Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wonder if they’re gonna keep the kid that played the son next season if there even is a next season or if they’re gonna cast someone that looks age appropriate.

What's wrong with the current actor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Oasx posted:

He's aging too fast. Fans gonna start coming up with progeria theories

angerbeet posted:

“Oh no the monsters got Ethan but he’s ok, he’s just fifteen now and looks and sounds different.”

*voice audibly cracking* “It’s the cromenockle!!”

Turn him into a CGI character. Everyone liked baby Yoda and the uncanny valley feeling fits the show just fine

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

GABA ghoul posted:

He's aging too fast. Fans gonna start coming up with progeria theories

Yeah the kid actor is just a kid actor, not much to do about that, it’s just the show’s timeline has had them there for what, two weeks? Kid can’t suddenly have a moustache.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Just have MC Gainey abduct him from the show when he looks too old.

Take the boy in white too, he clearly had a growth spurt since season 1.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Oasx posted:

IMDb says he’s like 11 so he’s just gonna look a lot older in 1-2 years.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wonder if they’re gonna keep the kid that played the son next season if there even is a next season or if they’re gonna cast someone that looks age appropriate.

That kid. At least in the second season he improved to being one of the worst child actors I've ever seen instead of what he was in the first season which was, I dunno, like a child who accidentally wandered into an opening casting call at a mall and they just gave him the role?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Just do a 1-2 year time skip, and give them the opportunity to cull the cast without showing, and have a new status quo.

They can then skip all the baby pregnancy drama.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The actor that plays Ethan makes him so creepy on accident, that I think Ethan should be the monster. He looks right out of the Omen or something.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
as someone who wasn't traumatized by lost like y'all i'm enjoying this

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I want Victor to turn villain, he’s just been pretending to be a stupid child. But really he’s the one who’s been behind it all.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

also it's interesting that y'all settled on thinking of the monsters as vampires when my mind immediately jumped to them being the Fae - like, the old kind that steals babies and runs down travellers in the wilderness and poo poo. needing to have something to ward them off at your door, the way they speak in lies, association with deep woodland, etc. that and the constant references to stories and mythic arcs (and for god's sake the last episode of S2 is called Once Upon A Time!) tells me this show is going to be heavy on references to old world folklore.

and I'm not the only one, because some googling turned up people with similar speculation to this, specifically referring to this thing: http://gotireland.com/2012/10/24/irish-faerie-folk-of-yore-and-yesterday-the-sluagh/

quote:

And humans are still very much their prey. The Sluagh exists on stealing the souls of the living, and especially the dying. Huddling and hiding in forgotten and dark places, they lay in wait for nightfall. Once the sun has left the sky, they strike out, in what, to the untrained or unsuspecting eye, appears to be a vast and ominous flock of large ravens or other birds. Flapping wings, screeching, and a whirlwind of undulating shadows are all you’d witness as the Sluagh descends for an attack. Owing to the folklore of the Wild Hunt, countless cultures and legends still link black birds (and especially ravens) as evil omens or signals of upcoming misfortune.

their arrival heralded by ravens/crows?

quote:

The second means to call the Sluagh, is through the silent hopelessness of one’s heart. All of us have felt that crushing weight of sadness or loss at one time or another. Long has it been said that a person could “die of a broken heart.” But, is it the sadness, or the Sluagh, that finally finishes you off? Only the dead know…and they’re staying frustratingly mum on the subject.

the whole thing about how Fromville feeds off your misery?

quote:

Be warned: once you’ve drawn the attention of the Wild Hunt, only by placing another in their path will you dissuade them. You must be willing to sacrifice another to be taken in your stead.

this specifically applies to the bloodworms and how apparently they only infect one person at a time. still, lotta parallels

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 29, 2023

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

President Ark posted:

as someone who wasn't traumatized by lost like y'all i'm enjoying this

You have a couple years to watch all 121 episodes while waiting for From season 3. Join ussssssssss.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The problem is that LOST literally threw in everything and the kitchen sink when it comes to conspiracies, mysteries, etc. Number stations, mystic numerology, lost continents/civilizations, Jonny Quest 70's super science, Eastern-flavored 70's pseudoscience, ancient Egypt, psychic children, ghosts, God-like entities bound by specific rules they needed to follow....I'm probably forgetting a few here. But my point is that it's hard for a mystery show to try and do it's own thing when LOST basically dipped it's toes into all those things that kind of tickle the mystery part of our brain (even if they didn't follow-up on large numbers of them).

