Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Old drafty house (with gigantic windows) so on some of the coldest nights this winter I have left the reverse cycle on overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian Australia News Blog posted:

There has been an explosive submission to the ongoing inquiry into John Barilaro’s appointment to a New York trade role from his former chief of staff, Mark Connell.
I refer to an incident which occurred in April 2019 ... a meeting occurred for the relevant newly appointed ministers responsible for trade and investment.
Mr Barilaro had been appointed the NSW minister for trade, approximately one month earlier, and attended this meeting. Also, in attendance was the then treasurer, the Hon Dom Perrottet and the Hon Stuart Ayres, who was appointed minister for investment.
After this meeting, Mr Barilaro came directly to my office.
He said, ‘I’ve just come from a meeting with Dom and Stuart regarding trade and we’re going to bring back the agent general in London as well as a bunch of other postings around the world.’
He then stated, ‘This is it; this is the job for when I get the gently caress out of this place.’
I responded to Mr Barilaro and stated, ‘But, John, the agent general role will be filled well before you retire from this place.’

Mr Barilaro then said, ‘I don’t want to go to London, gently caress that – I’m off to New York.’
Barilaro last month withdrew from the position, citing media attention as making the role untenable. He said:
I have always maintained that I followed the process and look forward to the results of the review.

Whooooops.

Alternatively, lol and also lmao.

Edit: Also jesus christ Phillip Lowe

Phillip Lowe "Economist" posted:

In our case, we wanted to do what we could to provide insurance for Australians against the potentially catastrophic economic consequences of the pandemic. With the benefit of hindsight, it could be argued that we took out too much insurance. But that is the nature of insurance. If the event you were insuring against occurs, you are very glad you were fully insured. But if that event doesn’t occur, you are left questioning your decision and wondering whether you could have saved some money.

Understandably, judgments will differ as to whether we over-insured or not. But in the highly uncertain environment of the time, the right policy choice was to err on the side of too much insurance, rather than too little insurance. I recognise though that while this approach meant we avoided some damaging long-term scarring, it has contributed to the inflationary pressures we are now experiencing.

Long term scarring in this case refers to jobs that vanished to never return, and people permanently alienated from the workforce. Saying that preventing long term scarring is related to inflation is the dumbest dog brained statement imaginable. Hmm yes, people who haven't been permanently excised from the workforce do buy things, they also contribute *to* the economy. Weird that the inflation is focused in things that there is a global and constricted market due to external factors, and that the housing price increase is a direct result of policy to prop up housing prices. gently caress me, economist brain is a god drat incredible thing to see in action.

EDIT2: Also post more articles and quotes and politics poo poo you nerds. You know you want to, I bet albo is being dogshit and weaksauce right now about something, not to mention punching left. I keep seeing How bad is Adam Bandt articles cropping up on my newsfeed.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 20, 2022

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
10 minutes before bed chuck a hot water bottle in the bed and close the bedroom door while running the air conditioner until it's time to turn in. Bed's toasty inside and out, and for minimal air conditioning run time.

I admit it helps that our house has relatively low ceilings - a fact that every relative raised an eyebrow to when we were buying the place because apparently massive vaulting ceilings with a shitload of dead space that you need to heat before the warm air settles down to less than 2 metres off the ground is an absolute must.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wheat bags are good for that stuff too

hooman posted:

EDIT2: Also post more articles and quotes and politics poo poo you nerds. You know you want to, I bet albo is being dogshit and weaksauce right now about something, not to mention punching left. I keep seeing How bad is Adam Bandt articles cropping up on my newsfeed.

At least they continued the pandemic leave payment, that's good news?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Wheat bags are good for that stuff too

At least they continued the pandemic leave payment, that's good news?

nope, labor is poo poo because they haven't just instantly reversed a few decades of poo poo economic management, I am a terminally online leftist

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

nope, labor is poo poo because they haven't just instantly reversed a few decades of poo poo economic management, I am a terminally online leftist

Labor getting pressured into resuming pandemic payments after initially saying no due to "economic reasons" and "deficit" is good. However that initial no was poo poo.

Also doing nothing about the upcoming top tax bracket drop is loving criminal especially given they are trying to cut support to the more desperate to support it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hooman posted:

Whooooops.

Alternatively, lol and also lmao.

