Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Dementropy posted:

There's probably a good reason for this OP.

(I always knew growing up in up-up-upstate NY would pay off someday, and now I can finally shine!)

There are two types of small towns in Upstate NY - rural areas, and mill towns (the latter usually located near the Hudson or some Dutch-named creek/"crick"/kill. There are only so many ways to configure towns like these.

In the mid-late 80s, a lot of these places went under. The farms sold off their livestock, and the hangover of Reganomics set in hard.

From the late-90s until today, there have been people attempting to revitalize these formerly depressed/abandoned areas to turn them into vacation spots for people from NYC and other locations. Hudson, NY is a prime example of this, and it thrives because it's a straight drive north from the city and is in close proximity to tourist destinations in Massachusetts, like Tanglewood and Great Barrington. The issue is that there is a LOT of New York outside of NYC and Westchester County, and it's not always convenient for people to visit (or live year round) in like Constableville or Osceola (two of many towns with populations that don't exceed 250 people each).

But yeah, run-down towns like that are not just in NY - you can find them all over the Northeast and New England.

Was looking for the post that specifically addressed the question of why upper NY has abandonded places.

So what New England town or region are you referring too. I live in Providence RI, and New England decay is nowhere as bad as other parts of the country. We dont have decay the same way as Baltimore. (Lived there)

zaepg fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

one of the several medium sized towns I grew up in burnt to the ground in like 18-dickie-2 and the downtown was all rebuilt with the same color dark red brick. So a perfect 5 square blocks of identical turn of that century architecture of what looked kind of like a cowboy town with the false third floor facade etc. they passed laws that all construction had to match the brick for fire reasons.

the town was a suburb of a suburb and people with money discovered it frozen in time and it became a little enclave of flyover state money with a town square and a gazebo where people have weddings etc

no job market of course so it was all well off retirement aged people and their accidental late in life children from their third marriage and then my parents cosplaying as hobbits

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Hatsune Mike posted:

A lot of Northern California looks like this too. I think of it as “empty strip mall Americana” and I elected to move to another country because of it. Hope that helps op

Did you move to Japan? Is it weeaboo paradise?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

zaepg posted:

Was looking for the post that specifically addressed the question of why upper NY has abandonded places.

So what New England town or region are you referring too. I live in Providence RI, and New England decay is nowhere as bad as other parts of the country. We dont have decay the same way as Baltimore. (Lived there)

I used to go to small towns in western MA, and even those throughout NH (from the outskirts of Nashua on up to the Presidential Mountains), Maine - and you can even find pockets in PA along the Del Water Gap. Almost anywhere there were old mill towns that were too isolated to reach the bigger cities, or that couldn't be expanded due to lack of industry/land that couldn't be developed just kinda... froze and dwindled over time.

For disclosure, I grew up in the area right where NY, MA, and CT meet.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zaepg posted:

Person living in the NYC from Escape from New York: "Sure it's not great, but it's much nicer than Bartertown from Mad Max."

If you're comparing the place you live with Baltimore or Detroit, then lmao.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

ellasmith posted:

yeah i'm not talking about NYC there. but literally everywhere else.

main street:

every house is some variant on this:

literally any place in NY state with less than 100k people looks exactly like this

Those are the only kind of structures that can withstand the harsh conditions

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Middle America doesn't really have a lot of resources to exploit unless you just want to grow a ton of food, So there's no real reason for people to live east of the Rockies and west of the Mississippi.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
In 50 years all those areas will be filled with fully-autonomous factories.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

the mill/mine/dicksucking factory just plum gave out back in '84.

Mineville new york - guess what they dont have in that town any longer

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

BigBadSteve posted:

Did you move to Japan? Is it weeaboo paradise?

More like functioning metro system and relatively decent consumer protection paradise

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
That looks exactly like PA or Ohio. I live in a village of 150 or so people, and the houses look just like the second picture. The cool thing is, 4 or 5 of them are being completely stripped and redone, which makes my village look a lot nicer, and further increases our property values. It's a really smart investment if you have the capital. However, it won't be long before the entire area gets a few planned subdivisions and shopping centers, and suburbia devours the rural area, as Columbus becomes larger. At that point I'll be ready to move even further away from people. At least I'll be a pretty good remodeler by then.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

It's been a while since I've seen these guys. Has the guido look died out along with myspace? Anyway, taken to the extreme:

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

busalover posted:

In 50 years all those areas will be filled with fully-autonomous factories.

Where will the demand for all those factories come from when the only people who have any money will number in the lower 6 digits?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Valko posted:

It's been a while since I've seen these guys. Has the guido look died out along with myspace? Anyway, taken to the extreme:

mr trudeau?

naem
May 29, 2011

Yaldabaoth posted:

Where will the demand for all those factories come from when the only people who have any money will number in the lower 6 digits?

from the private security armys protecting the wealthy from the unwashed masses of the unemployed

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
There's apparently a town in New York called Horseheads.

https://www.horseheads.org/

Seems like a happening place, probably lots of horses.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
upstate new york holds a place called crumtown, which i think is relevant. it's like a road with two houses on it

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

upstate new york holds a place called crumtown

famous for their podcasts

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

upstate new york holds a place called crumtown, which i think is relevant. it's like a road with two houses on it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coxsackie,_New_York

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

It's because RZA stalks New York with a black pitchfork.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

This is entertainment in Greene County, if not most of Upstate, NY.

lovely bowling for the kids and off-track betting for everyone else.