I think FROM is doing a really good job of being it's own thing, and that especially at the end of Season 2, the comparisons are really not apt anymore. Like was said above, this is giving off more of a Dark Tower vibe far more than anything LOST ever did.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That ending had some serious LOST vibes though. I was waiting for her to say, “We need to go back to the island forest Kate Jim! LOST had a major influence on TV besides the mystery stuff. They are one of the first shows to lower their season episode counts for one thing.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

President Ark posted:

also it's interesting that y'all settled on thinking of the monsters as vampires when my mind immediately jumped to them being the Fae - like, the old kind that steals babies and runs down travellers in the wilderness and poo poo. needing to have something to ward them off at your door, the way they speak in lies, association with deep woodland, etc. that and the constant references to stories and mythic arcs (and for god's sake the last episode of S2 is called Once Upon A Time!) tells me this show is going to be heavy on references to old world folklore.

They're not specifically vampires a la Bela Lugosi, but the whole "invite them in" trope is reminiscent of the rules-lawyering in Buffy and Angel. Obviously they're some different kind of monster menace, but if there's rules around them, they're somewhat less manic pixies and more a structured menace. The autopsy at least showed that they're more like human-shaped automatons or zombie-like ruined humans maybe.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've read a couple interviews where they explicitly mentioning trying to avoid LOST trauma and that they have a plan and story they want to tell in the 10 episode chunks. The real test will have to be surviving the writers strike and coming back with that original plan still around.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The finale wasted too much time on meaningless story points. Maybe I'm an outlier but I didn't give two shits about the wedding, which dragged on for way too long. And for some reason we had multiple scenes of Tabitha saying she wants to go to the tower, and Jim saying please don't.

The show has potential and is entertaining enough to watch but it feels like it's leaving so much on the table.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The problem is that LOST literally threw in everything and the kitchen sink when it comes to conspiracies, mysteries, etc. Number stations, mystic numerology, lost continents/civilizations, Jonny Quest 70's super science, Eastern-flavored 70's pseudoscience, ancient Egypt, psychic children, ghosts, God-like entities bound by specific rules they needed to follow....I'm probably forgetting a few here. But my point is that it's hard for a mystery show to try and do it's own thing when LOST basically dipped it's toes into all those things that kind of tickle the mystery part of our brain (even if they didn't follow-up on large numbers of them).

I think FROM is doing a really good job of being it's own thing, and that especially at the end of Season 2, the comparisons are really not apt anymore. Like was said above, this is giving off more of a Dark Tower vibe far more than anything LOST ever did.

But the end of season 2 could end up almost a direct comparison to what happen in LOST (see my avatar, it had to have some influence on it). I have no problem people comparing the two, but I would just avoid comparing them quality wise. I do agree From has reached into the Stephen King bag of tricks more than LOST ever did and that is a fair comparison also.

Also, I am over the whole I am traumatized over the LOST finale. The ending (which I am overall middle of the road about) was disappointing at the time, but the journey made it well worth it. It is nowhere disappointing as something like GoT (which I would argue the outcome of GoT is not the problem, it is they rushed it and didn't earn it) . It is so stupid when someone refuses to watch something because Lindelof is involved. Get over it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Beleive me, everyone is loving sick and tired of the people who watched LOST

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
We're back!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So I guess they weren’t writing any episodes before the strike?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
It's getting hard to be excited over renewals since shows can and do get cancelled even when they're basically finished.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

We're back!

