Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I can’t wait to see how Jimmy The Hand is yet again the greatest person at literally everything ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't know why the hate for young Jimmy. The novel 'Jimmy the Hand' was awful to me after how much I enjoyed 'Murder in LaMut' and 'Hono(u)red Enemy', but I liked him as an actual fun, witty character when everyone else around was deadly serious and grim most of the time.
I was fine with young Jimmy's personality and wittiness in the Riftwar books which makes a nice contrasts with Arutha and Pug who he interacts with regularly, but his competence needed to be dialed way back because he was basically stellar at everything.

But I haven't read more of his 'adult aged' books, so I'll take Purple's word for it that they did find a better balance for Jimmy later in the series.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I will probably be burned as an apostate here, but I've never played either of those games.
To clarify the reference:

Both games have a max party size of three characters at any time. In Chrono Trigger, the silent protagonist only has 6 allies to choose from. So even though the game forces switches every now and then, the cast is still small enough that everybody gets plenty of time to shine, they have clearly defined uses in the party, and actual personalities. It never feels bad when you lose a character, because the next one is just as developed and entertaining.

In Chrono Cross, the silent protagonist has over 40 (!) allies who can support your main character, so everybody feels generic as hell and nobody really fits into the story. In fact, the characters don't even have truly unique lines, there's an "accent generator" where they pre-define a verbal tic for each character, then the accent generator can take a generic text string ("yes, let's fight this monster!") and generate text for the 40 different characters automatically. It's a pretty incredible achievement for a 1999 PSX game but also pretty telling as to how bland the characters are.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

It really strikes me as odd that Betrayal at Krondor, an extremely well liked game managed to have two completely separate sequels created by two completely separate teams...that both ended up being pretty mediocre.

Glad to have seen the LP's of Antara and Return these though, thanks Purple.