Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Poppers posted:

They just published a paper identifying specific instances of physician propagated misinformation it seems, to me

no they didn't, that's a communications paper - only the last author is an MD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Buffer posted:

no they didn't, that's a communications paper

they should get better at it

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

quote:

“You know, probably 30% of the people walking in last year were still wearing masks. I don’t think I’ve seen a mask today, which is great.”

Random showman at a state fair.
Link.

What a champion, and I hope everyone has a mild time. I just kept going back to the article because of the outstanding masks are bad and make me feel bad.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

aw frig aw dang it posted:

And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the other two doctors you didn't even know were there.

[a nurse forces a thermometer into my armpit] clever girl.....

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BCR posted:

Random showman at a state fair.
Link.

What a champion, and I hope everyone has a mild time.
:hmmrona:
Two people caught swine flu after visiting pig exhibits at agricultural fairs, CDC reports

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

they should get better at it

who should? doctors? statisticians? communications majors? (the secret to communications with the public? Just kylo ren screaming dumb it down)

the question asked by that paper around accountability for misinformation is interesting, it does have real costs - but like I don't have a great counter to "the abiters of truth would suck" - so my cynicism kicks in an declares that it'd be the Delta CEO again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
so many friends getting COVID this month, the most since summer last year 😵‍💫

luckily my constant posting about paxlovid stuck and half of them got pax before I even brought it up

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Aug 15, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I grew up on White Coat Black Art on the CBC. Given how resistant they were to taking accident protocols from the air industry, I'm not surprised they can be stuck in whatever they get caught on.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
CDC hospitalization data was updated to 5 August (note that yellow means +/-9.9% - though most of them are just 0 to 0):

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#maps_new-admissions-percent-change-county

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

:.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
the only masked person in the ER when I was there for 5 hours was the dude who was taking our insurance info and it was a surgical. we had a team of 8 MDs and a bunch of nurses in our room and nada.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dog Case posted:

I love that everything is so insane that this is a forgettable event. I also didn't remember

i completely forgot about this lol

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/dozens-sign-open-letter-urging-safe-return-to-school-amid-respiratory-illness-concerns-1.6511186

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

A recent internal Health Canada memo revealed Ottawa is sitting on a stockpile of 39 million COVID rapid tests.

PoP BC would like to see the province hand out more rapid tests and provide better education on how to use the tests.
So THAT'S where all the free tests went. Perfidious Canadians!

Seriously though, that retired ER doc should run to be province health commissioner. (Is that an elected office?)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Salon published a very interesting article recently from someone who knows a lot about Parkinson's and not much about the political spectrum. A sampling

Long COVID is devastating and far from rare. As infections rise again, why are we still ignoring it?

quote:

(...)

As previously reported by Salon, an alarming scientific pattern is revealing itself across intersecting areas of research, which suggests that long COVID could be linked to neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson's – having to do with the misfolding of alpha-synuclein proteins in the human nervous system. This misfolding is possibly triggered by an initial COVID infection and can lead to unwanted accumulation of alpha-synuclein and the formation of Lewy bodies, resulting in neurological disorders.

It's imperative that we follow this trail of science all the way through to the end. We can hope it's disproved, but ignoring it will leave us headed in the direction of disaster: debilitating, chronic, irreversible health conditions — or what some are calling a "mass-disabling event."

However, as a result of the Public Health Emergency Act expiring, COVID research and tracking has become more difficult. Coverage for tests, contact tracing, research funding, data reporting – it's all been thrown out the window, along with what little COVID precaution was left. Yet every COVID infection still puts an individual at risk of developing long COVID – which, according to the data, is increasingly likely among the less vaccinated and the more times you've contracted the virus.

It remains unclear whether certain COVID variants have greater potential to cause long COVID, but what is clear is that long haulers (people with long COVID) often report symptoms that line up with what those going through the prodromal (subclinical) phases of various brain diseases describe – meaning that long COVID patients are quite possibly experiencing the early stages of neurodegeneration.

