Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Yo I heard you like cryptic numbers in your Lost ripoffs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I mean, the radio is all good and fine assuming they're even on Earth or somewhere where people communicate with radio signals. Like what's the "hope" there? Some random person affiliated with this limbo who can communicate with them and tells everyone detailed step by step instructions how to get home? They'd have to be stuck too, the resolution can't possibly be them communicating with the outside world, that's too cheesy.

Nah, they'll get a radio signal and maybe even communicate with something but it'll be either something cryptic ala number stations or something extremely unsettling.

Also I liked the nightmare sequence, felt one of the more "realistic" nightmare depictions I've seen in fiction with all the scene changes and all

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Bottle trees for that Deep Southern Folklore. Nice. The bottles hold a spirit if I remember correctly. The years could could correspond to the various monsters who all seem from of the past.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Argue posted:

I know he's a techbro but I'm rooting for that rear end in a top hat guy to solve the mystery because it's always baffled me how these shows don't have characters try to figure this poo poo out at all. I like that there's two of them trying to do so in this one! I just hope that arc doesn't end with "magic, it's beyond using science to figure it out".

i mean..it is magic

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Oh snap could it be aliens?. That cliffhanger!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Episode was "the quiet before the storm" sort of thing. Not a lot actually happened.

(voices) So did Sara actually hear Boyd's wife? I think that's what we're supposed to think anyway.

Dessel posted:

I mean, the radio is all good and fine assuming they're even on Earth or somewhere where people communicate with radio signals. Like what's the "hope" there? Some random person affiliated with this limbo who can communicate with them and tells everyone detailed step by step instructions how to get home? They'd have to be stuck too, the resolution can't possibly be them communicating with the outside world, that's too cheesy.
Finding out they're not alone would be a sort of a success.

Slamhound posted:

Bottle trees for that Deep Southern Folklore. Nice. The bottles hold a spirit if I remember correctly. The years could could correspond to the various monsters who all seem from of the past.
Interesting. So did Boyd just release a bunch of new monsters? :ohdear:
https://thewinstonhours.wordpress.com/2017/10/09/the-bottle-tree/ https://www.appalachianhistory.net/2018/06/bottle-trees.html
code:
"Legend had it that empty glass bottles placed outside, but near, 
the home could capture roving (usually evil) spirits at night, 
and the spirit would be destroyed the next day in the sunshine."
Hopefully they all burnt up a long time ago.

Disposable Scud posted:

Oh snap could it be aliens?. That cliffhanger!

It's either a lighthouse or a ship. Or both. The (silly looking) shaking was stormy waters. But really, it could be anything. :iiam:

itry fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 4, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

itry posted:

It's either a lighthouse or a ship. Or both. The (silly looking) shaking was stormy waters. But really, it could be anything. :iiam:
I'm wondering if the song, "If I Had a Boat," was meant to be not only a signal from his wife, but an actual hint to get a boat.

I'm absolutely loving the show. I had two thoughts about the "rules":The show cuts away from Kevin after he gets slashed, and the door is still closed at that point right? Later, Trudy sees the door open; maybe the creature that had seduced Kevin slashed him but let him attempt to escape enough to open the door before dragging him back in, to leave it open.
-after that, Trudy entered the bathroom and they closed the door behind her right? Maybe the creatures having closed the door themselves means that it doesn't function in the same way, allowing them to open it again?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

CODChimera posted:

i mean..it is magic

Depending on the writers, magic can still have rules or be understood to some degree. What I'm saying is I hope they manage to figure out useful things because if they just realize "oh magic completely defies the scientific method, so doing any sort of further investigation with our skillsets is futile" then that would just be disappointing.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Martman posted:

I'm wondering if the song, "If I Had a Boat," was meant to be not only a signal from his wife, but an actual hint to get a boat.

Did the Matthews try to have a sing-along going before they got Lost "lost"? :tinfoil:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

itry posted:

I am so excited to see the conclusion of this - what an eerie scene that was.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
The radio tower project has major Lost season 1 triangulating the transceiver vibes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

They seem to understand that they'll be dinged for Lostlike behavior. I especially enjoyed the scene where Boyd asked Steven King's Carrie, original character (do not steal) a question and she says "I don't want to talk about that" and he's like well tough poo poo the dead walk, we communicate" and headed off a :lost: Brand "why don't these idiots share information?!" moment.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

boquiabierta posted:

The radio tower project has major Lost season 1 triangulating the transceiver vibes.

Hughmoris posted:

Time is a flat circle. Jim is going to try and get the transmitter working at the house, and he'll be hit in the back of the head with a 2x4 just as he gets a signal.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I thought the tent scene was pretty clearly the tent being dragged to a new place, not just shaken.

The magic electricity/running water, livestock just appearing, etc has me thinking Jade was initially right about this being an escape room, just not one built/run by people.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

boquiabierta posted:

I honestly think it would be great if the radio tower ended up being the plan that works this season (or ends up working in some way).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dude named Desmond gonna be on the other end.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Rhyno posted:

See you in another life, brotha

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Rhyno posted:

Ana Lucia makes her triumphant return

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Arrrthritis posted:

I honestly think it would be great if the radio tower ended up being the plan that works this season (or ends up working in some way).
It'd be great if they're able to communicate with someone.

"Ok, tell us where you are so we can send help."

