Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hakkesshu posted:

No, she's a new invention. I don't know what the point of her is and she just looks goofy as hell.

Well, I mean... if I was the Covenant, I'd keep around a pet human to activate all the alien technology that only reacts to humans...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sammus posted:

I’ve never played a halo or read a halo book, so I’m absolutely not the audience they probably expect to watch.

If they want the series to succeed, they absolutely should be. This of course goes to the "who is this series for" question that comes up a lot with Paramount+ franchise originals, they're severely made by committee and can't decide whether they're for a broad general audience or chasing a dedicated core fanbase.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n
New episode grabbed me more than 1 in some ways and lost me in others. My biggest complaint is chief just hopping out of MJOLNIR willy nilly. I know it can be done on the field in serious circumstances, but that seems to typicly require another Spartans assistance and is not a simple task. Soren didn't seem like he helped, but I guess I can suspend my disbelief there.

Interested in where the plot is going. A lot of familiar threads brought up in new configurations which both makes me wonder why they did it this way and feel like I'd like to see where it goes.

Nice of them to sneak in a bit more of this shows apparently trademark brutality and even some titty.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Bit of an establishing episode, not too much going on but it looks like episode 3 will get the ball rolling. Enough hints dropped at where this season will end up.

I liked the flashback to John Halo talking to Soren outside the fence of the worst school camp, only giving him 5 minutes is a bit of a dick move though.

Also just the new regime on Madrigal casually executing the old one, fun times.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McSpanky posted:

If they want the series to succeed, they absolutely should be. This of course goes to the "who is this series for" question that comes up a lot with Paramount+ franchise originals, they're severely made by committee and can't decide whether they're for a broad general audience or chasing a dedicated core fanbase.

I think this is just a problem with big budget scifi / fantasy tbh, and it's a problem that transcends any one network.

I mean, I assume you're talking about Star Treks Discovery, Picard, etc. and not Why Women Kill, The Good Fight, Evil, Tell Me A Story, One Dollar...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So far I think this show is better than Star Trek Discovery. That's not a high bar, but it's good enough, to me.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Based on the first episode, this show is The Mandalorian meets The Expanse. Which bodes well, I guess?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I think it's going well so far.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Phylodox posted:

Based on the first episode, this show is The Mandalorian meets The Expanse. Which bodes well, I guess?

I mean Burn Gorman is playing the exact same character he played on The Expanse.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

2nd episode is more of the same where it’s all mostly ok but nothing like the games? Spartans are sold like emotionless killing machines that apparently have been used against the human population / rebels but 117’s team shows just enough hesitation and humanity in their dialogue to not really sell them as “these are brainwashed children raised and trained to be machines”. Soren’s flashback just adds to how little impact the apparent brainwashing actually had.

Stop having him take off his helmet, you cowards! Or the rest of his armor! It shouldn’t even be that easy to remove without help! MC didn’t need to be this Mary Sue with a direct connection to the ring. Can’t wait to find out (bullshit speculation) him and covenant blessed one are actually directly related.

The one good thing I can genuinely say, they’ve done a fantastic job showing just how massive Chief is.

Anyways, see you all next week.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Spartans were always intended as terror weapons against the outer colonies but they very rapidly got the PR spin to make them superheroes against the Covenant. I'm okay with the brainwashing not being effective because that's pretty much the way it was in the books, but most Spartans made peace with the fact that their old lives were gone. I think the only ones who didn't make peace with it were Soren, Serin Osman (who was counter brainwashed by the head of ONI to hate Halsey and the Spartan program) and that one candidate who was allowed to leave the program and enlisted in the Marines when he was an adult.

Operations against the insurrectionists were pretty well off the books once the Covenant invaded since most of the outer colonies got glassed and the insurrection was nowhere near the threat it used to be.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There is a distinct lack of percussion in the y show music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deOGtIDLBZ8

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

So far I think this show is better than Star Trek Discovery. That's not a high bar, but it's good enough, to me.

At least this show seems interested in interrogating the morality of war crimes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The part with the weird people living in cages and psychic covenant prisoner was stupid as all loving hell but I liked the rest. I hope they don’t keep going back to the smiley face tattoo, though, it’s fine to leave that in this episode.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

The part with the weird people living in cages and psychic covenant prisoner was stupid as all loving hell but I liked the rest. I hope they don’t keep going back to the smiley face tattoo, though, it’s fine to leave that in this episode.