I take that back. Catskill has (had?) an ornate theater that was converted from stage shows to movies.

But yeah. OTB is huge up there.

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

There's a city called Amsterdam in upstate NY. I smoked weed there. Welp, that's my upstate NY story.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
If a small town is actually a good place to live then people will just keep moving there until it grows into a proper city. Small towns that never grew into cities were never good places to live.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If Sim City 2000 taught me anything its that we should all be living in mile-high self contained arcologies by now.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Yaldabaoth posted:

If a small town is actually a good place to live then people will just keep moving there until it grows into a proper city. Small towns that never grew into cities were never good places to live.

Having lived in Upstate NY near both Schenectady and Troy, your statement rings hollow.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Did you miss the part where it is called “cock sackey” ?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Vakal posted:

If Sim City 2000 taught me anything its that we should all be living in mile-high self contained arcologies by now.

The rich will be living in those if escaping to Mars aboard the Musk Rockets isn't feasible.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

Dementropy posted:

I take that back. Catskill has (had?) an ornate theater that was converted from stage shows to movies.

Oh man I used to shoot pool here with my buddy, Catskill sucks though so now we go to a bowling alley in Kingston, movin on up babyy

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Yaldabaoth posted:

If the small town supports a limited number of jobs, people don't move there. You see this all over new england where there's a small town with a university. There's not much growth but the towns are idyllic places to live / have a family / be a kid in.

However the vast majority of towns and small cities don't have enough jobs for their population due to the decline of farming & loss of small industry. So they all look run-down and depressed because no money. And then they vote for people with easy lies & blame instead of hard answers and everything gets worse.

naem
May 29, 2011

Klyith posted:

If the small town supports a limited number of jobs, people don't move there. You see this all over new england where there's a small town with a university. There's not much growth but the towns are idyllic places to live / have a family / be a kid in.

However the vast majority of towns and small cities don't have enough jobs for their population due to the decline of farming & loss of small industry. So they all look run-down and depressed because no money. And then they vote for people with easy lies & blame instead of hard answers and everything gets worse.

describes my childhood and reason for leaving exactly

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's called a community op, something probably before your time

not that there weren't problems with it

naem
May 29, 2011

Helena Bonham Carter is there too as a lady creature but again not as a part of the movie she just keeps showing up in a costume

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

Dementropy posted:

They used to have a big zoo up there, and some old-west town thingy. All that went away sometime around the turn of the century. I want to believe the old west place is a giant meth lab now and they store all their proceeds in the fake bank that would get robbed three times a day. I think someone tried to turn the zoo into glamping or something and failed miserably when nobody wanted to sleep in the elephant barn or whatever.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Effective-Disorder posted:

I think someone tried to turn the zoo into glamping or something and failed miserably when nobody wanted to sleep in the elephant barn or whatever.

yeah, they turned the giraffe house into an airbnb
https://www.theoldgamefarm.com/

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

what's up with shoes in new york? why everybody there always wearin shoes?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

fresh_cheese posted:

Not after the first 18 years.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

Howard Beale posted:

yeah, they turned the giraffe house into an airbnb
https://www.theoldgamefarm.com/

lol

If you asked 8 year old me what the future was going to be like, I probably wouldn't have guessed "They turn the big zoo in the woods into a weird bed and breakfast."

I remembered that the old west place was called Carson City. Apparently it never turned into a meth lab as far as anyone knows.

https://aroundcarson.com/2008/05/23/carson_city_and_indian_village/

They could have just turned that into an airbnb... Except with real blackjack and hookers, that would be cool. Otherwise the main draw of that place was the opportunity to annoy the poo poo out of our parents with those die-cast zinc cap guns that held long rolls of paper caps for like a week afterwards or however long it took for them to get taken away.

My most clear memory of the game farm was the smell of animal poo poo everywhere, not high on my list of places I'd want to actually stay a night. That and Greene county isn't exactly on anyone's list of "Oh poo poo we must go there!" I think there's a microbrewery that makes decent pizza somewhere in those parts though.

edit: Wasn't there also a water park up there?

Effective-Disorder fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 24, 2022

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Catskill Game Farm was such a miserable place. It was part of an "educational field trip" every year in junior high. Let mid-Upstate be known for Greene County and Justin Resnick commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZacUz5u-rQ

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

fresh_cheese posted:

i visited west coxsackie one time because a friend rented a venue there for her wedding. it was a beautiful area, but the town seemed fairly dead. the locals told us the correct pronunciation was something like "CAWK - sah - key". we of course had been calling it "COCK - sucky" until corrected.

rode an amtrak down to nyc afterward, which was a novel experience for someone who grew up in the south and doesn't travel much. i can't recall ever hearing of passenger train service anywhere near where i live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Always thought it was weird how we have a place called Oxnard here in Cali