Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

nomad2020 posted:

If I do stick with engineering, I plan to finish off most of the lower classes at CC. Which gives me another ~year to work out the details and apply to more scholarships. Current plan is to slog through the calculus series (next term is pre-calc) and other assorted transfer credits.

Gratz!

serious engineering programs are no joke, and if your current math state is not yet pre-calc then it's gonna be a real grind. I 100% like your attitude on all this and hope you succeed, but I also want to suggest you make sure you have finances sorted out and a backup job plan in case during year 2 of the engineering major coursework you decide it's not for you after all

also if you're not attached to a particular flavor of engineering, may wanna scope out potential landing spots (future jobs at places you may have connections or be able to get internships, etc.) before fixating on one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

pmchem posted:

serious engineering programs are no joke, and if your current math state is not yet pre-calc then it's gonna be a real grind. I 100% like your attitude on all this and hope you succeed, but I also want to suggest you make sure you have finances sorted out and a backup job plan in case during year 2 of the engineering major coursework you decide it's not for you after all

also if you're not attached to a particular flavor of engineering, may wanna scope out potential landing spots (future jobs at places you may have connections or be able to get internships, etc.) before fixating on one

I absolutely appreciate the advice. Assuming contingencies clear here in the next couple weeks, it looks like work will be footing the bill. This both makes my decision easier and harder given that I can afford to shop programs a bit more.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

nomad2020 posted:

I absolutely appreciate the advice. Assuming contingencies clear here in the next couple weeks, it looks like work will be footing the bill. This both makes my decision easier and harder given that I can afford to shop programs a bit more.

having your employer pay for your STEM degree is an extreme win. good stuff