Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Psion posted:

Can't wait to see what all the new and exciting mistakes are, instead!

Hah, took the words right out of my mouth. I mentioned in the other thread that I played this a couple times through, but that was so long ago now. So many bits where they were trying to do something that was ultimately rather beyond them to really do well. Eager to have my memory refreshed on what mistakes I've forgotten, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

One of the reasons that Krondor: the Assassins feels so disconnected is actually that it was written and released after RtK. I don't know how (or if) it matters all that much to Feist's novelization of RtK (Tear of the Gods), but a decent part of Assassins was just backfilling that space in the timeline and helping set up a few things that come into play with no real background outside of RtK.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Oof, I forgot they thrust you into Dead Girlfriend territory quite that fast. Then again, I was the kind of player who'd screw around kicking down doors for way too long just because I liked combat and loot. This was also my introduction to Midkemia, after which I went and got the Magician books out of my library and then rapidly bought the first three/four together. Alas, I don't know where my copies are anymore.

Also, man, I was so eager to get to do alchemy because they teased it right away by having Jazhara come with some of the gear, and it really does take way too long before they let you play with it. The full set of alchemy gear is goddamn heavy, too.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The LP is popping by at a good rate but man I am starting to remember how this game slogs along. It's a... 24 year old? RPG with more than its share of fiddly bits, that Purple is (thankfully) glossing right over. Expected grinding, looting enemies, the occasional brick wall, selling off vendor trash, stuff like that. Plus every chest has that trap-disarming minigame. And now we're to the sewers, which I don't recall outright hating but definitely have Sewer Level Problems.

At least William is gratifyingly meaty, he swats enemies and they tend to just go down. Plus I started to abuse the hell out of flaming oil as well myself once I took a few flasks of it to Jazhara's face. I seem to recall it staying decently useful for a surprisingly long time.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Man, I really do not remember having huge troubles with the sewers like this. Like the only problem I even remember of note was finding the Izmali encounter at the cistern really annoying. I didn't bother with a guide to navigate, so I guess I just got unusually lucky with my choices? I don't know.

PurpleXVI posted:

In the book... it's a lot loving darker.

Also, Jesus what the gently caress.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

As I recall, if you don't screw up with the bartender then the fights against the Nighthawks are a bit more manageable, especially since the demon and mage stay waiting in the pentagram room until you come to them. Sure, there's no drat room to maneuver in there... but then again, there's no drat room to maneuver in there, so Jazhara is very safely behind James as long as James stays alive. Still, the demon is an incredibly rude boss for a rogue and wizard to take on, I was sorely missing William at that point.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

By popular demand posted:

Can't get over the shopkeeper trying to convince us she doesn't know where the fugitive is
"In fact he owes me a lot of moneeeaayy!"

Her chiding "Kendaric!" to get him to go along with you is burned into my brain harder than any other sound or line in this game. I have no drat idea why.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

This chapter is one of my favorite parts of this game and I do not comprehend why. It is a very weird departure from the rest of the game, wandering a tiny stretch of the countryside near Krondor (seriously, I think it's a shorter distance to cover than you go between Krondor and Sarth in BAK) and just having dumb random encounters where you'll rapidly start ignoring the loot because it turns out whoops that's right the game has encumbrance rules.

It's a singularly unimpressive stretch of gameplay that offers and teaches nothing really new at all. It doesn't encourage you to reconsider any gameplay habits except hoovering up loot because of lack of stores. You learn basically nothing new about the characters. But for some reason it's the bit I look back on most fondly. I was always disappointed when it ended. Not even because I hate the coming chapters, I liked basically all of this game - way more than it really deserved, frankly.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Psion posted:

It's not quite that bad. But then, that's an extremely low bar.

Brian Herbert's Dune books hurt so much to read about that I can't bring myself to actually try reading them. It would take a far better author than Frank Herbert himself to turn something that apparently so completely misses the point of Dune into something readable.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Fun thing that only really comes up with the crossing-the-countryside chapter if you are a complete loot goblin and determined grinder like me! Money has weight in this game. When you go to a store, the characters automatically change up their coins to gems, so you're never going to notice the weight of gold coins while still in Krondor. But if you grab everything you can for no real reason, you get to discover that not only is loot heavy, so are your giant piles of accumulated coinage. And there are no stores to change gold for gems at until you reach Haldon Head. It's something you will not notice for like 90% of the game and only even potentially comes up if you have specific packrat habits in a specific stretch of the game, but they went with it for... some reason! It's part of what makes me think they wanted to do a lot more with wandering the countryside and not just one odd chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Keldulas posted:

In terms of the coinage weight, I appreciate that if it's going to be a thing, the game automatically changes to lighter stuff at stores, as an actual set of adventurers would do at least.

Yeah, it's a solid QOL feature if you're going to include money in your encumbrance rules. It just... feels so weird to have it at all when it's going to be a relatively minor point of the game that can only possibly matter if you're an obsessive looter well after it actually still matters. Even in BAK where limited inventory space mattered a lot more, they decided not to care one bit about where you stored thousands of gold coins.