Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
despite having one of those legit letters saying my mice are Service Animals that help with my depression (because they literally do), my landlord is like "lmao gently caress you, no pets". my landlord is a complete rear end in a top hat, to be honest, but the place is cheap and clean and usually they just leave me alone

however i'm pretty sure i dont want to give them up, so im probably gonna move into a new apt next week or just move out of the area in 2 weeks

i may have to give them away though :(

Nico is still a bitey jerk (she even bites when i give her food lmao), Jellybean has gotten so tame she specifically comes over to the cage door when she wants me to get her out and play Climb on the Human. sometimes she just lays on the bed with me while i pet her, like a cat. it's so freakin cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Go tell your landlord that if he tries to kick you or your mice out you'll have HUD so far up his rear end he'll have an itchy throat.

https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/assistance_animals

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Chief McHeath posted:

Go tell your landlord that if he tries to kick you or your mice out you'll have HUD so far up his rear end he'll have an itchy throat.

Honestly yeah

They don't get to decide that and your landlord is banking on you not being able or wanting to fight it

Find a pro bono attorney who's willing to send a nice note politely reminding your landlord of federal law and the consequences of not following it

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Where do you live? Is it possible to take them to a shelter nearby? You shouldn't jump from your apartment just because of this, it will cause further problems for you.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Landlords get really lovely about mice and rodents in general because they're seen as pests instead of pets.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Good thing about them is they are small. Just lie and stow them away when you get an inspection

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Honestly yeah

They don't get to decide that and your landlord is banking on you not being able or wanting to fight it

i mean, they're right. even if i were to get a pro bono attorney, i just fundamentally don't have the time and energy to get into it. i'm depressed and stressed enough as it is

i don't have a lease so it's not gonna be a big deal to move. i need to get out of this area anyway. it's so awful. seriously

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

your animals aren't service animals, they're emotional support animals. you can still sue though since you have that letter. service animals are only miniature horses and dogs per the ADA.

since you wanna get out though, get the hell out and enjoy your little squeakers.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I'm confused. If you don't have a lease, how can you have a landlord? Living with friends or family?

I'm not a lawyer but if there's no contract you can't contest this afaik.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
i dont like that you gotta give away your mice

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
stop it!!

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Honest question; Is it normal for landlords to demand access to your apartment? I’ve lived in lots of apartment complexes and that has never been a thing

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Wait didn't you get them from Petco/smart? They will take them back. They have you sign a paper for any pet 'adoption'. I can't guarantee anything after that.

I feel really, really bad for you OP. It's a bad situation to be in but you should take care of yourself first.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Bouillon Rube posted:

Honest question; Is it normal for landlords to demand access to your apartment? I’ve lived in lots of apartment complexes and that has never been a thing

Depending on the state, they're supposed to give notice before they come in for bug spray/fire alarm or whatever.

Realistically, they just knock on the door and say they need to be let in. At the place I just moved out of, my landlord and maintenence people showed up and said they had to come in NOW to fix a boiler issue. They made a hole in my bedroom wall, said they'd fix it the next day and then...never did. It was still there when I moved out 3 years later.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

precision posted:

i mean, they're right. even if i were to get a pro bono attorney, i just fundamentally don't have the time and energy to get into it. i'm depressed and stressed enough as it is

i don't have a lease so it's not gonna be a big deal to move. i need to get out of this area anyway. it's so awful. seriously

If you already want to move anyway, the choice seems clear. Not sure what the problem is, OP.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
instead of responding to landlord in kind, only use the words "go gently caress yourself" over and over, in varying tones

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Where do u live OP maybe some kind goon can care for your vermin

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I was honestly going to say I can take your mice but I don't have any idea how'd to get them here. I live in a pet friendly apartment and have good experience with rats and guinea pigs.

But I can't roadtrip to pick them up.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Put some mousetraps in their cages. :shuckyes:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Does your landlord live on-site or something, OP? If they don't then just, like, hide them. Put them in their box or whatever and give them to someone for the day when the landlord is coming. I had some roommates once who had four cats between them and we shared a "no pets" place. When we signed the lease we lied the landlord and said no pets. When we knew the landlord was coming once, we had one of their families take the cats for the day. Just lie to your landlord OP, landlords don't deserve the truth, and mice are much easier to just move or hand off for a day than dogs and cats.

Now if you have an on-site landlord or some informal arrangement with no lease so normal rules and rights don't exist, my condolences.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

Yeah, and also get an emotional support goose and push it round everywhere in a pram to really stick it up him.

Fake edit: Does anyone have pic(s) of emotional support goose from the GBS post a few years ago? That was one funny goose.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
show em whose boss and get a pig with huge balls

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Should have just told them that the mice were there already when you moved in and that you didn’t complain so why should they

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 25, 2022

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Should have just told them that the mice were there already when you moved in and that you didn’t complain so why should they

Tell the landlord the mice aren't your pets, they are actually part of a vermin infestation. This will make the landlord realize they will have to hire an exterminator to get rid of them, which would cost money, and they will promptly lose any interest in the matter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Treecko posted:

I'm confused. If you don't have a lease, how can you have a landlord? Living with friends or family?

