Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Honestly yeah

They don't get to decide that and your landlord is banking on you not being able or wanting to fight it

Find a pro bono attorney who's willing to send a nice note politely reminding your landlord of federal law and the consequences of not following it

Serious question but why would an attorney do that for free and how do you find one that would?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I think you're really underestimating your rights. Even druggies who find a place to squat have to go through court to be formally evicted. If you have a month-to-month lease....that's still a lease.

Call a lawyer. You can get a free consultation, tell them the details and they'll tell you what they think and then a price for how much they would charge. You don't have to hire them. It's free advice and better than a bunch of goons.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I say this as someone who has been given eviction notices before. You don't even always go to court, usually it's just mediation and you sit and talk to each other while an official is present and work out a deal.

Still call an attorney office though. Talking is free.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
fair enough. it's certainly possible that i'm understimating my rights because i've gotten so used to the world being terrible all the time, but it's also true that i've had a lot of apartments and i've never had a problem with the landlord being actively awful to me. i really just don't want to deal with these people any more

(oh no i said "these people" again i must be... uh... prejudiced against people who are violent and aggressive... question mark? haha)

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Famous goon social graces lol

Good luck with your mice though

lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Yesssssss….hello good ssssssssiiirrrrr. Perhapsssssss I might take in thosssee ssssssavory rodentsesssss. Hmmmmm yessssss….jussssst in time for ssssssupperrr…..

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the landlord just brought me my mail and was super nice and didn't say anything... maybe they're more willing to just leave me alone than i thought. i suspect this might be a situation where i can just put them in my car when the bug man comes (that's how they found out, the bug man has a key and he told on me. rude)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

precision posted:

the landlord just brought me my mail and was super nice and didn't say anything... maybe they're more willing to just leave me alone than i thought. i suspect this might be a situation where i can just put them in my car when the bug man comes (that's how they found out, the bug man has a key and he told on me. rude)

1 star that mother fucker

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

it's actually kind of baffling, because even in places like Tennessee i've never encountered a landlord who really just cares more about what kind of person i am than about whether i'm quiet and clean and nice mice

I'm just messing. Hope you can keep your friends.

Any update?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Duck and Cover posted:

Actually this is probably a bad idea you shouldn't eat your landlord.

Why not

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

blight rhino posted:

I'm just messing. Hope you can keep your friends.

Any update?

i haven't done anything yet. i'm considering not moving, though. if i have to give them away no matter what, i might as well not bother moving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

precision posted:

i suspect this might be a situation where i can just put them in my car when the bug man comes (that's how they found out, the bug man has a key and he told on me. rude)

Uh, did you agree to have that guy come in? It might depend on your state, but I'm pretty sure your landlord has to give notice that they're gonna come in to your place unless its some kind of emergency