Master chief never washes his hands.

It's funny, when the first trailer released people were annoyed that they didn't use Steve Downes, but the assumption is that Downes in his 70s and they wanted to be able to have a different voice actor if the show was going to go a decade.

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine it was because they planned to have the majority of Chief's screen time for at least one (and I suspect most going forward) episode being with his helmet and/or armor off.

I know that he takes the helmet off in the books, and that it isn't like he is locked in there, but V for Vendetta covered this:

"There is a face beneath this mask, but it isn't me. I'm no more that face than I am the muscles beneath it, or the bones beneath that."

Master Chief is the armor and the helmet from an aesthetic point of view. You don't write a show based around a fictional character with a very specific aesthetic and then immediately discard that aesthetic.

You don't even have to worry about the mandelorian comparisons if you get a good performance. Some of the scenes in the first episode (particularly the shot of him sitting motionless) were fantastic in selling the 'Superhuman weapon that is a walking tank'.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Hakkesshu posted:

I hope they don’t keep going back to the smiley face tattoo, though, it’s fine to leave that in this episode.
Betting it will end up etched into his armor or something. Custom emblem!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

my fears about cortana seem to be coming true. gently caress.

One question i had for episode 1: was halsey in two places at once when she was both confined to the bridge and loudly conspiring with silver team to defend chief against the unsc?

also how cool is it for kwan to still have her family's dried blood-spatter all over her face for half of episode 2, you telling me the pelican has zero facilities for that kind of thing? kwan in general just seems entirely too normal given what she's been through. like i can't explain it but something about her banter/wit seems really out of place? i don't need any wailing and gnashing of teeth or anything... she's just so HERSELF, still. No depth being formed by her loss. No evidence that her loss matters, beyond glaring at vishner when he's on TV.

the show has been okay, I'm frustrated by the handling of these little things, though.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

my cat is norris posted:

also how cool is it for kwan to still have her family's dried blood-spatter all over her face for half of episode 2, you telling me the pelican has zero facilities for that kind of thing? kwan in general just seems entirely too normal given what she's been through. like i can't explain it but something about her banter/wit seems really out of place? i don't need any wailing and gnashing of teeth or anything... she's just so HERSELF, still. No depth being formed by her loss. No evidence that her loss matters, beyond glaring at vishner when he's on TV.

the show has been okay, I'm frustrated by the handling of these little things, though.

This poor girl just witnessed everyone she’s ever known get brutally murdered in front of her during what she believed to be a first contact event.

She should be absolutely wrecked. They are 100% not going to address this, and they’ll probably never mention her mother and father again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha yeah they could've shoved that tragedy into her backstory instead of nowstory.

also was cortana always some kind of super genetic engineered thing? i thought she was like, the alexa of spartans

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cortana is a "smart" AI developed based on Halsey's brain so she's more like a 2nd generation smart AI. Most Smart AIs are based off of preexisting personalities but Cortana was the first based off an actual brain. In the lore she was made as the first AI that could be on-boarded to a Spartan's Mjolnir armour and to assist Halsey in her research into Forerunner artifacts.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 1, 2022

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean Burn Gorman is playing the exact same character he played on The Expanse.

That’s just bad casting if they want me to care about the aliens and their plot. Burn Gorman is the best at being a space nazi, and he’s already off to a great start here.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Burn Gorman is a sonofabitch and is one of a small handful of amazing go-to sonofabitch actors when a studio needs an antagonist. Dude is an expert at chewing scenery.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Khanstant posted:

haha yeah they could've shoved that tragedy into her backstory instead of nowstory.

also was cortana always some kind of super genetic engineered thing? i thought she was like, the alexa of spartans

AI in Halo are all based off human minds, but the process destroys the brain. Typically AI are created by way of donor brains from talented officers, scientists, that sort of thing. In Halo lore Cortana (and her very short lived 'sister' Kalmiya) are special because Halsey used 'flash cloning' to create a direct copy of herself (including her brain activity, don't ask how, sci-fi bullshit) which was then harvested for the necessary material.

