Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Vinny Possum posted:

I'm 31. I was a big dumbass for most of my twenties, bouncing around various retail jobs. I finished an AA in community college, but then dropped out of university while perusing a degree that would be nearly useless anyway (history). I'm a hard worker, but outside of one very brief stint at a startup that overreached and then had to lay off nearly their entire team, I've hardly ever been more than a dollar or two above minimum wage. I recently accepted a moderately decently paying warehouse job, but as far as I can tell it doesn't have a ton of upward mobility. My current city's community college offers certificates in several areas that I think I could excel at, including dental and medical assisting, facilities maintenance, CIS, and HVAC, as well as several tech-based apprenticeships. Would it be worthwhile to go back to community college part time to earn one of those certificates, or would that be a waste of my time?

How do employers view people who go back to school later in life to learn a trade, and do CC certificates actually look good to employers?

I see so much of myself in this post. I'm 37 and dropped out of SF State in 2008 to join a startup tech company that imploded 3 months after I joined because of the great recession. I fell into bartending and did that until I reached peak bartending: a rooftop union job that was around 100k a year in salary + amazing benefits.

Then the pandemic.

I went back to school and did Western Governors University online, got my Bachelor's in Healthcare Management. Leveraged that (plus my solid interview/communication skills) into a job with a healthcare company as a project coordinator because I've got extensive management experience. Working remote, which absolutely owns.

Now, I'm finishing up my MPH which has already got me in the final throes of landing a job with the Department of Health. Close to 6 figures, tons of upward mobility, incredible benefits, and hybrid/remote.

Aside from the tangible benefits of career advancement, there's a massive, incredibly important emotional/mental component for me that was tying up the loose end. I've always hand-waved away my education in the past and made excuses about how 'school sux' etc, but while bartending I knew that I was selling myself and my potential short. So did my wife, who is the primary reason I have been able to do what I've (read: we've) done.

In addition, we're welcoming our first child in about a month and a half from now, so the new position will ensure that he's got access to incredible health care and that we can take care of him to the best of our abilities and that I'll be able to be here with him and not be gone every night/sleeping in the mornings/destroying my body/hating life as I got older, slinging drinks.

Is going back to school worth it? For me, unequivocally and resounding yes, provided you have a plan and a purpose that you're going to use it to fulfill.

I strongly encourage you to never settle for selling yourself short in whatever capacity that may be, and if you feel that gnawing feeling in your bones, apply yourself and your future self with thank you for it. I only wish I'd done this sooner.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU