Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

loading... posted:

now that we're 100% openerup i am becoming more and more alienated from more and more of my friends whose social media posts indicate they are incredibly selfish and will gladly spread a horribly infectious, deadly, mass disabling disease at every available opportunity, until i have no one left

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

welp, wife’s rapid test is positive

I have a sore throat

:(

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Note to thread: wife's nasal swab was negative. 2x throat + nasal swabs were positive.

Throat swab lyfe.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

places the positive wife and presumed positive i have been in the past week:

1. dentist (no masks, but masks for staff w/portable hepa filters running on full)
2. grocery store (just her, but in an aura in a still mask-dominant area of the country)
3. a home nannyshare, where everyone tests routinely and is pretty careful. all have tested negative recently.

welp. two years of locking down in every way we could without quitting our jobs down the drain. right after the moderna news, too. awesome.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

I'm sorry to hear this! Hope you can take it very easy for a while.

Also if you haven't already maybe consider isolating/masking at home. There's so much uncertainty and nothing definitive but there has been consistent speculation that reducing early viral load might help minimize the chance of longer term impacts.

edit: it's really important to emphasize parents haven been put into an impossible position recently and someone doing their best to avoid infection in that context isn't to blame.

yeah, we're in auras right now. air filters are running. isolating from the toddler is hard to impossible. rules.

most recent nasal vs. throat + nasal swab comparison:

throat's nice and dark.

Insanite has issued a correction as of 21:08 on Mar 24, 2022

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

is there any benefit in continuing to mask and isolate in a household if you're all confirmed positive? i have not taken a bio class since high school and i don't know how immune systems work. i will therefore be taking over as the white house's covid response coordinator.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

entering day two of my symptoms living with a covid positive spouse.

my morning rapid test is negative.

so, uh, probably don’t bet it all on rapid tests early on.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Lots of people on work Slack saying they are sick with "allergies" and reporting negative antigen tests.

It's been said a million times, but the strategy of relying on those tests was genius political theater. Millions of false negatives and most of the pozzes won't even show up in the official stats.

still testing negative on rapid tests, though i definitely have it and have been symptomatic for over a day. lol.

we'll never reach 200 cases per 100k pop. in the past 7 days again. as designed.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

welp, toddler is offically RAT-positive three days after my wife popped positive.

i remain negative, but i assume it is still coming.

it's been a long two years. good thing covid is over, now. what's omicron infection immunity good for? twenty, thirty years?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

University of Washington is doing a shingrix study aimed at people aged 30-40. Think imma jump on that poo poo

https://depts.washington.edu/herpes/studies/display/shingrix_vaccination_and_immune_response

drat, wish there were something like that around boston.

(day 3 of being around two positive family members. still rapid testing negative while symptomatic the whole time lol.)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

welp. finally RATted positive ~3 days into symptoms and ~5 days after exposure. was beginning to think that i had ~~superior genes~~ or something

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

papersack posted:

How are the Binax rapid tests at detecting COVID nowadays? I've taken three, all negative, but still got lingering doubts. I swab my throat twice, then nose twice. Anything else I should be doing?

depends on when you test over the course of an infection. you are likely to have symptoms for a bit before you test positive if you’re vaccinated.

I’m lightning mine up right now, but it took three days after exposure to show even a faint line.

home rapid tests are kinda garbage unless you serial test according to instructions. they are okay but imperfect when used as directed.

(my wife is five days out from her first positive. ready to go back to work, according to the cdc, but very very much still positive.)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

papersack posted:

Thanks. My first potential exposure was Friday, and last was yesterday. I've got tons of these things so I'll be doing one a day until Saturday. No symptoms yet, hoping I made it out ok.

consider making a PCR test at the end of the week your final say. the rapid tests are definitely not bulletproof. assume that you are positive until you get your results.

if you're american--home PCR test that you can probably get for free: https://www.ondemand.labcorp.com/at-home-test-kits/covid-19-test-home-collection-kit

Nocturtle posted:

Hope your family's doing OK. Don't let the CDC drag your wife back to work IMO.

