Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Rody One Half posted:

Golden Deer and Silver Snow are bizarre routes in that thematically they're infinitely less important than Azure Moon or Crimson Flower... but Azure Moon and Crimson Flower exclude huge chunks of the game's actual lore that explain what's actually happening. There's a lot of 3H's structure that's just baffling in that way, like how CF is somehow the last thing they started making because they initially thought nobody would want to support Edelgard, and the first route created was actually Silver Snow, by far the route with the least exclusive material or people who could give a poo poo about it.

E: I've probably said all that before and forgotten about it, but it is the constant thought refrain I have about this game. It has some of my absolute favorite CONTENT in a Fire Emblem, but it is put together in the most slapdash and insane way imaginable.

It feels like it's designed to produce controversy and fights between the fans. I refer back to this post:

mycatscrimes posted:

You should play one route, form an extremely strong opinion based on the information presented in it, and then go forth and wield that opinion like a sword against everyone who is Wrong on Twitter about it. It is the Three Houses way.

Edit: My extremely strong opinion is that Leonie should have just proposed to Byleth so they could both be Jeralt's daughter.

Having started with Silver Snow:
You know how Dvac always goes "Edelgard. [pause] My wife."? This is basically my attitude toward Rhea.

It's wild to consider the idea of Silver Snow being made first, but it kind of fits with it also being sort of rough and inconsistent. My understanding, having not gotten to Verdant Wind yet, is that it's just something like "what if you took Verdant Wind and cut out Claude and half the plot". Like, the Empire gets a villainy bonus to their efforts, wipes out every existing power structure, and Seteth directs the Church to fill the power vacuum with Byleth as new monarch versus the same situation and "Claude sets Byleth up as a figurehead ruler for Fódlan in his quest for world conquest while gradually realizing he maybe shouldn't conquer the world."

on Dimitri's name: You know Blaidd? Ranni's shadow? Himbo wolfboy? That guy. It's the same blaidd-. Wolf-lord. I thought I'd seen some comment (maybe in this thread?) about how it shared a root etymology with Byleth, but all I'm finding now is the King of Hell in The Lesser Key of Solomon. (Well, and the movie.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's kinda obvious after playing both that VW is the afterthought route made after SS, because it's mostly the same except Claude is really awkwardly shoehorned in as the main lord where he just kinda spends most of his time tiptoeing around the fact that he thinks Rhea sucks meanwhile every other character including Bleh is in constant hyper-simp mode over her.

Rody One Half posted:

Golden Deer and Silver Snow are bizarre routes in that thematically they're infinitely less important than Azure Moon or Crimson Flower... but Azure Moon and Crimson Flower exclude huge chunks of the game's actual lore that explain what's actually happening. There's a lot of 3H's structure that's just baffling in that way, like how CF is somehow the last thing they started making because they initially thought nobody would want to support Edelgard, and the first route created was actually Silver Snow, by far the route with the least exclusive material or people who could give a poo poo about it.

E: I've probably said all that before and forgotten about it, but it is the constant thought refrain I have about this game. It has some of my absolute favorite CONTENT in a Fire Emblem, but it is put together in the most slapdash and insane way imaginable.

Which is - and I know several of us have been broken records about this itt - yet another thing that's (mostly) fixed in Hopes. The routes there all also have their own unique pieces of info not divulged in the other two, but all three at least do a good job of actually incorporating the wider game lore and mole people bullshit into their main plots.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren:
Lecture 183 - Help me...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Vavrek posted:

It feels like it's designed to produce controversy and fights between the fans. I refer back to this post:

I think they definitely decided to just lean full into that approach around the time they decided that your self-insert picking a side was the only thing keeping any given character from being a full-blown lunatic.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"Cleaving to" is a particularly archaic & formal piece of English for the translator to choose.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Defiance Industries posted:

I think they definitely decided to just lean full into that approach around the time they decided that your self-insert picking a side was the only thing keeping any given character from being a full-blown lunatic.

Dmitri is definitely at his most lunatic on the route where you pick him though. It's one of the best parts!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Dimitri even has separate sets of post-timeskip quotes for when he's turbo-psycho vs when he's... well, "better".

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Dimitri and Rhea are the only ones who really go nuts just from not having Byleth around. Claude is Claude and Edelgard has a lot of more reasonable pressures on her.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

mycatscrimes posted:

Dmitri is definitely at his most lunatic on the route where you pick him though. It's one of the best parts!

