Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I thought that was kind of boring for a season finale, no real big sting or gamechanger like Lost had so many times

Watch Lost if you haven't. It has much stronger characters and they actually do answer most of the mysteries. Lost was like the number one example of people being bad at watching TV shows. The live thread for the finale was ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Those cave drawings give me The Forest (game) vibes, btw.

Narmi posted:

So, was there any reason they didn't build the radio receiver inside? That seems like it would have worked better than what they did since they'd have to a) leave it outside at night (exposed to the elements/with the monsters) or b) have to dismantle it and bring it inside at night.

Kinda surprised at Boyd spending the whole episode telling Sara the voices she's hearing can't be trusted and they don't need to listen to them, then the second he hears someone yell for help he starts running towards them, and when he sees his dead wife he immediately goes to her.. I get that he's only human, but I figured he'd be the last person to fall for that.

And that last shot of the bus pulling up while the radio plays about goin home doesn't bode well for the (current) main cast.
It seemed like Boyd was being supernaturally drawn to it. He was the only one who heard the voice, and he did seem to act weirdly ooc.

And I assume they didn't put the receiver inside because of Drama.

boquiabierta posted:

Did Abby become one of the monsters?
I hope it was just an hallucination. She probably can't be the voice that spoke to Sara (if that's who it was) and that thing at the same time.

Hughmoris posted:

*Also, what the hell is up with that radio voice speaking to Jim.
:shrug: It was a classic "the call is coming from inside the house" moment.

Martman posted:

edit: my current theory is that this basically is an escape room, set up by godly or alien figures for stupid, cruel, and/or inscrutable reasons. It would be a good way to get around the expectations of Lost stuff, where so many of the "answers" to mysteries were simply that a weird magic thing existed just because. I really feel like there is a stronger undercurrent of malevolence in the origins of the From space, although it also seems clear that there are different magical entities with entirely different goals working to influence people.
It's the aliens from Riverworld :tinfoil:

itry fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 11, 2022

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

itry posted:

I hope it was just an hallucination. She probably can't be the voice that spoke to Abby (if that's who it was) and that thing at the same time.

What voice spoke to Abby? Do you mean the voices that spoke to Sara? As far as I recall, Abby didn't hear voices, she just lost her mind convinced they were stuck in a nightmare.

Man I really want to rewatch Lost now but starting with like season 3. I don't think I need to see the beach season and the hatch season again. But goddd was that show fun when we were in the midst of it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yes, I meant Sara :sweatdrop:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I enjoyed this show but I don't think I'll be coming back for S2. I'm so tired of this everything-and-the-kitchen-sink magical bullshit mysteries. I like the moment-to-moment character interactions, the ending stinger looks pretty interesting with potential new cast, but all the other stuff is just extremely meh and I can't see it resolving in a satisfactory way.

I think the moment a magical mysterious child appeared I knew where this is headed. I'm just over this type of story.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
No word on season 2 renewal?

Someone needs to spend a night in the box...

*Also, how lovely must it have been in the early days where they were literally hiding in a hole every night? Compared to that, those comfy houses don't look too bad.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 12, 2022

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hughmoris posted:

No word on season 2 renewal?

Someone needs to spend a night in the box...

*Also, how lovely must it have been in the early days where they were literally hiding in a hole every night? Compared to that, those comfy houses don't look too bad.

I want to know what Victor has been doing for the last 40 years or w/e. No way he survived by staying in a hole somewhere.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

itry posted:

I want to know what Victor has been doing for the last 40 years or w/e. No way he survived by staying in a hole somewhere.
I was gonna say it jokingly, but maybe he's actually still pretty young and got "time-skipped" by some magic poo poo. Or put in some kind of hibernation for a long time or something. It would help to explain him seeming kinda childlike, but who knows

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

grate deceiver posted:

I'm so tired of this everything-and-the-kitchen-sink magical bullshit mysteries.

:lost:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Martman posted:

I was gonna say it jokingly, but maybe he's actually still pretty young and got "time-skipped" by some magic poo poo. Or put in some kind of hibernation for a long time or something. It would help to explain him seeming kinda childlike, but who knows

He's probably been on his own since he was 10. If anything he should be weirder. Or dead.

