Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I always liked the CE armor where it looks like he's wearing a spacesuit/tank/stealth fighter somehow but an irl version of that would probably look even more ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reach armour with Mark V helmet is best Spartan ever.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've never played any of the games, have never read the books and have zero knowledge of the lore. I thought both episodes were pretty good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It definitely feels more like The Expanse than Halo right now but I chalk that up to the presentation and music. And Burn Gorman.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Here's my theory which makes sense to me but will probably be proven wrong, but whatever:

MC going AWOL and risking his life for Kwan Ha will be the reason they finally integrate him with Cortana: Giving MC someone to protect will make him controllable without putting the mind control drugs or whatever back into him. And Cortana will "work better" when MC is fully armored, giving him an actual story reason to keep his helmet on all the time, or as much as possible, from now on.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Roman posted:

Here's my theory which makes sense to me but will probably be proven wrong, but whatever:

MC going AWOL and risking his life for Kwan Ha will be the reason they finally integrate him with Cortana: Giving MC someone to protect will make him controllable without putting the mind control drugs or whatever back into him. And Cortana will "work better" when MC is fully armored, giving him an actual story reason to keep his helmet on all the time, or as much as possible, from now on.

That really makes sense considering Cortana is integrated with his helmet so obviously he can’t hear her without his helmet on. I like this.

SpaceAceJase posted:

Is that Jen Taylor with a bald cap?
Pretty cool to have the original cortana in a live action role, even if I think the weird human clone to AI concept is dumb

I’m sorry if I post what you already know cus I’m a little confused but do you think it’s dumb that Cortana will be a person? Because I’m lore Halsey kills her clone to make Cortana so that’s going to happen in the show, or at least it would make sense and the show could do something completely different. AI’s from Halo come from a dead or dying brain. Not sure which. Again sorry if this is what you think is dumb and you already knew this.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Fascinating. I never knew the clone thing and have read a few Halo books.

I was thinking this was something invented for the show. Fits with Halsey's science being an ethical nightmare, and more biomedical than computer science.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In Halo there are already extensive AI systems like the one in the pelican that takes control of the ship.

They need to differentiate Costanza as a "true general intelligence" because that's what they call an AI that is also a person.

The science lady has been wanting to make this thing for a long time and the weapons are just an excuse. And her method involves destructive digitization of a human brain. I think she wants to use clones of herself because her goal is transhumanism. Also she got in trouble for kidnapping subjects for her last project. She wants to build the ultimate cyborg body and put a human but better consciousness in it.

She's been working on this project since before first contact with aliens.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I enjoyed that second episode a lot more than I thought I would, but I still wouldn't say that the show is good.

It's weird though, like Bokeem Woodbine's wife chilling out in what looks like a full operagown. Or the whole bonkers thing with the smile stamp. There's a but of Faracape energy to that entire family, tbh, though without the energy.

But then on the other hand you have blocking like that in the forklift standoff. Everyone standing around looking smug about "blocking" the path when there's a huge loving space around the back of the truck.

Or the terrible exposition dumps. How much did that one lady invent!? Come on.

They spent a lot of money on those sets though. Way more than I thought they would.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's two types of human AI. DUMB AI and Smart AI. Dumb AI would be stuff like the Condor's AI system or the Mombasa Superintendent from Halo ODST. They're very smart but only serve the functions for which they were designed.

Smart AI are usually relegated to high end stuff like assisting in capital ship operations, intelligence gathering or research, situations where the ability to adapt and exceed traditional programming would be required. And Cortana is an evolution of this method of Smart AI development by Halsey going overboard with her biological ethics violations and making super brain clones to make Cortana even smarter.

The Covenant also use AI but they're pretty mysterious. The Covvies don't view them as much more than tools or constructs, but there's evidence that Covenant AI are pretty resentful of their enslavement to organics, such as during the conversation between Spark and the AI aboard the Truth and Reconciliation which was more than happy to let the Flood kill its enslavers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hope the show continues to explore just how many war crimes Halsey has committed and will continue to commit.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Isometric Bacon posted:

Fascinating. I never knew the clone thing and have read a few Halo books.

I was thinking this was something invented for the show. Fits with Halsey's science being an ethical nightmare, and more biomedical than computer science.