Take, for example, the prodromal stage of Parkinson's disease, which can last for decades prior to clinically-diagnosed Parkinson's. Before diagnosable motor deficits emerge, prodromal Parkinson's patients (though standard practice in medicine can't officially recognize them as such) report symptoms like loss of smell, autonomic dysfunction (POTS, hypertension, hypotension, etc.), loss of sensation in the skin (small fiber neuropathy), gastrointestinal issues, urinary dysfunction, visual anomalies (retinal microvascular alterations), depression/apathy, sleep disorders, hormonal changes, and microclotting (amyloid fibrin microclots), among others.

These symptoms are often only recognized in connection with neurodegeneration retrospectively, after an official Parkinson's diagnosis, and correlate with increased risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and certain autoimmune diseases.

According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) more than a decade ago (2011), 98.8% of Parkinson's patients interviewed in a study reported experiencing strange (prodromal) symptoms for an average of 10.2 years prior to receiving their initial Parkinson's diagnosis, which is consistent with Braak's hypothesis suggesting that Parkinson's is triggered by the inhalation of a pathogen like a virus or toxin.

Yet today, prodromal Parkinson's patients still can't get diagnosed until developing the characteristic motor deficits of clinical Parkinson's disease. This precludes them from treatments and therapies that could possibly prevent or delay the progression of the disease, or at least ease their suffering. Instead, their symptoms are dismissed and overlooked due to the lack of a detectable underlying biological mechanism. Essentially, they are told that the symptoms are in their head or unrelated to a more serious condition.

This is a clear failure of the medical community, as it leaves patients feeling lost, without a course of action. The root cause of their symptoms, as is the case for all early-stage synucleinopathies (diseases involving misfolded alpha-synuclein), can't be detected by standard diagnostics tools. And as diagnoses can't be made by doctors based on patient testimony alone, there are limited systems in place to effectively tackle the problem.

The parallels between the early Parkinson's symptoms outlined above and the symptoms reported by long COVID patients are undeniable. Although few want to admit it, these parallels likely go beyond two sides of the same coin. If the evidence bears out, then long COVID and prodromal Parkinson's could be the same side of the same coin. To be blunt, this means that long COVID patients may actually be miscategorized early-stage Parkinson's patients. :shepface:

But rather than entertain the idea that the consequences of COVID are far from over, we have collectively chosen to avoid the discussion of what could be causing long COVID. Sure, there's been plenty of reporting done on the personal and harrowing stories of those with long COVID – it'd be hard to avoid the topic altogether when there are millions out of the workforce due to long COVID – but, rarely, if ever, is a scientific explanation for long COVID proffered in plain language to the general public.

There's a reason as to why this science isn't being widely discussed. The hyper-politicization of COVID, brought about by then-President Trump at the pandemic's onset, coupled with years of pandemic fatigue, has made it a largely untouchable issue.

This suppression of science is taking place across all levels of government and on both sides of the aisle, but for different reasons. Politicians have no desire to raise more alarm about COVID. On the Left, politicians risk being labeled alarmist, paternalistic or weak. Even popular left-leaning commentators like Bill Maher have been outspoken critics of the COVID response (:laffo:) – a sentiment shared by a vast swathe of Americans who want their children in school, the freedom to enter a store without a mask and the security of employment without vaccine mandates.

And on the Right, politicians who are generally all too willing to use fear to drum up outrage and support won't touch long COVID – despite how scary the link to Parkinson's might be – because it goes against the narrative they've pushed from the beginning: that reacting to COVID does more harm than good. So, that makes long COVID an issue that neither party wants to address. Better to secure your seat for the next election cycle, appease your constituents, then add to the basket of innumerable problems our country is already facing.

(...)