Hughmoris posted:

That was an enjoyable season of television. Now I have to find something to fill the weekly void that this and Severance have left.

Back to randomly checking out new pilots. :sigh:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
SpolerTV reported that this show has been renewed, and they're always right about this kind of thing.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Open Source Idiom posted:

SpolerTV reported that this show has been renewed, and they're always right about this kind of thing.

Link? I heard other rumors about it being renewed but the abysmal title makes it hard to google.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

Link? I heard other rumors about it being renewed but the abysmal title makes it hard to google.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2022/04/from-renewed-for-2nd-season-by-epix.html?m=1

Other sites are reporting it now too, fwiw.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hughmoris posted:

They should add a subtitle for the next season. From: (There and) Back Again.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

From 2: To

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
:hai:

I figured they'd have to be fools not to renew it and I can't wait for the new season!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
From Season 2 and To Season From.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

itry posted:

He's probably been on his own since he was 10. If anything he should be weirder. Or dead.

It seems like The Boy in White helped him survive or pick up the tricks to survive on his own until Boyd showed up.

Solid season, lots of hanging threads left for season 2. The bus with (probably) Kristi's fiancee, the underground caves, the spider queen, the lighthouse, Boyd in a well, Sara's connection to the voices, the random dates in the bottle tree that probably match up with the dates carved into the wall that Tabitha saw in her dream, Jade's vision from colonial times. I'm sure I missed some here too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just watched the first season, so I’m pulling this thread back up to say that I liked it. I notice a lot of Lost alumni in the credits, so I hope this will be a refinement of the elements that made Lost so enjoyable, especially the series-long mysteries. I like that the show is encouraging the audience to figure it out, up to the point of putting questions to think about on a big wall.

Something I didn’t see in the thread: the monsters can’t just be dedicated to tormenting and killing the people, as they don’t do a tenth of what they could to demoralize and antagonize the people. They don’t disturb graves or put dead loved ones in front of the doorways, or set buildings on fire, or destroy the crops and kill the animals. Like the difference between howling and whispering, they seem to be following a more complex set of rules that involves but is not dedicated to killing and tormenting the people trapped there. I wondered if perhaps they’re not physically present but just like spirits or pure mind, tearing people apart with telekinesis or something. But they can’t be psychic either, because then they would have known where all the spider holes were and everyone was hiding before the people found those ward/mezuzah rocks. They might just be spying on people by listening in from underground during the day and also have some kind of persuasive effect. Also some of them have worn and dirty clothes.

Also it’s weird that a bunch of 1960s Americans would make ancient-looking cave paintings in the style of ancient American Indian art. I’m sure that cave painting isn’t in the style of a particular culture, but it looks reminiscent of Puebloan petroglyphs in the American southwest. I’m disappointed that Victor’s body covers most of the giant red Cthulhu thing in the middle that seems to precede a ritual with a bunch of graves and turn most of the white figures red, if there’s a narrative reading left-to-right in that image.

The town also seems like it has to be a facsimile of a real place or a creation of that place, as if a real street were transported from somewhere else, the houses would all have proper wiring and plumbing regardless of whatever magical furnishings could appear later.

Anyway, I’m into it. I like that there’s just a small bit of relationship drama that is reasonable for the characters’ circumstances but that they don’t sweat basically irrelevant stuff like the daughter getting blown off by Fatima moments before a monster attack.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

iirc, according to Viktor, the drawings were made by the creatures.

I AM GRANDO posted:

mezuzah rocks

:hmmyes:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Come back from the dead, thread! Season two premieres April 23rd.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Season two premieres :woop: ... April :eng99:

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I forget, did the characters ever wonder about why only people in the continental US ended up in the town? Seems strange that whatever entity chose them (or whatever) didn't want anyone from, say, Ontario or Tijuana.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

May as well ask why the town looks vaguely like 60's Americana and not 19th century Bavaria or w/e.

Don't budget shame.

Edit: Sherrif guy had that map in his office trying to track where people were when they hit that mystery road. So I guess the answer is yeah, kinda.

itry fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 20, 2023

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Recently watched the first season and enjoyed it for all of the issues. I was a TVIV live watcher for Lost so hopefully this won’t be a repeat!

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
when does this come baaaaaaack

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

boquiabierta posted:

when does this come baaaaaaack

About two weeks.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
We need a new thread title - any takers for something that is actually clever?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Webbeh posted:

From : If you found this thread by searching your Google skills are legendary

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

angerbeet posted:

Recently watched the first season and enjoyed it for all of the issues. I was a TVIV live watcher for Lost so hopefully this won’t be a repeat!

live watching Lost was great, each episode had a thread. pretty crazy how TVIV traffic has fallen off so hard

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Webbeh posted:

TV IV > Yes, "From" really is the actual full name of the TV show

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What does the current thread title even mean? That the son is a moron? It’s true, I guess.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Tiggum posted:

TV IV > Yes, "From" really is the actual full name of the TV show

From Epix and From the mind of John Griffin: Yes, "From" really is the actual full name of the TV show

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

CODChimera posted:

live watching Lost was great, each episode had a thread. pretty crazy how TVIV traffic has fallen off so hard

I had a cable TV tuner card in my computer and made gifs by pasting frame after frame into a gif editor, before the pirated copies were available. Fish biscuits!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

I AM GRANDO posted:

What does the current thread title even mean? That the son is a moron? It’s true, I guess.

A dated and lazy attempt at pairing with LOST because of the genre and lead actor. 🤷‍♀️

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Webbeh posted:

A dated and lazy attempt at pairing with LOST because of the genre and lead actor. 🤷‍♀️

But Sheriff Michael From Lost’s son doesn’t get his brains sucked out, does he?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

itry posted:

Those cave drawings give me The Forest (game) vibes, btw.

I binged the first season in three days after stumbling on this thread. Great name for a TV show, guys. A+ discoverability. But the show itself was excellent. As someone who sat through all of Lost, I am a bit worried about them trying to bring in too many new elements because we all remember how that worked out for Lost, but hopefully this time it'll go better.

Thought about the cave drawing: could those be simple representations of scenes we saw in the show, and possibly scenes we haven't seen yet? For some reason that scene to the left of Victor reminds me of the scene where he's digging a bunch of graves and Donna(?) goes out to yell at him for freaking everyone out. To the right of Victor we see that trapezoid (the radio mast was kind of trapezoid shaped) with either birds, or possibly crude representations of radio waves, echoing out of it.

Of course it could just as easily be a crude retelling of how the original people who found the town came to it and what happened to the (got the poo poo murdered out of them).

E: holy loving poo poo do not go on either of the show's subreddits. I took a peek in case there were some fun theories or observations around and instead it's just a bunch of people whining endlessly about how it's unrealistic that people are around each other when nobody can shower and also it's dumb that the monsters got on the roof of the commune house's porch because that's clearly impossible.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 18, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Reddit am become TVIV

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Don’t they have running water?

My memory of the Reddit while the first season was running was that a lot of people thought it was obvious that the sheriff’s son and his girlfriend were obviously grooming the teen daughter for some terrible purpose (maybe just gross swinger stuff) and were extremely confused when it turned out that they were just nice and wanted to make a friend. That does seem partially down to bad writing and weird choices in direction and editing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They somehow have electricity, so why not hot water. They probably get magical soap deliveries too, along with the animals.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Thought about the cave drawing: could those be simple representations of scenes we saw in the show, and possibly scenes we haven't seen yet? For some reason that scene to the left of Victor reminds me of the scene where he's digging a bunch of graves and Donna(?) goes out to yell at him for freaking everyone out. To the right of Victor we see that trapezoid (the radio mast was kind of trapezoid shaped) with either birds, or possibly crude representations of radio waves, echoing out of it.

It could also just be them being repelled by the symbol. It feels purposefully vague. I wonder what the red thing in the middle in front of Victor is. I tried to get a better look at it but they just didn't take a clear shot of it.