Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I came to this forum wondering if there was a thread about this, haha.

I'm thinking about an MBA. Specifically with a focus in data analytics. I don't have a bachelor's in this at all - but I do have a doctorate in a completely unrelated field that will never have any relevance whatsoever. I no longer use this education for anything. I have left the field entirely and do not plan to ever return in any capacity. However, some of the experience I have from it has made it possible for me to find myself essentially teaching credit cards and banking systems to new call center agents. I make about 50k right now and I think it's reasonable for me to expect to keep moving up pretty quickly - when I started here in october of 2021, I made 33k, and I have a team of 14 agents reporting to me now. It kicks rear end, life is great, I've never made anywhere near this kind of money so as piddly as I know it is in the grand scheme of things, I feel downright rich lol. I hope to be officially a trainer within another year, and should be around 65k if I am.

But I keep looking at our job postings. These motherfucking data analytics roles man. They make like 130-150k at my company. I could do that poo poo. But no way will I ever get one of those jobs without a degree in it at the very least.

there is a fully online mba program with a focus in this area in my state for $16k tuition. That really seems reasonable to me considering how much more money I could make. I love working for this company and as far as I'm concerned, this is it. I don't ever plan to leave - I mean to retire working here. But I don't want to cap out at like, 70k.

Has anyone ever gone straight to an MBA without any prior business degree or experience in that realm of academia? If so what was it like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Blurb3947 posted:

If you've got that many people reporting to you you could likely leverage that into much higher paying management roles than you currently do. All depends on your specific experiences but typically employers don't care where your masters or doctorate are in, it just shows that you're committed to something long term.

I don't want to say that going back to school wouldn't be worth it, but your current situation could likely lead you down a similar path without it. Perhaps take a visit to the resume thread and see if its something that people could see you attain based on your details.

I see two paths to the kind of income I want to get to (more than 100k basically) at this company: department manager, which I could reasonably say I'm on the path towards already, or data analytics, which I would almost certainly need a degree in. I'm going to talk to my company's HR department today to see if it's possible to get them to pay for some of the degree and also the recruiters to see if that degree is necessary or would actually move me towards that role. I think an MBA could reasonably make me a better candidate for both roles, but it would be best to make sure about that as best I can before doing anything. But I do have to move fast here because application deadline is 8-16 and classes would start 8-30. I don't have to do it that quickly but I do think that once I've decided I want to do it, I just want to do it. I've done 3 degrees already and I'm not scared of another one, especially fully online, but it would be in addition to my full time job of course. but as it stands right now that's fine, my job absolutely rules and there's plenty of space in my life for classes if I choose.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Well, part of it is that I'm going off of what programs are listed in my job's tuition assistance program. However, they do have MS in data analytics rather than just business, or MBA. I'm definitely not sure yet whether going pure data science or MBA with a concentration in data science is the right move for this.

I found one of the still open data analytics postings at my company and messaged the recruiter asking for more information and whether that degree will move me closer to being a qualified candidate for roles like that, hopefully they'll have some more information for me tomorrow when they're on again.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I feel like for data analytics certs and such are fine, no need to go for a full masters.

the job postings specifically say they require either a 4 year bachelor's or a 2 year master's degree in the field at my company for these roles. and i may be able to get 'em to pay for it completely too

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I think higher education is just a racket and I could easily learn the skills I need through on the job training or free online courses, I have three degrees I don't use at all anymore. I see absolutely no added value in being in person vs being online. If I'm going to have to get another degree to get where I want then at least it can be online. I don't intend to ever work anywhere but from home ever again and I drat sure don't intend to go to a class in person ever again.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I absolutely kick rear end at writing papers and doing presentations, I used to write papers for money actually (sorry everyone). And part of my job role is currently giving presentations to the agents I support. I have written capstone papers for masters degrees I never took a class in, got an A on all of them too. The networking thing I feel like I'm basically getting at my job now - that's part of why I mean to stay at this company forever, because everyone is so supportive of one another here, it is the least toxic work environment I've ever experienced or even heard of tbh. MBA is feeling like the right choice so far. I hope I hear back about the employee tuition assistance program thing soon.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I agree, a MBA without the network seems sort of like buying a car without wheels. You've got most of the cost but none of the utility. And the point of the network is it's an external network - you may love your company and want to stay there forever, but your company probably doesn't love you back enough to never lay you off if times get tough. That's when you want that network of (at least nominally) high-value, highly networked people outside of your company.

I assume you've internally networked and talked to people and stuff and figured out whether this is an honest to God requirement or not. Lots of places will list requirements like that but for internal candidates they're not necessarily actual requirements.

I didn't care for a lot of aspects of school, and it sounds like you don't either, so I want to be sure that you are positive that this is the easiest path to get to where you want to go.

I did reach out to the recruiter, they didn't tell me much of anything except basically "yeah, it's a requirement". I might reach out to another one if I see a different one on a similar posting though because their response was kind of useless

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Recruiters don’t know gently caress all

Get connected to someone who has the kind of job you want at your company and offer to take them to lunch/beers/coffee if you can pick their brain about the job.

we are fully remote and spread all over the US, but I think you're right that it'll be more worthwhile to figure out who actually does this job and ask them the questions I asked the recruiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
as it happens I was accepted to both the tuition assistance program at my company and the university :c00l: so I guess this is happening. 2 classes at a time, fully online is honestly a joke and my job is gonna pay for it entirely. guess we'll probably take a hit at tax return time but oh well.