Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

JustJeff88 posted:

I have not read the later Feistverse, but the book where Jimmmy disappointed, for lack of a better word, me is in Prince of the Blood. It's 20 years on and he's an Earl, and while I really like the emotional arc at the start of the book involving a certain lady, Jimmy is very mature and serious in the rest of the book. I missed the cocky, brash smartarse. Kevin in Servant of the Empire might be a stereotype, but he's an irreverant, funny, charming bloke through the whole novel despite being a slave.

The Tsurani trilogy was imho just simply better written than the rest of Feist's novels, which might have something to do with the fact that he co-wrote it with another author.

I actually don't think anybody in positions of authority can maintain early Jimmy's antics and still be a credible character, and later on Jimmy would be like among the top 5 most powerful nobles in the Kingdom, so that tracks. So I don't mind him turning more serious. What got tedious were the Jimmy clones introduced later, that got tiring pretty fast, imho. Especially when he split the archetype into two, to distribute among his grandsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

PurpleXVI posted:

Possibly to the surprise of some, that was all the William we get for now, one single fight and then we're off to rejoin the rest of the fellas again, and this time the team has grown! This is also where, in the book, we're explained why the Tear of the Gods matters so much.

Firstly, it's a huge-rear end gemstone. That by itself is super important, about as big as a man's thigh, but the really important thing about it is that it's somehow the mystic conduit that permits for prayers to be answered and for divine magic to be cast. It's proposed as a huge issue if this ceases working because dickheads gank it, even though divine magic has, in the books, been of negligible importance so far. In the original two books, priests cast one spell. In the Silverthorn/Sethanon set of books, there's a single Ishapian amulet used to bless Arutha's sword and one divine security system.

But even if we pretend that's kind of a minor thing, we're told that The Bad Guys, whoever they are, could corrupt the Tear to phone up the local equivalent of Cthulhu instead of Ishap & Co. This would admittedly be pretty bad, no one likes having a Cthulhu in their back yard.

So I'm going by memory, not all of this might be 100% accurate. But I think you're wrong about the Tear. I'll put this in spoilers, because it includes info we get in later parts of the series:

It goes back to the setting's cosmology. In the Chaos War, a lot of gods died. Including two of the seven main gods: Arch-Indar, the goddess of good, and Ishap, the Balancer. As a result, four of the remaining five main gods worked together to seal away the fifth main god (Nalar, god of evil). They then created the Tear of the Gods, so that Ishapian priest could still work magic. Because mortal faith can actually return dead gods to life (over a span of thousands of years or so). By Ishap's priesthood still having magic, and keeping the fact that Ishap is dead secret, there would still be mortal worshippers of Ishap whose prayers could bring the Balancer back to life.

You're right that divine magic rarely played a big role in the books, but there are actually a number of times characters were healed by priests, which is certainly one of the main services the temples provide. Especially for the wealthy, of course. But even less well off people could get a bit of healing at times. Priests can also lift curses and banish demons, which again becomes more important later on.

So the Tear of the Gods really is as important as they make it out to be. If it becomes lost for too long, and the priesthood of Ishap loses their ability to work magic, that would be a huge setback in the attempt to bring the Balancer back to life.

And if the artifact gets corrupted, that would not only cut of Ishapians off from spells, but can lead to all other kinds of bad consequences.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's the Banath priest healing Erik, the Hantukama priest healing first Keyoke and then later Mara, the Novindus priests trying to help Kaspar with his curse, etc. It's never as flashy as what the mages do, but there are presumably a few more priests than mages. Also, there's tons of mages PoV characters, while priests are nearly always side characters at best.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

JustJeff88 posted:

The most famous is probably where Father Nathan puts down Murmandamus's servant. One dark elf puts him in bed for weeks.

I just re-read the Avatar series and, especially in the last book, there's a lot of emphasis on the balance of Good/Evil and Law/Chaos and also on the fact that the role of the gods is to take care of their portfolio and that the afterlife is determined by faith, not morality. NeverWinter Nights 2 touches on this as well. As I understand it, the only way to maintain the universe is faith in the gods, and to keep mortals faithful it is necessary to punish faithlesssness in the afterlife.

Which Avatar series? Google apparently only knows Avatar: The Last Airbender. :(