Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I was not ready for Spiritfarer to have sidequest about leftist politics, but I'm here for it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Spiritfarer is great and I love everything about Italian union boss grandma lion

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

To put it in perspective, one of Call of Duty's hallmarks, especially in the earlier games was in fact playing a lot of anti-war quotes in the load screens or when you die. The real text of a video game is it's moment-to-moment gameplay, not the Very Special Message at the end where it said 'lol, you played through the game but it's a shooter and you know how worthless that is'.

It was an attempt to elevate a pile of poo poo(the Spec Ops series of budget shooters) with some writing, but ultimately, it's just the same pile of poo poo.
But it's not just anti-war quotes, the is written and made around that concept, and moment to moment gameplay is in fact anti-war as reasonably possible. The whole progression is you making things worse as you go along. You literally mortar some refugees with white phosphorous and have your face rubbed in it because there were some enemies nearby.

It runs into some limitations inherent to the medium but I don't think it's fair to say that it's just CoD with some loading screen quotes.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Alhazred posted:

I was not ready for Spiritfarer to have sidequest about leftist politics, but I'm here for it:

I just started playing shipbreaker cos I like spaceships and I think it's going to be surprising political in that vein

mobby_6kl posted:

But it's not just anti-war quotes, the is written and made around that concept, and moment to moment gameplay is in fact anti-war as reasonably possible. The whole progression is you making things worse as you go along. You literally mortar some refugees with white phosphorous and have your face rubbed in it because there were some enemies nearby.

It runs into some limitations inherent to the medium but I don't think it's fair to say that it's just CoD with some loading screen quotes.

Yeah in SO-TL your character just unambiguously fucks everything up, continuously, and it's very clear that you are making everything in this lovely city even worse

plus the whole heart of darkness thing

The game also did some weird poo poo generally

Alctel fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 13, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Alctel posted:

I just started playing shipbreaker cos I like spaceships and I think it's going to be surprising political in that vein

yeah, i've only put in a few hours so far, but reading through the contract you're signing at the beginning of the game is brutal

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
I think the best part of Spec Ops is that it isn't even that fun to play. Enemies are overpowered, controls are clunky, sometimes there are unfair ambushes. Yet you, the player, will power through it all. Why? Because you want to be a hero.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Fish of hemp posted:

I think the best part of Spec Ops is that it isn't even that fun to play. Enemies are overpowered, controls are clunky, sometimes there are unfair ambushes. Yet you, the player, will power through it all. Why? Because you want to be a hero.

Speak for yourself, I just wanted to see how much worse everything could get.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

Alhazred posted:

Spiritfarer is a beautiful game, but it has some frankly unforunate ableism stuff that I did not appreciate as an individual who uses a wheelchair.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Morrow posted:

I noted that it took several real American warcrimes and applied them to the Russian military.

In hindsight, however, it's hard to say that Modern Warfare wasn't accurate in its depiction of the Russian military's propensity for targeting civilians. The games themselves now look incredibly outdated because they envisioned a world where Russia could push to Paris, land on the eastern seaboard, or go toe to toe with NATO.

Who knew recruite would be the accurate mode, but seriously, I bought into that poo poo to a degree, I assumed Russia would be able to gently caress up europe and poo poo but instead they are trying to declare victory over smaller and smaller pieces of territory.

Alctel posted:

Yeah in SO-TL your character just unambiguously fucks everything up, continuously, and it's very clear that you are making everything in this lovely city even worse

plus the whole heart of darkness thing

The game also did some weird poo poo generally

Yeah, also you keep making excuses for your actions throughout and it’s clear while the 44 kinda did “go rogue” that’s only because the CIA decided to make poo poo worse by trying to just “end the situation” and Conrad went hardline “gotta keep the most folks alive” and it spiraled.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lot of people have come off a lot grosser than I thought to me in the wargame world recently- be it strategy or FPS or things like DCS or War Thunder. "Racist against russians" felt fake but suddenly the cold war is cool again. Overwhelmingly people in the community now wank to being an american or brit or for some reason especially german shooting loads of idiot russkies from your vastly superior vehicles. Being a tacticool special operator vs the dumb bad guys. It gets even worse in the WW2 poo poo over modernish poo poo, because suddenly we're back to being ok with preisch supermen space marines defending christendom against asiatic bolshevik hordes like it's 1942. I get the appeal of not playing a force actually, actively committing war crimes as we speak, but uh, you never had a problem playing USMC, you're playing as the literal OG nazis who did the loving Shoah right now...

Also, Spec Ops is the most overrated FPS ever. The gameplay is terrible and the story is a rehash of a rehash of a book from 120 years ago. I feel like the people who rave about it never tried playing it.

e: Spec Ops is actually worse as a third person cover shooter, not even an FPS, but ya get my meaning, the only mechanic you engage with is run around and shoot dudes with your gun

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 18, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still think Hotline Miami is a good companion and counter-argument to games like Spec Ops. "We're playing a game, aren't we?" "You mean you haven't enjoyed it?" "That's a shame!"

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm willing to give Spec Ops a lot of credit for the sincere attempt under severely limiting circumstances.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm willing to give Spec Ops a lot of credit for the sincere attempt under severely limiting circumstances.

i think it does its message better then last of us part 2 and i actually liked part 2 for the most part.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

Discendo Vox posted:

To think they had planned a "call for extraction" button that would yield different endings according to how much hosed up poo poo you did, or y'know, how far along the story you were.

I heard it was nixed due to studio pressure along the line of "we can't sell a 10-minute game".

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

MassiveSky posted:

To think they had planned a "call for extraction" button that would yield different endings according to how much hosed up poo poo you did, or y'know, how far along the story you were.

