Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
What happened OP? How did they screw you out of the big bucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
im sorry sir but this is the wendy drivethru

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Idk I didn't feel screwed I got to use a large truck for a reasonable price to move my things. It was fine.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My manservant handles that sort of thing

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Never got the insurance, never needed it. :dukedog:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I went through a moving company and they wanted me to give them extra money not to break poo poo over the quote. I offered them a fresh baked homemade cinnamon roll instead but they didn’t want one. They didn’t break anything. :shrug:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Trollologist posted:

Never got the insurance, never needed it. :dukedog:

They ask me if I want to add another driver but I said "no"
and then had my brother drive the truck :getin:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

styls trill epic posted:

I drove a 22ft Uhaul towing a car from Green Bay to Homestead FL

That's 24 hours of drive time.
Not total trip.
On the road, actively driving time.

Through Chicago.
Through Louisville.
Through Nashville.
Through Atalanta.
Through Miami.

And back.

Yes.

I have driven a Uhaul.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Big Beef City posted:

Not total trip.

Through Chicago.
Through Louisville.
Through Nashville.
Through Atalanta.
Through Miami.

And back.

Yes.

I have driven a Uhaul.

what happened OP. how much did that run you

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Once yeah

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

styls trill epic posted:

what happened OP. how much did that run you

I learned how to drive a Uhaul towing a car really well.
I don't remember because it was about 20 years ago. I can remember it being 'enough to wince at, but actually a lot less than I suspected going into it'.

Honestly though I really don't recall. My memory is telling me that I felt like 'compared to doing a cross town move the rate seemed actually reasonable, but that it was still 'premium' in terms of cost'. Just not "Holy poo poo it's gonna cost what now" territory, that sorta thing.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I rented one for 3 hours in December to move some of our bigger furniture.

It was like $120 I think, but I got some boxes and mats and poo poo too.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

no, sorry

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Big Beef City posted:

I learned how to drive a Uhaul towing a car really well.
I don't remember because it was about 20 years ago. I can remember it being 'enough to wince at, but actually a lot less than I suspected going into it'.

Honestly though I really don't recall. My memory is telling me that I felt like 'compared to doing a cross town move the rate seemed actually reasonable, but that it was still 'premium' in terms of cost'. Just not "Holy poo poo it's gonna cost what now" territory, that sorta thing.

Towed the car OP? That must have been quite a trick. Did you need special attachments for the car? a special license?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
For 19.95 you can rent one of those motherfuckers as depicted in this informative video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLpuq0jyiCE

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Big Beef City posted:

Not total trip.

Through Chicago.
Through Louisville.
Through Nashville.
Through Atalanta.
Through Miami.

And back.

Yes.

I have driven a Uhaul.

jesus christ, man. folks retiring or something?

I drove a U-Haul in Louisville and it was rough. downtown proper was fine, but the edges of downtown where the roads are narrower was not. I hit a curb so hard my friend I was helping move thought I was going to tip over. (I did not think this, inside the truck.) this was the only mishap.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Your typical U-Haul driver

https://youtu.be/-rcz5Ew1lWU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Pontificating rear end posted:

im sorry sir but this is the wendy drivethru

I’m sitting in a Wendy’s drivethru right now, currently eight cars in front of me.

styls trill epic posted:

This thread exists just to trigger people by using OP incorrectly, isn’t it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

styls trill epic posted:

Towed the car OP? That must have been quite a trick. Did you need special attachments for the car? a special license?

They give you a sort of 'car dolly'. You drive the front wheels on it (assuming FWD) and lock em down, and put some magnetic lights on the back of it and a temp plate.
It's like towing a short...heavy trailer.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cyks posted:

I’m sitting in a Wendy’s drivethru right now, currently eight cars in front of me.

What’s your order gonna be? Been wanting to go back for fries and a frosty sometime soon

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
So many shady enterprises and band tours were abruptly ended when they made it impossible to disable the odometer.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I worked with U-Haul at their corporate offices aka "The Towers", as an external vendor for 1.5 years, ama

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

sticksy posted:

I worked with U-Haul at their corporate offices aka "The Towers", as an external vendor for 1.5 years, ama

How was the selection in their vending machines

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
It cost over a dollar a mile bro. What's the secret to getting drat discounts on these suckers?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

i can't use u-haul. it's called u-haul, not i-haul. u have to do it

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i rent a uhaul car carrier every time i go racing because even a rusty rear end open top wood deck trailer is like 3-4k these days, and i don't need to maintain or even worry about breaking the uhaul ones. i just factor it into event costs now

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Cyks posted:

This thread exists just to trigger people by using OP incorrectly, isn’t it.

first epic trill thread, eh?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Several times. Everything worked out fine.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i rent a uhaul car carrier every time i go racing because even a rusty rear end open top wood deck trailer is like 3-4k these days, and i don't need to maintain or even worry about breaking the uhaul ones. i just factor it into event costs now

just drive your are race car to the track there smart guy you ever think of that if it goes so fast?? lol guess what they say about you car guys is right, huh? ...that you don't, you're not thinking about your cars. Heh gottem.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
no, but to show solidarity i rented a ucrane and didn't pick it up

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i dunno, ever rented a uhaul with you OP

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i picked one up, moved across town, put gas in it, and returned it. they didnt gently caress me over. it was fine

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

How was the selection in their vending machines

They had a very lovely cafe in their downstairs lobby, vending machine game was very lovely due to “healthy U-Haul-ers” initiatives.

They do now have a “state of the art” conference center and gym, though:

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/About/U-Haul-Building-New-Conference-And-Fitness-Center-IN-Phoenix-19751/

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLpuq0jyiCE

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I’ve driven several. I got the insurance every time and I’m glad I did because one move I did I had the UHaul parked on the street and some dick driving a Ryder hit the window and smashed it.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Apollodorus posted:

I’ve driven several. I got the insurance every time and I’m glad I did because one move I did I had the UHaul parked on the street and some dick driving a Ryder hit the window and smashed it.

Dang! how much is the insurance

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I have multiple times. It was uneventful and unremarkable each and every time. Pretty handy too.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
over a dollar per mile in this economy bro?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Yeah it went fine.

They're easy to drive bc you're so much taller than everybody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

The only two times I've ever had to rent U-Haul have been for very very short trips.

The first time I bought a bed frame and I was unable to get a home of my car so I rented a little box truck. I got the truck, drove 5 miles to get the bed frame, drove 6 mi back to my apartment and dropped it off. And drove the one mile back to the U-Haul place. It came up to $35 and the gas gauge didn't even move.

Second time was when I was moving out of my apartment into a house down the street and despite getting most of it my old station wagon I was unable to get a lot of the big furniture pieces moved so I did the same thing. I just threw everything in the back of the truck unsecured and tried to gently drive it the 1.5 mi to the house and then unloaded everything. I think it ended up being about $40 because I got the bigger truck so I could do it all in one shot.

Our local U-Haul place is pretty chill and inside of a furniture consignment store so that they can rope you into renting a truck to move the furniture home.

I did however have to help a friend unload a storage unit once which involved riding in the back of one of the 25-ft U-Hauls which was quite a fun experience having 5 people rolling around back there unsecured.

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 27, 2022