Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Mooey Cow posted:

In the furry community we call it "yiff" :q:

DEAR FURRIES: WE WERE WRONG

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
The g in gif stands for "graphics" which is pronounced with a hard g, therefore so is gif. If it stood for "giraffe intercourse failure" then sure, pronounce it "jif".

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
the g stands for gif and should be pronounced the same way

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
If gif is pronounced jif then gift would be pronounced jift, but gift is not pronounced that way and the creator died a stubborn old fool who refused to admit his stupidity. Now he's a ghost who wanders aimlessly while screaming "IT'S PRONOUNCED JIF" but no one can hear him.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Yaldabaoth posted:

If gif is pronounced jif then gift would be pronounced jift, but gift is not pronounced that way and the creator died a stubborn old fool who refused to admit his stupidity. Now he's a ghost who wanders aimlessly while screaming "IT'S PRONOUNCED JIF" but no one can hear him.

i can hear him

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Excuse me. You're pronouncing "gif" wrong, it's pronounced "gif", not "gif".

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
a spectre is haunting the internet - the spectre of "gif"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
In order to satisfy both sides of the controversy, I've decided that I will start pronouncing it "ggif" - or sometimes, if I feel like it, "ggif".

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
gif is an acronym for garfield is fat. the first gif was garfield swinging his tail

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
seriously? try saying the letter "g" out loud. i'll wait. yeah, that's what i thought

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

kntfkr posted:

gif is an acronym for garfield is fat. the first gif was garfield swinging his tail

The second gif was of Odie, who - being a character of low intelligence - has the wrong opinion about how to pronounce "gif".

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

The second gif was of Odie, who - being a character of low intelligence - has the wrong opinion about how to pronounce "gif".

(THE CORRECT WAY IS HOW I JUST PRONOUNCED IT THERE ;))

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

a bunch of dipshits telling a dude how to pronounce something he loving invented is peak gbs, im sad we wont be able to do it anymore now that hes worm food

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Randarkman posted:

It's also a brand of Norwegian cleaning supplies.

Not only does "jif" sound dumb, it's taken. Guy should have kept his mouth shut while he was alive.

though to be honest that brand's name is pronounced more like "yif" which is its own can of worms

Y’all have weird Sprite cans over there

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
i dont gif a gently caress

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

its like when barnacle jim died and all those people got banned trying to settle on pronounciation of fyad

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

runnypoops posted:

i dont gif a gently caress

and yet you've implicitly taken a position in the pronunciation wars. curious

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

its like when barnacle jim died and all those people got banned trying to settle on pronounciation of fyad

How do you still behave like a little poo poo?

gif

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

a bunch of dipshits telling a dude how to pronounce something he loving invented is peak gbs, im sad we wont be able to do it anymore now that hes worm food

Considering he spent his life developing key technologies and the only thing he's really actually known for is trying to enforce a flawed pronunciation of an acronym. I think he's peak GBS.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

gently caress him and the giraffe he rode in on.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Dumbfuck didn't even know how to say his own invention lol

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Tarkus posted:

It's an acronym, you can pronounce it however you want. I pronounce it gif probably because that's how it looks and JIF is already taken by "Jraphics Interchange Format"

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

The g in gif stands for "graphics" which is pronounced with a hard g, therefore so is gif. If it stood for "giraffe intercourse failure" then sure, pronounce it "jif".

These make a solid case, and Cerebral Mayhem even has a gif for an av, so he should know. I'm going to keep pronouncing it with a hard 'g',

:rip: to one of the jiants of computer history. He jave us the GIF!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

It's pronounced "fyad" btw.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

I don't pronounce it Jif but this argument still makes no sense yet people constantly make this point. Do you say Scuhba for scuba, or lahseer for laser?

Rip gif man

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
He spent the majority of his time building model trains in the basement lol

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

He spent the majority of his time building model trains in the basement lol

he lived the dream

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Guy who made the Gif is like karl benz

Guy who made the Meme is like enzo ferrari

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
which gif did he make

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

gibbis

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
the only way this will be settled is if its pronounced like three letter agencies, cia, fbi, nsa, mi6, sas, kgb, fsb, gif

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

which gif did he make

:effort:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
the gif, or ghif as he liked it to be called

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I always had it as "gif", not "jiff" in my head as a kid, then I looked up what it meant and the G stands for "Graphics", so I always thought "jiff" pronunciation was stupid. Jiff also just feels extremely, extremely reddit to me.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Obama pronounced it "gif"

which was super cool in 2009

Maybe a lot, lot less cool in 2022

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
He should have recorded a gif of the precise moment his spirit departed his broken body and revealed that it actually means ghost interchange format and now all gifs (gives) are cursed.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Which one?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Which gif do you think was his favorite? Besides conebro obv.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I think it's a hard G word

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i will find out where you live and poo poo on your moms hair you worthless slut how dare you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Considering he spent his life developing key technologies and the only thing he's really actually known for is trying to enforce a flawed pronunciation of an acronym. I think he's peak GBS.

what have you done today

any groundbreaking technologies tarkus wants to share with the class

edit: i'm sorry, i speak out of hurt. i pronounce it "Jif" as well.