The takeaway from this: there are two subtypes of "long COVID." One falls into the category of post-COVID complications. For example, respiratory-related issues due to lung scarring. The other is long COVID in a more concerning sense: a condition of chronic symptoms that can't be traced to an underlying source. It's this diagnosis by exclusion form of long COVID that has the potential to be the early stages of a neurodegenerative disease. But hopefully diagnosis by exclusion will not be the required approach for much longer, as diagnostically detecting misfolded alpha-synuclein non-invasively in living patients is becoming possible.

If long COVID has a neurological impact, then it'll be much harder to treat than current policy would have us believe. Right now, medical experts, employers, insurers and individuals are treating long COVID as a condition that can be solved through time and therapy — but what if this is not the case for millions of long COVID patients? What if COVID variants continue to cause long COVID and increase the risk of neurodegeneration in those who get infected?

This would mean that acute COVID infection is likely the least of our worries. It'd mean physical therapy won't do much to address your long COVID symptom of post-exertional malaise. It'd mean that a fair number of long haulers won't recover sufficiently to return to work. It'd mean that 5 to 10, possibly 20 years, from now, COVID will exact its real toll, when Parkinson's-like diseases explode.

Galiatsatos said, "If we knew back in the '90s, for instance, what we know now about Epstein-Barr virus causing multiple sclerosis, you better believe we'd have done a lot more to prevent that from happening."

(...)

Dr. David Putrino, Director of Rehabilitation Innovation for the Mount Sinai Health System, is currently working to develop innovative technology solutions for individuals in need of better healthcare accessibility. Mitchell Miglis of Stanford and Christopher Gibbons of Beth Israel Deaconess are both clinicians and researchers studying autonomic dysfunction. They've been focusing on the putative link between peripheral nervous system synucleinopathies, small fiber neuropathy, and autonomic dysfunction (especially POTS).

Then there's Birgit Högl at the Medical University Innsbruck, Austria, a clinician and researcher focusing on rapid eye movement (REM) sleep behavior disorder and related biomarkers. This sleep behavior disorder is a strong predictor of a developing Parkinson's-like disease. Head of the sleep clinic and research group, and vice director of the Department of Neurology, she's involved in ongoing large-scale clinical trials exploring the relation between COVID, sleep disorders and neurodegenerative diseases. The combined research from figures like these will be the key to beating long COVID before a large portion of the population potentially develops an irreversible (neurodegenerative) disability.

Perhaps most crucially, a new skin test has proven effective at detecting alpha-synuclein clumps (the misfolded proteins in the nervous system that indicate a disorder), thereby providing a means of clinically diagnosing synucleinopathies like Parkinson's at far earlier stages. This needs the full weight of funding behind it, with the aim of rolling out these skin biopsies on long COVID patients. If atypical alpha-synuclein is detected across long COVID patients, it'd be convincing evidence that the condition is the beginning of a developing neurodegenerative disease. This could be a real game changer – something the world should genuinely be hopeful about. But, with the COVID emergency over, wide-scale skin testing may be harder to achieve. If possible, this diagnostic tool should be built into regular doctor visits for both the sick and healthy.

(...)

"We need better public health messaging too," Galiatsatos said. The public must start learning about long COVID in a productive way and advocate for a change in strategy. The current state of things is leaving a lot of long COVID patients to feel abandoned, while the rhetoric surrounding the topic is engendering the generalized belief that many with long COVID are malingers rather than sufferers of a debilitating condition.

The evidence indicates that, at least in some cases, long COVID is primarily a brain disease. Admitting this is the first step to carrying out a proactive and fully-informed approach to living in a world with endemic COVID.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Dog Case posted:

I love that everything is so insane that this is a forgettable event. I also didn't remember

lmao

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Buffer posted:

who should? doctors? statisticians? communications majors? (the secret to communications with the public? Just kylo ren screaming dumb it down)

the question asked by that paper around accountability for misinformation is interesting, it does have real costs - but like I don't have a great counter to "the abiters of truth would suck" - so my cynicism kicks in an declares that it'd be the Delta CEO again.