Home rapid tests are good for confirming a COVID infection when you're symptomatic and should be isolating anyway. A negative provides almost zero useful or actionable info properly interpreted.

she's not going back for a while, but when she is, she'll be around people who are following company/cdc guidance, so, uh, looking forward to getting this over and over again with no long-term ill effects at all.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

currently infected with covid over here. does this mean my brain is becoming streamlined and more efficient?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

not_superiority posted:

It would be worth calling ahead to ask. My new dentist's office had air purifiers in the exam room so I felt pretty good about it.

Granted there wasn't one in the waiting area but I am in texas :/

also, think about positioning even if they have purifiers.

the dentist is our #1 suspect for how covid hit my family. they did have portable purifiers, but they were positioned in such a way that your head is pretty much in between the filter and everything it is drawing in.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

::ill with covid, trying to take care of equally ill toddler while without childcare for another week at least, burning through pto::

wow i'm so free

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Welp I'm feeling back to normal after ~24hr of feeling crappy + diarrhea so I assume it was food poisoning/norovirus. Too close for comfort though, I'll have to be more diligent w envomask and not just kn94 it out of laziness.

RAT was negative, it's too late for a PCR at this point, yes?

PCRs will be positive for a long while after a covid infection, iirc.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

I cruised the op but didn't see it, what's the best covid recovery strategy? I'm on day 8 of symptoms, drinking water and resting, but I'm being hit a lot by fatigue, headache, and gi symptoms. are there medications to take/avoid? I've been taking mostly ibuprofen and acetaminophen

same boat, basically, if a little earlier in the course of infection.

my rear end is thoroughly kicked. am taking ibuprofen and acetaminophen as needed. also plan to avoid alcohol for the next several weeks. maybe forever--i've been drinking too much during this pandemic, anyway.

have resumed taking fish oil in the bro science hope that it does anything for microclots. /shrug

it's sort of scary that there's nothing really out there for us to do but wait and hope that our numbers aren't up. shouldn't having good tools for recovery be part of "living with covid?"

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I know the spreadsheet is a meme but really covid is such an obvious line in the sand for relationships. Like if your SO isn’t worried about giving you something that could kill you how do you process that and coexist with them? And what are the odds they’re ready to be your caretaker if you get disabled by covid? What is your life insurance situation? Have you planned your finances if one or both of you get covid? Are your advanced directives in order? All that’s basic “spending the rest of your life with someone” stuff but if you’re not on the same page with how you both approach covid how to you figure all this out?

This isn’t directed at weed buddy OP, just thinking in general about couples who have this divide. One of the first things my husband and I did at the start of the pandemic was reiterate that we were going to look out for each other and I don’t understand what the point of any of this is if it’s not to look out for each other.

Ty for reminding me that I have to have this conversation.

I hate it.

and we have a kid. spreadsheeting neither eliminates my risk nor the young child’s, so that’s cool.

we have covid _currently_ and I got bristled at for talking about NYC’s mayor demanding that people get back to work because restaurants need their lunch crowd, damnit.

“what are people supposed to do—never go to a restaurant again?”

:batuka:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Cheesus posted:

Same boat with spouse and child.

If any part of your conversation works/sticks, please share.

For my part, nothing has worked. It's like the conversation can never start because as soon as either one of us brings it up, I get immediately talked over with whatever I have to offer overridden by her "same-or-more-weight" anecdotes and unfounded beliefs (including popular hits like, "kids don't get it as much as adults" and "he had it last month; he's immune for at least three months!"). Mine won't even let me explain how I've been looking at it, which despite being upset over how soon we Open Bidened, isn't even a strict "keep it locked down" but more like, "Let's keep an eye on reported data like hospitalizations, and other indicators and proceed based on that on a week to week basis."

But nope, I'm completely on my own and it sucks.

my spouse isn't even an open biden person! she masks in indoor settings and has generally been okay with cspam-level precautions for most of the pandemic. she hates emily oster, for god's sake.

but she also wants to start doing "normal" things, like being in the office sometimes or taking the kid to swim lessons indoors. it's not that i don't understand the desire, but does reality support "normal?" does doing enough "normal" mean that one of us will have a pulmonary embolism w/in the next five years?

she's okay with talking about long-term care insurance, supplemental disability, advance directives, etc., but says that they are "depressing." indefinitely committing to behaviors that will reduce the need for these things is not acceptable, though, i guess.

i think that what another poster earlier ITT called western "senioritis" is a big part of this. like, why be so careful if you know the world will collapse around you in a few years, anyway?

