Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Hel posted:

Ground floor, looking forward to this being a better mess than Antara. At least it's unlikely to make the same mistakes.

Can't wait to see what all the new and exciting mistakes are, instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I wish William's portrait used the MtDew GuardFuel (tm) Armor because at least then he'd be distinct from James at a glance, as opposed to having to check who has the world's largest shoulders

of course that means staring at neon yellowgreen armor for the rest of the LP but hey

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

I hear your complaint, and from the next update onwards, rectification will occur!

:hfive:

thank you, I think it'll really help

and also be hilarious

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm not! With this new look, we're perfectly distinct and I look cooler than ever.

Perfect. You're going above and beyond here! :laugh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

Hm, how are we going to get all of this back to the Palace?
Funny you should say that, Mr. Highest Strength Score.

Shades of the Goldfinger "you know gold weighs a lot, there's no way you can get it out of fort knox by truck" conversation right here

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

Next: Nothing goes wrong. Not a thing. Not at all. Everything goes just as it should.

I'm not sure I believe you

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

the same reactions that I have to Brian Herbert's final Dune books finishing off his dad's series,

It's not quite that bad. But then, that's an extremely low bar.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Feist does eventually write a woman magician with a great deal of power. You'll never guess who her dad is. you will haha

dervinosdoom posted:

Interesting to see a death cult hate the undead, it makes sense really, but I rarely see it.

Yeah, it's pretty good really. There's a god of the dead and that's something that's just inevitable. They're in no hurry to make you dead, since it'll happen eventually, which leads to the reasonable outcome of getting pretty pissed with anyone messing with that cycle.

most of the Midkemian gods are not (to the point I stopped reading) really well defined, which is probably for the best, but at least the ones which get some definition have reasonably good ones. and I like how even deities have history and some have died and that changes things. It's pretty good setting background because it gives the world some depth, and it doesn't need to be overly explained in crushingly long and boring passages that have no relevance to the characters current situation.

not that i'm trying to call out an entire segment of fantasy authors here no

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can only imagine his initial thoughts about Mara of the Acoma when Wurst wrote her books.

Here's an interviewer asking Janny Wurts about it:

quote:

Q: Can you tell us a bit about the experience of coauthoring the Empire Trilogy with Raymond E. Feist?

A: Ray had an idea with a beginning and an ending, but no middle, and he asked me to collaborate. He wanted a woman main character, and had seen my touch with political intrigue in my first novel, Sorcerer’s Legacy.At first, I refused, being way to busy, but in the end the story attracted me enough to cave in.

We got together face to face at a World Fantasy Convention, and wrote outlines for Daughter and Servant in one sitting (four hours). Mistress came later, when we realized the story couldn’t end there.

After that, we each drafted scenes, then exchanged them by modem as electronic files, and overwrote and elaborated each other’s drafts multiple times, until you can’t tell who wrote what. It’s a true blend of styles, his and mine, and we finished, still speaking to each other.
(src)

seems significantly above-average for a dude writing fantasy in the late 80s, so credit where it's due? and if he's trying to improve on his blindspots in newer works, that's even better.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 19, 2022

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, the guy barricaded in his house somehow running in from offscreen has nothing on "descends from the skies" but really, all of this is some great comedy

100% unintended, but so what

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

Riftwar Chess, where you play as Arutha or Abdur Kazara-Khan and each move you take you make a smart rear end quip about the other's country/spying efforts.

add those 3D animations like Battle Chess and I'd buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

MagusofStars posted:

It really strikes me as odd that Betrayal at Krondor, an extremely well liked game managed to have two completely separate sequels created by two completely separate teams...that both ended up being pretty mediocre.

Glad to have seen the LP's of Antara and Return these though, thanks Purple.

I don't get it either. I could buy a rushed BAK sequel being bad, since they didn't really get sales on initial release and the enduring good rep happened well after launch so they could've changed the wrong stuff if they'd rushed one, right?

But these? Both were made with plenty of time to figure out what worked and what didn't in BAK. They're just miserable. I guess not retaining the studio with a catalogue of over a dozen superb titles really does matter :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 6, 2022