Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
baby bottle pops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

human love and interaction

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
basic hygene

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
making good posts

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

jim gaffigan saying"Hot Pockets"

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

YOU JUST LOST TEH GAME

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

5 golden manbabies

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
When using spoiler tags to denote non-spoilers was a probatable offense

edit: also maddox

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Lars is the best loving drummer there is, dipshit!

Posted by W|NTERMUTE on February 15, 2004

In the early days of the forums, you’d often find “greatest band/musician whatever of *insert genre/time-period/etc*” threads that don’t crop up all that often these anymore. At this time there was a lot more leniency towards trolling and general assholeishness as the forums were smaller and the shenanigans less rampant. As such, I would (all too often, I think) pipe into such threads to air what were generally aggressive opinions about certain groups or artists I felt were atrocious and/or a product of cleaver marketing.

In one such thread there was a debate regarding Metallica in which Fiwer uttered those famous words, “Lars is the best loving drummer there is, dipshit!”, a sentence that would haunt him until his demise. I, in turn, landed the custom title that I still seem to be stuck with – and rightly so.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

EorayMel posted:

making good posts

it’s “hasn’t thought about in a long time” not “has never thought about”

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Algebra

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

how to knot a tie

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Your mom

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Lowtax

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

P-p-p-powerbook.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The hobo guy photoshops were pretty rad ngl

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sunlight and fresh air

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
posting

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
2 posts per hour in the student loan thread

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
edit: no wait, I change my answer to Helldump

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

:aatrek:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Being in any way useful member of society

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

their own moms

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Penis in ear = dance all night

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Illuminati vs. Resistance

Posted by Fistgrrl on February 12, 2004

In 2001, most of the GBS moderators and admins hung out in IRC all day and enjoyed lots of cliquefukery at the expense of hapless posters not in the know. While Lowtax was moving from CA to WA, the drama got a bit crazy and poster Hail Brak was accused of being "Ambien" a goon who had allegedly committed suicide due to the forums and a girlfriend's death. The mods and their IRC friends were accused of creating drama and ruining the forums. They seized the idea of being the Illuminati and shortly after a Resistance was created.

A few months later, the Illuminati went head-to-head with elpintogrande and started a forum war which ended with the demodding of most of them. During the drama, most of which began on IRC, several new forums were created and the old Goldmine was deleted.

Posted by Jamesface on February 14, 2004

This also gave rise to the catchphrase "There is no illuminati."

Posted by Bonk on February 15, 2004

Just to append to Fistgrrl's record of things, I still have no clue where the idea that I was Ambien came from. I talked to him over ICQ when he was still around, and his story seemed convincing enough to me. So when people started bashing him, I was one of the only ones to defend him, and I guess that defensiveness turned into accusations that we were the same person for some reason. Though finding out was as simple as asking a mod to compare IP addresses, or talking to people who knew both of us. I think he lived in Denver or something though, whereas I live in upstate New York. Anyway, I had no part in the drama shitstorm, because all of this speculation was done behind my back, and I wanted no part of it anyway so I pretty much removed myself from it.

I do, however, remember there being 'secret' IRC channels that were invite-only, and that's where the 'Illuminati' concept came from. Mostly just people trying to be IRC elitists.

Posted by Cap'n Yoaz on August 30, 2004

The IRC dramarama started when the mod/admin crew became the same people who were the IRC elitist losers. Al was the ringleader and his cronies were Rainbow Blight/Icenine, and jre, among others. Basically they started ruining the place by banning people the IRC inner circle didn't like (Fistgrrl, for example) and editing posts they didn't agree with, and generally being shitfuckers.

I hung out in the IRC channel some, but since I was never in the inner circle I never knew what the gently caress was going on until the poo poo began hitting the fan.

I started having trouble with them when they started loving with TastyArmageddon and I made a nonsense rant about it, trying to infuse humor with commentary. Rainbow promptly edited it into a kitten picture. This pissed me off so much that I asked to be banned, because I felt that she, along with the other IRC circlejerk crowd, had ruined the forums. That caused a big flap, which prompted Rainbow to promise that I was not banned.

The religious debate thing was me being banned by Al for not agreeing with jre in a religious thread. I at first thought my account was hacked, not banned, and e-mailed Lowtax about being hacked. By the time Lowtax got the e-mail and reinstated me, Rainbow and jre had let the forum know that I was actually banned and they were the ones responsible, and that enraged the hell out of me.

I kept away from the forums for awhile, then came back when I noticed jre lying about the whole event and got in another flamewar with him. I finally e-mailed Lowtax privately to ban me because I couldn't stand Rainbow and jre as mods. He never responded, so I asked for it publicly in FYAD and got permabanned by an anonymous admin account who I later found out was EPG.

I didn't care about it until I noticed that one of my e-mail accounts had been tampered with, one that had the same (non-obvious) password as my forum account. I emailed Lowtax about it and was brushed off. I went to some other forums (flame4cash) and bad-mouthed Lowtax for letting that poo poo happen, because I'm stupid like that.

Time passed, and jre and Rainbow finally hosed up the forums enough to piss off Lowtax and get themselves demodded. They and their IRC clique got themselves banned by EPG when he spied on them talking poo poo in the IRC channel.

I was writing piss-poor comedy for Loz at the time, and he set up some forums on his site. That's where the banned IRC crowd landed and started publicly bad-mouthing Lowtax, EPG, and the forums, and I let them because I don't like to censor people and I somewhat agreed with them at the time. That's when and how EPG got his name filtered to "Evil Oppressive Destroyer of the Forums", or something along those lines.

Things cooled down somewhat, and EPG granted some amnesty. I got myself banned again shortly afterward for bringing up the circumstances of my permaban in a Lowtax thread. jre got banned for demanding to get his mod/admin powers back shortly after that, no doubt feeling cocky after the "Mars Fleet Leader" incident. Rainbow ditched the forum because jre was banned. Al went loving nuts a bit later down the road.

SEE ALSO: fy,z

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
yall remember bit torrent?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Qqqq Qqqqqqq,

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
hi. can i have some winamp

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Mangosteen

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Pele

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Files forum, BearShare limewire Pirate Bay ect...

Capitalizing sentences and proper punctuation.

lowtax

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

that one forum (not on SA) that was filled with posts by just one guy, except he had another account on it where he roleplayed as Nurse Joy from Pokemon and he would make posts about being married to her and then would use the Nurse Joy account to respond to himself and act like they were in a fun relationship

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Goon Boots posted:

that one forum (not on SA)

LF

or perhaps Something Sensitive?

Does Awful Yearbook count?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
4chan and moot in general.

Maddox.

Slenderman.

Tucker Max.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Bonsai kittens

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
dare

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

a kid in my elementary DARE class asked the cop if they ever killed someone and he got sent to the counselor

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Chinatown posted:

a kid in my elementary DARE class asked the cop if they ever killed someone and he got sent to the counselor

maybe the cop should have been sent to the counselor?

kid's going places