Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

*busts down wall to get into the thread as audience hoots and titters*
"Hey everybody, ah, hah, ho, ya, so ah, I see I'm not too late then, to ah, just wedge in a dig at Catholics on this topic?"

*applause sign flashing crowd standing and screaming, loving it*

It wasn't a dig at Catholics, it was specifically a dig at the Catholic church's orphanages in Ireland last century in my post here (I try to always be very careful with labels). The nuns in them really did kill a whole lot of babies, who were perfectly healthy when they were taken (literally abducted from single mothers sometimes "for their own good") to those orphanages, largely through starvation. And they covered up the deaths. I saw a shocking documentary about it recently. It left quite an impression on me.

A dig at any institution's most regrettable actions through history is not IMO unnecessary, as those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it. And, from what I saw in the documentary, even bringing the aforementioned abuses/child killings to light at all has been quite the journey, and I'm sure many of an institutional bent would like to bury it again, so to speak, fast.

I have nothing against the 1.3 billion Roman Catholics on the planet currently (count 'em!) generally, or those of the past or future. God bless them all. Even the Pope. I've met and know many nice ones (Catholics not Popes). Well maybe not "God bless child abusers and their excusers/protectors" though. Jesus himself foretold extremely dark (and deserved!) judgements for them. But anyway God chooses who He'll bless, not me. And of course abusers have always been a small minority of Catholics.

Just clarifying where I was coming from, whether you believe it or not, Beef. Due notice: I don't wish to, and will not, enter into debate with non-Christians justifying my religious belief on an internet forum because in my experience it's an absolute waste of time. This is not a comment on your own beliefs.

And fwiw it's not unusual for me to jump into threads without reading much of them with a quick post if I see the opportunity for a good joke, my Rap Sheet attests to that. What is a "good joke" is of course a matter of opinion. :) Sorry you didn't get a laugh.

tldr: Professor BigBadSteve explains the joke.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Missouri I-44.jpg

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

GAY

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BigBadSteve posted:

It wasn't a dig at Catholics, it was specifically a dig at the Catholic church's orphanages in Ireland last century in my post here (I try to always be very careful with labels). The nuns in them really did kill a whole lot of babies, who were perfectly healthy when they were taken (literally abducted from single mothers sometimes "for their own good") to those orphanages, largely through starvation. And they covered up the deaths. I saw a shocking documentary about it recently. It left quite an impression on me.

A dig at any institution's most regrettable actions through history is not IMO unnecessary, as those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it. And, from what I saw in the documentary, even bringing the aforementioned abuses/child killings to light at all has been quite the journey, and I'm sure many of an institutional bent would like to bury it again, so to speak, fast.

I have nothing against the 1.3 billion Roman Catholics on the planet currently (count 'em!) generally, or those of the past or future. God bless them all. Even the Pope. I've met and know many nice ones (Catholics not Popes). Well maybe not "God bless child abusers and their excusers/protectors" though. Jesus himself foretold extremely dark (and deserved!) judgements for them. But anyway God chooses who He'll bless, not me. And of course abusers have always been a small minority of Catholics.

Just clarifying where I was coming from, whether you believe it or not, Beef. Due notice: I don't wish to, and will not, enter into debate with non-Christians justifying my religious belief on an internet forum because in my experience it's an absolute waste of time. This is not a comment on your own beliefs.

And fwiw it's not unusual for me to jump into threads without reading much of them with a quick post if I see the opportunity for a good joke, my Rap Sheet attests to that. What is a "good joke" is of course a matter of opinion. :) Sorry you didn't get a laugh.

Doesn't really seem like that funny of a joke

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.

BigBadSteve posted:

Nice post idiot

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Billboard gay so what

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

BigBadSteve posted:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you can't bring up the catholic church's history of systematic baby murder itt unless you can find a billboard about it

post the billboard and it's fair game, them's the rules

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

you can't bring up the catholic church's history of systematic baby murder itt unless you can find a billboard about it

What if it's less of a billboard and more of a 'I was raised protestant but then became an angry internet atheist as an adult but I remember my aunt talking some crazy as poo poo about them Catholics which I never really bothered to even read Wikipedia about because gently caress did you see how long that article is? I ain't reading that. Anyhow I here they molest kids and pray to the pope and the statues is magic and poo poo or whatever it's basically satanic witchcraft anyhow that's what my aunt told me back before I figured out the REAL truth that god is fake as hell bro'

Can I use that or what because that seems like a common argument and thing that I see a lot is that good?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

put it on a billboard and you can use it. it's a pretty simple loophole really.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Bad Purchase posted:

put it on a billboard and you can use it. it's a pretty simple loophole really.

There you go

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

precision posted:

i'm just messing around, i think it's a good idea to accelerate maturity whenever possible. its frankly a tremendous waste and a boffo size capitalism sin to have kids be infantilized for so long. yeah yeah, this creates more money circulation in the short term by making a child a net loss for a household, but it neglects the long term benefits of initiating them into the workforce ASAP - something which, perforce, necessitates a basic grasp of all facets of mature Adult Capitalist Unit life, including reproduction

:chloe:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Big Beef City posted:

What if it's less of a billboard and more of a 'I was raised protestant but then became an angry internet atheist as an adult but I remember my aunt talking some crazy as poo poo about them Catholics which I never really bothered to even read Wikipedia about because gently caress did you see how long that article is? I ain't reading that. Anyhow I here they molest kids and pray to the pope and the statues is magic and poo poo or whatever it's basically satanic witchcraft anyhow that's what my aunt told me back before I figured out the REAL truth that god is fake as hell bro'

Can I use that or what because that seems like a common argument and thing that I see a lot is that good?

