Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Me irl, whatever, who cares
I think the Black Eagles has the most interesting/fun characters, but I went with Golden Deer on my first run because they had the highest ratio of 'true' Commoners to Nobles. Both of them also have far more interesting things to say about that social class stuff than Blue Lions so I think we'll get good commentary from the gang going with either.

E: Oh yeah I also chose Golden Deer because Claude is a true party guy and a hot boy™.

dimenticon fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t know about these anime teens, they seem like trouble.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
a very important consideration: black eagles is the shortest of the 3 campaigns

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I know nothing about the game except that the yellow cape looks the best. Choose yellow animes

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Vicas posted:

a very important consideration: black eagles is the shortest of the 3 campaigns

By a rather considerable degree. I dunno if they just got around to it last and ran out of time or what, but it did always stand out as weird.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

JRPGs aren't my thing but I'm loving the lineup of commentators and am happy to see Vicas and DVac be the lore-knowers helping steer the ship. Also thank you for the best April Fools joke of all of this actually being real when the day passed.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
In y'all's last thread, I said as basically my first observation of any note;

Fedule posted:

Fire Emblem is having a full-on identity crisis, which possibly might be resolved in Three Houses. This isn't helped by how it's kept changing...

...I have some hope that IntSys have figured out a coherent identity for all these things, and that Three Houses is not going to fall into so many traps trying to be everything to everyone. Some.

In retrospect, this is probably, by a fairly large margin, the wrongest thing I have ever posted on these forums. I have since noted that I would have to write one of those enormous multi-hour youtube video essays just to figure out what my overall opinion on this game is, and I have repeatedly said, a little less in jest each time, that I will produce such a thing (it'll have to wait though because I'm busy writing another one first). Even when it's working it's kind of a mess, it feels to me like every single element of it exists in opposition to every single other element.

...But one thing I'll come out and say works about perfectly is the cast. I love them? Even the horrible ones. I will protect them all with my life. I especially love that in addition to the varied personalities on display they also manage to do a good job with the varied depths as well - not simply in that some of them are exactly what they appear to be and some are extremely not, but in that even the ones that are straightforward manage to not be one-note and boring. We've come a long way since Ilyana's heyday. The only character that's bad is, well, our protagonist, because our protagonist has no character, and just kinda blank-stares through the entire experience. It's completely unintentionally hilarious that the game will try and build up a sense of the kids coming to love and respect their Professor, because Blehh is pretty much just a proficiency machine. It's bizarre that Fire Emblem has regressed so far across its second life. At least Robin had a personality! At least Corrin had, uh, dialogue?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

And not coincidentally, Robin and Corrin sucked!

We were wrong to ever leave the safety of the FE7 Tactician (okay yes granted Robin technically is the fe7 Tactician but ehhh). Byleth recognizes this fact by also being green and mute.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
This isn't really the place to discuss it since the LP has not even chosen a route yet, but I feel like Byleth does evolve a bit through the game, as they form bonds with their students and begin to emote a bit. Problem is, they're limited by the whole "This character is YOU" stuff imposed on a character with a defined personality (said personality being "Byleth is an emotionless zombie and has literally lived under a rock for their entire life"), so it can't ever go anywhere. If they had removed this part and just made Byleth the main character, that would have solved most issues.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Obligatum VII posted:

By a rather considerable degree. I dunno if they just got around to it last and ran out of time or what, but it did always stand out as weird.

Other way around, it was the first one created, and I won't say anymore for spoiler reasons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rody One Half posted:

And not coincidentally, Robin and Corrin sucked!

We were wrong to ever leave the safety of the FE7 Tactician (okay yes granted Robin technically is the fe7 Tactician but ehhh). Byleth recognizes this fact by also being green and mute.

Luv 2 tip the scales

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rody One Half posted:

(okay yes granted Robin technically is the fe7 Tactician but ehhh).
:confused:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If you get the Lyn DLC in Awakening it's outright acknowledged that between Validar losing her and Chrom finding her, Robin ended up in Elibe and was the Tactician.

Very much in the Useless Awakening Lore pile, alongside All The Games Are Totally On The Same Planet idea.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 6, 2022

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I thought Morgan was the Fe7 tactician since they're both named Mark in Japan.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I thought Morgan was the Fe7 tactician since they're both named Mark in Japan.

It's weird.

Basically the DLC has a lot of characters imply that Robin is the tactician from their game or very similar.