you

Buffer
May 6, 2007

i went to school for it once, if it didn't take it's never going to

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pingui posted:

CDC hospitalization data was updated to 5 August (note that yellow means +/-9.9% - though most of them are just 0 to 0):

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#maps_new-admissions-percent-change-county

lol at the number of ways they're loving with this map to make things look less bad

Troutful
May 31, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

lol at the number of ways they're loving with this map to make things look less bad

what ways are those?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Populated Arizona is the guy tapping on the head saying if you have your wave of covid before anyone is paying attention you get to show that you're going down on the map when it's increasing everywhere else.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
With almost 10k cases registered by the CDC in the US alone, MIS-C and the longer term effects on children has been an ongoing concern. Besides the acute effects (which can be extremely dire), here are some results for the longer term effects. Keep in mind that the study is small (though ~0.6% of total cases) and that - by definition - these have all been hospitalized:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2807432 posted:

Neurological and Psychological Sequelae Associated With Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children
(..)
Abstract
Importance Acute neurological involvement occurs in some patients with multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C), but few data report neurological and psychological sequelae, and no investigations include direct assessments of cognitive function 6 to 12 months after discharge.

Objective To characterize neurological, psychological, and quality of life sequelae after MIS-C.

Design, Setting, and Participants This cross-sectional cohort study was conducted in the US and Canada. Participants included children with MIS-C diagnosed from November 2020 through November 2021, 6 to 12 months after hospital discharge, and their sibling or community controls, when available. Data analysis was performed from August 2022 to May 2023.

Exposure Diagnosis of MIS-C.

Main Outcomes and Measures A central study site remotely administered a onetime neurological examination and in-depth neuropsychological assessment including measures of cognition, behavior, quality of life, and daily function. Generalized estimating equations, accounting for matching, assessed for group differences.

Results Sixty-four patients with MIS-C (mean [SD] age, 11.5 [3.9] years; 20 girls [31%]) and 44 control participants (mean [SD] age, 12.6 [3.7] years; 20 girls [45%]) were enrolled. The MIS-C group exhibited abnormalities on neurological examination more frequently than controls (15 of 61 children [25%] vs 3 of 43 children [7%]; odds ratio, 4.7; 95% CI, 1.3-16.7). Although the 2 groups performed similarly on most cognitive measures, the MIS-C group scored lower on the National Institutes of Health Cognition Toolbox List Sort Working Memory Test, a measure of executive functioning (mean [SD] scores, 96.1 [14.3] vs 103.1 [10.5]). Parents reported worse psychological outcomes in cases compared with controls, particularly higher scores for depression symptoms (mean [SD] scores, 52.6 [13.1] vs 47.8 [9.4]) and somatization (mean [SD] scores, 55.5 [15.5] vs 47.0 [7.6]). Self-reported (mean [SD] scores, 79.6 [13.1] vs 85.5 [12.3]) and parent-reported (mean [SD] scores, 80.3 [15.5] vs 88.6 [13.0]) quality of life scores were also lower in cases than controls.

Conclusions and Relevance In this cohort study, compared with contemporaneous sibling or community controls, patients with MIS-C had more abnormal neurologic examinations, worse working memory scores, more somatization and depression symptoms, and lower quality of life 6 to 12 months after hospital discharge. Although these findings need to be confirmed in larger studies, enhanced monitoring may be warranted for early identification and treatment of neurological and psychological symptoms.

Introduction
Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) is a severe complication of SARS-CoV-2 infection, with more than 9400 cases confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as of May 1, 2023.
(..)

Short article on the matter can be found here:

https://answers.childrenshospital.org/mis-c-mental-neurologic-health/ posted:

MIS-C’s long-term effects on mental and neurologic health

Pingui has issued a correction as of 02:07 on Aug 16, 2023

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

MIS-C is loving gnarly. You know it's bad when the children are getting aspirin after a viral infection.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Poppers posted:

MIS-C is loving gnarly. You know it's bad when the children are getting aspirin after a viral infection.