Jordies was… right?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My flat has been at a solid 20-23c since winter started (north facing, grey exterior) so i havent needed a heater. I ran the AC basically non stop all summer and it cost me $20 extra that quarter.

however it is a small flat and a brand new AC unit after the old one started pissing water everywhere, so I imagine its pretty efficient.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

"There are four keys to making a difference at the moment and with the spike that we're going through," Mr Albanese said.

"Get your booster. Get access to antivirals if you're eligible. Wear a mask if it's appropriate. And stay at home if you are sick."

Recycling jokes but lmalbo

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Eediot Jedi posted:

"There are four keys to making a difference at the moment and with the spike that we're going through," Mr Albanese said.

"Get your booster. Get access to antivirals if you're eligible. Wear a mask if it's appropriate. And stay at home if you are sick."

Recycling jokes but lmalbo

honestly idgi

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
just put two dogs in your bed to keep warm, easy as.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Recoome posted:

honestly idgi

It's not a national lockdown enforced by state sponsored terrorists.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Question, what would it take for Labor to consider retiring the 5c coin (because its worthless) and/or the $100 bill (because it facilitates crime)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Just retire all cash. Electronic payments only.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Just retire all cash. Electronic payments only.

The boomer killing virus couldn't stop boomers using cash but I'm willing to hear your plan

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

sorry i don't want to pay my drug dealer electronically!!!! cash is king!!!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

The boomer killing virus couldn't stop boomers using cash but I'm willing to hear your plan

The government announces that cash payments will cease on date x and after that point cash will no longer be legal tender; but people can hand in exisiting cash to a bank to be credited for it. Boomers can gnash their teeth all they want.

For what it’s worth I work front end in a supermarket and the rate of card and even smartphone tap and go among old people is actually pretty drat high. Cash payments are a minority even with the elderly.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
An older person fumbling with mobile NFC payments on their phone is just as good as someone counting out coins

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Pleasant Friend posted:

the $100 bill (because it facilitates crime)

Apart from small scale tax evasion this is complete bullshit made up by journalists fwiw

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Apart from small scale tax evasion this is complete bullshit made up by journalists fwiw

Why do you think this? Its no secret that criminals love cash because its untraceable, and big denominations are very useful for transporting large amounts of dirty money, but not very practical for everyday use, everyone uses $20s and $50s. Scrapping $100 notes wouldn't stop scammers and money launderers, but would make their jobs harder and thus logically reduce it slightly.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

It's not a national lockdown enforced by state sponsored terrorists.

it's still amazing to me somehow that the difference between a state going broke and not going broke is selling VicRoads to insurance companies.

How long until OmniCorp takes over downtown Detroit Melbourne???

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Aware posted:

An older person fumbling with mobile NFC payments on their phone is just as good as someone counting out coins
Pfft amateurs

You don't even start looking for your purse/wallet until the nice young person asks for you to pay. You then fumble in your stuff for as long as you think you can get away with it before proudly producing your flybys or loyalty card ( I like to go for one for another store on my first attempt, but I'm a pro). Then and only then do you start to faf around on your 'smart' phone looking for a way to pay. Being an elderly person is more work than you might think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9f0QOh5KAU

An Aboriginal man died in Ravenhall correctional centre, Melbourne, on 7 March 2021. Corrections Victoria acknowledged the death but has not provided further details. It said the Aboriginal Justice Caucus had been advised on the day "and we continue to work closely with them and the First Peoples' Assembly of Victoria. The family of the man were notified with our condolences, and a Smoking Ceremony is being arranged. We recognise that all deaths in custody have impacts on family members, friends, corrections staff and the Aboriginal community, and we’re working to ensure they are provided with the support they need."

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Pleasant Friend posted:

Why do you think this? Its no secret that criminals love cash because its untraceable, and big denominations are very useful for transporting large amounts of dirty money, but not very practical for everyday use, everyone uses $20s and $50s. Scrapping $100 notes wouldn't stop scammers and money launderers, but would make their jobs harder and thus logically reduce it slightly.