I'm not a lawyer but if there's no contract you can't contest this afaik.

it's just a place that lets you pay monthly without a lease. technically i have a 1-month lease every month. it's not that uncommon, especially in areas with lots of migrant workers

i don't like having a lease if i don't have to, especially since i hate this area and never planned to live here haha

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

precision posted:

it's just a place that lets you pay monthly without a lease. technically i have a 1-month lease every month. it's not that uncommon, especially in areas with lots of migrant workers

i don't like having a lease if i don't have to, especially since i hate this area and never planned to live here haha

OK, I get that. I've been on a monthly lease for years before I moved. So then you're OK. What did they say about the mice? Was in writing that you can't have pets?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Treecko posted:

OK, I get that. I've been on a monthly lease for years before I moved. So then you're OK. What did they say about the mice? Was in writing that you can't have pets?

yeah, there's an "absolultely no pets" thing. i just like, i really didn't expect them to actually include a couple lil mouses in that. everywhere else ive ever lived, "no pets" onlly means "no cats or dogs or stinky ferrets or birds but fish and hamsters and reptiles are fine"

like i said, they just don't like me. i mean that in an actual, non-paranoid sense... it sucks, but it's beyond me. i've gone way above and beyond to be a good and friendly tenant and if they can't see that, at a certain point that's on them. they aren't very nice or kind people in general so it's hardly surprising that they don't like a weirdo like me lmao.

i think part of it is that they think i'm more gay than i am. i mean, i think they think i'm one hundo gay instead of bisexual

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Pound thin. Bread. Fry. Many options but I suggest lemon and capers.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sorry :( I work with mice and they are emotionally realized creatures with a clear inner life. I'm sorry you are going through this. I imagine the pets/vermin line gets complicated with pets that can also be considered vermin. Check your rental agreement and call up some lawyer friends to grab some free labor from them for advice.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You've said you don't have the energy to fight but it's worth at least sending a basic standard legalese form letter in writing referencing the right statutes and saying 'hey I have the legal right to have these and this sounds lawyerish' to see if they just back down at that.

The Federal Fair Housing Act applies if they rent out more than three properties or uses a broker and gives you the undeniable right to an ESA.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MikeJF posted:

You've said you don't have the energy to fight but it's worth at least sending a basic standard legalese form letter in writing referencing the right statutes to see if they just back down at that.

The Federal Fair Housing Act applies if they rent out more than three properties or uses a broker and gives you the undeniable right to an ESA.

they can always ask me to leave for nonspecific reasons at the end of the monthly period anyway. there's nothing i could realistically do...

like, i know it sucks, but that's life as a poor person in america. there's tons of situations where there's nothing realistic you can do, no matter how much you're in the right

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

they can always ask me to leave for nonspecific reasons at the end of the monthly period anyway. there's nothing i could realistically do...

like, i know it sucks, but that's life as a poor person in america. there's tons of situations where there's nothing realistic you can do, no matter how much you're in the right

Where do you live? You may be underestimating your position. Landlords, while terrible, generally like like fuss pay on time clients. Like, yeah, they are assholes. They have to be, that is SOP. But if you stand your ground there is a good chance you can come to an understanding.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

precision posted:

If you are month to month, yeah not much you can do. At the very least, since you seem to be on the outs anyway, write an honest email detailing your situation, the non-effect of having a pair of mice, and point to any positives you have as a tenant. I'm not suggesting groveling, but at least try to pluck the guilt string of their heart if they have one. It's about the best you can do if you are unable to entertain aggressive stances like threatening action. At the least you lose what you were already going to lose, maybe you can buy some time to help you find another place though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Keep the mice, kick the landlord

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Pound thin. Bread. Fry. Many options but I suggest lemon and capers.

Actually this is probably a bad idea you shouldn't eat your landlord.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
caught in a trap. and I am not black.

Just want to nestle in your warm home for more babies.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

Keep the mice, kick the landlord

marry the mice, gently caress the landlord, kill the government

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SAY YOHO posted:

If you are month to month, yeah not much you can do. At the very least, since you seem to be on the outs anyway, write an honest email detailing your situation, the non-effect of having a pair of mice, and point to any positives you have as a tenant. I'm not suggesting groveling, but at least try to pluck the guilt string of their heart if they have one. It's about the best you can do if you are unable to entertain aggressive stances like threatening action. At the least you lose what you were already going to lose, maybe you can buy some time to help you find another place though.

oh i should have probably been a little more clear, there's a place literally half a mile down the street that i can move into, so i'm not stressed about that part.

the people who own the place are.... how to put this... very right wing. and most people who live here are crazy, meth smoking white people who yell all the time

now, here's where part of the problem is. i've already talked to them about being a good tenant.. it did not go well

i was paying rent one day and casually mentioned something like "aren't you glad i'm quiet and polite and i don't scream gently caress all the time and stuff like these other people"

"what do you mean by "these people""

"uh i just literally meant... these people..."

"you're talking down about them. you don't loving know them"

"what... no... i was just saying i don't scream obscenities... i'm quiet"

"well they pay their rent on time"

seriously... like... i know you might be tempted to think i'm being exagerrated about how they "don't like people like me" but that's actually what's going on here

it's actually kind of baffling, because even in places like Tennessee i've never encountered a landlord who really just cares more about what kind of person i am than about whether i'm quiet and clean and nice

like, another issue is that my next door neighbor yells all day stuff like "LEAVE ME THE gently caress ALONE MAN". he's the brother in law of the landlord. she keeps being like "i can't do anything about it".

so, yeah.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Famous goon social graces lol

Good luck with your mice though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Train the mice to kill and eat your landlord and also the neighbors OP. Sounds like you’d be doing the world a favor.