Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

adeadcrab posted:

So how did Albo lose the weight anyway?

Same way most pollies do I reckon. Good healthy food, plenty of exercise and a decent helping of meth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ss7xh0isMU

She just gets incredibly good answers, ends the interview quite quickly and cuts to a comedy short bashing Labor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g22gkLsfUuc

In comparison, Frydenberg gets FIVE MINUTES more time to speak and much softer questions.

Generally speaking, I think Albanese's big problem as opposition leader is he can't really improvise and he's been gun shy of committing to anything until it has obvious support so the media doesn't use it to attack him. When he was just a minister/shadow minister he was much more assertive in his speech because it was specific and limited in scope.

Its good to see him back in form. Obviously this is a special occasion so he's had lots of notes and prep but he loving sold it. I hope he and Labor gain more confidence now since the election is so close.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

adeadcrab posted:

https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1503556487859245060

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Joke's on them for thinking Albo's going to convince anyone. :v:

Also I know this was the last thread but I am the self-proclaimed bicycle lunatic, and I am going to perpetuate this vicious... cycle... :rimshot:

Laserface posted:

My friend built me an E-Bike since i moved to the inner west and I was using those Lime rental bikes to get around (usually walking 5min in the wrong direction to get one only to find it damaged when I got there) and its honestly the sickest way to get around.

mine is VERY ILLEGAL because it has a throttle for motor control and our government are loving stupid. Mandating that they can only be pedal assist creates a nice little market for Bosch to sell their bikes and keep cheaper (read: hackable) bikes out of the market and out of reach of others.

cops dont really seem to give a gently caress at the moment but im sure as they become more popular they will start paying attention to them.

but yeah my commute to Homebush via car is 15-20min if I avoid the toll roads, if I ride my e-bike it'll be about 30min along the bike routes (longer route too)

we absolutely need more bike infrastructure too. even where its pretty decent like around here/the city bike lanes kinda just start and finish in weird spots and you have to really plan your route ahead of time if you want to stick to the bike lanes. the narrower streets that are busy I tend to get up on the footpath and just cruise along at regular-push-bike speeds to avoid hitting someone.

the bike route to my office is an extra 5km vs just going down parramatta rd the whole way, which lol if you think that is ever a good idea as a cyclist.

In a lot of our cities we're actually at the point the city needs to start taking space away from cars, particularly lanes on direct routes to major activity centres, and giving it to people who walk, bike and take public transport in the form of protected bike lanes, bus lanes, etc. But obviously people living in affected areas will pitch a fit over that if they're not already walking, cycling, etc, coz they don't like the idea that maybe the place they moved into 10+ years ago has changed to a point that they themselves will also have to change, and drivers who have no other option besides driving will freak out coz they probably don't realise that the removal of lanes disincentivises driving enough that their transport time likely won't be as badly affected as they think... if at all.

(Before anyone asks about disabled people who have no option besides driving... Odds are this wouldn't affect them as badly as one would think, because as I implied earlier - people who have other modes of transport will move to them, and you don't actually have to dissuade that many people off the road to see a drastic improvement to transport times coz cars occupy enough space for 4+ people yet generally only have one occupant. That, and there's also a substantial cohort of people who are disabled but have no option or simply prefer to walk, bike, or take public transport. There's people for whom sitting in a car is agony for their arthritis but will cheerfully cycle a trike or whatevs, yet we rarely hear about them coz all glory to the automotive hegemony).

EoinCannon posted:

I understand where you're coming from about the pedal assist bikes being way more expensive and limiting than DIY jobs

I just reckon a bike with throttle control is more or less a motorbike and shouldn't be on a mup
Dunno how you enforce that kind of thing anyway except posting up a cop by the Yarra trail

The idea is that the pedelec and 25kmph speed limit thing a.) brings it in line with ebike standards in other parts of the world (to make importation easier and more affordable) and b.) it allows the law to make an easy distinction between ebikes and motorbikes. Which doesn't sound that important until you realise that in some parts of the world, riding on the footpath is legal, and while a reasonablly fit person on a fancy racing bike could regularly reach 40kmph, they're not going to do that with the consistency and frequency someone on an ebike or escooter would (... and I imagine the number of people with fancy racing bikes and the requisite level of fitness are far outnumbered by ebike owners, but don't quote me on that one).