Katarina does it as well.

https://i.imgur.com/OFChyAN.png

And even does it again in Fire Emblem Heroes

https://imgur.com/a/oX6Qp

Tiki mistakes Robin for Marth when she first sees him on top of that.

It's not really meant to be taken that way other than the implication that the characters have a similar soul (you the player).

Anyway, Robin's a good character in their own right and has a reasonable development alongside Chrom for their game.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Tiki mistakes Robin for Marth when she first sees him on top of that.

Are you telling me the Fire Emblem series makes the same lame joke about all the different Marths in Smash as I do, but they do it seriously?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FeyerbrandX posted:

Are you telling me the Fire Emblem series makes the same lame joke about all the different Marths in Smash as I do, but they do it seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGLMi9kXTRI

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Mute protagonists are the cowardly writers way of creating a character :colbert:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Byleth doesn't need to talk when they just stare at you and you do everything they want, including spilling your secrets and childhood woes.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Lecture 004 - Choices

at one point i briefly considered finding two other sets of co-commentators and doing all 3 routes from this video on but then realized how dumb an idea that would be

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

looking forward to the war-crimes counter

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Fun fact: if you're playing female Blehh you get the conversation with Manuela where she's like "hey this is the infirmary, want a cup of tea" but if you're playing as a male you get (very slightly paraphrased) "Here already? Well, I do like a man who knows what he wants. Lock the door."

Manuela is thirsty af and a mess and I love her

also

lunar detritus posted:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lunar detritus posted:

Remember, Bleh is a mercenary so she's already committed a good number of them already

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
I've only played this with Golden Deer, never really got to replay it.. Them and Black Eagles are definitely the most interesting ones so I'm happy you went with Black Eagles.
Claude was definitely my favorite character

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hanneman no one cares about your vintage crest collection

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I’m amused by the dynamic between the houses. Blue Lions is relatively normal people, Golden deer is chill and a little silly, and Black Eagles is full of weirdos.

I played Blue Lions when I went through and my friend did Golden Deer, so I’m interested to see how the eagles go. I ended up liking Blue Lions a lot despite them being the least popular house by a huge margin.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 7, 2022

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"This is just Fate!"

Hey now

Crest Holders in this are WAY more morally grounded on average than Crest Holders in Fate!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I chose the Black Eagles for my first playthrough, but of course I forgot something only slightly important because I was worried about wasting time and forgot to go back to it and then saved.

Just a minor, unimportant thing.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Prowler posted:

I chose the Black Eagles for my first playthrough, but of course I forgot something only slightly important because I was worried about wasting time and forgot to go back to it and then saved.

Just a minor, unimportant thing.
I didn't know about it, much less that you could miss it, and the same thing happened. :negative:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

theshim posted:

Fun fact: if you're playing female Blehh you get the conversation with Manuela where she's like "hey this is the infirmary, want a cup of tea" but if you're playing as a male you get (very slightly paraphrased) "Here already? Well, I do like a man who knows what he wants. Lock the door."

Manuela is thirsty af and a mess and I love her

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

You see a few extra bits of dialogue from Manuela if you play as dude Blyeth where Manuela is incredibly thirsty

yeah, this is what I was getting at

Shame Byleth doesn't understand flirting

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Castles are FULL of rats n mice. Cats for the mice, small angry dogs for the rats.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Boooooooo this choice sucks

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zEeJ2X0uFg

Y'know, I can hear it too.

Also I never noticed the stabbed anatomy doll, lmao. Wonder which of her exes it represents.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Are there any noble students who aren't just the heir to some title but have already inherited it? They're young enough they could have a regent running things for them so it probably wouldn't matter, but it seems like the sort of thing teenagers would lord over each other.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I'm pretty sure Hubert is by this point, for reasons, but it never comes up.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Black Eagles are the best house imo, so I'm excited to watch your reaction to how things unfold.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

capitaldelendaest posted:

I'm pretty sure Hubert is by this point, for reasons, but it never comes up.

According to the wiki he's still just the heir to a march. I presume no one uses subsidiary titles as courtesy titles either?

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
Disappointed, but not surprised.

At least we will no doubt see the "interesting" route when the choice is presented.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Boooooooo this choice sucks

Counterpoint: Hubert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Fedule posted:

Also I never noticed the stabbed anatomy doll, lmao. Wonder which of her exes it represents.

None, exactly. As I understand it the Opera House is both genuine and a kind of cover for assassination. I'm not sure if I have the right of it exactly.