My issue is the assertion that 100 dollar bills facilitate crime more than other denominations. After the 2007 crash there were a flurry of articles implying this with no actual evidence of it because of a huge spike in hundreds in circulation. The actual cause was that people had completely lost faith in banks and were mattressing money in the most spatially efficient form. There's never been a huge criminal pressure to use large notes and in fact for the same reason normal people don't like hundreds, criminals typically also don't like using them, because they immediately make you conspicuous. There's also the matter that the single most common note in criminal activity is the 20 because the main source of cash laundering is the humble pokie.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
People use $20 and $50 more because the ATM won't give them a $100

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Aware posted:

With ubiquitous tap and go it’s never been easier. It can be an issue if you’re using a phone specifically and it’s a cheap android phone but anyone just tapping their card or using Apple Pay it’s very straight forward and I see more and more old people doing it quite easily.

Edit: I’m 100% behind banning pokies, and if reducing a common source of money laundering is a good excuse all the better.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 20, 2022

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

<:mad:> why do you all hate crimes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Recoome posted:

it's still amazing to me somehow that the difference between a state going broke and not going broke is selling VicRoads to insurance companies.

How long until OmniCorp takes over downtown Detroit Melbourne???

I don't think that's making the difference it's just back end computer touching the govt can't be hosed with any more. I thought you preferred more efficient outsourced functions?

Legit wish they outsourced the decision making on Myki.

Pleasant Friend posted:

Question, what would it take for Labor to consider retiring the 5c coin (because its worthless) and/or the $100 bill (because it facilitates crime)

Lmao

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Seemlar posted:

People use $20 and $50 more because the ATM won't give them a $100

I recall the RBA was staggered about the demand for $100 notes and the sheer number in circulation, because as you say ATMs don't dispense them and you don't get them as change.

People are clearly hoarding them for some reason, legal or otherwise.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pleasant Friend posted:

Pleasant Friend posted:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
What's that? Put tap and go on pokies? Why what a good idea!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I all am all for getting rid of all cash, so long as no loving private company can get 3-10% of fees from every loving transaction.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Comstar posted:

I all am all for getting rid of all cash, so long as no loving private company can get 3-10% of fees from every loving transaction.

Sounds like a case for the Blockchain (TM)!

Instead of a $100 note, you get an NFT of a $100 note, individualised. In some of them Gen. Monash has a gold tooth, in others he's wearing a pimp hat.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

quote:

I refer to an incident which occurred in April 2019 ... a meeting occurred for the relevant newly appointed ministers responsible for trade and investment.

Mr Barilaro had been appointed the NSW minister for trade, approximately one month earlier, and attended this meeting. Also, in attendance was the then treasurer, the Hon Dom Perrottet and the Hon Stuart Ayres, who was appointed minister for investment.

After this meeting, Mr Barilaro came directly to my office.

He said, ‘I’ve just come from a meeting with Dom and Stuart regarding trade and we’re going to bring back the agent general in London as well as a bunch of other postings around the world.’

He then stated, ‘This is it; this is the job for when I get the gently caress out of this place.’

I responded to Mr Barilaro and stated, ‘But, John, the agent general role will be filled well before you retire from this place.’

Mr Barilaro then said, ‘I don’t want to go to London, gently caress that – I’m off to New York.’

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Do the nerds wanting to get rid of cash just adore targeted ads and surveillance or what?

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
cash only Indian at the food court :getin:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Welsper posted:

Do the nerds wanting to get rid of cash just adore targeted ads and surveillance or what?

I don’t see ads because I use an ad blocker like a normal person

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Untraced transactions are great and so are recreational drugs

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Lord Bude posted:

I don’t see ads because I use an ad blocker like a normal person

It’s not about you seeing ads my guy.

It’s about the ads seeing you.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

I don't think that's making the difference it's just back end computer touching the govt can't be hosed with any more. I thought you preferred more efficient outsourced functions?

amazing how privatisation/outsourcing is bad until Victoria does it. Like this isn't supposed to be some state vs state slapfight but its loving rich where over the past 10 years Victorians have been throwing shade at both NSW and QLD and yet unironically support privatisation of VicRoads.

Has even NSW or QLD done a similar thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Recoome posted:

amazing how privatisation/outsourcing is bad until Victoria does it. Like this isn't supposed to be some state vs state slapfight but its loving rich where over the past 10 years Victorians have been throwing shade at both NSW and QLD and yet unironically support privatisation of VicRoads.

Has even NSW or QLD done a similar thing?

nah the part privatisation of vicroads is, just like qld and nsw, objectively bad.