has been working fine so far. And I forgot how much I like this game. The random encounters are interesting, sometimes crazy overpowered with no real way to win aside from reloading over and over, sometimes pathetically easy. The magic items refuse to really tell you what they do, which can be obnoxious. You really can only judge them based on the price and vague description. The graphics are ugly and blocky. And yet it is all so charming in an odd way. It just feels like there is so much to find and explore, and the combat feels more interesting to me compared to BaK.

Just for reference, this game came out November 1998. Might and Magic 6 came out April 1998, with the other might and magic games coming out in '99 and '00. The other Sierra game to come out around this game was Quest for Glory 5, which came out December 1998. The game doesn't look great, but I am not sure it was all that bad for the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
After playing for a while, I did discover that the game tells you when you can change camera angles. The little box to the right of the Krondor at the lower left corner of the screen will have an eyeball in it. This will be very important in some rooms where the camera angle is your greatest enemy.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Dear God I forgot about the difficulty spikes this game has.

I was breezing through most fights, and then a wrong dialogue choice dropped me into a battle I smashed my head against for a literal two hours because I didn't have a save immediately prior to it, before finally breaking through.

I hear your complaint, and from the next update onwards, rectification will occur!

Yeah, I already had a random encounter where I had to reload over and over to beat. I don't remember this chapter being too bad, William is amazingly useful as a tank, and by now I had started buffing James' defense to the point where he was pretty beefy too. I think the next chapter was where I started hitting some difficulty walls. It does suck when the opponents decide to murder your wizard on their first turn, she usually goes down on the first full attack she takes

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

What's that? Baby wants camera angles that actually show what's going on? Perhaps ones where all the enemies on the battlefield can be seen at once? lmao check out this nerd who actually wants enemies to be easily targetable

Sounds like someone needs to git gud. :smug:

No for real gently caress the camera angles in this game, both in and out of combat, I wasted half a loving hour because a camera angle obscured a chest with a key item. We'll get to that.

Oh we'll loving get to that.

Yup. When I first played this I didn't know you could switch camera angles, which was fun. Once you know about the eyeball icon in the corner which lets you know there are multiple camera angles, it is a little better, but still awful. This game also really punishes you for being a packrat, so of course my entire party is maxed out on carrying crap that I will never use. Despite all the bullshit and dated mechanics, I still love this game, but man can it be annoying. Another fun quirk is that I don't think you can load a saved game or quit to the menu from combat, you can only quit the game entirely. So if you want to try different conversation options that lead into combat, or change the party gear, you just have to restart the game.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

I think there are two parts to this. Firstly, this game seems to have had some development issues which probably left them short on time and money, especially if they hammered out an entirely original engine for this stuff.

Secondly, aaaaaaaaaaall the way back in update 1, we were greeted with this image at bootup just after the intro cinematic:

Note the "book 1"

I really think they thought this would sell like hotcakes and had planned to stretch it out into an episodic thing where folks would go: "GEE WILLIKERS, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT KENDARIC AND SOLON GET UP TO NEXT WEEK!!!!!!"

There are a couple of cutscenes I really recommend watching, like the ones involving the witch because her voice acting, while a bit harmed by the audio mixing, is pretty great. One of the things I remember fondly as being decently written and outright funny at points.

I think the early 3D cutscenes are also harmed by the animations used, though, like... if you notice almost everyone uses the same three or four gestures:

Point At Other Person
Hands At Hips
Arms Folded
Arms Folded And Pointing At Person

It makes characters feel like they have less personality.

Yeah, the game feels really incomplete, I think there was more stuff intended for Krondor, considering how empty the city feels. I wonder if the random item generation was also thrown in due to time issues, it seems so bizarre you can get the best equipment in the game from random encounters during the tutorial chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, that was a better LP than this game deserves. About Arutha and the throne room, you can go in there in the murder mystery chapter, and update Arutha on your progress and get some pointless dialogue. I assume at one point there would be more to it, but it doesn't matter much. Just him telling you to hurry up. It is odd they never had cut scenes there beyond that.

Yeah, after 2 bad ones in a row (this game ended up much worse than I remember) you certainly are owed a break and/or a good game next.