Yeah, it is one of those things were the "kids don't get COVID" thing was and is wildly unconscionable.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Troutful posted:

what ways are those?

the main ones that aren't source data related are:

1) the switch from red for the high end to pastel orange a while back
2) the extremely low cap, there's a big difference between +20% and +40% and higher and everything is clipped at >=20% increase
3) a 20% band is "stable" but then just one medium 10% range and above that is high

like their switch from community spread to community levels it's designed to minimize all the data, whatever data there actually is

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Salon published a very interesting article recently from someone who knows a lot about Parkinson's and not much about the political spectrum. A sampling

Long COVID is devastating and far from rare. As infections rise again, why are we still ignoring it?

quote:

According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) more than a decade ago (2011), 98.8% of Parkinson's patients interviewed in a study reported experiencing strange (prodromal) symptoms for an average of 10.2 years prior to receiving their initial Parkinson's diagnosis, which is consistent with Braak's hypothesis suggesting that Parkinson's is triggered by the inhalation of a pathogen like a virus or toxin.

gently caress everything. I'm 3.5 years in...so...hurry the gently caress up science I need a cure.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pingui posted:

Yeah, it is one of those things were the "kids don't get COVID" thing was and is wildly unconscionable.

Also, https://www.cdc.gov/globalhealth/covid-19/orphanhood/index.html

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

NGL, “we all just gleefully accumulate Parkinson’s before dying in a hypercane” was not what I expected adulthood to be like

Troutful
May 31, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

the main ones that aren't source data related are:

1) the switch from red for the high end to pastel orange a while back
2) the extremely low cap, there's a big difference between +20% and +40% and higher and everything is clipped at >=20% increase
3) a 20% band is "stable" but then just one medium 10% range and above that is high

like their switch from community spread to community levels it's designed to minimize all the data, whatever data there actually is

Thanks for explaining!

shart attack
Aug 15, 2023

by vyelkin
im going to make a new plague and call it brovid so people are less scared of it

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

quote:

"[The main symptoms of the new Omicron strain EG.5.1] are a sore throat, a runny nose, a blocked nose, sneezing, a cough without phlegm, a headache, a cough with phlegm, a hoarse voice, muscle aches and pains and an altered sense of smell.. However, shortness of breath, a loss of smell and a fever are no longer the main symptoms."

quote:

Fever is no longer the main symptom..

quote:

10 symptoms of Eris strain

Sore throat
Runny nose
Blocked nose
Sneezing
Dry cough
Headache
Wet cough
Hoarse voice
Muscle aches
Altered smell

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ten-symptoms-new-rising-covid-30643261

https://nitter.net/Yash25571056/status/1688356021964820481

quote:

My advice on keeping children home from school now is similar to what was in place pre-pandemic. It is not practical for working parents to keep children home from school for every runny nose, nor is it in the best interest of children to continue to miss school after pandemic school closures. If your child has a mild runny nose or cold symptoms that are not bothering them, and they test negative for COVID-19, send them to school. Your child can wear a mask at school when they have these mild symptoms.

However, if your child has a fever (100.4F and above), vomiting or diarrhea, severe pain or difficulty breathing, take them to see their pediatrician. The best advice I have given parents is to follow your parental instinct-you will know when a child is too sick to attend school.

https://westsidetoday.com/2023/08/15/lausd-chief-medical-director-and-superintendent-recommend-sending-mildly-sick-students-to-class/

quote:

The superintendent also noted a financial impact. If the current 90% daily attendance rate rose to 95% — which it was pre-pandemic — the result, he said, would be $300 million more in state funding, which is largely based on attendance.
more

quote:

The immediate reaction from parents and employees was varied.

If her third-grader has a cold but feels fine, “she will go to school,” said Basia Richard. “If she has a fever, she stays home until fever-free for 24 hours... If she has a cold but doesn’t feel strong, she stays home. I would end all COVID measures!”