Halsey is a war criminal

some ethically wrong science experiments and child soldiers is no biggie for her

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arglebargle III posted:

They need to differentiate Costanza as a "true general intelligence" because that's what they call an AI that is also a person.

George is gettin' rampant!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm having a surprising amount of fun watching it. I really liked the scene where Halsey dragged Parangosky into the Cortana project at the meeting. That was a pretty brilliantly written scene I thought.

I see lots of people complaining online that they already let the cat out of the bag by having Wren tell Chief that Halo is a weapon whereas in the game that's the big reveal towards the end, but like.... Everyone watching the show knows that already so I think it's pointless to try and make that a reveal in the show too.

I really don't understand why so many people want a copy/paste of the game story. We've played the games hundreds of times, I'm good on that story. I like the new directions the show is going in.

My biggest complaints are really nitpicks from budgetary constraints. I would like less modern guns and Chevy Tahoes and more/better CGI aliens but I don't think those issues detract from the story much. This show is already 5x better than what the Halo franchise deserves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chief knows that Halo is a weapon by the end of the 3rd level of Combat Evolved.

I'm guessing that the season will end with a dual finale of the UNSC and Covenant fighting back on Madrigal for some more Forerunner artifacts and then another Covenant fleet will glass Reach at the same time.

Basically make the Battle of Sigma Octanus IV and the Fall of Reach simultaneous rather than sequential like they are in the books. And make Madrigal the new Sigma Octanus IV.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

It definitely feels more like The Expanse than Halo right now but I chalk that up to the presentation and music. And Burn Gorman.

After watching the first episode, yeah, huge The Expanse vibes. Like "what if instead of Laconia and the Ring Entities, the bad guys are aliens who can travel FTL without the rings?"

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Arc Hammer posted:

Chief knows that Halo is a weapon by the end of the 3rd level of Combat Evolved.

I'm guessing that the season will end with a dual finale of the UNSC and Covenant fighting back on Madrigal for some more Forerunner artifacts and then another Covenant fleet will glass Reach at the same time.

Basically make the Battle of Sigma Octanus IV and the Fall of Reach simultaneous rather than sequential like they are in the books. And make Madrigal the new Sigma Octanus IV.

You're right, I was thinking of the bigger reveal that it's not just a weapon, but a weapon of total galactic destruction, which is what happens in Two Betrayals.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So why do you think they waited until 2018 to start production on this? 10 years ago it would have been a big deal.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Halo is badly mismanaged.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arglebargle III posted:

If Jason Alexander doesn't show up with his tiddies painted blue I'm gonna be so mad :argh:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“Chief, i’d like to introduce you to the new Vandelay AI we’ve been working on for years. We’re going to import it into your suit.”

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

"They put you in a suit?"

"A suit"

"A suit?"

"A suit! I'm designed for fleet carriers!"

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Arglebargle III posted:

So why do you think they waited until 2018 to start production on this? 10 years ago it would have been a big deal.

It sounds like this is a nightmare property to work with. When you have a not long after LOTR Peter Jackson dropping the project because of studio / stakeholder (Microsoft) interference, you can understand why.

Thankfully it coming so late at least means that the serialised tv format allows them to explore some of the backstory in significant depth.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

I remember the story being that Microsoft were so intrusively controlling and demanding that everybody involved ended up walking on the previous attempts

The games declining from their peak probably helped inject a little reality into the situation

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

trizzNPH posted:

New episode grabbed me more than 1 in some ways and lost me in others. My biggest complaint is chief just hopping out of MJOLNIR willy nilly. I know it can be done on the field in serious circumstances, but that seems to typicly require another Spartans assistance and is not a simple task. Soren didn't seem like he helped, but I guess I can suspend my disbelief there.

To be honest, it's worrying that it's a pattern of just lovely writing/direction to come, espeically in the first episode they had their flashy gearing up sequence for the other spartans. It's a sign that nothing they show you is really going to matter from one episode to the next because it'll be forgotten about for the contrivance of getting from A to B in the plot in some cool fashion.

Another standout bit to me of the same vein was why that old admiral dude and Halsey were standing out on some ridiculous [future balcony] that was just this unsafe edge of a loving roof?

It's one of those things that's implying there's no QA person looking at each scene and asking "why the gently caress are they doing that?".

