Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DesertIslandHermit posted:

BA.2 is about to loving smash America like a tsnumani wave rushing in but at this point we're punch-drunk.

I thought it's been here for a few weeks and is the dominant strain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It is insanely mentally unwell to be concerned about the disease that is the #1 leading non-natural cause of death in the United States going on three years now, which our government has told us that they no longer will fund any sort of efforts to mitigate.

350-400K deaths every year is the baseline norm going forward and if this worries you, you are mentally unwell.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Laughing at the idea that we have a whole wall dedicated to the 58,000 Americans who died in Vietnam and how big that fucker would have to be for the real number of covid dead

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dustcat posted:

covid is putting a lot of selection pressure on the human species rn

believing garbage you read online is finally becoming an evolutionary disadvantage

I don't believe you

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Platystemon posted:

The valve doesn’t lower the protection to the wearer.

It does lower the efficacy for source control, i.e. preventing an infected wearer from spreading the virus, but not to the point where valved respirators are worse than cloth or surgical masks.

I personally don’t love valved N95s because they don’t do much to increase my comfort and they make seal checks harder, but the Aura series fits me so that’s not a dealbreaker.

I just don't get what the point of the valve is then

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
america is CLOSED to covid and OPEN for business, hoo rah buy buy buy work work work

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"
https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/1506729507390205966?s=21
Will Clarence’s lungs turning to goo close Applebees and finally end brunch forever?

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
on the contrary lets schedule more fundraisers

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:36 on Mar 4, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It is insanely mentally unwell to be concerned about the disease that is the #1 leading non-natural cause of death in the United States going on three years now, which our government has told us that they no longer will fund any sort of efforts to mitigate.

350-400K deaths every year is the baseline norm going forward and if this worries you, you are mentally unwell.
this is what it takes

to make america great again

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

that invasion was the lamest god drat thing

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

They're going to write off people dying in their 20s-40s of heart/brain clots as bad diet choices and I'm glad to learn what social murder means and that there's a definition for this insanity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

actionjackson posted:

I just don't get what the point of the valve is then

They are marketed as increasing comfort.

I don’t find that they make much of a difference. Some people find that they do.

Apr 7, 2003

DesertIslandHermit posted:

They're going to write off people dying in their 20s-40s of heart/brain clots as bad diet choices and I'm glad to learn what social murder means and that there's a definition for this insanity.

My brother lost a 24 year old coworker to covid in late 2020 and they wrote it off as 'she was fat'

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

T-Paine posted:

Laughing at the idea that we have a whole wall dedicated to the 58,000 Americans who died in Vietnam and how big that fucker would have to be for the real number of covid dead

there's like an acre of prime downtown Manhattan real estate just being wasted for 1.2 average covid days worth of people

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
Will Covid end? How would it end? When will it end?

How would we know it has ended?

TY

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

zegermans posted:

there's like an acre of prime downtown Manhattan real estate just being wasted for 1.2 average covid days worth of people

americans only care when foreigners kill americans

if it's other americans doing it, they're considered patriots

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Dustcat posted:

americans only care when foreigners kill americans

if it's other americans doing it, they're considered patriots

Only if it's white americans doing it

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

whiggles posted:

Will Covid end? How would it end? When will it end?

How would we know it has ended?

TY

yes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

This brief examines how deaths from COVID-19 rank among other leading causes of death in the U.S. We find that nearly as many people died of COVID-19 in February 2022 as the typical deaths from heart disease. We also find that in January 2022, COVID-19 was the number 1 cause of death for people age 45-84 and in the top 4 leading causes of death for other age groups. The number of COVID-19 deaths has declined so far in March, but the disease remains a leading cause of death, generally exceeding 1,000 deaths per day.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Chamale posted:

I almost missed the milestone!

https://i.imgur.com/TDgDL64.mp4

(has sound)

did people even notice or react to the 1 million milestone?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Platystemon posted:

They are marketed as increasing comfort.

I don’t find that they make much of a difference. Some people find that they do.

I find them more comfortable when worn outside while hiking heavily populated trails. Less heat/condensation build-up.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

america is happy to be rid of the ugly old, the ugly fat, the ugly disabled

if anything more ugly people should die. beauty is not a morbidity.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Chamale posted:

I almost missed the milestone!

https://i.imgur.com/TDgDL64.mp4

(has sound)

lmao

Apr 7, 2003

the mentally well spend their time making tens of thousands of posts about DotA, not worrying about some dumb disease that is over.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

*clicks on thread post count* ahhhh, in the top 20 for a few glorious hours

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/mattlargey/status/1506678499456790528?s=20&t=qxBCZ8U0PA9xyx_cH4a36A I know this was posted in the last thread but I still can't get over how they very clearly waited for SXSW to be over before doing this

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

U-DO Burger posted:

*clicks on thread post count* ahhhh, in the top 20 for a few glorious hours

Hell yeah!

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Covid's over!
A MILLION DEATHS LMAO!!!

Runaway Trashbot
Mar 13, 2022

by Games Forum
I heard this is where we post about Applebee's

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

a million deaths is a small price to pay for our freedom to be marched back into the office to catch a disease

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

zegermans posted:

Rebuild the twin towers and cover it with the names of the covid dead. Crash planes into it to celebrate the end of covid.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

covid has caused "a statistic" amount of death in America

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

has someone clarified yet that “codenamed Scorpio” means “codenamed Scorpio by goons who dont read good and got confused by software names”?

bc that was funny

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Runaway Trashbot posted:

I heard this is where we post about Applebee's
sorta

discussion of grandma being wheeled into the applebee's gas chamber belongs here

discussion of how 2 for $22 is now 2 for $32 goes in the doomsday economics thread

discussion of how much people of different ethnicities tip belongs in the glenn thread

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 391 days!

CODChimera posted:

did people even notice or react to the 1 million milestone?

The media or federal government would have to acknowledge this number first

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Just a reminder that excess deaths are actually up by 40% over pre-pandemic levels so that 1 million death count is probably comically lowballing it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/07/true-number-covid-deaths-us-likely-undercounted-experts

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Colin Mockery posted:

has someone clarified yet that “codenamed Scorpio” means “codenamed Scorpio by goons who dont read good and got confused by software names”?

bc that was funny

Should have called it Scorpion because it has a habit of tearing into peoples' ribcages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

i'm so relieved that covid is over!

what are we going to post about in here?