I think he's helped out (well, I mean, his descent into madness is accelerated) by being elevated to Main Character status. Having the protagonist as a professor means that Dimitri gets to overhear just the right amount of info to trigger every one of his personal trauma responses at once.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I honestly think the single most significant factor for Dmitri's mental health is totally unByleth related. It's whether or not he gets couped and has to watch Dedue die for him. As far as I know it only doesn't happen on Edelgard's route, because the whole Church is in Faergus, making it much harder for that to happen.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lecture 184 - Gift-selection advisor

these next few videos are gunna be mostly lasagnas and teaching

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Hanneman's relationship with Crests and how that informs his relationship with Edelgard's goals does come up as a character note! It's explored in the latter half of some support chains and is easy to miss if you don't do them, though. Just one of the potential pitfalls of the fire emblem style I suppose.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Kuvo posted:

these next few videos are gunna be mostly lasagnas
Hell yeah.

On Hanneman: In his A-rank support convo with Lysithea, he talks about wanting to be able to bestow a Crest on anyone who wants one. Lysithea asks, you know, why, and his response:

quote:

Because I despise this world in which the presence of absence of a Crest can determine a person’s worth.
Hanneman, C-rank convos: "oh I am just a harmless old academic, please don't mind me."
Hanneman, A-rank convos: "I despise this world."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I can't blame him as crests encourage the same type of approach to kids you get in things like Crusader Kings.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Next fire emblem should combine teaching and lasagnas.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Next fire emblem should combine teaching and lasagnas.

Set it at a culinary academy. Go all-in on every Food Anime trope.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lecture 185 - B-boy Tea-boy

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lecture 186 - Malort wizard

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Imagine if some of the kids had developed into different people during 5 years of seemingly hard fought war.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Petra is assembling a polycule

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lecture 187 - The twin jewels

https://twitter.com/_VestraDog_/status/1689195848171978752

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Hubert tops always.
No way in hell he'd turn his back on another man in private.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Threatening gay gift of the magi is good stuff

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Hubert tops always.
No way in hell he'd turn his back on another man in private.

But like poison tasting he has to have tried it somehow...

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lecture 188 - The rarest support

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lecture 189 - Bash Bros

was too busy to post these last week so heres more

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
In all honesty, I think Sylvain is interesting for what he talks about in that B Support.

He's incredibly smart, he's talented, and he CAN genuinely be charming when he wants to be. It's just, he's a shameless flirt who refuses to take any relationships seriously, and it's all out of SPITE. He has a crest, and everyone knows who he is, so everyone knows he has a Crest, and so that's all anyone really sees when they look at him. Lots of women are only interested because he's a noble with a crest, which means if they can win him over, they might get to have a kid who has a crest, too! Even his own parents only favored him over his brother because he has a Crest. And BECAUSE he has a crest and his brother didn't, his brother got utterly poo poo on and ended up as a bandit.

He hates it. He hates his Crest, he hates the whole drat Crest system, and he hates everyone who only sees him for his crest.

He has had everything handed to him because of his crest, and he has gone out of his way to do nothing to deserve it, just to prove how lovely the crest system is.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 13, 2023

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Sylvain rules.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Poor dark merchant, Blehh never turned to her left.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I think I said it before at the start when Sylvain first showed up, but yeah, he's one of my favorite characters in the cast just because the writers did a great job of walking that fine line of: he's an rear end in a top hat, but there's an understandable reason he's an rear end in a top hat, but that doesn't make it ok. His traits themselves are comically exaggerated, but the overall character treatment is surprisingly nuanced.

Kibayasu posted:

Poor dark merchant, Blehh never turned to her left.

:pressf:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lecture 190 - Coin Toss

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
Genuinely interested to see how our best lad winning the Blehhbowl works out. I doubt even 1% of your usual Fire Emblem players would end up with him.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I actually had ????? as a choice in my third playthrough, so I chose the little gremlin just to see what would happen. Meh.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nothing exciting?

No birthing of a life parter from your forehead as you will a substantially onanistic entity into being in order to satisfy your loneliness as a godhead who has sundered all equals?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Imagine doing that scene with their in-engine cutscene tech.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Imagine doing that scene with their in-engine cutscene tech.

I'm just imagining Bleh just standing there stock still, doe-eyed "no thoughts, head empty" stare as that happens.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
they get married on the astral plane

my thoughts on three houses' writing is that on a structural level, it fails because the story often doesn't hang together or becomes incoherent. but there is a lot of good writing in the game, usually on a worldbuilding or character level. on the balance I like it despite it's many flaws, though that may be lowered standards which result from consuming a lot of video game writing.

like, to me it's different from Fates, in that I think three houses often has enjoyable and compelling moments, and another year in the oven to edit and refine it could have made the story writing solid overall. but it is similar in that they clearly set out to create something too large in scope for them to execute, and many of the biggest issues stem from that (particularly in the Deer and Edelgard routes).

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Again, Silvert Snow and Verdant Wind should have just been cut. Fold Rhea and Claude in under Dimitri and Edelgard, and put max effort into making those two routes ENTIRELY distinct, instead of making you redo a mostly identical White Clouds every time and then having weirdly disjointed post-timeskip portions.