The lore here is uh... pretty different. Cortana was a second generation AI, more advanced than previous models but not some game changer in terms of AI tech beyond just being slightly more advanced and based off a genius lunatic. The purpose for the original was to improve combat capabilities, not lobotomize the Spartans. But then again, non-TV Spartans were indoctrinated to the point that they didn't need the various bells and whistles the show suggests. Game chief would get flashes of his family from a rock and be like "Huh, that's neat.'" but otherwise not care they all knew they were taken from their families to be raised as super soldiers, that was the point.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Halos plot was a golden opportunity to basically combine BSGs "ensemble drama about people stranded in space while fighting crazy scifi religious fanatics + Losts "diverse ensemble cast unraveling a mystery on a mysterious space island" and they coud have easily fleshed out the larger world and the UNSC vs outer colony rebels ethical conflict via flashbacks and parallel stories unfolding off of Halo.

First two eps should have been a big expensive absolute banger 2 parter premiere thats the Fall of Reach leading to the Pillar of Autumn jumping to Halo and then just pick it up from there. First ep sets up the larger world, second ep is the Covenant attack and ends with the jump to Halo and subsequent crash landing of the Autumn. Spoilering because its obvious season 1 will end with the Fall of Reach

I dont even think the show is bad, its fine I guess. I just think its actively working against itself by stringing audiences along with easily the least interesting aspect of Halos lore(UNSC conflict/drama). It coming hot off the heals of The Expanse too which just makes all that stuff feel too...been there done that at the moment.

Ill stick with it in hopes once they actually get to Halo it picks up a bit. Ill be pleasantly surprised if they get there before the seasons over though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fuckin' Keir Dullea is on this show.

I suppose if anybody has experience with large alien space artifacts, it'd be him.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Episode 1 is free on youtube, but it is geolocked, I presume USA only:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkf1pAhs_KY

And this guy is doing breakdowns of the episodes after they come out, comparing things to game/book lore/canon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_hN9FbU6Ok

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t hold any high hopes about the show, thinking they’d ruin the franchise, but when they announced it was supposed to be in an alternate universe I didn’t give a poo poo what they did as long as it was good. And it is good. Kinda irks me how often they’ve let John walk around without his helmet so far but that’s my only issue with the show and it’s so minor it’s just whatever. So any lore issues is something that shouldn’t bother anyone. I have even told people that don’t know poo poo about Halo to give the first episode a try because that is some of the best TV to air since the Mandalorian.

I like this show and the part I’m most excited about is seeing what they do with the flood. :allears:

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Liked when episode 2 just turned into The Expanse for a little while right down to the villain of season 4

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Echoing the comments that Episode 2 was good. But I also didn't hate Episode 1 like the rest of the internet. I think the shows pretty enjoyable so far, which is a big surprise to me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I thought it was beyond awful, but to be fair I started watching it by skipping ahead 10 seconds occasionally to get past parts. I don't usually have that much trouble watching terrible shows even if I hate them but there's something just aggressively bland here that's not even connecting to me on a "this sucks" level just a "this is boring." Master Chief's face is also terrible, they wanna show this guy's head a lot and it's really the last face I want to see, followed by Kwon. The only character I like is the alien's human pet but she's obviously going to defect so there's nothing interesting to look forward to there.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Fuckin' Keir Dullea is on this show.

I suppose if anybody has experience with large alien space artifacts, it'd be him.

I wondered where I'd seen that guy before, holy poo poo!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1wKjLREd4k

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Got to see some side-tiddy, so this is an A + episode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why settle for side tiddy when you can play Halo 3 and 4 and get full Cortana blue tiddy

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Arc Hammer posted:

Why settle for side tiddy when you can play Halo 3 and 4 and get full Cortana blue tiddy

Since she has no nipples, would that make it nothing but sideboob?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arc Hammer posted:

Mark Hamill racing to make his purchase.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Jerusalem posted:

Mark Hamill racing to make his purchase.

What's this a reference to?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Is that Jen Taylor with a bald cap?
Pretty cool to have the original cortana in a live action role, even if I think the weird human clone to AI concept is dumb

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Lammasu posted:

What's this a reference to?

Star Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the thing that makes the armour look a little funky in real life is the waist section. The big armored diaper in the games always looked a little dopey and makes the torso too long, so the legs in turn seem silly because the diaper sits too low on a real person's hips.

That's just the way Mark 6 looks though. I much prefer the Reach style armour where it's less of a diaper and more of an armored waist belt and codpiece. It also gave us dummy thicc Spartan booty which would be appreciated.