Insanite has issued a correction as of 13:08 on Apr 1, 2022

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

Is there a product or something that people can buy to be able to poo poo into?

I was thinking of how BA.2 causes people to get the shits, and the average household usually only have 1 toilet per 2 to 3 people. What'll happens when everyone in the household needs the toilet at all once?

it's called a bucket, op

lol let's ride this public health disaster into pre-plumbing times

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

wife and i are 9 and 6 days out from first positive tests, respectively.

cdc says we're ready to go to work with any mask at all, lol.

e: while discussing this, wife said that she's read things that say that being 10+ days out still RATting positive is not necessarily a sign of infectiousness. this would be news to me if true. does that sound familiar to anyone? i thought this was only the case with PCRs.

Insanite has issued a correction as of 14:32 on Apr 2, 2022

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Buffer posted:

the challenge trials that just got published had infectiousness at 12+ days after a positive test

granted, OG covid, but I'd assume a positive is a positive

with such a massive incentive towards lowering quarantine times for the dow and the general political situation I'm deeply sus of counter-intuitive things that would let you not quarantine

this was also my thought. it seems like the Japanese preprint that is floating around noted that it was hard to get cultured virus ten days out or something, but that seems quite different from “nah, you’re good to work and mingle regardless of what the test says, now.”

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

as a layperson, I’m seldom able to tell whether things like this mean “this virus isn’t great to great” or “100% dead or disabled in 5 years”

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

The other thing that humanity has to keep in mind is that we all have to respect each other's choices. "The big message is that at this point [if you live in an area] with levels low, everyone has to evaluate their own risk, their own family's risk," says Weatherhead. And those decisions, she stresses, "should be respected" by all.

lol

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I don’t think I ever ate in a sit down restaurant more than two times in my entire childhood and people literally dying for it is funny as hell and also incredibly sad

I grew up similarly. we ate out maybe once every couple of years and, maybe as a result, I’m not devastated about avoiding restaurants for these last couple of years.

I don’t really get it.

really makes for tension in relationships, though!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

“There’s a narrative that the only legitimate socialization happens on commercial real estate” is 100% correct. Capitalism monetizes everything eventually, even basic human nature.

yup. it can perversely chip away at the value of “free” experiences, too—I’ve known people to poo poo on the idea of hiking or having a picnic in the park rather than dining out.

like, what the gently caress? is it the socialization they miss or is it just a specific variety of consumption?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

we live in hell

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Zisky posted:

Are you just realizing this now?

I guess it’s more like a mantra than anything

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

1. lmao
2. Again with the “mild symptoms, grateful to be vaxxed and boosted” script

the symptoms are virtually always mild to start. give me some follow-ups, VIPs.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

are the blue "'HEPASilent' but not actually HEPA" filters trash?

i recall seeing them performing well with tiny particles, e.g. smoke, so i assumed from that that they were probably okay regardless of the filter design

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Trixie Hardcore posted:

BlueAir has a whole page on their website devoted to how serious they are about covid that makes it sound like their purifiers do something for covid but the only filter BlueAir actually claims does anything to filter the virus is the Protect 7400 filter. If any of their other filters were effective filtering the virus I would assume they would mention it explicitly but since they don't I wouldn't count on a HEPASilent to filter the virus.

e: also the only test they show for the Protect 7400 is in a 13ft sealed box

interesting. consumer reports is pretty into them, and their air purifier testing setup is so legitimate that they made a tiktok video about it: https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7075069660026178862

the dentist's office where my wife probably caught covid does, however, use portable blueairs exclusively. :unsmith:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

wife's boss is in the office today while her husband has just come down with covid

why risk giving it to others when you have an easy phones 'n' computers job?

"what am i supposed to do? stay at home for two weeks?"

lol i can't deal with this

am i an alien?

why does anyone think behaving like this is acceptable?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

Someone said silica packages should do the trick.

while this might be true, the new job + key car option does seem best.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Feel like I'm going insane when I see things like this.