Riding on the footpath is legal here in Perth, and there's already been a few incidents of people getting hit and badly injured by illegally modified ebikes or people illegally riding dirt bikes on either the footpath or the PSP. Like, I get peoples frustration with the speed limit - I am passed by people on regular bikes while riding my ebike to work or the gym all the time - but the line had to be drawn somewhere and this seems like a reasonable compromise for the majority of use cases.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

adeadcrab posted:

Cut out cannoli

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Animal Friend posted:

Generally speaking, I think Albanese's big problem as opposition leader is he can't really improvise and he's been gun shy of committing to anything until it has obvious support so the media doesn't use it to attack him.

The last bloke presented policies that would affect a very small amount of people, the media used it to shred him and lost the election. Why would Albo make the same mistake? They're best to play it very safe until they win and then they can pretty much do whatever for three years.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Yeah normally I’d be against this small target strategy, but after that bullshit of the last election I reckon it’s the right way to play it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i think you'll find cities need more cars not less.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
more cars AND more no standing zones

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

and a fleet of tow trucks just waiting to pounce

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Scott Morrison announces an increase to newstart.

April Fools

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It's called JobSeeker now

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh yeah....

God drat it!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Look it wouldn't be an Anidav joke without first trying to tell the joke and then failing the joke altogether.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Anidav posted:

Look it wouldn't be an Anidav joke without first trying to tell the joke and then failing the joke altogether.

Talking about the self in the third person hmmmmmmmm

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

froglet posted:

Joke's on them for thinking Albo's going to convince anyone. :v:

Also I know this was the last thread but I am the self-proclaimed bicycle lunatic, and I am going to perpetuate this vicious... cycle... :rimshot:

In a lot of our cities we're actually at the point the city needs to start taking space away from cars, particularly lanes on direct routes to major activity centres, and giving it to people who walk, bike and take public transport in the form of protected bike lanes, bus lanes, etc. But obviously people living in affected areas will pitch a fit over that if they're not already walking, cycling, etc, coz they don't like the idea that maybe the place they moved into 10+ years ago has changed to a point that they themselves will also have to change, and drivers who have no other option besides driving will freak out coz they probably don't realise that the removal of lanes disincentivises driving enough that their transport time likely won't be as badly affected as they think... if at all.

(Before anyone asks about disabled people who have no option besides driving... Odds are this wouldn't affect them as badly as one would think, because as I implied earlier - people who have other modes of transport will move to them, and you don't actually have to dissuade that many people off the road to see a drastic improvement to transport times coz cars occupy enough space for 4+ people yet generally only have one occupant. That, and there's also a substantial cohort of people who are disabled but have no option or simply prefer to walk, bike, or take public transport. There's people for whom sitting in a car is agony for their arthritis but will cheerfully cycle a trike or whatevs, yet we rarely hear about them coz all glory to the automotive hegemony).

The idea is that the pedelec and 25kmph speed limit thing a.) brings it in line with ebike standards in other parts of the world (to make importation easier and more affordable) and b.) it allows the law to make an easy distinction between ebikes and motorbikes. Which doesn't sound that important until you realise that in some parts of the world, riding on the footpath is legal, and while a reasonablly fit person on a fancy racing bike could regularly reach 40kmph, they're not going to do that with the consistency and frequency someone on an ebike or escooter would (... and I imagine the number of people with fancy racing bikes and the requisite level of fitness are far outnumbered by ebike owners, but don't quote me on that one).

Riding on the footpath is legal here in Perth, and there's already been a few incidents of people getting hit and badly injured by illegally modified ebikes or people illegally riding dirt bikes on either the footpath or the PSP. Like, I get peoples frustration with the speed limit - I am passed by people on regular bikes while riding my ebike to work or the gym all the time - but the line had to be drawn somewhere and this seems like a reasonable compromise for the majority of use cases.

The best solution remains a raised “ T “ shaped skyway thing down the centre of major metropolitan routes (parramatta rd / broadway in Sydney), for cyclists and pedestrians, and maybe a bit of monorail action in there too.

Also by way of an update for the other thing I’m awaiting further legal instruction

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ss7xh0isMU

She just gets incredibly good answers, ends the interview quite quickly and cuts to a comedy short bashing Labor.

jesus christ.

"But do you really expect aged care providers to make less money so that residents eat properly and have appropriate care?"

lih
May 15, 2013

ShoeFly posted:

Yeah normally I’d be against this small target strategy, but after that bullshit of the last election I reckon it’s the right way to play it.

it's fine except when it leads to them being such cowards that they compromise on what very clearly should be core values - things like caving on the high-income tax cuts, playing stupid games with the religious discrimination bill (we got a good outcome from that but it could have easily been terrible), albanese recently refusing to stand up for trans people even when directly pressed on it, etc.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

NPR Journalizard posted:

jesus christ.

