Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Everyone on this show is really unpleasant to everyone else!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Marsupial Ape posted:

What if he’s a normal physical therapist and the Spartans think he’s magic because they haven’t been hugged in over 30 years?

:hmmyes:

e: Master Chief Gets Glomped

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Who lives on the Halo?

I just started Halo Infinite last night, haven't played any of these games before. I did read the Ringworld books though, which told me that a structure like that would be like hundreds or thousands of times more living area than the earth.

Halo isn't a Ringworld, it's a Banks orbital which is much much smaller. Also it's a giant hula hoop and God's own anti-son-of-a-bitch machine.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's been retconned and expanded a ton but as of Halo Infinite, the UNSC was destroyed (humanity is fine) and Master Chief is the last known Spartan that isn't trapped in multiplayer

The books (sigh) have plenty of other Spartans still running around. Master Chief's Blue Team is off doing something somewhere, Buck and Vale from Halo 5 have had post-Halo 5 books too.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

If only Chief had a trusting, functional relationship with some kind of AI system who could see everything he sees. Wouldn't that make everything simpler.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Ackerson is the best character in the show right now which is wild.

Chief is a dick to everybody :( I know he's under a lot of pressure and is being gaslit by the cia and his mom died and his illegal girlfriend died and his vtuber got taken away but cmooon Chief

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is after a bunch of retcons to get all the different versions of the story to fit together, mind.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The idea that Reach itself was gonna be the bait for RED FLAG seems like a pretty recent addition too iirc.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

It's been ages since I read/played either but I remember much preferring the version of events in the book and never understood why the game couldn't stick closer to its presentation. Its not like the passage of time in the game means anything.

Bungie did not like the books is the long and short of it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

True that on the whole they disliked the books but they also admitted that ODSTs and ONI were pretty cool and put them in their games, and Joe Staten also wrote Contact Harvest.

Yeah, this angered the guy who’d made up ODSTs so much he never played Halo again.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

That they put his creation in the game?

After telling him that ODSTs were poo poo and nobody would ever care about them (or about other Spartans) compared to Master Chief, yeah. The ODSTs come from the books, which were a Microsoft venture; Bungie wanted to kill the book deal and it came down to a standoff in which Eric Trautmann at Microsoft, who'd been brought in to finish scripts that Bungie was late on, refused to turn over his work to Bungie until Bungie allowed the Fall of Reach novel to go ahead.

There were a few different factions inside Bungie, one guy probably told ODST Creatorman that his ideas were poo poo and then a different guy fought to get them into Halo 2. I believe the guy who said ODSTs were a lovely idea was also the creative director on Reach, which pointedly does not give a poo poo about the novel.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

They could make Kwan an S3, she’s a perfect fit! It’d be like they planned it all along

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I don’t think they were meant for suicide missions exactly. They were used on very high risk missions but there was always a plan to get out. They just didn’t make it (well, the first two companies at least).

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Everyone thought Kwan was talking about the Flood, but knowing screenwriters the monster was just 'loss' or 'time' or 'grief' or 'death' or some allegorical poo poo.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Really unfortunate coincidence that the Covenant took out three of the black male characters this episode. Get the gently caress out Soren! The Covenant has cop brain

I sort of suspect Keyes is coming back, we didn't see a body

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Ratjaculation posted:

It's building up to this season's mandatory sex scene, Chief fucks a grunt

Man! It’s a good thing the food nipple’s waiting for me back at the starship, cause boy, have I worked up a big grunty thirst!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought the scene was fun and tense, and it's a nice hero moment for Kwan where we see her come back for Jessica Hyde instead of letting her die.

But, like I said before, I suspect the key to the scene is the repeated tapping noise Kwan makes and how it links to the other plots.

Wait how does it link to the other plots?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Elites only have shields when the VFX artists feel like it I guess?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

Also people keep asking where Kai is and what's going on with her, spoilers from the episode title list and the 'Whats coming this season on Halo' trailer
She's Kurt's replacement as the trainer of the Spartan-IIIs. Ackerson is taking her to Onyx to train up Spartan-IIIs and in the trailer he is telling her to "make them Spartans" over footage of a bunch of kids and Perez will also become one.

That's, uh...actually pretty cool. Reckon they're gonna make Kwan, the literal war orphan, an S-III? That seems like a really obvious direction to go, maybe TOO obvious?

e: Was there any point to keeping Halsey locked up in the holodeck or was Ackerson just loving with her

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

Yeah, it feels lame to sit here and go "why didnt they do what I wanted with the show" but starting the show pre-Covenant seems like it would have fit the general vibes they were going for better. Adapting Contact Harvest and getting some Johnson screen time would have owned.

I sort of understand why they didn't just want to adapt The Fall of Reach book, but...everything they're doing was done better in a video game tie-in book written in like four weeks.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

When Sisko said “we are explorers” I don’t think he meant “this franchise is for cenobites”

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I think the big problem with this show “for da fans” is the same as with the later seasons of Game of Thrones. GoT at some point changed from a story about institutions and sociology - the iron throne, the various families, the night’s watch, etc - into a psychological show about the characters changing or refusing to change. People think they want this because characters are interesting, but when psychology dominates the narrative the world stops feeling real, which perversely undermines the characters - their decisions are no longer constrained by structures around them, so they all just need to self actualize or heal their trauma or whatever bullshit is causing their issues now that inconveniences like “existing power structures” and “the perverse distribution of power to those who seek it rather than those who need or deserve it” or “the need to move through physical space to travel” are subordinate to their inner lives,

Halo was, for all its space opera goofiness, always about a set of social conditions. The Covenant is exterminating humanity. The UNSC is trying to maintain control even though the end is coming. The Spartans are our last hope and they’re trying to find a way out. Halo is a catalyst for enormous change which could save or destroy us. Even the Chief, when he finally gets a personality, is defined by his complete dedication to the mission coming into conflict with his platonic but intense love for Cortana (and his subtle grief over his dead buddies).

The show, however, gets incredibly bogged down in these psychological micro-stories. Soren misplaced his son. Kwan is having visions. Riz wants a normal life. Even Makee and the Arbiter are ~going rogue~ to find Halo. Nobody is just doing their job in the context of huge forces, so the show can’t really tell stories about those forces.

When fans say they want a show like “Band of Brothers” what they mean is they want a show about how humans behave under the conditions of a losing war of extermination, or conditions of being a child supersoldier. BoB or The Wire or what have you are anthropological studies of humans doing jobs under extreme conditions. They aren’t seeking their individual meaning or purpose, they’re forced to play a role and the drama is in how they cope or fail to cope.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the best story arc by a MILE so far is Ackerson’s brief run as “guy covering it all up revealed to be guy who knows how bad things really are”. This is the show directly examining someone in a position of power confronting the realities of the Covenant’s advance. Ackerson can’t run off on a spaceship to deal with his personal issues or look for his destiny. He euthanizes his own dad as a symbol of how powerless he is to do anything but triage.

The show needs way more of that - people operating INSIDE sociological power structures, not people running off into the creative void of the Psychological Self-Actualization to play Star Wars hero’s journey and find the elixir that will make them real heroes. Chief is a soldier. He takes orders. His best stories come from trying to square these orders with his own emerging personhood and relationship to Cortana - not from going camping or finding magic only he can perceive.

Can’t believe I typed all this poo poo on a phone

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I think I gave up on season 1 before that, what the gently caress is going on there

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

“pillar of bottom” is this anything

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

GreenNight posted:

As someone who never played the games, I still think the show is great.

How do you understand anything?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The Halo 2 remaster looks so loving good except I don't think the Blur cutscenes actually add anything over the original real-time cutscenes. In some cases I think they lose shot composition from original Halo 2. People love that Blur look but to me it's just...I dunno, gloss and specular and money on the screen. I wish they'd just done the original cutscenes with remastered assets but maybe the near total lack of facial animation would've made that impossible, lol

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's so bittersweet to see Chief on the surface of Halo finally and the Flood and a proper space battle because if they'd just started the drat show here...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

What is the point of the Flood slugs? If it's an airborne contagion via spores why do they need to vomit slugs onto people or whatever other vague "we put a red mark on you" biting they are doing. The airborne spores seem to take over the entire lower level but only some of the CIC crew and then they have to slug the rest? Is there a natural immunity some people have? Are the Flood spores stupid? The answer is "so the people we need to not get infected so plot can happen don't get infected" but I don't see any explanation that would satisfy me why the guard in the brig got fully infected to the point of swelling up but Kessler and Laera and Ackerson didn't.

(last ep spoilers) I thought it was pretty clear they were spreading by touch?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I wish they hadn’t killed the Arbiter but I guess he was probably expensive to render???? Maybe they can get Keith David…

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know why they think Master Chief has to be doing john wick kung fu, I always got the vibe he was more of a soldier than a superhero. Like he shoots dudes with a gun. Maybe that's not Visually Dynamic enough for television, I don't know

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The temptation to use the cannons would be too strong I think

e: also I don't think it has any seatbelts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

In Bungie games you can be a girl or an alien, but you definitely can't be a girl alien. Unless you're a wizard.