"Ummm idk, it's a magical spot that exists in multiple locations throughout the world..... also don't ever actually come here or you'll get stuck too. It may have something to do with birds though, so keep an eye out."

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Rhyno posted:

God I hope so. What an amazing character he was.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The Lost threads were so much fun when the show was airing. Hopefully From can hit that status.

Also, whoever came up with the title for this show should be slapped. Twice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Webbeh posted:

God I hope so. What an amazing character he was.

I became a fan of his for life. I began watching the 100 based solely on him being cast.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

They open the tent and look around, seeing they've been dragged to a boat. "Is this.... Penny's boat?"

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Medullah posted:

They open the tent and look around, seeing they've been dragged to a boat. "Is this.... Penny's boat?"

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
lmao that final shot. Enter: Season 2 Cast

Overall an enjoyable season. Very Lost-like in a good way.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That was the most :lost: ending ever.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

The only thing I got from this show is that I should watch Lost (though apparently they don't answer their mystery box genre well either).

I mean, I "watched" it a bit but I was younger and you didn't really watch shows in such a religious manner because prestige TV/overarching narrative wasn't really a thing yet.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Lost is great, especially if you take it for the character work and accept that there won't be a satisfying wrap up to all the island's mysteries. Expect that nothing will be explained and then be pleasantly surprised when some things are.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Pretty much all significant mysteries on Lost get explained. And I don’t understand how anyone can watch 6 seasons of Lost, and be unhappy about a minor mystery that was never fully explained.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

This is literally everything I want from a Lost like series. I'll even forgive the knock-off Hallelujah instrumental.

E: this hasn't been renewed yet, btw. Truly following the path of the Lost-like if it's an one and done cancellation

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 10, 2022

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This is literally everything I want from a Lost like series. I'll even forgive the knock-off Hallelujah instrumental.

This. That finale was fantastic.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

What the heck is happening :confused:
The place has literal layers. The cable just ends. Victor out of nowhere. Boyd is stuck in a chimney until next season.

Is Jim screwed now because of the hole and the approaching darkness? I thought the ending was in the past for a bit, because I don't remember that yellow car being there, but the insides of the cafe seems the same.

Oasx posted:

[...] I don’t understand how anyone can watch 6 seasons of Lost [...]

Yeah, me neither :v:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

E: this hasn't been renewed yet, btw. Truly following the path of the Lost-like if it's an one and done cancellation

Oh no :ohdear:

Edit: Drawings (Ep.9)

itry fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 10, 2022

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Did Abby become one of the monsters?

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 11, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The Smoke Monster Cometh.

That was an enjoyable season of television. Now I have to find something to fill the weekly void that this and Severance have left.

*Also, what the hell is up with that radio voice speaking to Jim.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
So, was there any reason they didn't build the radio receiver inside? That seems like it would have worked better than what they did since they'd have to a) leave it outside at night (exposed to the elements/with the monsters) or b) have to dismantle it and bring it inside at night.

Kinda surprised at Boyd spending the whole episode telling Sara the voices she's hearing can't be trusted and they don't need to listen to them, then the second he hears someone yell for help he starts running towards them, and when he sees his dead wife he immediately goes to her.. I get that he's only human, but I figured he'd be the last person to fall for that.

And that last shot of the bus pulling up while the radio plays about goin home doesn't bode well for the (current) main cast.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 11, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

boquiabierta posted:

Did Abby become one of the monsters?
I don't think so. She definitely didn't visually turn into one, just grabbed Boyd and did a spooky scream. I think it was more in line with Jade's vision of a dead soldier chasing him; maybe the evil spider queen uses visions of ghosts? who knows

Anyway the bus was from Grand Rapids, right? aka Kristi's fiancee is definitely showin' up, get ready for an awkward season 2 love triangle (or hey maybe a polycule)

Was hoping for a more insanely WTF imagery reveal, but as long as this show gets renewed and keeps up the pace I'm still completely satisfied.

edit: my current theory is that this basically is an escape room, set up by godly or alien figures for stupid, cruel, and/or inscrutable reasons. It would be a good way to get around the expectations of Lost stuff, where so many of the "answers" to mysteries were simply that a weird magic thing existed just because. I really feel like there is a stronger undercurrent of malevolence in the origins of the From space, although it also seems clear that there are different magical entities with entirely different goals working to influence people.

e2: lol, the show's dumb title making it hard to google has resulted in there being two separate From subreddits... maybe one is the Colony House version.

Also now I'm doubting myself about Kristi, she mentioned trying to get out of Grand Rapids right?

Martman fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 11, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wait wtf?
https://twitter.com/HaroldPerrineau/status/1513336323540762630
edit: nvm, he followed up saying "10 is the finale" and seems to have made a oopsie, I guess he was referring to the cable release

Martman fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 11, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Martman posted:

Wait wtf?
https://twitter.com/HaroldPerrineau/status/1513336323540762630
edit: nvm, he followed up saying "10 is the finale" and seems to have made a oopsie, I guess he was referring to the cable release

That would have been the ultimate twist.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Is there a reason that cable is two episodes behind? That seems like a pretty good way to ensure that people pirate the show instead of waiting another two weeks for it to come out normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Narmi posted:

Is there a reason that cable is two episodes behind? That seems like a pretty good way to ensure that people pirate the show instead of waiting another two weeks for it to come out normally.
Desmond must have forgotten to press the button a couple times