“The dividing line he proposes makes sense,” said Pam Schmidt, who is raising grandkids and is wary of children exaggerating mild symptoms so they can stay home.

“Children who are sick should be kept home, especially the littles,” said Crystal Rios, a parent and district instructional aide. “It breaks my heart when they can’t even talk, participate, or play without having a cough attack or boogies constantly running down their noses.”

“I will keep my son at home if he is under the weather … period!” said Kim Serrano.

“If there has to be a dividing-line metric, I think having a fever is a good one,” said Davida Ross, parent of a 10th-grader. “I would also include vomiting and discolored mucus but recognize those may be harder to quantify than a fever. Now that being said, there are plenty of parents who pump their kids up with fever-reducing medication and send them in.”

A longtime substitute teacher said she thinks that “kids should test and should not come if sick with COVID or sick coughing, sneezing, temperature or not.” She recounted how she contracted COVID in a classroom while filling in for a teacher who had left the day earlier with the illness.

“Many parents make decisions to the extremes,” said Elizabeth Gay Lannon, who is helping raise two grandchildren. “Some keep every sneeze home. Some send them to school after they threw up and have a 101 temp. Our elementary school has not had a nurse more than one to two days per week, so office staff and teachers have to decide.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-08-12/got-a-cold-runny-nose-the-sniffles-no-worries-come-to-school-lausd-says

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

The community level metric is a truly brilliant master class in lying with statistics, like three levels deep on the bullshitting:

1) quietly make a trailing metric the main driver of the "low/medium/high" classification, relegating the leading indicator metric that everyone was using up to that point into a secondary input.
2) make it impossible for the leading indicator alone to raise the aggregate warning level above "medium" to ensure the you never accidentally put yourself in the position of first raising the threshold for the warning levels and then have a new variant totally blow through them like what happened with Delta and the hot vax summer cluster gently caress when the CDC thought they had watered down the guidance enough and then got owned; won't make that mistake again
3) and of course you do change all the thresholds again so you won't even be near hinting that people might want to wear masks again if you have a surge as bad as the last one

None of these are done with surveillance reporting on any other disease including flu ofc

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Speaking of covid thread lists
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1691527497488437249?t=3F69Lu9qhw7ZAGegJNqb7g&s=19

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Oldest Man posted:

The community level metric is a truly brilliant master class in lying with statistics, like three levels deep on the bullshitting:

1) quietly make a trailing metric the main driver of the "low/medium/high" classification, relegating the leading indicator metric that everyone was using up to that point into a secondary input.
2) make it impossible for the leading indicator alone to raise the aggregate warning level above "medium" to ensure the you never accidentally put yourself in the position of first raising the threshold for the warning levels and then have a new variant totally blow through them like what happened with Delta and the hot vax summer cluster gently caress when the CDC thought they had watered down the guidance enough and then got owned; won't make that mistake again
3) and of course you do change all the thresholds again so you won't even be near hinting that people might want to wear masks again if you have a surge as bad as the last one

None of these are done with surveillance reporting on any other disease including flu ofc

As if that wasn't enough they switched from primary colors to pastel colors so red is sorta pink.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I'm not trying to sound an alarm here.....but the wastewater data is pretty terrifying.

Wastewater levels in multiple cities are higher than they were in 2021.

https://biobot.io/data/

shart attack
Aug 15, 2023

by vyelkin
there's no problem i can't ignore or outright deny, it's called being positive about life and humanity, y'all should try it

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

shart attack posted:

there's no problem i can't ignore or outright deny, it's called being positive about life and humanity, y'all should try it

oh we're all very positive :getin:

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Are there any good new data or studies out there regarding pediatric booster effectiveness? My kids are about a year out since their last shots and ~9 months since infection. With school starting up again next week I’m thinking it’s best to get them a booster now rather than wait for the updated monovalent next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
everything is fine

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7267613790529686827