:sickos:

Gonna need some ankhoooey gangtags by the time season 3 rolls around.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

uXs posted:

It's getting hard to be excited over renewals since shows can and do get cancelled even when they're basically finished.

If the show ever gets cancelled and they don’t make the headline “I Gotta Go”, I’ll be very disappointed.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
At least we get a third season, with all of the cancelations going on at the moment.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Great to hear about seaosn 3, but this writer strike is going to make everything feel like forever before we get a new season. Lots of shows that would have been 2024 are now going to be 2025.

Khanstant posted:

Beleive me, everyone is loving sick and tired of the people who watched LOST

Whose fault is that? It is not like From avoided leaning into the LOST pedigree any. They wanted the LOST comparisons.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I get what you're saying, but this isn't the only show where LOST watchers have their nam flashbacks at the slightest hint of any undisclosed information.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Alright since there’s nothing else to talk about for 2-3 years what the gently caress is the meme/joke/deal with “people traumatized by lost”? Someone please explain it to me I don’t get it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Alright since there’s nothing else to talk about for 2-3 years what the gently caress is the meme/joke/deal with “people traumatized by lost”? Someone please explain it to me I don’t get it.

:lost: was a big, huge mystery box show that ran for a billion years and they touched on all the conspiracy / mythology / whatever themes over the years, and it ended up being a big old greeting card with a cat saying "hang in there" at the end. The show started out interesting and turned out stupid. That's the extent of the joke.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I know what lost is I watched the last season live with a small watch party. I just don’t understand the part where people are jokingly or seriously traumatized by it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I know what lost is I watched the last season live with a small watch party. I just don’t understand the part where people are jokingly or seriously traumatized by it.

Traumatized is hyperbole (I hope :ohdear:), it was just a very long show that didn't have the pay-off people expected. Of course this was back in the day and the theory-crafting was wild, I suspect nowadays we're as television viewers more amenable to having stupid poo poo happen for no reason. Which might be happening with From, we don't know, the Bobby shower scene ending was ambiguous.

It's like wondering why people were upset about the ending of Battlestar Galactica (modern version), it was loving dumb that they were all God's angels in the end and gently caress you that's why. Because the show spent a lot of time building suspense around the idea of "ooh, what are these visions", etc.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Boris Galerkin posted:

This explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5RkjxU2AIQ

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Lost was good, so was bsg. Their endings weren't the greatest or sucked but that didn't make the rest of the show bad

President Ark
May 16, 2010

five bucks says an episode of the show is named Que Sera, Sara/Que Sara, Sera

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Boris Galerkin posted:

See my title.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

President Ark posted:

five bucks says an episode of the show is named Que Sera, Sara/Que Sara, Sera

It will be “Que Sarah, Sarah” and she will die in it. Maybe it will be “Que, Sarah? Sarah?”

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

President Ark posted:

and I'm not the only one, because some googling turned up people with similar speculation to this, specifically referring to this thing: http://gotireland.com/2012/10/24/irish-faerie-folk-of-yore-and-yesterday-the-sluagh/

their arrival heralded by ravens/crows?

the whole thing about how Fromville feeds off your misery?

this specifically applies to the bloodworms and how apparently they only infect one person at a time. still, lotta parallels
I thought of fae too, particularly the sluahg. Plus they come out at night and steal souls. The first episode had Ethan worried about the fairy monster even, from the Lake of Tears.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also someone on Reddit pointed out that the Scottish word "fae" means "from" which, lol

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The main character’s actor was literally a prominent character from LOST, they knew what they were doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

The main character’s actor was literally a prominent character from LOST, they knew what they were doing.

Let's be fair, he was also a prominent character in Oz. So ultimately this will all end up being a cross-over with SVU and OC, with Chris Meloni taking down the demons by punching them real hard and Olivia interrogating whatever wizard that is in charge :hmmyes: