Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite fraggle
the red one
the girl one
the stoner one
the one with a hawaiin shirt?
the doggo
View Results

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Don’t know fraggle rock. We had “groundling marsh” which I understand is functionally the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hyphz posted:

I think I was pedantic enough even at that time to ask why she didn’t just hover 1cm off the ground instead of landing so her flying session would never end

haha i was that kid too

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

precision posted:

powerful troll but factually inaccurate. the dozers loved what they did and the stuff they built had literally only one purpose: to be subsumed into Fraggle tummies

ah, so the doozers were more like slaves working corn fields. I still say they should be doing more terrorism. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
itt the dozers were analogous to computers or robots. they had no concept of self, or something, because as i said there was a girl dozer who wanted to do her own thing and it was a big deal

"if there is any hope at all, it lies with the dozers"

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Literally I think there was an episode where fraggles stopped eating Dozer buildings, thinking it would make them happy to keep their creations, and the Dozers were like WTF, eat them so we can build more in their place

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

precision posted:

itt the dozers were analogous to computers or robots. they had no concept of self, or something, because as i said there was a girl dozer who wanted to do her own thing and it was a big deal

"if there is any hope at all, it lies with the dozers"

seems like something a slaveowning muppet would say

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Sexual Aluminum posted:

The trash heap has spoken!
Nyaaaaah!

I vaguely remember reading in a book that those guys were called Philo and Gunge but I don’t know if they ever said it in the show

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Weird al wrote the theme!

Foo fighters wrote the theme for the reboot!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I always thought the rocks looked tasty

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Boober is the one in the hat who says "down in fraggle rock >:|" at the end of the theme song
he's kind of the Squidward, he just wants nothing to do with whatever these other idiots are doing, except for his alternate personality Sidebottom, who is a party animal

Red is a girl. she likes sports? never liked Red, she reminded me of my cousin Sara

Wembley is yellow. he is always worried

I forget the main one's name for some reason, but he's adventurous and always talking about adventures that his Uncle Traveling Matt went on

there is also a tall one who's like your weird aunt who's into crystals

those are the main five

the fraggles live in harmony with these hard working little moles called Doozers. the Doozers are insane and only care about digging and building, and they hate to relax and have fun, and the Fraggles like evolved symbiotically to eat the Doozers' buildings and contribute nothing? I think it was supposed to be an environmentalist message, I read that somewhere

there's also the old man and his dog but I don't remember much about them because I confused that part with The Borrowers at an early age and never detangled it. but he views the fraggles as pests and wants to exterminate them I think

and there's a sentient compost heap, and a family of huge lumbering monsters that were having like an unrelated blue collar sitcom somewhere adjacent to the fraggles and the old man. for some reason none of my friends remember them, they only seem to remember the old man and the dog. for me, total opposite, monsters rule. I'm pretty sure they also view the fraggles as pests because the fraggles just take their poo poo, too. the fraggles are a loving menace
there was an episode where the archie bunker monster was afraid of climbing a ladder, and at the climax of the episode he overcomes his fear and I remember being completely horrified when he starts climbing back down the ladder head-first

I guess that's all I remember actually

👏👏
down in fraggle rock

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The old man didn't know about the fraggles, so when they went topside ("outer space" as they referred to it) it was always a caper where they had to sneak around. The dog was aware of them and would try to convince the old man of their existence, but he never saw them. He thought the dog was full of poo poo.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

hyphz posted:

I vaguely remember reading in a book that those guys were called Philo and Gunge but I don’t know if they ever said it in the show

I think the trash heap mentions it in a couple songs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The old man didn't know about the fraggles, so when they went topside ("outer space" as they referred to it) it was always a caper where they had to sneak around. The dog was aware of them and would try to convince the old man of their existence, but he never saw them. He thought the dog was full of poo poo.

i want to say the dog could talk

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
okay i started a free trail of apple tv so i gotta watch the whole thing in 7 days or pay the dreaded 5 dollars

i'll post what i discover

edit: THIS THEME SONG SLAPS SO HARD

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
haha nailed it. i said i thought one of them was a "bard" and in the first scene with Gobo hes got a lute

edit: this show is hippie commie propaganda haha just like all good 70s and 80s kids shows made by hippies

precision fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 28, 2022

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I had a friend who owned one of the original doozer puppets (I want to say it was cotterpin doozer, but I'm not sure.) Not sure if he or his wife got it in the divorce.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
The only thing I know is that Pepperjack love Fraggle Rock

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure Phoebe from Friends was based on the new age hippie Fraggle.

Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure Friends is just a rip off of Fraggle Rock.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Fraggle Rock was on pay tv so a dirty no-cable-having pov like myself had to settle for Go-Go-Gophers and other old poo poo.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Things I remember about Fraggle Rock:

1) I was very afraid of it at age 4 or 5, presumably for whatever stupid reasons little kids are afraid of things

2) My parents would make fun of me for it

3) There was a character named Wemberly (sp?)
3a) There was also a Wemberly Road in my neighborhood, and whenever we drove by it, my parents would make jokes about it and my being afraid of Fraggle Rock

Now I have an anxiety disorder, goodbye!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Extra Large Marge posted:

Pretty sure Phoebe from Friends was based on the new age hippie Fraggle.

Moki is pretty dope. she's literally Your Hippie Aunt

basically you got

Gobo - Afraid/Brave (fears stuff a lot but when it comes to it he pulls through like a boss)
Red - Brave/Stupid
Wembley - Cowardly/Stupid
Boober - Afraid/Smart
Moki - Smart/Stupid (her fruity beliefs can be dumb and she's spacey but her and boober are the only ones that could find their butt with a map)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I last watched Fraggle Rock about a decade ago when it was on Netflix, mostly to see if it held up, and you know what? It did.

The whole idea was that the Fraggles, Doozers, and Gorgs live in a self-sustaining ecosystem built around the radishes grown by the Gorgs, and if anything disrupts the balance, all three societies would fall apart. The live-action segments were different in every country it aired in, hence the lighthouse keeper in some places and Doc in the others, and somebody else in still others. In France it was a baker.

Doc always kind of reminded me of my grandfather, and the fact that he, my dad, and Granddad (still going strong at 92!) all have workshops is why I have positive associations with that word to this day. Kind of a shame that I never got into tools myself.

There's one episode where Red and another Fraggle and Boober get trapped in a cave in, and the chances of rescue seem more remote as time goes on. At one point, Red wonders out loud with the heaviest question I can imagine for a children's show, "What do you think it's like to die?"

*Edit* Unfortunately, I forgot the parameters of this thread, so parts of it (the baker and the quote) were googled. I will henceforth hang my head in shame.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 29, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Uncle Traveling Matt is the same voice he used for Doctor Teeth on the muppets which is lol

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
lol, i endorse this thread, but I feel unwelcome, since I did so much research.

Fraggle on, my friends. Fraggle on.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Cubone posted:

Boober is the one in the hat who says "down in fraggle rock >:|" at the end of the theme song
he's kind of the Squidward, he just wants nothing to do with whatever these other idiots are doing, except for his alternate personality Sidebottom, who is a party animal

Red is a girl. she likes sports? never liked Red, she reminded me of my cousin Sara

Wembley is yellow. he is always worried

I forget the main one's name for some reason, but he's adventurous and always talking about adventures that his Uncle Traveling Matt went on

there is also a tall one who's like your weird aunt who's into crystals

those are the main five

the fraggles live in harmony with these hard working little moles called Doozers. the Doozers are insane and only care about digging and building, and they hate to relax and have fun, and the Fraggles like evolved symbiotically to eat the Doozers' buildings and contribute nothing? I think it was supposed to be an environmentalist message, I read that somewhere

there's also the old man and his dog but I don't remember much about them because I confused that part with The Borrowers at an early age and never detangled it. but he views the fraggles as pests and wants to exterminate them I think

and there's a sentient compost heap, and a family of huge lumbering monsters that were having like an unrelated blue collar sitcom somewhere adjacent to the fraggles and the old man. for some reason none of my friends remember them, they only seem to remember the old man and the dog. for me, total opposite, monsters rule. I'm pretty sure they also view the fraggles as pests because the fraggles just take their poo poo, too. the fraggles are a loving menace
there was an episode where the archie bunker monster was afraid of climbing a ladder, and at the climax of the episode he overcomes his fear and I remember being completely horrified when he starts climbing back down the ladder head-first

I guess that's all I remember actually

👏👏
down in fraggle rock

good recall.

The fraggles just fraggle their lives away. Stealing radishes and generally being a nuisance.

N.W.C

nuisance while cute.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
despite being coded as old and German-Jewish (and also having big naked titties), the trash heap sings a blistering and sassy R&B number which includes an unironically incredible harp solo by one of the rats

this show is a fuckin trip

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
theres a variation of "fraggle rock" that i cannot post in GBS

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Was Sir John Hurt in this? Or am I thinking of another Jim Henson show?

edit: It turns out I was thinking of the StoryTeller.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 29, 2022

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Every single one of us is a Silly Creature of Outer Space. Also, it hasn’t been mentioned yet, but the Doozers’ construction was made from radishes, not crystals. It’s why the Fraggles loved to eat it.

I remember an episode where one of the Fraggles (Mokey?) tells the others to stop eating Doozer construction because it’s insensitive and mean to the Doozers, so they do, and the Doozers construction goes uneaten until it fills up the entire Fraggle realm.

HBO in the early ‘80s was badass. This poo poo was badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1NKoMNy5bY

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I remember we got the full set of fraggle rock happy meal toys when I was a kid. I do not remember watching fraggle rock all that much though.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

You Are A Elf posted:

Every single one of us is a Silly Creature of Outer Space. Also, it hasn’t been mentioned yet, but the Doozers’ construction was made from radishes, not crystals. It’s why the Fraggles loved to eat it.

I remember an episode where one of the Fraggles (Mokey?) tells the others to stop eating Doozer construction because it’s insensitive and mean to the Doozers, so they do, and the Doozers construction goes uneaten until it fills up the entire Fraggle realm.

HBO in the early ‘80s was badass. This poo poo was badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1NKoMNy5bY

The doozers end up really depressed, because they've run out of space and can't build any more. Moki realizes that the doozers really like building and that eating the old constructions helps the doozers, so she recants and there is a general free for all of gorging on doozer structures. Happiness returns to the realm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm all about a 30 minute work week