"But do you really expect aged care providers to make less money so that residents eat properly and have appropriate care?"

paraphrasing but

Can you guarantee every will get a pay rise, including small business owners?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
https://twitter.com/TheIdiotTax/status/1509682844565532672

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
She's such a sack of poo poo.

lih
May 15, 2013

funniest outcome for all the nsw liberals factional drama is if the courts end up siding with the factions opposing morrison & have all the contentious pre-selections declared void, but after the election has been called right around nominations deadline.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Eediot Jedi posted:

paraphrasing but

Can you guarantee every will get a pay rise, including small business owners?

Can you guarantee that you will not fund infrastructure in either ALP seats or seats that you want to win?

This is such trash reporting.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Leigh has been infected by Malcolm Turnbull and wants a permanent do nothing LNP government.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
But there's no evidence of anti-labor/pro-liberal bias at the ABC :saddowns:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

The best solution remains a raised “ T “ shaped skyway thing down the centre of major metropolitan routes (parramatta rd / broadway in Sydney), for cyclists and pedestrians, and maybe a bit of monorail action in there too.

Also by way of an update for the other thing I’m awaiting further legal instruction

Nah it's to turn a couple of 4-lane car roads into 2-lanes and give the space to pedestrians, cyclists, buses, etc.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Parramatta Road is already full of choke points where the few Right turns are for east bound traffic and the whole inner west becomes a complete grid lock for about an hour or two at the peaks.

The problem is that the jobs are not where people live. Theres no simple solution that problem because its housing affordability, planning, transport and a bunch of other poo poo all rolled into one so nothing will ever be done to fix it.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Laserface posted:

The problem is that the jobs are not where people live.
Except when everyone was allowed to work from home.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Artificial Kid posted:

no one is allowed to work from home because there is commercial landlords starving.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Not only am I not allowed to work from home, it's illegal for me to do so

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Not only am I not allowed to work from home, it's illegal for me to do so

There is always going to be people who have to work on site, but if you took away a lot of the people who didnt, the commute times would improve dramatically.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Yeah the get that, it just rustles my jimmies as an unskilled essential worker when phrasing like

The Artificial Kid posted:

is thrown around that's all.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

My jimmies are what I call my balls btw

lih
May 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/tanya_plibersek/status/1509727244264292361

lol tudge still technically a minister

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
What happens if scomo just doesn't call an election?

Also with the NSW seats they're fighting over, who actually has the final authority or ability to submit the candidates to the AEC?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Spookydonut posted:

Also with the NSW seats they're fighting over, who actually has the final authority or ability to submit the candidates to the AEC?

*bong hit exhale* so the Governor general is supposed to call an election but because the queen is dead but not officially the GG is in a state of limbo with regards to his constitutional power so we will enter a period of lawlessness until Prince Charles is appointed but then because William is planning to challenge the succession slo-mo hahah just a little play on words I came up with, he's gonna have at least 4 months of despotic reign at which point he's going to introduce indue for pensioners *bong bubbling* and furthermore did you know that Charles Manson is a distant relative of the Windsor's

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

IANAL but doesn't the heir immediately legally become the new monarch upon the old one's death, i.e. "the Queen is dead, long live the King?" It's not like actually swearing in a PM or whatever. They're the swearers!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

freebooter posted:

IANAL but doesn't the heir immediately legally become the new monarch upon the old one's death, i.e. "the Queen is dead, long live the King?" It's not like actually swearing in a PM or whatever. They're the swearers!

not a lawyer or a sadomonarchist but I think there is a coronation which marks when they go from heir apparent to monarch.

lih
May 15, 2013

Spookydonut posted:

if an election isn't called by the required time then the governor-general will remove the PM & appoint someone who will call an election.

the only real avenue of constitutional shenanigans for a power-grab that exists is a rogue governor-general, which would probably require the british monarchy to intervene in order to resolve. but any attempt by a PM to use a loyalist governor-general for a power grab still wouldn't be able to legislate (as if the governor-general refuses to remove PM after not calling an election when required, the parliament is dissolved as its term has ended and if the governor-general refuses to appoint a new PM/cabinet after the previous one lost the election, the old one obviously wouldn't have the ability to legislate), only govern via executive action, and would be blatantly illegitimate.

lih fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Eediot Jedi posted:

not a lawyer or a sadomonarchist but I think there is a coronation which marks when they go from heir apparent to monarch.

No, the Coronation is just a Symbolic formality. Legally speaking the very instant Queen Elizabeth dies Charles becomes the new King.