I just struggled to walk my dog around the block after 'recovering' from a 'mild' COVID infection. :)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I'm starting to feel like the best case scenario is being able to try and be infected fewer times than the average person over the next couple of years because between having to work to pay the mortgage and having a kid in daycare and eventually school there's just no way to avoid it forever when the official government stance is that catching COVID is fine and good and there is no reason at all anyone should be avoiding that.

yup. if I were single and childless I’d be able to keep up the hermit thing more successfully, but I don’t see a way to not tally up multiple infections while raising a kid.

beyond this, the “fewer” part is really dependent on how over one’s partner feels covid is.

feels awesome given that we know so little about what repeated covid infections do to us!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

FT devoting a lot of space to long COVID today:

https://twitter.com/ftopinion/status/1513004524323147777

Random quotes:

quote:

While long Covid is taking a heavy toll on the individuals affected, it also represents a disaster in the making for businesses and economies — potentially pushing significant numbers of people out of labour markets where employers are already struggling to hire.

One in five patients hospitalised with Covid were still not working five months later, according to a UK study on the effects of the virus post-hospitalisation. A similar proportion had changed their job because of health issues.

quote:

Policymakers are starting to suspect the condition is a factor behind the labour shortages seen in the US and UK, where many older workers are looking to work fewer hours or have left the workforce completely. One study by the Brookings Institution in January speculated that long Covid could potentially account for upwards of 15 per cent of the 10.6mn unfilled jobs in the US.

quote:

So far, the scale of the problem globally is unknown: very few countries collect data on the incidence of long Covid, and employers are not always aware of cases among their staff, who often struggle to get a diagnosis, or are reluctant to disclose their condition for fear it will affect their position.

But in some countries, labour market data give an idea of how long-term health issues grew during the pandemic. In the US, where long Covid can qualify as a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act, labour force data show the number of civilians with a disability who are working or seeking work grew by 1.36mn, a 23 per cent increase, between January 2021 and January 2022.

Meanwhile, UK labour market data show a rise of some 200,000 since the start of the pandemic in the number of people who are not working or job-seeking because of long-term ill health; and a quarter of UK companies say long Covid is one of the main causes of long-term staff absence.

The UK also publishes an official monthly count of self-reported cases, in which an estimated 1.2mn people said in March they had persistent long Covid symptoms lasting at least 12 weeks, with women, people aged between 35 and 49, health workers and teachers most affected. A total of 784,000 said they had been suffering for at least a year, and 322,000 said it limited their day to day activities “a lot.”

“I think we’re in for a much bigger problem,” says Clare Rayner, a former consultant occupational physician who had long Covid, who is helping to develop services for sufferers.

She believes the numbers affected will become more visible as businesses ask staff to return to offices and as some NHS employers, who have so far kept health workers on full pay while on Covid-related sick leave, withdraw this support.

“There’s a crunch point coming very, very soon,” Rayner says, adding that she was increasingly seeing people being “managed out” if they were unable to return full time.

quote:

Research by the UK’s Trades Union Congress found that a quarter of employees with long Covid had not dared tell their employer, while a fifth faced questions about the impact of their symptoms and one in 20 had felt forced to retire, resign or take redundancy. “We have a significant workplace issue, a growing issue,” says Sue Coe, TUC senior policy officer.

Followed by a lot of capitalist paper proposing 'humane' capitalist solutions to prevent too much loss of 'talent' stuff. Better to see it covered in mainstream sources than not, though.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

2fat4sex posted:

Try looking in the Lehigh Valley area of Pennsylvania. It's very boring culturally compared to NYC (but let's be real, if you're a thread regular that's not your highest priority lmao), but has nice scenery and nature within easy reach and is only a 2 hour drive back into NYC if you ever want to do any events there. Housing prices are slowly climbing thanks to people like you trying to flee the city, but it's still not quite as insane as anything in Jersey is.

i'm a citydweller, but good god have i been daydreaming about being able to enjoy nature w/out driving out somewhere.

birds are cool. plus, there is less covid outside. the outdoors: good.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1513451481910763526

is this good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

similarly massive same

it's amazing that things beside "it's a bad cold" never remain in popular discussion

even the scary cardiovascular complications thing from VA data has come and gone