"if anyone disapproves of nuns starving and abusing irish children, it is because they are an angry internet atheist and probably wearing a fedora"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
What's with the Irish and abject misery? They sure do love that poo poo. Can't get enough of it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hammerite posted:

"if anyone disapproves of nuns starving and abusing irish children, it is because they are an angry internet atheist and probably wearing a fedora"

Can I wear a trilby instead?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Animal-Mother posted:

What's with the Irish and abject misery? They sure do love that poo poo. Can't get enough of it.

It's "My life is so poo poo that I'm just going to lash out at the world in any way I can" syndrome.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hammerite posted:

Yeah

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Yaldabaoth posted:

In my defense, there are people on the far left who do think everything goes when it comes to sexual education regardless of age.

Not really true. At least among teachers, who, you know, TEACH this stuff. There is a concept called "Age appropriate". If a kindergartener sees two men kissing, we don't say, "Yes, and they will engage in anal intercourse later on! Here are some guidebooks!" We might say something like. "Do your parents kiss? They do that to show they love each other, just like the men you saw."

The problems arise because the right sees nothing as age appropriate. They want to avoid the whole conversation. One of the teachers at my school taught Kindergarten for a lot of years. He told me that that for his school, age appropriate amounted to "Families love each other and take care of each other" and "If it's warm and wet and not yours, don't touch it."

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
gently caress the catholic church for real tho

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wdbs3lKEeBE

I am not personally gay, but I support Scawt Tawmpson.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

wankel13b posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wdbs3lKEeBE

I am not personally gay, but I support Scawt Tawmpson.

Dad gay, so what?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If you ever find yourself, unprompted, saying "Jordan Peterson is right, actually...." Just don't.

If you have a point to make and can't make it any other way it's not a good point

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Brother Tadger posted:

Oh no, do you think the pope is okay? Has anyone checked?

He was sad for a little bit but he cheered up when he paid a visit to the child dungeons in his giant gold Palace

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

The Bloop posted:

If you ever find yourself, unprompted, saying "Jordan Peterson is right, actually...." Just don't.

If you have a point to make and can't make it any other way it's not a good point

He's wrong because humans should rise above the laws of nature instead of following them just because we're programmed to think that following the laws of nature is "good".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yaldabaoth posted:

He's wrong because humans should rise above the laws of nature instead of following them just because we're programmed to think that following the laws of nature is "good".

I honestly am not sure what you're getting at because all of this reads like redpill gibberish to me

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Yaldabaoth posted:

Jorp is full of poo poo and doesn't know what he's talking about re: laws of nature, so don't give him another thought except to mock him

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

The Bloop posted:

I honestly am not sure what you're getting at because all of this reads like redpill gibberish to me

Discriminating against trans people is bad but bigots think discriminating against trans people is good because the bigots' brains are neurologically hardwired to discriminate against minorities.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yaldabaoth posted:

Discriminating against trans people is bad but bigots think discriminating against trans people is good because the bigots' brains are neurologically hardwired to discriminate against minorities.

Guess you can't fault them for it then and that'd make you biologically superior to them since you're clearly not bigoted.

Imagine that, after all this you're claiming biological superiority over others.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Powerful energy

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

Guess you can't fault them for it then and that'd make you biologically superior to them since you're clearly not bigoted.

Imagine that, after all this you're claiming biological superiority over others.

Humans are still sapient and should use their sapience to override their biological programming.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

HOW TO MAKE

A FLORIDA MAN

STAY AWAY

JUST SAY "GAY"

BURMA SHAVE

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Overriding biological programming sure sounds like gay straight conversion camps

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

Overriding biological programming sure sounds like gay straight conversion camps

Ok I think I better pull up before I dig myself any deeper.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Yaldabaoth posted:

Humans are still sapient and should use their sapience to override their biological programming.
Believe it or not your sapience is a product of your biological programming, poo poo's not so simple

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I'm enjoying the people on Twitter that are aggressively arguing that any indication of one's spouse to a 6 year old amounts to grooming.

Apparently I got groomed when a teacher got married and changed her name to Mrs Whatever :shrug:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yaldabaoth posted:

transphobia, homophobia and other forms of bigotry are not "biological programming". they are learned and reinforced by culture, not innate or neurological

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

transphobia, homophobia and other forms of bigotry are not "biological programming". they are learned and reinforced by culture, not innate or biological

You're just programmed to be ignorant sorry buddy

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i say we criminalize all programmers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Earwicker posted:

transphobia, homophobia and other forms of bigotry are not "biological programming". they are learned and reinforced by culture, not innate or neurological

Funny how they're so common among human cultures then, almost like it stems from the same evolutionary source regardless of culture.