Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don’t really get doing an MBA with an analytics emphasis as you can do DA stuff without the MBA for cheaper and if you do an MBA I think you should set your ambitions somewhat higher than data guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I feel like for data analytics certs and such are fine, no need to go for a full masters.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think online school is dumb as gently caress and am trying to find ways for you to do less of it but if you absolutely need that poo poo to advance sure go ahead

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Baddog posted:

a large part of business school is getting friendly with a bunch of people who you can reach out to throughout your career, and it is a lot harder to do that online.

But doesn't sound like you're really interested in all that! So paying way less just to get the actual meat of the courses is probably good. MBA should involve a lot more presentations (online is weird), and paper writing than an MS, which you also might not be interested in.... but I think its good to get those reps with honest critiques of your communication.

I agree, a MBA without the network seems sort of like buying a car without wheels. You've got most of the cost but none of the utility. And the point of the network is it's an external network - you may love your company and want to stay there forever, but your company probably doesn't love you back enough to never lay you off if times get tough. That's when you want that network of (at least nominally) high-value, highly networked people outside of your company.

teemolover42069 posted:

the job postings specifically say they require either a 4 year bachelor's or a 2 year master's degree in the field at my company for these roles. and i may be able to get 'em to pay for it completely too

I assume you've internally networked and talked to people and stuff and figured out whether this is an honest to God requirement or not. Lots of places will list requirements like that but for internal candidates they're not necessarily actual requirements.

I didn't care for a lot of aspects of school, and it sounds like you don't either, so I want to be sure that you are positive that this is the easiest path to get to where you want to go.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Recruiters don’t know gently caress all

Get connected to someone who has the kind of job you want at your company and offer to take them to lunch/beers/coffee if you can pick their brain about the job.