I kinda got that vibe when the actor playing MC started doing the press releases banging on about how a no-helmet chief was better because you need a face to convey emotion. Like, that's demonstrably false, so he's either a shite actor keen to make sure his face was on screen or he was too afraid/incapable of pushing back on whoever's running the show.

Seeing his gormless loving face in each "humanising" scene has done nothing to enrich the character and again, an indication that there doesn't seem to be anyone going "did we need his helmet off for that".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm also of the mind that Chief's helmet is his face, but I don't mind him taking it off in the show and I like that he's got crazy eyes.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

How does a show based on Halo of all things end up with such a generic, bland score?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rights issues with Marty and Michael probably.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Chalk me up as another viewer that has maybe played an hour of the first game, but decided to give the show a chance. I like it alright. It's got spaceships, action, and sweet super-powered armored soldiers. I mean, as a layman of the franchise, I am easily entertained by this. The storyline after 2 episodes is far from ground breaking, but it's done just well enough that I enjoy watching it.

I dunno, that's my lukewarm positive response. I can completely empathize with fans of the franchise being less than thrilled by it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

How does a show based on Halo of all things end up with such a generic, bland score?

Yeah that's a big downer

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Arc Hammer posted:

Rights issues with Marty and Michael probably.

It's exactly this. The Halo music rights are hosed. Marty owns the rights to music so nobody can stream the singleplayer campaigns on Twitch because they get DMCA'd. They might as well try to use The Beatles discography.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Cortana won't work as expected but they'll put gen2 into the three other spartans so we get a MC v Spartans fight scene.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Vishass posted:

Cortana won't work as expected but they'll put gen2 into the three other spartans so we get a MC v Spartans fight scene.

It's almost quaint how predictable this "new" plot is going to be.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kin posted:

It's almost quaint how predictable this "new" plot is going to be.

As opposed to adapting the plot of the games though?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

As opposed to adapting the plot of the games though?

Well, the point is that it'll be ironic that a show rejects it's original plot to tell its own story, only for that story to be full of tired tropes.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
It really does feel like the show is just working off a checklist.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kin posted:

I kinda got that vibe when the actor playing MC started doing the press releases banging on about how a no-helmet chief was better because you need a face to convey emotion. Like, that's demonstrably false, so he's either a shite actor keen to make sure his face was on screen or he was too afraid/incapable of pushing back on whoever's running the show.

I mean the story, that is old as time, is that actors want their faces to be seen and producers want to get the bang for the buck for their expensive recognizable actors. If your main actor wears a face-covering helmet at all times you can swap them him with a stuntman and do VO. That there have been very famous examples of helmed actors getting post-hoc replaced by directors in post-production probably doesn't help.

Of course both Dredd (2011) and The Mandalorian show that this train of thought is idiotic, but that is the general reason for why productions so rarely do full-time masks.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Vishass posted:

something would have to happen for halsey to want to work against MC, but i could see this happening in some form

maybe the government installs gen2 into the other spartans after halsey is jailed or some poo poo

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kin posted:

Well, the point is that it'll be ironic that a show rejects it's original plot to tell its own story, only for that story to be full of tired tropes.

Oh yeah, I get what you're saying now, yeah. Is suspect we're probably gonna get a rough version of the first game's plot anyway this season, only with the Masterchief more at odds with the UNSC.

MiddleOne posted:

Of course both Dredd (2011) and The Mandalorian show that this train of thought is idiotic, but that is the general reason for why productions so rarely do full-time masks.

The Madalorian's an interesting case. I read somewhere that it's often not Pedro Pascal under the helmet, but two other guys. I guess that gives Disney more control over the production, and also means that they can pay Pedro Pascal less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Mental Hospitality posted:

Chalk me up as another viewer that has maybe played an hour of the first game, but decided to give the show a chance. I like it alright. It's got spaceships, action, and sweet super-powered armored soldiers. I mean, as a layman of the franchise, I am easily entertained by this. The storyline after 2 episodes is far from ground breaking, but it's done just well enough that I enjoy watching it.

I dunno, that's my lukewarm positive response. I can completely empathize with fans of the franchise being less than thrilled by it.

same. some things look pretty cool too, like the ship in hyperspace or whatever with the purple lighting