I heard it was nixed due to studio pressure along the line of "we can't sell a 10-minute game".

That would have fixed a lot of the complaints players had with their own agency in the plot, imo. The game is really trying to make you, the player, feel like poo poo for doing all this stuff but the player doesn't have much of a choice if they want to see the rest of the plot so a lot of it kinda feels unfair.

The devs once mentioned that you do, in fact, have a choice: you can just turn off the game. I always found this pretty unsatisfying -- Like, what's the in-universe explanation if you put it down for a while and then come back to the save? Does your character just hang out for a month or two to wait for Kratos or John Marston to finish his adventure? Having an actual, in-universe way to say "gently caress this, I'm out" would have solved a lot of this dissonance.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 26, 2022

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ninjahedgehog posted:

That would have fixed a lot of the complaints players had with their own agency in the plot, imo. The game is really trying to make you, the player, feel like poo poo for doing all this stuff but the player doesn't have much of a choice if they want to see the rest of the plot so a lot of it kinda feels unfair.

The devs once mentioned that you do, in fact, have a choice: you can just turn off the game. I always found this pretty unsatisfying -- Like, if you just put it down for a while, does your character just hang out for a month or two to wait for Kratos to finish his adventure or whatever? Having an actual, in-universe way to say "gently caress this, I'm out" would have solved a lot of this dissonance.

Yeah, that's a pretty lame excuse for that- you can turn off any game you want. Games let you do stuff in them, generally, and that factors in very little to Spec Ops.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think that's a fair criticism and a "bail out" button would be a decent solution to that. That said, I think to some degree you can also see it as an interactive movie with a story that the creators want to tell. And it includes you powering through to the end of your journey.

The button would also have its own weakness I feel. Suppose you bailed 15 minutes in when you have to shoot some soldiers. Cut to you sitting in your base cleaning the rifle or something. The end. Good job I suppose? I don't think it would be meaningful or satisfying unless you've already seen how things end.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There was also supposed to be a whole second route and path through the game based around NOT deploying the white phosphorous (which was also supposed to be extremely hard and unfair), but it got cut so you had no choice in it instead

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Just add an Ace Attorney-type disciplinary/JAG segment that depends on what you did. The more crimes you did, the more you'll be accused of, but the more the brass will have your back.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

The devs once mentioned that you do, in fact, have a choice: you can just turn off the game. I always found this pretty unsatisfying -- Like, what's the in-universe explanation if you put it down for a while and then come back to the save? Does your character just hang out for a month or two to wait for Kratos or John Marston to finish his adventure? Having an actual, in-universe way to say "gently caress this, I'm out" would have solved a lot of this dissonance.

i mean thats the issue i have with last of us 2. but also i am mixed on that i don't think abby was that wrong outside maybe going a little to far but basicaly everyone in that game outside dina and a couple others are loving broken.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

I think that's a fair criticism and a "bail out" button would be a decent solution to that. That said, I think to some degree you can also see it as an interactive movie with a story that the creators want to tell. And it includes you powering through to the end of your journey.

The button would also have its own weakness I feel. Suppose you bailed 15 minutes in when you have to shoot some soldiers. Cut to you sitting in your base cleaning the rifle or something. The end. Good job I suppose? I don't think it would be meaningful or satisfying unless you've already seen how things end.

i think my issue is how the game gives you "justifications" and then gets mad at you for acting on them. like in beginning with the refugees jumping you or when you save that soldier and he ambushes you and you see the soldiers attacking the civilians. i get the point of the game but it never plays fair.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think my issue is how the game gives you "justifications" and then gets mad at you for acting on them. like in beginning with the refugees jumping you or when you save that soldier and he ambushes you and you see the soldiers attacking the civilians. i get the point of the game but it never plays fair.

Why should it play fair? War isn't fair.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think SOTL not giving you perfect agency is OK because it also does so much work with its third-person perspective. Walker isn't you, but his own character, and he gradually takes more and more control away from you as the game progresses. This gives some extra resonance to the ending, where the cinematic framing of the suicide choice ends up simply presenting him as one of two characters in this morality play for you to condemn.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

People's insistence on seeing Spec-Ops as criticism of the player rather than the character \ genre is... fully expected really, given the state of media literacy in gaming circles.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fish of hemp posted:

Why should it play fair? War isn't fair.

bad wording on my part. i think its more that the game goes out of the way to "force" you into fights but gets mad at you for that.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Xander77 posted:

People's insistence on seeing Spec-Ops as criticism of the player rather than the character \ genre is... fully expected really, given the state of media literacy in gaming circles.

I mean, to be fair, a good portion of the game's online notoriety comes from the creepy meta-nature of the loading screens that directly involve the player as part of its commentary.
"Do you feel like a hero yet?"
"If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here."
"To kill for yourself is murder. To kill for your government is heroic. To kill for entertainment is harmless."
"The US military doesn't condone the killing of unarmed combatants. But this isn't real, so why should you care?"

All four of those are presented within the exact same context right alongside generic gameplay tips. The majority of them make sense as some kind of internal monologue for Walker's psyche as his own character, if you want to read them that way... but others simply don't, which just blurs the line of what the game is actually trying to criticize between the genre and the consumers. Reading "If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here" immediately prior to another screen that says "To kill for entertainment is harmless" makes the latter sound so much more bitingly sarcastic than I think it was intended to be, with how it freely swaps between talking about Walker and the player with no clear divide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean thats the issue i have with last of us 2. but also i am mixed on that i don't think abby was that wrong outside maybe going a little to far but basicaly everyone in that game outside dina and a couple others are loving broken.

Abby was part of a fascist militia that killed children and tortured people.